Mick

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:57 pm

Subject updated

??? posted on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:55 pm

A few wagons have been built since my last post

D&S ex GNR Fitted Wagon used for veggie traffic

img0002mx3.jpg

Parkside Conflat & DX Container. I have had to use the nearest decals Icould find for this one. I could not find anything suitable for the Container. Strange as a kit is avaialble??

img0003xt3.jpg

Ex NER Stock a mixture of 51L and Dave Geen kits

img0004se3.jpg

img0009ar8.jpg

img0015qb7.jpg

ABS

img0014sd0.jpg

Parkside Loco Coal a rather battered example, cant beat a nice drop of rust!!

img0011hr7.jpg

img0013zf5.jpg

??? posted on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi

Any idea on a sheet number and stockists?? Mainly Trains dont appear to list anything other than B Types.

Re the discussed CCT decals still havent heard from the company in Aus

regards Mick icon_smile.gif

??? posted on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:44 am

Hi

Some locos that first appeared on previous Web site

Hycilla LNER A2/3 DJH kit

img0003vu9.jpg

img0006ma1.jpg

img0004si5.jpg

Y7 Shunter

img00031ad7.jpg

img00021mw8.jpgG5

img0002ok3.jpg

img00041qv1.jpg[/img]

??? posted on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:27 am

img0001ip6.jpg

img0008qi2.jpg

I am trying to find pictures of my Nucast A2/1 Duke of Rothesay as well . If i cant find them i will post some new ones.

Re the layout when built?? it will be a general North East area pre 1948, it will be more North Yorkshire than anywhere as initially i am going to use Hornby Skaledale NER Buildings as per Goathland. I cant make much better!! and it will save a lot of time

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:12 pm

LNER A2/1 DUKE OF ROTHSAY

img0002qq2.jpg

img0004ta5.jpg

img0005uj9.jpg

img0007py0.jpg

img0010kx0.jpg

??? posted on Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:29 am

D&S Cowans Sheldon 15 ton Crane.

img0002op1.jpg

img0003qe6.jpg

img0005mv0.jpg

img0006ay1.jpg[/img]

It will be painted as sub assemblies.

Before anyone asks the kit does not include a match truck. Fortunatly the NER used Plate wagons and thats next on the list of jobs, i will have to scratchbuild a support as nothing is suppied with the kit covering this.

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi

The instructions are a "challenge" to say the least. They are at best vague and presume you have knowlege of various gears , i havent a clue!

I have just written to D&S as I ended up with three small pieces that I could'nt figure out where they go!! Hopefully he will give some clues.

There are a few small pieces missing or he doesnt supply again I am awaiting a response. They are small brackets and a couple of stays nothing major.

It was a easy build BUT make sure you use the cast bufferbeams for the frame, I tried to just use the top etching i never realised there were castings as well!

The only dispointment was when using Gibson OO wheels the rims fouled the support cross girders and they had to be thinned to give clearance.

It is now painted and I have just done the lining today. Lettering remains (it will be the Sunderland LNER version) and i am still waiting for the Plate wagon to arrive in the post for the Match wagon.

Mick icon_rolleyes.gif

??? posted on Mon May 07, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi

Crane now finished well the main part anyway!!

For the info of anyone who builds the kit please note follwing update. D&S provided in my kit one length of chain nowhere near enough there was barely enough for the jib lifting and it is a very tight fit between the pulleys. I fortunatly had some Roxey Chain slightly finer it comes in Copper colour I dipped in Carrs acid to blacken it then drybrushed silver to give it the metallic look . It is still at tight fit but it will go in just!!

The Match wagon a NER Plate Wagon is finished as far as I can go . On reciept there was no brake gear included, hopefully it wil come this week.

I have scratchbuit the " jib rest" a reasonable copy of the drawing in the Tatlow Wagon book

img0002zc4.jpg

img0005dm8.jpg

img0009nr1.jpg

img0010by6.jpg

img0011kz6.jpg

img0013lm0.jpg[/img]

??? posted on Tue May 08, 2007 5:21 pm

LNER Dia 86 General Van by D&S I also have the Dia 87 Milk version to build which does not have toplights and different ventilators

img0003ve6.jpg

img0006os5.jpg

img0007gh6.jpg

A old Roger Chivers ex NER CCT a ebay find with the roof missing. I scratchbuilt one using a plastic sheet over a suitable metal tin and boiling water.

img0004fs6.jpg

img0005so4.jpg[/img]

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Mon May 28, 2007 7:15 pm

Hi

Ex NER Mess and Tool vans for the Breakdown Crane.

I must be unlucky , the Mess Van had a one wrong end post supplied, hence construction has stalled. I have written to D&S Models hopefully Dan will still have some in stock, otherwise i will scratch one from plastic.

The Match Wagon now has its missing parts!! they are fitted and the wagon is finished.

I will post some more pictures when the sun comes out!!

Mess Van

img0019qj8.jpg

Tool Van

img0018vm7.jpg[/img]

I case anyone thinks they are made from bananas? it must be the camera angle, as both vans are straight and true!!

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Tue May 29, 2007 6:38 pm

As promised taken between showers!!

img0001xj2.jpg

img0004xy2.jpg

img0005wj3.jpg

A Parkside Toad Guards Van. I am not a big fan of plastic kits. They are easy builds but not as robust as other mediums. This one will have replacement buffers. Glazing and Roof and couplings are to be fixed as well.

Can anyone suggest a suitable source for the Square Type Guards Lamps. The only one I have found so far are the Springside version which are Loco Lamps painted Black hardly authentic!!

img0007fg8.jpg

Mick icon_lol.gif

LNER 4mm MODELS N9 & Y8 Goods Locos

by micklner

??? posted on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:00 pm

Hi

After the recent "events" on the forum involving Precision Labels I thought I would post some positive pictures of his products.

He has produced the below custom decals and the latex rubber "tarp" attached to my breakdown crane.This can also be used for weather sheets used on locomotives.

Both products are excellent with top service as well. Sorry for the slight blurring.

p5310001rp7.jpg

p5310002dp9.jpg

p6040005nw4.jpg

Mick icon_biggrin.gif [/img]

??? posted on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:48 pm

Hi

If you have spare kits yes please I would love them !!

I know PDK do the A2/2 are they any good? and they also list Great Northern as the A1/1 but it is not available as far as I know. Any other suggestions re kits/sources of kits of these locos would be interesting.

I have more than enough to build anyway! at the moment !. I have the Tool and Mess vans to finish, a NER Bogie Road Van half built as well.

