Frankland: N gauge Southern Railway

Southernboy

Thank you Ben, that's very kind of you to update me. I've been wondering recently when (or if) these were going to be available.

What good news, I've been itching to get on with my 3-SUBS (despite being equally daunted at the prospect!).

How early in the New year do you think this may be: January? February? March?

Many thanks again.

-------------------------------

There's a number of characters quite taken by the fashionable modernity of Frankland: Poirot's secretary Miss Lemon recently took a flat here, a younger Mrs Lopsided regularly comes to visit her sister, and Mrs Bridges and Mr Hudson have retired here.

Meanwhile, there are also the youngsters like George, Julian, Dick, Anne and Timothy. When they get older; during the school holidays; they'll be sent to stay with their Aunt Fanny and Uncle Quentin who live by the seaside, where they'll enjoy lashings of ginger beer and get into all sorts of wholesome adventures.

It's all quite thrilling living here in Frankland you know :)

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 5

Hey

I've got to say your work is amazing! I really enjoyed reading through the construction of your latest building, and it looks brilliant! Much envy indeed!

I must also thank you for the inspiration, as after reading your post, I've finally got off my arse and....well ....sat down at my workdesk to finally cross the line into scratchbuilding buildings. I can't hope to meet your standards in the near future, but I certainly feel inspired to get on and have go!

I'll be eagarly following your progress :D

Regards

Lee

Wonderful stuff!

I love the fact that it's not all about the trains, but is a harmonious picture with buildings, road vehicles, convincing topography etc.

It evokes a real place and time and feeling.

I couldn't dream of working in 2mm now due to my less than good eyesight, but if I could, this would inspire me no end.

Very much enjoying this thread and looking forward to more news from Frankland.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've only just discovered Frankland and personally it's making me want to ditch my baseboards (having multiple alignment problems with them at the moment) and build a LMS variant of Frankland! The whole layout is reminding me of pictures I've seen of Bournville and other 'utopian' towns

how big is Frankland?

how big is Frankland?

If you go right back to the 1st post on this thread you'll see this link to where the story started on RMweb3:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43125

The size is given as 2.1m x 1.1m .... :scratchhead: ...but what that is in Old Money I'm not sure, and surely given the whole 'feel' of this wonderful thread and layout, good, British Imperial should be the measurement of choice... :beee: The interference of the EU is many, many decades away..... :stinker: :D

• Like 1

If you go right back to the 1st post on this thread you'll see this link to where the story started on RMweb3:-

http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=9&t=43125

The size is given as 2.1m x 1.1m .... :scratchhead: ...but what that is in Old Money I'm not sure, and surely given the whole 'feel' of this wonderful thread and layout, good, British Imperial should be the measurement of choice... :beee: The interference of the EU is many, many decades away..... :stinker: :D

English measurement is fine

used to get in trouble in DT for using Imperial measurements since it was the 90's

Just to confirm that in proper measurements Frankland is 3' 4" x 6' 8", (and 78rpm is the speed of our bakelite discs).

There will be an update in two or three weeks time. Be sure to have your wireless set warmed-up :)

Thanks for the interest.

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

On my continued quest to find a decent tree, and inspired by your trees with blossom, I suddenly realised that the 4D shop is only about a 15 minute walk from my office. My first visit was this lunchtime, and a really nice selection have been obtained. It comes thoroughly recommended...

I seem to be getting a fair amount of inspiration from this thread, despite my modelling poison being situated some 6,000 miles - and 80-odd years - distant.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

Just to confirm that in proper measurements Frankland is 3' 4" x 6' 8", (and 78rpm is the speed of our bakelite discs).

There will be an update in two or three weeks time. Be sure to have your wireless set warmed-up :)

Thanks for the interest.

I for one can't wait (have also followed you on the "N gauge forum hope we are allowed to mention that here!) your modelling is a benchmark I can only dream about. Got to go my kippers are ready, never forgotten the "Brighten Belle"

Well it was certainly worth the wait for an update..!!!! Superlatives fail me - where to start?? I'm most impressed by the undersides of the bridges - that is simply incredible stuff and makes the road-level views incredibly realistic even with unfinished scenery!!

• Like 1

Christ Almighty! Where to start?!? Astonishing, each photo bringing new highs in an already astounding thread!

I love the viaduct and track work, and the graphics look just superb - utterly authentic, dripping with character, and completely full of life. This really does set a standard way above anything else on RMweb in my opinion. I run out of words to describe it - simply perfect.

David

• Like 1

This really does set a standard way above anything else on RMweb in my opinion. I run out of words to describe it - simply perfect.

David

I totally agree with David. Fantastically well detailed and presented. It puts pretty much everything else to shame here on RMWeb...

Missy :)

• Like 1