Pictures of Bridport Town

Arthur Budd

• RMweb Premium

Some time ago I was asked if I would show some photos of the layout from further away, in order to get an idea of the whole layout rather than my usual closeups.

Heres a few that I think fill the bill. They're not great quality I'm afraid, they were taken in a hurry at a busy show but I think they give the right impression.

I've had the photos for a while but for some reason never got around to posting them.

Cheers,

Dave.

post-5825-0-52439100-1315862862.jpg

post-5825-0-14369900-1315862849.jpg

post-5825-0-14797300-1315862854.jpg

post-5825-0-56137500-1315862858.jpg

post-5825-0-94870300-1315862867.jpg

post-5825-0-26952200-1315862872.jpg

post-5825-0-16331800-1315862878.jpg

post-5825-0-65725900-1315862845.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 17

• 1 month later...

Well first,thanks to Arthur for starting this topic with your delightful Countess, a fine piece of work looking quite at home in Bridport yard.

Then to Dave and many thanks for running with the ball-the pull back shots really helped fill in the gaps-have only seen the layout in the Modeller and was as impressed as I was with the original layout (also only seen in the Modeller)-that single Fairlie,in the brass,is a thing of beauty..

Have long fancied the idea of a layout where the company could afford two different loco types:- E.G B/P W & L 0-6-0`s for freight & B/P I.o.M.R 2-4-0`s for the passengers,alternatively,Hunslet R.o.D 4-4-0`s for passengers & 2-6-2`s for freight-plus a big black Baldwin 4-6-0 `cos they just look so right somehow.....

Inspirational stuff gents,keep it coming

ATB

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Nick for your comments, and Stu for the photos. Between you you've spurred me into action.

I've got some more photos I can dig out and upload, particularly of the rolling stock. Stu, your son (or bits of him) appear in the photos, he did a long and very helpful stint of operating, but I'm sorry to admit I can't remember his name.

Thanks,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

What the photos don't show is how well, I mean really well, the locos run. Craig spent a couple of hours operating the layout, and didn't once have to prod anything.

Yes, the coaches are pushed back into the loop, it adds to the operating interest, as the goods trains have to be clear of the loop at the time.

• RMweb Gold

I've been helping Dave out with Bridport Town on several occasions and echo the comments made by Stu. The locos do run exceptionally well and when they don't move it is down to operator error - usually not switching the correct section over to the controller that you are using!

post-7854-0-18801000-1319147960.jpg

post-7854-0-34256500-1319147963.jpg

post-7854-0-55776400-1319147967.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

This layout is fantastic. It captures almost everything that is great about British narrow gauge. The stock is all superb and the scenery is incredible.

What the photos don't show is how well, I mean really well, the locos run. Craig spent a couple of hours operating the layout, and didn't once have to prod anything.

Yes, the coaches are pushed back into the loop, it adds to the operating interest, as the goods trains have to be clear of the loop at the time.

Thanks very much for such glowing compliments gentlemen. The running is down to several elements; most locos are fitted with Portescap RG4s, but some have Mashima & Branchlines Multibox. Being multiple wheeled (2-6-2, 4-4-0, 4-6-0, etc) they have pickups on as many wheels as humanly possible, and lastly, they weigh a ton! There are a couple of hefty whitemetal kits, while the scratchbuilt locos have large chunks of lead built into them..

Out of interest, how do the loco's run around their passenger trains? Do they reverse into the loop over the bridge or is the loco replaced?

Either, it depends what else is happening at the time; whether or not the loop is occupied, or we need to swap locos over, or if anyone asks to see a particular loco running.

In addition its possible to propel from the platform directly to the carriage shed so we can vary the makeup of passenger trains without too much hassle.

Many thanks,

Dave.

PS The plan should help.

post-5825-0-08318700-1319411144.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Ok, heres another fairly random selection of odd corners of Bridport, starting with the water tower

post-5825-0-95404600-1319486450.jpg

post-5825-0-34246900-1319486466.jpg

post-5825-0-58966500-1319486444.jpg

post-5825-0-80467800-1319486456.jpg

post-5825-0-95084700-1319486461.jpg

The last picture show the goods exchange shed, which hasnt featured in many photos as I was never very happy with it. It wasnt based on a particular building, I designed it myself but not very successfully. I may yet rebuild it, but it could certainly do with dirtying down somewhat. And the Southern van is far too clean.

Theres more to come if anyone is still interested.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 14

Many thanks for that last selection of views of Bridport. I particularly like these small corners of the layout, the bits that go together to make it such a pleasing whole without their being cutesy and contrived. These cameos are worthy of being modelled in their own right, and v evocative. The one of the guard's van between the stone building and the transfer shed is my favourite. It makes me think of the limited views of such a railway one might have had as a kid, hinting at the yard, locos and other vehicles that lie just out of view, the long grass suggesting that this is an unused nook, but beyond there are shinier rails, oily ballast and a whiff of steam. I have a dim childhood memory of a Drewry and some vans standing seemingly abandoned in the grass on the Wisbech & Upwell - I had the sense that although looking as if it would never move, any moment the crew would appear and silence would give way to engine noise, rattling of couplings, squeal of flanges and slow movement. And the image of the transfer shed is, in my opinion, quite as fine, hints of Welshpool and Halesworth, and a suggestion of bustle and labour temporarily suspended while tea is brewed somewhere else. As Ohmisterporter says, 'keep em coming'!

