Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

Speaking purely subjectively, for myself what interests my eye is shots that see things differently to classic and/or regular composition. I particularly like it when a photographer comes up with something quite unusual, even if that challenges conventional notions of how we might normally view a subject.

What I least like seeing here is images that would more accurately be described as 'picturesque' or 'nicely framed three quarter view'. To my mind those belong in some kind of thread titled 'Nice Railway Photography' or 'Picturesque Railway Photography'. I created the thread to challenge photographers to view our mutual subject through less conventional 'eyes', not normal ones.

However, as I stated earlier, I am not out to be the arbiter of what is and is not 'creative' photography, so though the above is my subjective view, don't let that put anyone off submitting stuff here.

"Speaking purely subjectively, for myself what interests my eye is shots that see things differently to classic and/or regular composition. I particularly like it when a photographer comes up with something quite unusual, even if that challenges conventional notions of how we might normally view a subject."

Yes to that, although it's not easy to do.... so yes please to a photograph "that challenges conventional notions of how we might normally view a subject."

"What I least like seeing here is images that would more accurately be described as 'picturesque' or 'nicely framed three quarter view'. To my mind those belong in some kind of thread titled 'Nice Railway Photography' or 'Picturesque Railway Photography'. I created the thread to challenge photographers to view our mutual subject through less conventional 'eyes', not normal ones."

I'm going to have to agree with that too - however I would just caution that the boundary is sometimes tricky to find.

"I am not out to be the arbiter of what is and is not 'creative' photography..."   Neither am I! In any case it's bound to be a subjective judgement and although it looks like you and I are in agreement as soon as we start looking at specific images our opinions will, inevitably, diverge.

Having said that if someone is brave enough to hold their work up to scrutiny on forum.... well you put it well - "don't let that put anyone off submitting stuff here."

I always apply the same rule to forum postings as I do to the way my wife dresses - if I like it I say so, if I don't I keep quiet.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

107-0773a_IMG700x424_zpsce295262.jpg

Chaz

It's creative for me. I like the way the crop lines echo a railway junction or marshalling yard. More please.

But I can't click "Like" on it because you put two pictures in one post, and the other one is, well, awful. :)

Martin.

It's creative for me. I like the way the crop lines echo a railway junction or marshalling yard. More please.

But I can't click "Like" on it because you put two pictures in one post, and the other one is, well, awful. :)

Martin.

I liked the loco in a landscape too, though I wouldn't have made the comparison between the field and railway lines - although the patterns in the field are man-made, they still follow the natural contours of the land. Such a simple picture at first sight, but it has much to be explored by the eye - the rank of trees matching the leisurely, ragged loco exhaust of the locomotive, for example, or the lozenges of the distant fields draped over the gentle hills ...

I do beg your pardon, I get quite carried away sometimes.

Martin makes a good point about the difficulty in expressing an opinion on a mixed bag of images, although I wouldn't be quite so dismissive of the other one, and at least there were only two to consider. I'd rather people disciplined themselves to offering one or two of their best efforts rather than upload the entire contents of their memory cards.

Martin.

OH!   I'm aware that the A4s are like Marmite, but regardless of the loco type I am rather proud of the photo', the evening light reflected off the gleaming streamlined casings and the engineman giving a sense of scale..... would you like it better if the locos were Castles? :devil:

• RMweb Gold

OH!   I'm aware that the A4s are like Marmite, but regardless of the loco type I am rather proud of the photo', the evening light reflected off the gleaming streamlined casings and the engineman giving a sense of scale..... would you like it better if the locos were Castles? :devil:

Nothing to do with the locos -- I don't know an A4 from a Castle.

The picture is lop-sided to the left, badly cropped through the cab number. It needs more cab or none. The first loco appears to have crashed into the back of the other one, judging by the angle of the tender. And the man has a lion sitting on his head. :)

Martin.

Nothing to do with the locos -- I don't know an A4 from a Castle.

The picture is lop-sided to the left, badly cropped through the cab number. It needs more cab or none. The first loco appears to have crashed into the back of the other one, judging by the angle of the tender. And the man has a lion sitting on his head. :)

Martin.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, Martin - and free to express it.....

• RMweb Gold

34067 Tangmere simmers at Brockenhurst in the late evening on 4th July 2013 working 1Z82 Exeter St Davids to Poole, 'The Devonian'.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The angles on The Shard do make for some nice shots. This one's not railway related, and not really creative (so I'm breaking my own rules!) :

post-6714-0-83663400-1373807124_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The angles on The Shard do make for some nice shots. This one's not railway related, and not really creative (so I'm breaking my own rules!) :

attachicon.gifP1030639a.jpg

Railway related? Obviously not. Creative? That's another matter; the term is so open to interpretation and misunderstanding that it might be better to accept that any photograph that involved some thought is bound to be creative, even though it might not be unusual or challenging. I'll shut up now.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

No need to shut up, I'm happy for there to be debate on the subject of what is and is not creative, as long as it doesn't distract from the original intent of the thread :)

When I took that shot, I was thinking of desktop wallpaper for a PC...

Not exactly a classic composition,
But railway lines can be used to "lead the eye" into the subject
strengthening the sense of depth, in what is essentially a 2 dimensional medium....

post-2973-0-55708400-1373980660_thumb.jpg

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 5

Not exactly a classic composition,

But railway lines can be used to "lead the eye" into the subject

strengthening the sense of depth, in what is essentially a 2 dimensional medium....

Oddly, my eye was led down the straight tracks to the left of centre, and then back up the line of tanks to the loco. Still like it though. Did you try a shot from 3 feet to the left, over the left hand rail?

Oddly, my eye was led down the straight tracks to the left of centre, and then back up the line of tanks to the loco. Still like it though. Did you try a shot from 3 feet to the left, over the left hand rail?

No, the loco didn't quite "sit right" in the composition for me then....

particularly in the context of the wagons in background, behind the loco - (or rather, to the right of the loco, out of shot)

they drew the eye away from the subject a tad too much...

Edited by marc smith