Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

Yeah i was stood at the relieving point at landor st, the camera is on top of the SPT box

The train is only going about 5mph as it had just started from the signal which had just reverted back to red when the loco passed the block joint

That's a relief!  I couldn't help the knee-jerk reaction when I first looked at the photo - it's a very nice shot :)

Mike

Hi,

The photos on this thread are absolutely superb, they all look amazing, well done to all of you.

Here's my contribution, it's not a "railway" photo, but it could be related in some ways, (steam traction engine)

Hope it's up to standard?

post-19436-0-01561800-1384975574_thumb.jpg

Edit: if anyone's wondering its a 4" traction engine.

Edited by Nelson Jackson
  • Like 6

I know this is not railways, but a good watch for any budding photographer, particulally a "creative" one and hence this thread. I've always loved this chaps photography since first seeing his images in F1 racing in the mid 90s. His stuff is more abstract than documentary and really creative so much so he has been recognised by the royal photographic society - its a fairly long interview focused on a different subject but the points he makes are very good and can be applied elsewhere:

Edited by A_S
  • Like 1

I agree with 'Western Sunset' re. the first image.  Personally, I would crop the picture symmetrically about the centre of the stairs but such things are matters of taste.

It's a nice photo :) - I haven't visited Reading since the re-furb.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Personally, I would crop the picture symmetrically about the centre of the stairs but such things are matters of taste.

For me it's better to crop off the top stairs to concentrate on the play of light and shade:

post-1103-0-82421500-1386614029.jpg

A great picture Mike (SM).

• RMweb Gold

For me it's better to crop off the top stairs to concentrate on the play of light and shade:

attachicon.gifreading_night_798.jpg

A great picture Mike (SM).

For me it was about light & shade and all the different tones of grey - just happened to leap out at me as I was going up the escalator and fortunately I caught the stairs at a deserted moment.  I'd agree it could cropped in various ways to alter the visual impact but I also like to sometimes try and capture the view as the eye sees it - the way I used to try to do it in the days of 35mm colour slide film when you had to get it in the shot and not get your effects afterwards.