Then I have half dozen NER D&S Coaches , two CCT's and a rake of Mailcoach Tourist Stock as well plus a couple of odd wagons and I am also trying to move house to finish it off at the moment!!

Mick icon_smile.gif

??? posted on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:48 pm

Hi

If you have spare kits yes please I would love them !!

I know PDK do the A2/2 are they any good? and they also list Great Northern as the A1/1 but it is not available as far as I know. Any other suggestions re kits/sources of kits of these locos would be interesting.

I have more than enough to build anyway! at the moment !. I have the Tool and Mess vans to finish, a NER Bogie Road Van half built as well.

Then I have half dozen NER D&S Coaches , two CCT's and a rake of Mailcoach Tourist Stock as well plus a couple of odd wagons and I am also trying to move house to finish it off at the moment!!

Mick icon_smile.gif

??? posted on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:00 pm

No response from D&S so i have made a replcement end post from Plastikard and Brass strap etching from Mainly Trains own products.

p6060001gb9.jpg

NER 25ton Bogie Road Van just needs handles for the body and the bogies to be built

p6060003cq1.jpg

p6060004nm5.jpg

p6060005av1.jpg

p6060006vx6.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi

Van now ready for painting. I will use Halfords Acrylic Red Oxide primer as the main colour.

p6100004ap8.jpg

p6100005ry7.jpg

Mick[/img]

??? posted on Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:33 am

Road van finished awaits couplings

img0001xq5.jpg

img0002co1.jpg

Breakdown vans ready for glazing and roofs

img0005hu7.jpg

img0006gc4.jpg

img0007df7.jpg

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:39 pm

Latest build a Wills Finecast A4 bought from Ripper.

I have added the brass details to the tender. There were a number of large joints which i have removed which has improved the look greatly.

p6280007np1.jpg

Rolling chassis Comet Gearbox and Mashima motor. I was well pleased when she ran first time without any binding.

p6280009nh6.jpg

I intend to convert her to W1 no 10000 also known as Hush Hush. I am awaiting a reply from Wills re replacement parts . It will need an extended cab area and rear bogie , otherwise very similar to the standard A4.

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:55 pm

Hi

My Tool and Mess Vans are just finished today, pictures to follow

Mick

??? posted on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:16 am

Hi

Re the last two posts

No knowledge of the DJH kit of the W1 any info welcome.

The Wills kit has a excellent chassis , as mentioned re the tender there are some very basic castings . The main loco body is cast in two lengths including the cab sides very pitted but it should clean up ok. Reasonable detail as well.

Re lining I presume you mean Hycilla, that was done using HMRS lining you need lots of patience and cutting but she turned out well!!

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:31 pm

Hi

I think that DJH have the edge by quite a way. Hycilla has better valve gear, the tender body , cab and smoke deflectors are all etched therfore better detailed. I am no expert but i beleieve the wills kits in various forms are upto 20 or more years old.

While I am here is the finished Breakdown Train.I need to make some Screw Couplings for the vans. I have just recieved some Masokits seven pairs for a fiver hopefully they will go together ok and cheap too!!

img0008lk4.jpg

img0009op8.jpg

img0010fd3.jpg

img0012wu4.jpg

img0013wn7.jpg

The Match truck has had some CooperCraft Platelayers tools added to finish it off.

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

[/img]

??? posted on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:31 pm

Hi

Further progress with the W1 awaits buffers, lettering, satin varnish after smokebox lining and front numbers

img0008ac0.jpg

img0010cd0.jpg

img0011ic2.jpg

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:36 pm

p.s.

I dumped the A4 body and bought a replacement W1 body as only ???’???‚¬????????‚??9.50 and there are a large differences in dimensions in the firebox area .

Wills provide very good service as well and you can buy any parts of their kits.

Mick icon_smile.gif

??? posted on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:29 pm

Latest adition

D&s ex NER Tranship Van

p8060002nj7.jpg

p8060001jn3.jpg

Now primed top coat tomorrow.

Mick

??? posted on Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:01 pm

Hi

Thanks for the comments.

I use mainly HMRS lettering for all my kits. I have tried Powsides without a lot of luck , very hard to get them to laydown into grooves etc, without falling to bits. Its a shame because they do some good variations of lettering which HMRS sheets do not always cover, I tried to find a site for Powsides without any luck so far.

Re D&S, give him a try he may still have some stock? I bought my Breakdown Train/Crane from him this year and have had a NER Inspection Saloon arrive today. Had anyone got pictures of this one in LNER days??

Mick icon_smile.gif

by micklner

??? posted on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:39 am

Hi

Completed W!

img0016ke8.jpg

img0017xh4.jpg

img0018rs0.jpg

img0019jr0.jpg

img0020np1.jpg

img0023tl8.jpg

img0024tc5.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Now some recent wagons

D&S Tranship van last listed in Brass.

img0004db4.jpg

img0005va5.jpg

img0006xk2.jpg

51L Plate Wagon

img0007wf4.jpg

David Geen Hopper Wagon

img0008zd3.jpg

img0009hi8.jpg

David Geen Perishable Van

img0014ue1.jpg

img0015jg9.jpg

I have used the Masokits Screw Couplings with this one. Fairly easy to make up and good quality and price.

Mick icon_smile.gif

??? posted on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi

Camera is a Canon G6 which has Super Macro Mode it does all the work!!

Cheers for comments I wish Mr Pinnock wrote clearer instructions at times!! Fighting with his instructions for a NER Inspection Coach might be clearer in Russian at times!!

Mick icon_lol.gif

??? posted on Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:01 am

cbeagleowner wrote:

What's next on the bench Mick? How about and A2/2 or Great Northern in Prussian Blue?

Hi

Both on the list , I am waiting for PDK to reissue Great Northern at the mo. A much abused locomotive I think it will look great in Blue with Red lining!!. Others I would like are Raven A2 ,C7 and Gresley P2.

On the bench at the mo are Two CCT's just painted and a lovely 6 wheel NER Inspection Saloon which is going to have Teak livery , should look good when done. Pics to follow.

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi

Current projects all D&S all loose fitted at mo

NER Inspection Saloon

img0002tp2.jpg

LNER Milk Van

img0006ps0.jpg

NER Aeroplane Van

img0007jz0.jpg

Underframes of all three

img0001zz7.jpg

cheers Mick

??? posted on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi Jonathan

Yes these are the ones mentioned on the Help Forum. I have actually darkened them with another layer of paint !! A mixture of Railmatch Teak with a drop of Black.

