Millarville

AndrewC

modules005.jpg

About time for an update. Progress has been slow. Far too many excuses and reasons to go into but situation normal.

The track is all painted and ballasted. I've finished off the warehouse building which I've decided to use as a highway maintenance depot. That way I can fill a large area with asphalt and several rather nice bits of earth moving equipment. I tried some Green-Scenes textured paint over a plastic base for the paved areas. Not impressed. The paint no matter how much you mix it has either too much grit or not enough leaving things looking patchy. I'll scrape off the remnants and repaint the area followed by a liberal dusting of MIG concrete colour weathering powder. I've also been messing about with a static grass applicator and some 6mm dry straw coloured flock. A bit too yellow methinks so more greening up will be required. Once I'm happy with this corner module I'll spread the scenery across the other 3. Looks like I need to fill in a bit more ballast in spots as well. Cameras are very cruel.

• 3 weeks later...

I've now managed to temper the yellow a bit, fix the asphalt around the warehouse and tidy thing up somewhat. Time now to press on with extending the scenicing and to get the remaining structures into the paint shop.

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

• 8 months later...

The final update from me. Originally the project I was on for work was to have ended by now. One of the downsides is having to be available and on call most Saturdays. This coupled with the club's move further into deepest darkest Essex has meant I'd only managed 2 meetings all of last year. Looks like I'm stuck on that project for another year or so. This means the modules would languish in the shed and likely never get connected to the club's modular layout. Back in November I had mooted the idea of selling them off. Once I had the confirmation that I'd be busy most Saturdays for another year I took the firm decision to offer them up to the club. Some interest from a few members but I can say that Tony_S is now the proud owner of a set of bouncing baby modules.

Farewell Millarville, or what ever Tony_S renames it to.

Now to concentrate on my own layout for the next 12 months.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The four modules were integrated into the club layout (Essex Belt Lines) on Saturday. The modules had been stored in an unheated shed for a month and I can report that static grass as applied by Andrew seems to survive nicely. Trains ran well through the modules, apart from some long wheelbase steam engines in the siding! I've got a few wiring issues to sort out and I've brought the modules home. The modules were fine when they went in the shed a month ago so it can't be anything serious! The four modules in their transportable mode fit nicely in my car which is rather convenient.

Tony

• 3 years later...

Wasn't really sure if I should bring this back from the dead or start a new topic. In the interests of not cluttering up the place I chose the former.

So 3 years have gone by since the original Millarville modules moved out and are now part of the Thamesider's Essex Belt lines club module collection. In that time I've done a lot/little with my other layout "Essex Montana". Lots of operation and play but little in the way of getting the scenery or structures sorted. I'm now in the process (still) of turning it into a permanent(ish) layout in the shed, whereby the existing scenic modules are turned 180 degrees and live above the staging modules. A set of shelves will connect each end giving me a nice folded figure 8 layout with a run of just under 120' for a complete 'lap'. That leaves me lots of space in the middle of the shed (8' by 20') to erect another layout or 2. Since I've still got 4 leftover Essex modules I'd been planning on converting them to the NMRA/RS Tower Fremo spec and doing something new with that.

Work, health, time, crap lame excuses, etc have meant that I've done b*gger all for the past 9 months. So finally this past week I've started to brew a set of plans for Millarville Mk II. Basically 3 of the 4 existing modules stay as 2' by 4' rectangles. One gets chopped into a pair of 24" angled boards that go from 18" to 24" in width. I've still got all the structures from the first Millarville apart from the warehouse. I've also got far too much Canadian stock and a shiny new pair of Rapido GMD-1s to play with.

post-2818-0-43752300-1426426857_thumb.jpg

post-2818-0-68421600-1426424901_thumb.jpg

The idea is to have a 12' 2' switching layout that can stand on its own with a pair of 2' long hidden sector plates attached to the line on the left and back right. This gives me 5 industries to switch as well as trains arriving and departing in 2 directions. By adding 3 converter boards to the layout, it can be operated as a set of fremo modules which allow for a 45 degree branch to be attached. The plans above show the layout in fremo mode.

As usual suggestions, critique, rotten fruit thrown from as safe distance, encouraged please.

[edit to improve contrast on the trackplan]

Archived