Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

Talk to most photographers, and they will tell you that they always look up at the clouds to see if the sun is going to disappear before "the" shot. Well last night I was doing the same, but with the full moon. Unfortunately I'd lost the loco convoy en route, but it might have worked. One to try another time perhaps ;)

Almost looks like full sun . . .

post-340-0-79016200-1379596620_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Talk to most photographers, and they will tell you that they always look up at the clouds to see if the sun is going to disappear before "the" shot. Well last night I was doing the same, but with the full moon. Unfortunately I'd lost the loco convoy en route, but it might have worked. One to try another time perhaps ;)

Almost looks like full sun . . .

attachicon.gifbridge TJH01 Crownthorpe 18th September 2013 Copyright Tim Horn.jpg

I like that -- the strange eery shade of blue on the bridge produces an ominous, foreboding effect. But it's better with the out-of-focus distractions cropped out:

post-1103-0-41096700-1379665484.jpg

Martin.

Interesting to see what effect that word "creative" has had on the content of this thread.

When I was at art college (when dinosaurs still roamed the earth) one of the exercises we were given was to come up with a series of intentionally "bad" compositions in drawn sketches. I think we might well have be given the task of producing "creative" compositions instead. The results might well have been similarly interesting.

I hasten to add that I do not mean to imply that the posted images are "bad" compositions (although, inevitably, a few of them are), merely to point to the strange effect that the adjective is having.

Thanks Martin and Chaz,

I agree, I should have cropped it :)  I suppose the point I was making was that if the locos were in the photo, it may have come out ok. I would have had to pan the shot, as the locos would be at around 30mph, and this was hand held at 1/4 second at iso 25,600. It was a throw away shot really, but I'll try it again sometime.

Just going off topic, this is the shot I took looking the other way ;)

post-340-0-46177700-1379669532_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Tim

• Like 2

Interesting to see what effect that word "creative" has had on the content of this thread.

When I was at art college (when dinosaurs still roamed the earth) one of the exercises we were given was to come up with a series of intentionally "bad" compositions in drawn sketches. I think we might well have be given the task of producing "creative" compositions instead. The results might well have been similarly interesting.

I hasten to add that I do not mean to imply that the posted images are "bad" compositions (although, inevitably, a few of them are), merely to point to the strange effect that the adjective is having.

Is a “creative” piece of work one that deliberately breaks the rules of “good” composition? Or, sometimes, a mistake which accidentally produces a striking effect. I think that the latter might be quite common in all forms of art. Then if “something different” is exhibited, we're likely to see attempts to reproduce its impact – not always grasping the point, but I suppose that trying to copy something helps one to understand it.

Strange? There are things in these forums much stranger...

Is a “creative” piece of work one that deliberately breaks the rules of “good” composition? Or, sometimes, a mistake which accidentally produces a striking effect. I think that the latter might be quite common in all forms of art. Then if “something different” is exhibited, we're likely to see attempts to reproduce its impact – not always grasping the point, but I suppose that trying to copy something helps one to understand it.

Strange? There are things in these forums much stranger...

Quite so, you make some good points. Just to add  - "Is a “creative” piece of work one that deliberately breaks the rules of “good” composition?" Yes, it can be, or it might be a disaster. It depends.