They were a lot lighter with the recomended Humbrol shade paint. I am happy with the shade , they are similar to the Van on the right in Buckjumpers post. They will be weathered a bit darker once decalled

This one is on the Gresley Beat good enough for me!!!

mchr22po3.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:29 pm

Hi Mozzer

No sorry Gresley Beat is nothing to do with me. I meant if thats the colours they use on stock, its good enough fo my models as well!!

Mick icon_redface.gif

??? posted on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:56 am

malcolm_durant wrote:

Lovely work as ever Mick
icon_cool.gif

Interesting to know the only real differences between a A4 and W1 are behind the spectacle plate. Inspired me to consider butchering a tender drive Hornby A4 I have in bits into something approaching a W1 when I finally crack on with that Merchant Navy that's still lurking OMWB...!

Malcolm

Malcolm

As i mentioned earlier the W1 and the A4 have significant differences in the Firebox area , Cab and rear bogie . As I said before I chucked the A4 body in the bin after trying to make it into the W1. I bought a new body from Wills. I have no idea if that would fit a Hornby chassis ??

Mick

??? posted on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:17 pm

Completed ex NER Inspectors Salon . This was used by Sir Vincent Raven when Asst CME of the NER

img0008pt8.jpg

img0002ma5.jpg

img0007sl2.jpg

img0006fd0.jpg

img0004qh1.jpg

You cant beat a nice bit of Teak!!

Mick

?LNER 4mm MODELS N9 & Y8 Goods Locos

by micklner

??? posted on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:21 pm

Finshed CCT's suitably dirty!!

Milk Van

img0006ah5.jpg

img0005kz5.jpg

img0008ch0.jpg

ex NER Aeroplane Van

img0010kb1.jpg

img0007fv8.jpg

img0003gy3.jpg

Just started on my first Clerestory Coach. Any suggestions re the best way to build the roof most welcome!!

Mick

??? posted on Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:40 pm

Jonathan

Yes please, I can see the "clerestory" if that what it is called? being a pain to fit to the main roof without gaps?

many thanks

icon_biggrin.gif Mick

??? posted on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:03 pm

Hi Mozzer

One guess!! Its a D&S etched brass ex NER all 3rd.

Instructions are poor as usual . It has a rolled plastic roof enough for main roof and the smaller one.

The only directions are " attach with pads using mek pak" As it is a brass three sided etch section cannot see how it would fit ?? as pads would push it up into the air above the main roof ?? Or should the roof be in three sections? I can post a picture if that helps.

thanks

Mick

??? posted on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:22 pm

Hi

Thanks for the info. I will post a couple of pictures tomorrow. Coach is nearly at painting stage and has gone well so far.

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:23 am

Progress so far

img0001vc9.jpg

As you can see the Clerestory section is very thin ,cant see how you could sit this between two roof sections?

img0002eb2.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:45 pm

Hi

Ta for comments. I think i will first keep it simple as possible and just attach to main roof and if there are any gaps i will hide with microstrip.

It is the usual split body and chassis format which is excellent for painting

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:44 pm

Hi

Nice model with excellent lining. First time i have seen a vintage ECJS vehicle modelled very interesting.

I have decided to follow Mozzer's advice, but only to simply bolt the Clerestory to the main roof . I wont glue the bolts to the small roof as the screws will show on my model. There is also a danger they could pull the small rood out of sahape when tightenend.

I have varnished the main body today, glazing etc to follow this week.

Next up is a Matchboard all 3rd version, very nice as it follows different practices copied from America after a NER Board visit there in the early 1900's

Mick icon_smile.gif

??? posted on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:31 am

Glazed this morning , pictures prior to that, nothing "screwed down" in the pictures

img0005vv8.jpg

img0006zx0.jpg

img0004pt5.jpg

Mick icon_smile.gif

??? posted on Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:58 pm

Hi

Since my last post a few problems!! The Clerestory section when screwed down left a huge gap on each side. Not viable to fill as it would be hard to get a painted straight line .

A brainwave later I then realised that it was sitting on top of the roof curve as the section is supplied flat , not a good combination for a decent fit.

After some work with the Dremel and a slotting disc I then curved the remaining screw mounting sections . I then fitted the section and still not perfect , superglue and rubber bands later it now is fixed on!! no gaps and just glazed this evening.

I will take some more pictures before fixing the small roof section.

Pictures so far

As supplied I have added holes for mounting screws

p9190001df7.jpg

modified

p9190003fu0.jpg

As a result of the cutting I have had to repaint and reglaze the part.

Anyway while that has dragged on I have got this far with the NER Matchboard 3rd

p9220005kc9.jpg

A bit blurred but it gives a idea of the underfarme detail

p9220004ly8.jpg

This is now primed . I used MJT door handles and grab handles , thanks Jonathan!! for the .

This is the first time I have used their products. Does anyone now what their Gresley Bogies and articultion parts are like?

i was thinking of using them on my Gresley Tourist and Coronation stock in the waiting pile. To save a bit would the Kirk Bogie fronts fit onto the MJT bogies?

Cheers Mick

Mick

??? posted on Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:43 pm

Clerestory fixed

img0002yq9.jpg

Virtually finished . Just needs a light weathering on the underframe and bogies. Wheels are masked up at present time

img0009pi4.jpg

img0010oe5.jpg

img0011dk7.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:57 pm

Hi

I never realised until know that the Coronation ran on 10 foot centre bogies.!!

No expert on GWR, are GWR 10 ft similar to Gresley? Any suggestion as to a source to buy some?

Lastly did Tourist Stock have a 10 foot center bogie? The Harris book does'nt seem to cover their size

thanks Mick

by micklner

??? posted on Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:59 pm

Hi

Thanks for that . The Coronation kits I have are still bagged , hopefully I would have realised? but thanks it may have saved me a big mistake.

I am no lover of plastic either but have so far failed to find a whitemetal 10ft version so they may have to do with some MJT bogies

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:16 pm

Hi

Coaches now finished both have a light weathering to underframe and bogies

Clerestory 3rd

img0003iw9.jpg

Matchboard 3rd

img0008bc2.jpg

Hopefully you can see the open toilet fanlight

img0007wa5.jpg

img0009ub5.jpg

Latest project DJH LNER A2 City of Durham/York not sure which one to build yet. It has the LNER 8 wheel non corridor tender and I am still trying to source pictures of both Locomotives. I in particular the nearside(right)

img0011do0.jpg

??? posted on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:08 pm

Hi

I found this one in California and came up for sale at the same time as your postings.

