Frankland: N gauge Southern Railway

Southernboy

Hello Pete,

The EMUs are on hold, BernardTPM reported a while back:

" ... The N Gauge Society are looking to produce the Southern 8' bogie as a one-piece moulding which could be useful."

So I thought it worth hanging on for those. I don't really want to start without such major components in my hands.

When I do complete them my layout will jump from one with virtually no (proper) stock, to one with a full fleet. I can't wait to have all three lined up neatly in my carriage sidings.

EDIT:

I don't know whether I mentioned this before - but I have some A3 drawings of the original LSWR units from the South Western Circle, so am well prepared in that respect.

Edited by Southernboy

Utterly stunning as always. This is by far my favourite thread on the site - not only is your modelling exquisitely detailed, but the presentation, the overall feel of the 1930s that you manage to create just adds so much to it.

Breathtaking work on the flats, I can imagine Poirot walking down the steps to a waiting taxi.

I really feel like I am living in the layout, and love the amount of background work in photoshop, youtube etc - cannot commend this highly enough!

David

• Like 1

You've said before that you've taken inspiration from the modelling of others in the past, but I really think that the shoe is on the other foot with this one. Not only are you continually improving your own standards of modelling, I think you are constantly raising the benchmark of what is and should be achieved not only in N Gauge, but in the larger scales as well. Its not often that you get to see a layout with such a unique identity while still very much a work in progress and I have to say, I actually never want to see this layout completed! Such is the quality of work I would much rather see a perpetual stream of updates as it progresses!

Edited by Zunnan

Thank you David - that's very flattering.

I'm glad you feel 'drawn in' to the way I see the layout myself - I do think the enjoyment and appreciation of any layout is enhanced when the viewer is aware of the 'bigger picture'. Rather like yourself having a story and history behind each building and road on Cross Street.

Poirot? I'm not sure. I know Miss Lemon was seen viewing one of the flats yesterday (chaperoned by Captain Hastings, of course).

Another broadcast that is, as usual, both informative and entertaining.

I know little about architecture in general, and I don't know why it should be

but 1930s build often gets a second glance from me.

Thanks for sharing

cheers

Thank you again gentlemen, you know how to make a railway modeller feel good!

Thanks also to those who clicked the 'Like This' button, really very much appreciated.

Zunnan:

I hope you realise the telephone junction box was inspired by you! (Remember the PMs you sent me some while back? - and if you look closely you may also notice two GPO manhole covers on the corner - another lesson I quietly digested). I may well model some of the viaduct and bridges next, and I'll be tapping into previous posts of your own for information and to remind me of clever construction techniques.

I do make a big effort to get my modelling 'right'. One of the first lessons I learned was not to rush anything, there's no point, and I'm quite happy to keep plugging away at something until it looks the way I see it in my mind's-eye ... I suppose I have pretty firm ideas about how I want things to be on my layout.

There's still a good five years of modelling to do on this layout at least, so don't panic! And after that? Well something even better is waiting in the wings (I hope).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely amazing - those flats are spot on! I used to walk passed the ones near Stamford Brook and always thought they'd be an impossible modelling challenge, and you've proved me wrong! Whats next?

Simon

Hello Mr Simon,

well currently I'm thinking viaducts and bridges are next. Viaducts because I want to start getting a bit of 'old and worn' to balance the 'new' that Frankland is at the moment, and bridges because they'll be plastered in advertising, which again balances the 'cleanness' of structures to-date.

EDIT:

Oh, and my three EMUs of course. I'm thinking these will be nearer Christmas. I'll need an airbrush, so Christmas is the time of year to think of such indulgent purchases :)

Edited by Southernboy

I thought I had lost this thread as I couldn't remember the name, I won't be letting that happen again!! As many have said your work is amazing and inspirational and I also love the pshop'd period images. Maybe there's space for a newly sprung up Odeon Cinema? :D Looking forward to next installment.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

People can't sit around the wireless knitting and smoking pipes every night - a cinema is essential, and will be based on the Astoria, Brixton:

http://www.flickr.co...y1969/78612805/

http://www.southlond...res/astoria.jpg

I particularly like the jade green tiles on the facing wall behind the dome.

Mark

Edited by Southernboy

• RMweb Premium

Why did I never go to Brixton when I was a Londoner?!? I'm looking forward to seeing that develop - will you be doing the whole frontage? I measured up the old cinema at the end of Queen's Way near Whitley's but then Gresby shrank so I'm saving it for the next layout :D I'll definitely look and learn though!

Simon

Hello Westerner and Mr Simon,

I'm looking forward to making the cinema, although it's some way down the list yet.

The frontage will be modelled in it's entirety. I'll have to compromise on the right hand side of the building, but I should have enough space to include the full length of shop fronts on the left.

I have followed advice elsewhere to come and look at this thread... What can I say? What superlatives can I add that haven't been used already?

Sir, you have absolutely nailed the "London look"... so many characteristic features, in such a small layout, without any of them even getting slightly close to being a cliche... and all in N Scale, too!

The Period music really sets off your Film Clips, too! (It doesn't seem right to call them "video clips", somehow!!)

Fantastic stuff; I shall keep watching. :)

• RMweb Gold

Terrific once again, Mark

The building really captures that 30's architecture and I do like the quote from Corb and the drawing.

You have even captured the look of the Crittall windows too - brilliant!

Standing by my transistor radio awaiting the next update...

Hello F-UnitMad,

" ... so many characteristic features, in such a small layout, without any of them even getting slightly close to being a cliche... "

Thank you: I did make some effort in trying to distill the broad characteristics of what I wanted into a small area - dismissing probably 80% of what I'd 'liked to have had' into that which was purely essential to portray a broad picture. I think ultimately the layout will be better for it.

bcnpete:

I knew you'd appreciate the quote from Corbusier :)

But transistor radios came in from 1954 ... you need to get one with valves to pick up transmissions from Frankland :) I remember as a child my Grandparents valve television set, me standing at the back, watching them slowly warm up over 5 minutes or so, before going round to the front to see a picture gradually come into focus :) I do love old technologies ...

Edited by Southernboy

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Mark (and others)

I received the test shots of our new 8' wheelbase Southern bogies yesterday. I have passed a couple on for evaluation but they look pretty fair to me so hopefully they will be available from the NGS shop early in the New Year and your coaching stock can be shod!

cheers

Ben A.