Pictures of Bridport Town

Arthur Budd

• RMweb Premium

With most of the "dirtying" now done, I'm sorting out locos and stock for Taunton on Sunday.  Definitely something wrong with the 440, a bit jerky, probably a bad solder joint somewhere.

Cheers, Dave.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bridport has been added to the Wycrail 2013 Exhibition in High Wycombe on Saturday November 2nd, as a late replacement for a withdrawn layout.  I was booked to go next year. 

Wycrail's RMweb page is here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72335-wycrail-13-high-wycombe-2nd-november/

Looking forward to the trip, the layout hasn't been out since the Taunton Members day.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 2

Hi there,

This is for sure my favourite Narrow gauge model railway layout, beautiful model very well modelled indeed, although seen it a few times on the exhibition circuite, allways take time to look and watch the movements etc :-)

cheers

Peter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I saw Bridport for the first time at Wycrail.....Superb

I just wish I had more time to admire it.

Any future show dates?  Alan

Thanks very much Alan, I felt much the same about Warren Lane!

Only one firm booking for Bridport coming up; Trainwest at Melksham in April.  Doing a few more shows with Charmouth next year though.

All the best, Dave.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

As previously mentioned, Charmouth and Bridport will be out and about in 2014, but not both at the same time!

Bridport Town will be at "Trainwest" Melksham on 12 & 13 April:  http://www.trainwest.org.uk/  Not sure if theres an RMweb thread running yet.

Charmouth will be appearing at Exeter on 31 May & 1 June:  http://www.exemrs.co...Exhibition.html  

http://www.rmweb.co....54-exeter-2014/  This marks the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Exe Model Railway Society.

Charmouth will also appear at Railwells, on 9 & 10 August:  http://www.railwells.com/railway_show/

And one of the layouts, not sure which one yet, will be at the Thorncombe Exhibition in Somerset on Saturday 8th November: https://sites.google...te/traclubsite/   

2013 show thread here:  http://www.rmweb.co....lex-2013/page-2

More details nearer the time.

All the best, and Happy New Year,

Dave.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had the pleasure of seeing  Bridport for the first time at Trainwest today.

Modelling English narrow gauge convincingly is tricky; there are several pitfalls which tend to spoil such layouts for me and which this one triumphantly avoids: - chocolate-box prettiness in the surroundings, a tendency towards whimsy, and the use of well-known locos that are iconic of other railways.

I'm looking forward to seeing Charmouth at Wells!

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1

I finally managed to put my finger on why I think this is such a stunning layout.

Apart from the superb modelling throughout, it is on of the very, very few narrow gauge layouts that has modelled a station terminus as it would genuinely be in reality - and this makes it so very watchable. And then you've got the standard of modelling.........

Good Afternoon Dave

It was a great pleasure to meet you on Sunday at trainwest and finally see Bridport town live. Thank you for your time and invitation to view the layout form the no public side. I first came across Bridport town and Charmouth when I Google 7mm NG layouts when looking for a new modeling challenge. Seeing Bridport town  in operations did not disappoint and this has spurred me on to sell the bulk of my HO US stock and construct a 7mm  NG exhibition layout

along the lines we discussed and hopefully one day I can return the invitation to navigate a loco around my layout. Hope to see you in Exeter with Charmouth at the end of may. Tony   

• RMweb Premium

I had the pleasure of seeing  Bridport for the first time at Trainwest today.

Modelling English narrow gauge convincingly is tricky; there are several pitfalls which tend to spoil such layouts for me and which this one triumphantly avoids: - chocolate-box prettiness in the surroundings, a tendency towards whimsy, and the use of well-known locos that are iconic of other railways.

I'm looking forward to seeing Charmouth at Wells!

I finally managed to put my finger on why I think this is such a stunning layout.

Apart from the superb modelling throughout, it is on of the very, very few narrow gauge layouts that has modelled a station terminus as it would genuinely be in reality - and this makes it so very watchable. And then you've got the standard of modelling.........

Yep it captures the 'it looks right' aspect and I think the laid back atmosphere is part of it. Very sorry to miss Trainwest and both your layouts.

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for such glowing compliments!  Its very gratifying to feel that I have gone a long way towards achieving what I set out to do; which was to create a fictional but believable scene.  Plausible rather than whimsical was the plan, and firmly set in a scruffy reality.  I often find the scruffy rear of buildings far more interesting and modellogenic than the pretty frontages, and this is often the view you get from a railway in a town.

I am of course helped by the highly modellogenic nature of Bridport itself.  If you get the chance go there and take a walk around the backstreets, preferably before too much redevelopment takes place!

Good Afternoon Dave

It was a great pleasure to meet you on Sunday at trainwest and finally see Bridport town live. Thank you for your time and invitation to view the layout form the no public side. I first came across Bridport town and Charmouth when I Google 7mm NG layouts when looking for a new modeling challenge. Seeing Bridport town  in operations did not disappoint and this has spurred me on to sell the bulk of my HO US stock and construct a 7mm  NG exhibition layout

along the lines we discussed and hopefully one day I can return the invitation to navigate a loco around my layout. Hope to see you in Exeter with Charmouth at the end of may. Tony   

Thanks very much Tony, it was a pleasure to meet you too, and I wish you all the best with your new project.  You would have been most welcome to have a drive.

I've always found 7mmNG to be a very satisfying scale to work in, but not without its frustrations!  Are you a member of the Association?

See you all out and about again soon,

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi Dave

Yes I am a member of the association and last year started to attend the Bi monthly meets of the Wessex Area group to help keep me on track with building my layout. Although we meet in the barleycorn inn we all try and take one new item we have built or review how far one has got. I hope to start setting out my cutting plans for my base boards this weekend and have all the parts ready for assembly by the end of April. I currently have a half constructed station building on the modeling table which I hope to have completed for the next Wessex area meet on the13th of may. So hope to post some photos soon.

Regards

tony

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Spent some time this afternoon removing buildings so that I could clean the backscene.  Getting a bit stained with fingermarks and spider-poo. 

Cleaning with Jif is slowly removing the blue paint and it really needs a repaint.  Not sure if i will have time before Basingstoke next weekend though.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just finished repainting the backscene in a fetching-all over sky-blue.  Not only was it scuffed and damaged but really badly faded as well.

I never got round to actually painting a townscape, not as easy as a few background hills and hedges.  And in two places a street ends at the backscene, making it even more of a challenge.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

One of the few layouts a photo backscene would be a real struggle to match too ;) hope it goes well at Basingstoke Dave, I'd love to have seen it again but important family duties this weekend take preference over both shows that are on I usually visit.

(I did enjoy the spider poo bit )

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for letting us have a play with the layout today. It isn't just nice looking it also works brilliantly and it's great fun to operate

Many thanks for the operating time today Dave - great fun as always and the layout is a pleasure to operate.

Many thanks for the time you spent on the layout.  I was amazed that the visiting VoR loco did actually get alongside the platform with little more than a graze on its cab step.

I've realised that I must get on with the production of another Hunslet or two, as the 2-6-2 Boadicea (in the background above) built around 1983 is due for a well-earned retirement.

All the best,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1