Front joint has gone together ok and is the only work I have done so far other some cleaning up flash on the footplate. There are some horrible flash/casting marks left on both front splashers which are going to be a pain to fill flat.

The boiler was badly blackened and was a pain to clean up as well!!!!. Otherwise it appears to be a quite simple kit. The loco appears quite simple in the detail dept I wonder if the cab roof will fit ??

The Cartazzi trucks are a simple one piece outer casting for each side and fit underneath the cab as per the Wills W1 I have built. The truck wheel still sits in the fitting as per the first two locos with the inside bearing.

Re the boiler there are cutouts for the splashers I presume you only remove enough for the gearbox to fit? I have soldered the seam on the boiler for the whole length from the inside.

Any other tips are most welcome!!

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:38 pm

Coachman wrote:

Mickler, the painting and lining on your 'Hycilla' is particularly well done, and I was going to ask you if you are a Pro model painter. However, on seeing the 10000 4-6-4 there appears to be a variation in quality with transfer lining.
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

Hi

No to sure whet is wrong with my transfers on W1 ? If you mean the very slight wrinkle on the smokebox lining ? you must remember the camera exagerates everything in the extreme. I noticed it myself only after posting the pictures. It has now gone!!!!!! only needed slicing with a sharp SM blade and some Mocroscale.

Glad you like Hycilla !!

Mick

??? posted on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi Morgan

Well I was warned!! she is proving to be a bit awkward.

As mentioned the roof doesnt fit started cutting etc . All put together I then realised what I believe is the problem?. The floor and cab sides etch is too small, we have been blaming a oversize roof. After finishing and placing on the footplate the remaing edge to cab sides is way overscale. I also found the sandbox filling castings between firebox and the outer cab sides wouldnt fit they were too wide.

Is should have realised as the Spectacle Plate and the floor was also too big???

I have spent all of today breaking it down again . I have cut the floor and moved it out 1mm on each side. Now the roof and sandbox castings fit and the footplate is also correct.

Morgan do you have a picture/drawing of the Screw Reverse ? I have only found one picture in the RCTS book so far and it is small and murky.

I will check the drivers with boiler in due course

Pictures so far. I have managed to fit a Mashima on the rear drivers and there is also space for a flywheel as well. Nothing is fixed down in below pictures.

img0001ho9.jpg

img0002zd1.jpg

img0005ya1.jpg

cheers Mick

??? posted on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:17 am

Hi

Yes its the rod on the right side which replace the Steam reversing gear.

Are the splashers attched to the boiler sides or left loose in photos they look joined?

I will try and get a Isinglass drawing.

cheers Mick

??? posted on Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:37 pm

Hi

Progress has been a bit slow due to finding some extra detail pictures (many thanks Rob) and a copy of an Isinglass Drawing.

Wheels lined coutesy of Fox transfers very good

img0002ta3.jpg

8 wheel tender nearly complete since these pictures were taken. Instructions and drawings supplied with kit are poor . I had a number of problems and some items were a poor fit but nothing that couldnt be solved .

img0004et9.jpg

img0005qg0.jpg

img0006zo7.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:37 pm

Tender ready for painting

I have left lampirons leaning forward, this allows paint to spray behind them without runs. They are brass and I dont want to keep bending them backwards and forwards with the risk of them breaking away.

img0005kp4.jpg

img0007hj7.jpg

img0006yr7.jpg

Chassis running in. I leave paper behind soldered crankpin washers until confirmation that all was well. Fotunatly running well no binding on first build, well pleased!! I normally use my Hornby Running Road however the frames are so long on the A2 it was easy to use the following set up. Flywheel to be added once wired up. Chassis needs brakes and drain cocks and it will also be finished.

img0001xo1.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:48 pm

Loco nearly finished

img0002mk6.jpg

img0005jw4.jpg

img0006sc6.jpg

Mick icon_lol.gif

??? posted on Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:57 pm

One more

img0003ef9.jpg

Bit more detailing and it should be in primer in next couple of days

Mick icon_smile.gif

??? posted on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:51 pm

Hi all

Ta for comments.

JW did DJH make City of Ripon with the Gresley Boiler?

Durham now in primer. I have added a figure just to show how big she is !!

img0030ec3.jpg

img0033sn0.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:14 pm

Hi Rob

more like the thought of the lining to be done!!!!!!

cheers Mick icon_biggrin.gif

by micklner

??? posted on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi

I have seen the Apple Green Models on their site very expensive and cant say they appear that good either?? having said that the pictures are very poor quality/very small so i may be wrong?.

Anyway Durham has had the Black sprayed on Loco and tender i will leave for a couple of days to harden before anything else is done.

The next project a Xmas preseie?? perhaps?? will be a A2/2 in LNER green probably Wolf of Badenoch. Anyone built the PDK kit??

cheers Mick

??? posted on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:10 pm

Now painted with gloss varnish finish prior to lining

img0005im2.jpg

img0009vt5.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi

A couple of City of Durham I wasnt happy with the others so i will try and do some more when we get some decent light

img0017kh8.jpg

img0011uj5.jpg

img0008dq2.jpg

img0010dy8.jpg

I have scratchbuilt Brass Safety Valves, Brass Splasher Beading, Nickel Silver Reversing Gear and detailed the cab and added a crew.

Also on the go at the moment

D&S Ex NER Autocoach this the Elleptical Eoof version as modified by the LNER in the early 1940's it wiil go with my G5 which is autofitted and shown earlier in my thread

img0026mz9.jpg

img0028yj5.jpg

img0027ec5.jpg

Some finished wagons ex NER

img0030cu3.jpg

img0032pw6.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Hi Rob

They were a ebay buy and built and painted originally NER Pale Blue, so not sure. At a guess David Geen or 51L ?? Not a fan of Geen stuff personally , I find the wagon/van sides sometimes have poor plank lines. So I think more likely 51L ? The 20 Ton Hopper is one of the excellent Slaters kits.

Normal Precision LNER Freight Grey then thinned wash of Matt Black followed with some Tamaiya weathering powders Snow Soot and Rust , first time i have used them they faded the Grey quite well .

cheers

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:34 pm

Hi

A couple more of City of Durham

img0004be6.jpg

img0017of4.jpg

img0006yv1.jpg

Tender just needs to have a screw coupling fitted. I have noticed a couple of missed bits which should have Black paint!! . Does anyone know if the interior of cab doors where painted Green or Black?. I have also fixed the Cab Sidescreen glazing!!

