Pictures of Bridport Town

Arthur Budd

• RMweb Premium

HI Guys,

Thanks for the comments, I assure you I have no plans for any changes to the Single-Fairlie Vulcan!

Boadicea though, is old and decidedly looking her age.  At Basingstoke she would only run at about half speed and I was reluctant to accelerate her in case I put too much strain on the original Faulhaber motor in the RG4 drive.  

I diagnosed a gearbox gummed up with lots of old dry grease, and so it proved.  Once home I washed it out with white spirit she was transformed.  The only problem now was that all the wear is now apparent, as the gearbox flops around and the axles can be physically moved up and down in the bearings.

Another Hunslet or two has long been on the "to do" list, but they keep getting overtaken.  I'm now thinking that I should move them up to "priority" status.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So Boadicea can lurk on shed as emergency backup then :) Would it require a total rebuild to get new bearings in or do you just fancy something slightly different?

Boadicea won't get a rebuild, it wouldnt be worth it.  In spite of the chassis being an unsightly lash-up that I learnt a lot from (she was my first scratchbuild) she still runs very well.  I've always thought the MV to be a Hunslet realm, so Boadicea will get a semi-retirement and be replaced by something like the L&B 2-4-2 design, or a Leeds No.1 lookalike.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bridport Town's first outing in 2016 will be the Solent group's "Eurotrack" Exhibition in Southampton at the end of February.

Solent MRG website here:   http://solentmodelrailwaygroup.webs.com/modelrailwayexhibition.htm

RMweb thread here:   http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99078-eurotrack-2016/

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm in the process of digging Bridport out of it's rather long hibernation.  As it hasn't been out for nearly a year its in need of some TLC and a LOT of cleaning; spiders had taken it over so its covered in webs and yucky spider-poo.  

Some glue is drying up and corrugated-iron panels are falling off the engine shed.  Quite prototypical really!

In addition to Eurotrack this coming weekend, Bridport will be at the Nailsea Show, on 12th, 13th March, and the 7mm NG Assoc AGM, Burton on Trent on Saturday 11th June.

Before that, I will be taking Charmouth to Railex, Aylesbury, on 28th, 29th May.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had a brilliant weekend at Eurotrack, thanks very much to everyone.

Getting ready for Nailsea next weekend now.  Looks like we might be an operator down, is there anyone coming who might have time for a session?

Cheers, Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A great weekend at the Nailsea show, as I've said on the Nailsea thread.

A couple of niggling little problems emerging on Bridport, mainly I think due to age (of the layout)  But nothing I can't sort out.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

"Lovely. These two have always been my favourite ng loco's, probably because they look so "English".

Ed." (edcayton)

they're welsh (although they were made in England).   :pardon:   sorry Ed.

Edited by Narrowgaugebeginner

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Dave

i see from narrow news 166 both Bridport Town and Charmouth will be appearing at narrow gauge south west. have you finally got round to building a link board. I look forward to seeing you again on the 18th

Tony

Edited by netheravon