Pictures of Bridport Town

Arthur Budd

• RMweb Gold

That's a really impressive loco, it just has a solid workaday appearence. rolleyes.gif I enjoyed seeing Bridport Town earlier this year & it makes a great setting too! The photos of the yard just suggest Welshpool even if they're not strictly correct. It just shows that things outside your area of interest are worth a look...

• RMweb Premium

That's a really impressive loco, it just has a solid workaday appearence. rolleyes.gif I enjoyed seeing Bridport Town earlier this year & it makes a great setting too! The photos of the yard just suggest Welshpool even if they're not strictly correct. It just shows that things outside your area of interest are worth a look...

Thanks everyone for their kind remarks about the layout as well as Arthur's loco. Countess certainly did look "at home" at Bridport, (must be all that corrugated-iron) especially when posed with my W&L wagons. She towered above most of my locos, she's taller even than K1

Rich, where did you see Bridport Town?

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Was it at Exeter this year - or has my mind completely made it up?blink.gif

Hi Rich,

Exhibited at Exeter in 2007. In 2008 the layout went to Shepton Mallet, Redruth, and Truro (Cornwall 0-Gauge Group), so I guess it was one of those? Wimborne was my first show this year.

All the best,

Dave.

PS Shoud be doing Exeter again next year.

• RMweb Premium

What a wonderful little loco

Not so little! These locos are massive compared to most British narrow-gauge stock. On the layout Countess towered above my locos.

Cheers,

Dave.

Arthur,

A truely stunning model to say the least!

Do you have any plans for any rolling stock of your own to go with the loco?

Cheers,

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your kind comments. I've already built a couple of Kevin Trim's Dorset Kits W&L coaches to go behind the loco; just not got round to painting them yet. I've also built some of his wagon and sheep truck kits, also not painted, but I will need to build some more to give a decent train length. Also I will need some covered vans, cattle wagons and the Brake Van as supplied by Mercian. I will be checking them out at the next Shepton show.

Regards

Arthur

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A beautiful locomotive, The welshpool and Lllanfair is one of my favourite railways. Any chance of seeing some pictures of Bridgeport?

Kind regrads

T

Hi,

Bridport has a fair dose of Welshpool in its parentage, I havent added anything on this forum (yet!), but Bridport Town was featured on the old forum at

http://www.rmweb.co....7b174fcd8339f1b

There is an extensive article on Bridport in the next Edition of Narrow Gauge & Industrial Review, due out later this month.

If you are interested, details of the magazine are at http://www.narrowgau...industrial.com/

Cheers,

Dave.T

• Like 1

Superb layout, must be one of the best on rmweb, thank you for providing the link, I liked the green locomotives are they scratbuilt and of particular prototypes? This has certainly wet my appetite. I can not get out of the house because of the snow so I am going to plan a small 7mm narrow gauge layout and get some orders in for some stock!

truly inspirational!

• RMweb Premium

Superb layout, must be one of the best on rmweb, thank you for providing the link, I liked the green locomotives are they scratbuilt and of particular prototypes? This has certainly wet my appetite. I can not get out of the house because of the snow so I am going to plan a small 7mm narrow gauge layout and get some orders in for some stock!

truly inspirational!

Thanks very much for the compliments. The green locos are indeed scratchbuilt, and are based on Hunslet locos. One is a model of the design that Hunslet proposed for the Lynton & Barnstaple, and the other is totally freelance, but with standard Hunslet design features.

I recomend membership of The 7mm Narrow Gauge Association, see their website http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/ The publish a bi-monthly magazine "Narrow Lines", and I also recomend reading the quarterly Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review, mentioned earlier.

I havent moved the Bridport Town thread over from the old site, but I might start a new one here. Or I could carry on with this thread, as long as Arthur doesnt mind smile.gif ??

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks very much for the compliments. The green locos are indeed scratchbuilt, and are based on Hunslet locos. One is a model of the design that Hunslet proposed for the Lynton & Barnstaple, and the other is totally freelance, but with standard Hunslet design features.

I recomend membership of The 7mm Narrow Gauge Association, see their website http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/ The publish a bi-monthly magazine "Narrow Lines", and I also recomend reading the quarterly Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review, mentioned earlier.

I havent moved the Bridport Town thread over from the old site, but I might start a new one here. Or I could carry on with this thread, as long as Arthur doesnt mind smile.gif ??

Cheers,

Dave.

By all means carry on with more about Bridport on this thread, David. Look forward to seeing more of the layout; I really enjoyed operating it at Wimborne. Great fun!

Regards

Arthur

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

'Countess' looks great on the layout, but I suspect that it wouldn't fit into your engine shed! Looking forward to operating again at Stafford (6th / 7th Feb)!

Hi Mudmagnet, (love the name..) You're right, Countess didnt fit on the shed, or through the hole on the backscene. It was the whistles mounted on the cab roof that did it.

Everythings ok for Stafford at the mo, van booked etc, lets hope the weather clears up a bit before then! I've had to stay home to look after the children, so maximum sledging has been done this morning.

Cheers,

Dave.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

At long last, some more photos of Bridport, taken at the Barnstaple show last weekend.

They mainly feature the recently completed tram loco, running on the layout for the first time.

Cheers,

Dave.

post-5825-0-44350900-1312385203_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-95392100-1312385207_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-86562700-1312385212_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-77942300-1312385193_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-65843800-1312385198_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-84691200-1312385217_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-66950400-1312385189_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I like the colour of the new tram loco Dave, what paint did you use? deep red seems to suit Hunslets.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the comments. The paint is Railmatch Indian Red, brushed on, and I'm really pleased with the finish. I thought Indian Red should have had a browner tinge to it, but this looks fine and really seems to suit the loco.

I had first tried LMS Red from Humbrol, but for some reason it looked a bit too pink to me.

Will we see you at Wells?

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks for that Dave,

Indian Red is one of those rather ambiguous colours that probably depends a lot on its undercoat for its 'body'. SDJR blue is another, some of the HVR locos are this colour but those over red oxide primer are definitely a different shade to those over grey.

All being well the Helford Valley will be hobbling along at Railwells, we have a new tram loco as well, but as the bog-standard GVT Peco job, I'm afraid its no where near as handsome as yours! still, anything with wheels under it!

Steve