D&S NER Dia 63 Composite 49 Foot. When this is completed I will paint this and the Autocoach previously at the same time. The Autocoach body is now finished in primer.

img0026jp4.jpg

img0028jb9.jpg

img0029gs2.jpg

Roger Chivers NER Bogie CCT a recent ebay find

img0025gv0.jpg

img0022lp9.jpg

I have used the excellent MRJ article by Peter Tadlow on building the CCT , this has helped in adding further underframe details to the parts supplied in the kit. Body just need Door strapping and a couple of other small details.

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:51 pm

Hi

It awaits a plastic one once Roger has time to make one!! I also have a unstarted Extra Long CCT of his with the same problem.

Mick icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi

Underfrane of the Bogie CCT. modified as per Tadlow article

The underframe as supplied has a thin etch from the floor to represent the Truss Rods and Queen Posts you can see the outline in the picture. I removed the etched rods , the brake vee's were also on the wrong side for one side of the vehicle.That side also requires the solebar step above to be removed

I have added Brass Rod for the Truss Rods , removed the Vee's and soldered in the correct postion opposite each other , Vacumn Cylinders and Westinghouse Cylinder, supports and various linkages also completed.

On the body I added twenty!! brackets to the solebars, door handles, and stirrup steps to the left steps sides .

Body is now in primer awaits completion of the Extra Long CCT before further painting.

p1250002oj8.jpg

Mick icon_smile.gif

??? posted on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:57 am

Progress so far

Ex NER Bogie CCT awaits a new roof from Roger Chivers

dsc0005oq8.jpg

Autocoach

dsc0007hg7.jpg

Composite

dsc0008vz8.jpg

Coaches should have roofs fitted today, then vac pipes and light weathering

XL CCT

dsc0010au9.jpg

Mick icon_wave.gif

??? posted on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:30 am

Hi Mozzer

Great news i will try there

many thanks

Mick

??? posted on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:57 pm

System has crashed twice hence some photos a couple at a time

Jidenco LNER Cattle Wagon awful kit no tabs or any locations I wont be buying any more!!

dsc0011vl1.jpg

NER Autocoach awaits final weathering

dsc0014pk8.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:04 pm

A few Hoppers

dsc0016uj6.jpg

C+L add on etch for outside W Irons and Brake Lever

dsc0017wx4.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:10 pm

Lastly Precison Labels Decals fitted to X Long CCT

dsc0004sq1.jpg

dsc0006fo6.jpg

Mick icon_wave.gif

??? posted on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:41 am

jwealleans wrote:

Top work as ever, Mick. How does the long CCT compare when you put it next to a Parkside one?

Did you get anywhere with finding the brass detailing components for the brakes on those hoppers? I can't recall whose thread I saw them on but ISTR you were asking about them.

I hope you've got a Q6 or Q7 tucked away to haul them?

Hi J

Havent tried any Parkside versions , I prefer Brass when available much easier to work with. Detail is good on the Chivers versions with much stronger steps!!.

Hopper brakes? had a couple of great photos posted on my Hopper thread and when I have time to make some I am only missing very minor details, they are fairly simple layout.

Q6 ?? I have a Nucast one along with a J27 and a couple of J39's + one Q6 on order from Roger Chivers at the moment.

cheers Mick icon_wave.gif

??? posted on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Ex NER Bogie CCT now finished . Image Shack is a nightmare again so just a couple at atime

dsc0003zl3.jpg

dsc0004tj2.jpg

dsc0006qu9.jpg

??? posted on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:16 pm

X Long CCT

dsc0012ou6.jpg

dsc0013cd2.jpg

dsc0014yx2.jpg

Both CCT's have excellent Blacksmith roofs

??? posted on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:21 pm

The Jidenco cattle Van didnt turn out to bad. I added a mixture of Masokits and Mainly Trains Brake gear

dsc0010qt4.jpg

??? posted on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:39 pm

D&S Ex NER all 3rd Suburban

dsc0015cu2.jpg

dsc0020kn1.jpg

dsc0019wg4.jpg

??? posted on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:42 pm

Bogie Bolster

dsc0021mx7.jpg

by micklner

??? posted on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Hoppers are all weathered a couple of examples

dsc0023ot4.jpg

dsc0030lr8.jpg

dsc0031lz3.jpg

dsc0035en1.jpg

Mick icon_wave.gif

??? posted on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:17 pm

Hi J

Yes the one shown with the outside W Irons.

RE BB i dont know what it is?? bought secondhand and improved by me, I think its a GWR type!!!!

Mick

??? posted on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:15 am

Hi

Many thanks icon_clap.gif I will give it a re lettering to QUAD . Yes it is a plastic kit. A nice result it has turned out to be NER as it was a cheap ebay buy .

I have just bought the new Tatlow LNER Wagon Book Vol 2 which is excellent. I will have look for pictures therein.

Mick icon_wave.gif

??? posted on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:23 pm

Last of my stock icon_grumpy.gif of D&S Models now finished.

Thanks to Coachman re advice on fitting windows with Bostik. It works very well and a recomended method.

Dia 178 All Third with Electric Lighting & Dia 222 Composite with Gas Lighting.

dsc0001ka7.jpg

dsc0066bx8.jpg

??? posted on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:28 pm

dsc0004bn9.jpg

??? posted on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:30 pm

dsc0064gh3.jpg

??? posted on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:33 pm

dsc0065in4.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:44 pm

Just made a start on some Mailcoach Tourist Stock.

Quality is poor compared to D&S but being plastic they are a a very easy build. The clear sides will be fun to paint!!

I have added some Lead to the underneath of the bogies which are now very free running!!

Just waiting for some MJT parts to detail the Artic Units underframes. Buffet and Brake 3rds are done with bits I already had in stock.

dsc0009ik5.jpg

dsc0010kz0.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:33 pm

Some progress on the Tourist Stock

dsc0039em7.jpg

Latest Hornby Mallard this is a cheap ebay find sold as with a "loose coupling" defect . On reciept the oil drive lubricators moulding had come loose and dropped into coupling rod with minimal damage. A drop of glue and straighten the coupling rod was all that was needed ,now runs superbly at all speeds.

I dont normally weather my Express Engines but every picture I have seen of the LNER A4's even when new are in this condition or worse.

