Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

OK, I'm not wishing to knock anyone and I like to see anyone have a go at something creative, but there seems to have been a bit of 'skiing off piste' with this thread for quite a while. The above two posts are only the latest examples. It is supposed to be about creative photography, not shots of unusual prototype subjects or 'nice' looking regular shots.

To my mind creative would likely include, but not be limited to, unusual composition or juxtaposition of pictorial elements, and perhaps unusual editing if it isn't just cropping or some other overly simplistic playing around.

• RMweb Premium

No need to apologize, it's kind of my fault really. I've left the thread alone for quite a while as I haven't wanted to be a 'dictator' or 'arbiter' of what is and is not creative. If something is out of the norm it may well suit the thread if there's a good visual angle involved, but for quite a while now I've noticed a number of shots that don't exactly stand out much. I just thought it time to put in a reminder of the original intention of the thread.

• RMweb Gold

OK, I'm not wishing to knock anyone and I like to see anyone have a go at something creative, but there seems to have been a bit of 'skiing off piste' with this thread for quite a while. The above two posts are only the latest examples. It is supposed to be about creative photography, not shots of unusual prototype subjects or 'nice' looking regular shots.

To my mind creative would likely include, but not be limited to, unusual composition or juxtaposition of pictorial elements, and perhaps unusual editing if it isn't just cropping or some other overly simplistic playing around.

i hope my contributions are deemed creative, looking at the 'likes' below most of them they seem to be liked at least!!

this thread actually prompted me to go and look for unusual shots instead of the usual 3/4 views of trains i'd normally take

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the 'likes' are a reasonable indication of whether someone is 'hitting the right note' re the kind of shot the thread was created for.

It was the idea of a mate I was drinking with that day, but I was lucky enough to catch this with my camera phone. Was sampling their latest home brews, "Growler" and "Ale" are highly recommended!

• Like 1

I feel like I'm working for the Didcot tourist office!

Here's another example of photoshoppery...
The first pic is a straight JPEG
the next is with the "poster edges" photoshop filter applied,
to create the look of a painting....
I've done this on this thread before,
but somehow, this shot just suits the treatment....

post-2973-0-49003600-1373027560_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-34340100-1373027569_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Interesting work from Marc, there, though I'm not a huge fan of PP manipulation, preferring pictures that rely more on good composition than photoshop trickery. I did like the image in post 1075, where I thought the split between the coloured foreground frame and B&W main subject worked well; and that in post 1071, where the straight lines  and angles of the roof contrasted with the curves of the loco's "face" to give dynamism to the composition - with the the help of the accentuated colours.

All in all, I'd say that Marc's given the thread a welcome shaking up!