Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

My favourite photo that boarders on the creative side is 42085 just about to enter Haverthwaite East tunnel with the 10.35 service to Lakeside 19 Aug 2000.

42085jpg.jpg

I love the way that the steam framed the top of the photo. Had it been in black and white it could be timeless....

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 7

My favourite photo that boarders on the creative side is 42085 just about to enter Haverthwaite East tunnel with the 10.35 service to Lakeside 19 Aug 2000.

42085jpg.jpg

I love the way that the steam framed the top of the photo. Had it been in black and white it could be timeless....

Ian

Lovely photograph Ian. Hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of doctoring it in Photoshop bearing in mind your last statement.

post-8259-0-87018500-1380685233_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I took the liberty of doctoring it in Photoshop

I think the very light buffer beam is a give-away!  I have a good B/W filter for Photoshop from www.photo-plugins.com that simulates the colour response of various film emulsions very well!  I like your idea of adding a few scratches!

I think the very light buffer beam is a give-away!  I have a good B/W filter for Photoshop from www.photo-plugins.com that simulates the colour response of various film emulsions very well!  I like your idea of adding a few scratches!

Well observed! - "panchromatic" B/W film (and much more so "orthochromatic" film) darkened reds and lightened blue, didn't they. Useful effect in wartime photos of Adolf Hitler, making his bright blue eyes look suitably pale and inhuman. 

The "distressing" of the image is remarkably convincing!

Edited by bluebottle

For anyone interested, I attach comparative shots using the BW filter I mentioned in #1209.

post-19820-0-83252500-1380817918.jpg

The 'Ortho' image represents the older type of film, which had no sensitivity to red.  Most old (pre-WW2) railway photos are of this type and can be very misleading if used to interpret liveries. 

There is an article with more information about how Photoshop handles colour on my website at http://home.btconnect.com/mike.flemming/technical/brightness/bright1.htm

Mike

• Like 1

One from my first visit to the Severn Valley last weekend

post-8351-0-95786200-1381781386_thumb.jpg

KOYLI crosses Victoria Bridge... shattering the peace and disturbing the Mallards.

Edited by Jon020
  • Like 12

how do you get down to that spot? Is it a long walk?

Depends where you start from B) ... I parked in the car park near the pub down the road from Arley Station; you could walk there from the station. Then follow the trodden path across the fields towards and along the river (well back from the bank) towards the bridge. When you get closer to the bridge look for gaps in the foilage that look as though fishermen have used them to access the river bank... and find this one. It looked well-used. Total time from parking - about 10-15 minutes (similar from stn I guess). There are other good spots there, but I was tired and wanted to start for home. 

HTH

Jon