I have renumbered, renamed using the excellent Jackson Evans plates, coaled and light weathering as Capercaillie

dsc0020ah4.jpg

dsc0015ql9.jpg

dsc0018xe2.jpg

dsc0023eu9.jpg

dsc0022eo1.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:20 pm

A couple of finished wagons

D&S ex GER 10 ton Brakevan

dsc0010ct5.jpg

dsc0001bp1.jpg

Slaters Chas Roberts pre printed kit

dsc0015pk0.jpg

D&S ex NER end brake hopper

dsc0007xk1.jpg

dsc0016ls0.jpg

The Tourist Stock x 6 is finished other than some lettering pics soon

Mick icon_wave.gif

??? posted on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:21 pm

A couple of finished wagons

D&S ex GER 10 ton Brakevan

dsc0010ct5.jpg

dsc0001bp1.jpg

Slaters Chas Roberts pre printed kit

dsc0015pk0.jpg

D&S ex NER end brake hopper

dsc0007xk1.jpg

dsc0016ls0.jpg

The Tourist Stock x 6 is finished other than some lettering pics soon

Mick icon_wave.gif

??? posted on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:31 pm

Mailcoach Tourist Stock been a total pain in the a@**@rr$$e but done as best as i can get them. The clear side design simply does'nt work you cannot get perfect lines on the window edges despite numerous attempts!!!!!!!!

Artic Twin and Buffet Car

dsc0007gx6.jpg

dsc0008nq0.jpg

Corridor Connections I used the paper concertina type

dsc0006hu6.jpg

Artic Twin and Brake 3rd

dsc0003ec3.jpg

dsc0004nj0.jpg

dsc0005km6.jpg

MJT vents , battery boxes, vacumn tanks and etched door handles and handles add some detail

Mick

??? posted on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:00 pm

In answer to the questions

Green was airbrushed top section masked off as er earlier photo i numbered and lettered at this stage as well. Cream section was handpainted, no way can you mask the windows due to the toplight section. I think these kits are a very old design and it shows in the general moulding quality.

Interior was simply painted freehand ensuring you keep back from the window edges, you can hardly see inside anyway with the roof on , seats and tables and corridor sections are fitted as per supplied with kits.

After this "adventure" the couple of kits of Coronation stock I had were offloaded on E Bay .No way did I want to sell them to anyone on this forum!!.

I am between layouts at the mo , as this rake is in the region of 6 feet long without the Loco, I better make a long one!!

The rake runs very freely the lead I added to the bogies is a big help + the MJT whitemetal detail parts, the Artic units have a brass washer between the body locating pegs and the bogies and are free moving as well. I have also added Dingham Couplers which appear ok at the mo !!

ta for comments

Mick

??? posted on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:25 pm

D&S ex NER 10 ton Brake Van detail obtained from the excellent Tatlow LNER Wagons Vol 2. I have added some detail to body including lamp irons and lamps. Wheels are taped at moment pending underframe weathering via airbrush.

dsc0006on0.jpg

dsc0007ss7.jpg

dsc0008ix3.jpg

Latest project a D&S NER 6 wheel Brake . This has been quite a bit of work so far. Lots of handrails required which were a lot of bending!! Photos are prior to final wash . It is now in etch primer finish , awaiting Teak paint.

dsc0001xh4.jpg

dsc0003vt2.jpg

dsc0004lz2.jpg

Mick icon_wave.gif

??? posted on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:31 pm

Some progress Brake van is now finished.

dsc0001ej4.jpg

dsc0002gb7.jpg

Passenger Brake next stage Decals then Satin varnish the body

dsc0003xp8.jpg

dsc0004jc3.jpg

D&S Ex NER Horsebox coming on nicely

dsc0005ss6.jpg

dsc0006gq5.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:49 am

Both finished

dsc0014ga0.jpg

dsc0001df3.jpg

dsc0004kt8.jpg

dsc0007az0.jpg

dsc0011ms5.jpg

dsc0013wk7.jpg

Now building ex NER Dia 25 O/F CCT

dsc0010yw8.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:31 am

Hi

Can anyone assist re photos of the ex NER Dia 25 CCT I am building in the last picture I posted above.

In particular did it have beading above the Outside Framing? I have removed the beading from my model at the moment as I have just found one photo from North Eastern Record Vol 2 of a model as used on the Bramblewick Layout. This model has no beading. The instructions dont cover this either way!!!!. icon_frustrated.gif

I also the need the lettering layout for the LNER period as the instructions do not cover this period.

cheers Mick

by micklner

??? posted on Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:59 am

CCT completed ( roof now glued down) I have modelled the one on the Bramblewick layout using the same serial number. A very elusive CCT never found out much more about them. I have one picture on its way at moment of a beaded version.

dsc0002fs5.jpg

dsc0004mx9.jpg

Bachmann LNER Brake van

I have removed some handrails and added couplings and new wheels . Turned out quite well. Only cost a fiver off ebay icon_clap.gif

dsc0005px0.jpg

dsc0006us0.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:10 am

Hi Doug

My A4 is only lightly weathered on the sides I didnt want to go over the "top" with her. It is based on photos of A4's when they were new and been in use for a few weeks.

I use a Iwata Airbrush using a 50:50 mix with quick drying thinners.I use Precision Paints for Company colours, Railmatch for weathering normally Rail Grime ( I find their Company Colours are very pale in my opinion) and Humbrol/Revell for general colours. I dont use Acrylics much prefering Enamel.

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:14 pm

Hi Rob

I hope so!! given up trying to move house so having a new shed 10'x8' within next couple of weeks and then a layout therein.

It will be my first for nearly 20 years so its going to be fun figureing out what to do again!!!!. It will be a Tailchaser , DC , SMP code 75 with Peco live frog Large radius points and mainly Skaledale Goathland Type Buildings which I have already. One side will be storage sidings probably the door side with a access flap.

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:29 pm

Hi

As far as i know there was only door?? on the horsebox, the door actually goes into the roof area so I presume it would be quite long. The metal sections below the door I believe are a type of spring support.

Re the CCT I just love any late Victorian period rolling stock so stylish and lasting so long through LNER days into BR.

No worries re the flap it will be firmly bolted down and only lifted on rare occasions as long as my back holds out!! I have no intention of leaving much stock unattended in the shed when not in use. To many thieves about to risk it.

thanks Mick

??? posted on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:27 pm

jwealleans wrote:

That CCT is indeed a thing of beauty and character, Mick, as you say. I was delighted to find one in my kit stash this afternoon. One thing - I don't know how many pictures you located, but the one on Spital had full length footboards. It changes the appearance quite significantly. I notice Dan doesn't mention that in his instructions.