Patrick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for that last selection of views of Bridport. I particularly like these small corners of the layout, the bits that go together to make it such a pleasing whole without their being cutesy and contrived. These cameos are worthy of being modelled in their own right, and v evocative. The one of the guard's van between the stone building and the transfer shed is my favourite. It makes me think of the limited views of such a railway one might have had as a kid, hinting at the yard, locos and other vehicles that lie just out of view, the long grass suggesting that this is an unused nook, but beyond there are shinier rails, oily ballast and a whiff of steam. I have a dim childhood memory of a Drewry and some vans standing seemingly abandoned in the grass on the Wisbech & Upwell - I had the sense that although looking as if it would never move, any moment the crew would appear and silence would give way to engine noise, rattling of couplings, squeal of flanges and slow movement. And the image of the transfer shed is, in my opinion, quite as fine, hints of Welshpool and Halesworth, and a suggestion of bustle and labour temporarily suspended while tea is brewed somewhere else. As Ohmisterporter says, 'keep em coming'!

Patrick

Thank you very much for such a glowing tribute Patrick, I'm touched; may I use it as a citation? The sort of atmosphere you describe it what I was trying to achieve, with hints of Halesworth, Welshpool etc.

I'm quite a fan of "odd corners" myself, so heres a few more photos. Most of them feature the area around the Parcels Shed on the platform

All the best,

Dave.

post-5825-0-06166000-1320191722.jpg

post-5825-0-99439500-1320191727.jpg

post-5825-0-43481300-1320191716.jpg

post-5825-0-04471500-1320191712.jpg

post-5825-0-00793300-1320191708.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the photos Stu, some interesting views and a scary closeup! I particularly like the view into the exchange shed, have to try that one myself.

I thought I had found all the possible photographic angles on this layout, but obviously not.

Cheers,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave -

If you think it useful, by all means! However I don't really think my words can add further to what people can see if they look.

Thanks for the Parcel Shed pics - I spent some time inspecting this area when you showed at RailWells this year - a certain Mr GG of W-s-M pointed out the dustbin to me and we admired the way it was placed: not hidden, but almost unnoticed. Do I also detect a hint of the Southwold headshunt? Or possibly even Llanfair in GWR / BR(W) days?

Patrick

Thank you very much for such a glowing tribute Patrick, I'm touched; may I use it as a citation? The sort of atmosphere you describe it what I was trying to achieve, with hints of Halesworth, Welshpool etc.

I'm quite a fan of "odd corners" myself, so heres a few more photos. Most of them feature the area around the Parcels Shed on the platform

All the best,

Dave.

• 2 months later...

Just to give this thread a bump in the hope of more photos....

Modelling English common carrier narrow gauge lines is difficult as there were so few of them and each so distinctive. The MVR is utterly believable because Dave has used designs of loco and stock that are real but just never built or used in this country, giving his line its own distinctive identity. Things are much easier if you model French narrow gauge.

Like the others on this thread I never tire of viewing the MVR. More please.

Richard

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

It was great to see you at Thorncombe Exhibition today and letting me play on BT. Richard and I thought the show was great.

RAY70B

Thanks very much Ray, its always a nice show, and I would have enjoyed it all the more is the layout had behaved!

Cheers, Dave.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

With Bridport Town due to appear at the RMweb members Day (AKA Captain Kernow's Pasty-fest) in Taunton shortly, I decided it was high time it had a bit of TLC applied.
In the past, visitors who know Bridport had said how well I had captured the "look" of the place; nowadays though they say the layout is "too clean". It took me a while to realise that the colours of the town buildings had faded considerably over time, and that my carefully coloured and weathered stonework had taken on a yellowy-cream tone.

I approached this with some trepidation; I had no wish to ruin it! But some darker washes and dry-brushed dirt seem to do the trick, so I'm slowly working my way around. The photo shows the before & after difference on the buildings reasonably well, although they're not finished.

e3208392-f737-423a-a510-6b41de315b96_zps

This link gives an idea of what it SHOULD look like:  http://www.realwestdorset.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Palmers-Brewery-Bridport.jpg  The rear of Palmers Brewery from the riverside walk to the South of the town.  A very popular view, if you Google "Palmers Brewery" you will find umpteen pictures of this, all with differing colour balance according to light, camera, amount of Photoshopping etc, etc.

See you at Taunton

Dave.T

Edited by DLT
  • Like 8

Only just found this little gem by accident, by following Daves link in his signature in a comment on my attempt at the cambrian!

What stunning modelling in all aspects, locos, stock,buildings, track work everything! Just so inspiring just to look at the pictures without reading too much of the text.

Now on my "Follow" list.

Cheers

Frank

• RMweb Premium

Only just found this little gem by accident, by following Daves link in his signature in a comment on my attempt at the cambrian!

What stunning modelling in all aspects, locos, stock,buildings, track work everything! Just so inspiring just to look at the pictures without reading too much of the text.

Now on my "Follow" list.

Cheers

Frank

Thanks very much frank, I'm following your modelling with interest, and I was a big fan of Pen y Bont.

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I never tire of pictures of Bridport or Charmouth, I see what you mean about the fading and it has been worth the risk. Realistic and subtle.

Now to make him blush ;)

Bridport, Charmouth & Pempoul the top three narrow gauge layouts for realisim in photos. I'm just sorry I can't make Taunton as I'm nights and I'd barely get there for closing time.