I don't think horseboxes were ever unloaded to ground level, were they? There was always a platform or dock of some sort involved.

Hi

So far i havent any photos of the CCT !! and not many of any other Diagrams !! does anyone know suitable sources (I have the Campling book which covers two other NER CCT's and one GNR version). Re Dan/D&S his instructions are confusing at times to say the least!! icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif

Horsebox I would agree , but who knows I certainly dont know either way!! never seen a picture of one in use ,they are either posed or in a moving train

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:17 am

Hi

A couple of ABS NER P7 end brake hopper versions with C+L add on etch used

p1010002iz3.jpg

p1010004pg2.jpg

p1010005ab3.jpg

p1010006ks5.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:34 pm

Hi J

If you do speak to them ask them if they ever found out about fitting instructions? As i never heard anything further from them and guessed which parts went were.

For your info you will need the V Hangers as they are not on the etch. I used some from Mainly Trains etch 1230 which has only 4 thereon.

Enjoy the show

Mick

??? posted on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:10 pm

As a result of comments on another thread I have now corrected the connecting brake push rod system these are now in primer

Corrected Hoppers

dsc0001bp0.jpg

dsc0003ag7.jpg

I am suprised no one commeneted on the Black dots on the brass parts in the pictures they are in fact "rivet" transfers by http://www.archertransfers.com . This is the first time I have used them and much better than trying to push half etched holes out from the inside which i never have any luck with as always inconsistent sizes.

dsc0005hz1.jpg

With regard to my last CCT the photo I mentioned earlier has now been recived and as usual the lettering layout I guessed at was wrong. Many thanks to 1949bob for the picture

dsc0001px5.jpg

I love this one very tempting to build a further one must speak to Precision Labels re lettering first!!

dsc0002vd2.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi

Yes very pleased with the corners they have come up well icon_winker.gif

Transfers layed straight onto metal after coat of Microsol then brushed over again with a further coat of Microsol after laying. Didnt know if they would stick but they did icon_thumbsup2.gif I would recomend they treated with extreme care afterwards until painted

Mick

??? posted on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:23 pm

Hi

CCT finished with Beading and Brake Rods. I think it looks better with the beading.

dsc0017xh3.jpg

NBR Gunpowder Van awaits a light coat of Railmatch frame dirt + a good dusting + sort out the Gunpowder lettering icon_lol.gif

dsc0018nm6.jpg

View of the roof I have used the Rivet transfers again . They have worked very well

dsc0019at0.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:23 pm

deleted posted twice

??? posted on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:05 pm

Re last comment I used the Fox A3 set cutting the transfer through as slightly too large. Still fitted ok with a drop of Micro Set.

Bachmann J39 . I have now built my baseboards and will use this as a test hack for track laying. Couplings and Glazing to be fitted.

dsc0011zq5.jpg

dsc0018jq6.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:11 pm

Coachmann wrote:

Did you fit the drive link to the footplate mounted lubricator or is it on the Bachmann J39 already?

coach

Already fitted ,it looks a bit large in photo must tone in down a bit !!

Mick

??? posted on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Been busy buiding some baseboards. As a result of the forthcoming layout a visit to the loft has produced the follwing locos. I have a few more to dust down as well. All have been stored for nearly 20 years and they all work after a drop of oil!!

K's ex NER Y8 a favourite of mine and still has a working K's motor which is over 20 years old!!

dsc_0001218.jpg

Mick

??? posted on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:18 pm

Now the remainder. Keet getting messages re size and pixels these are via XS.TO hosting, they download quicker then imageshck as well icon_thumbsup2.gif

K's ex GNR C1 this and all the other locos have Anchorage motors either D11 or D13 all run really well

dsc_0005227.jpg

dsc_0006593.jpg

Mc Gowan V1/V3

dsc_0009608.jpg

dsc_0010182.jpg

dsc_0011600.jpg

Millholme A2/3 Ocean Swell only one photo as the others were blurred, will do some more if wanted. Detail not as fine as the DJH Hycilla , she weights a "ton" and pulls like the proverbial train icon_thumbsup2.gif

dsc_0012544.jpg

Lastly a Townstreet building which I have just built

dsc_0016175.jpg

dsc_0017141.jpg

dsc_0018206.jpg

Mick

by micklner

??? posted on Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:07 am

Working this end ??? I will do some more with Irfanview. Off to the Blubell for the Autumn Gala in a mo

Mick icon_wave.gif icon_wave.gif

??? posted on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Another attempt using Infraview for first time. They should be self explantory

file.php?id=38016

file.php?id=38017

file.php?id=38018

file.php?id=38019

file.php?id=38020

file.php?id=38021

file.php?id=38022

file.php?id=38025

cheers Mick

file.php?id=38024

file.php?id=38023

??? posted on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:05 pm

Missed one icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif

file.php?id=38026

Very easy to post once u get the old barnet round it icon_thumbsup2.gif

Mick icon_lol.gif

??? posted on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:28 am

Hi

Imageshack on the LNER forum . More pics to come!!

Mick

??? posted on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:20 am

Metropolitan wrote:

micklner wrote:

Another attempt using Infraview for first time. They should be self explantory

DSC_0005.jpg

The Ivatt Atlantic is a joy to behold Mick!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I notice you have picked out with a red line certains parts of the fames in addition to the line following the running plate. Was this lining univerally applied to all the LNER C1's? (if so I've got some more work to do on mine!
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Simple answer not sure! She was built 20 years ago and I cant remember!!

As I do NER these days I havent got any research to hand anymore. I presume it would have been from a photograph at the time of the build. I had a clear out of surplus locos recently and it was the only non NER pre group that I have kept as she is a cracker!!

cheers Mick

??? posted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:17 am

Rob

The V1 is about twenty years old!!! Dont remember much about the build other than battling with the valvegear. But I think that applies to most kits of that vintage.

While I am here I am now building a the ex NER Elephant Truck I am still guessing what colour to paint the main body. Bill Bedford on another forum has suggested Red Oxide as used on LNER fitted stock?? Anyone any suggestions. From the photo below teh paint appears to be quite dark. It was painted in 1925 and I am wondering if its still in NER Red livery. Using more paint up ???

file.php?id=39095

Mick

??? posted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:14 am

Hi

I am presuming this photo was taken after repaint as its still got white rims to wheels . I have just looked at Campling's Orange Volume re this and he has all NSPCC stock as Teak paint including solebars. i will probably go with that.

I have just take a photo of my other dia 25 and changed picture to black & white, doesnt seem to be much in it??

file.php?id=39109

cheers Mick

??? posted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:04 pm

Good info from everybody icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif I will check i player in a minute. This is how far the CCT has got awaits primer and remainder of brake gear around wheels. then the dreaded colour for the body icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif (rocking w iron is loose) . Archer Rivet transfers , plates etc from Mainly trains detail etch

file.php?id=39172

Mick

??? posted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Viewed I player if the coaches are Teak colour? or are they Crimson!!! the the second van is the same colour the van with the white roof is bauxite (in my opinion).I am no expert re BR livery and no idea when the colours were in use. The Blood and Custard Coaches look like brand new paint .

Which Precision Teak are you refering to J as I have three versions

cheers Mick

??? posted on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Another one from the loft

A early Hornby Flying Scotsman converted to the Double Chimney Humorist with the Crownline GN tender. I will add some Gibson front bogie wheels in due course.

file.php?id=41548

Mick

??? posted on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:48 am

Wills Kit

file.php?id=41777

file.php?id=41779

On saeeing photo a couple of bits to do still. I have narrowed the rear building barge boards since the photo, much better

Mick

??? posted on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi

Boards done, just awaiting a revised plan from Hugh from this forum , mix up over board sizes. The layout is in the shed so I am hoping for a mild winter!!!.

Just started on repainting some Skaledale buildings into the first LNER livery , so plenty to do ..

Ocean Swell is a good loco thanks , overall its not in the detail level of Hycilla . But then she is over 20 years old!!

Mick

??? posted on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:16 am

Hi

Ocean Swell is a Millholme kit. Gresley Beat icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif I wish the shed is 10 x 8 !!!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif .

I have few more in the loft waiting to be dusted off. From memory not shown so far here on the forum are a Two old style converted A4's Sea Eagle & Canada, NuCast Q6, J27, J21, G5, N8 DJH WD 2-8-0, NB J37, DJH A2 AH Peppercorn + current Hornby A4 x3 and a A3 Gladiateur and a Nucast Sentinel Railcar.

I dont think i will be building many more !!! one to come will be a PDK A1/1 Great Northern icon_drool.gif icon_drool.gif icon_drool.gif which is due out by the end of the year she will be in Royal Blue with Red lining.

Mick

by micklner

??? posted on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:31 pm

Nu Cast G5. This has a scratch chassis with K's Driving wheels and a K's motor which still runs after nearly 20 years !!!

file.php?id=43005

Ratio signal box in early LNER colours

file.php?id=43006

Mick

??? posted on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:51 pm

Hornby A4's all modified from either the old versions of Seagull or Mallard models.

The Garter Blue variants have had Stainless Steel Lettering and Trim and a lost wax Bell in the case of Canada and Fox Coat of Arms Decals added to both.

Sea Eagle is lined in HMRS decals and is a favourite of mine.

I wish Hornby produced the Apple Green/Garter Blue Single Chimney Corridor tender versions. icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif

file.php?id=44455

file.php?id=44456

file.php?id=44457

file.php?id=44458

file.php?id=44459

Mick

??? posted on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:58 pm

Sorry its 20 years old , no idea now. I some ways i thik a lot of things have gone backwards as to add on items.

Oooooooooops its back on the rail now !!!!!

Mick

??? posted on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:43 pm

Hi

Quicksilver ? got one icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif I would be a travesty to repaint it far too good and at a guess quite rare?

cheers Mick

??? posted on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Nucast J21 and J27 . K's O4. they all have DS10 or D11 motors

file.php?id=45064

file.php?id=45065

file.php?id=45066

Mick

??? posted on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:48 pm

Sorry never seen pictures of a Alexander Q6 other then on his site which is one very small picture. Hopefully I will have the Chivers version soon. I am also looking forward to the etched Q5 that has featured on this forum which has links to Roger Chivers as well.

By coincidence I am just rebuilding the chassis on my old Nucast version . It had the dreaded K's motor and wheels and has been stored for nearly 20 years. It still worked when tested JUST !! When i touched the motor it was Red Hot !!!Ouch!! That has gone in the bin!!

I am now fitting a Mashima , high level gearbox and romford wheels , plus some extra detail while its in bits. It should be a nice puller for my layout which I am just starting

cheers Mick

??? posted on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:27 pm

No I'm guilty of skimming your message I forgot he did others !! icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif .

I havent seen his J21/J27/G5 0-4-4 either!!!! I used his push pull equipment on my earlier pictures of my other G5 a few pages back , that was good quality.

My mistake still got a couple of nice Q6 pictures posted as a result!!! very nice job.

Mick

??? posted on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Thanks for comments

A pleasant suprprise was that all of the locos fitted with K's wheels ,which I think are steel rims? , have not a sign of rust after 20 years well done to k's (just dont take them off!!) icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif better then Gibson I have had rust appear on them just sitting on the window sill icon_grumpy.gif icon_grumpy.gif

Next up is KOYLI a V2 which I have been giving a once over to this week . Pics soon

Mick icon_wave.gif icon_wave.gif

??? posted on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:26 pm

Gresley V2 Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Another oldie which have now applied some weathering and some more detail where possible. Again a D11 motor job. I think it is a Jamieson kit ? The tender is definatley one as its nickel silver , the valve gear is theirs as well.

file.php?id=47104

file.php?id=47105

Mick

??? posted on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:23 pm

Hi

I simply dont remember its origin its that old. The V2 loco body is whitemetal and all is all glue construction as is the nickel silver tender. I have no marked box for it , so its not Nucast/DJH/Millholme as I would have retained the original box .

I only discovered soldering other than wiring/motion parts about three years ago on my return to Railway modelling. Whitemetal soldering even later which I still avoid most of the time!!

cheers Mick

??? posted on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:59 pm

gr.king wrote:

As the loco body you say is whitemetal I'd have been tempted to guess that it's actually Nu-Cast, especially if it it weighs A TON, and that the nickel silver tender might be a substitute for the equally fearsomely heavy Nu-Cast tender (simply to give the loco some residual power to pull a train as well as pulling itself and its tender along!)

But if you say it isn't Nu-Cast I can't argue - you bought/built it after all!

The loco weighs a ton !! you are right about that. I never had much money in those days and would have used the original tender. The original valve gear would have also been used as well. KOYLI has battleship brass frames and I would think NU Cast of that vintage would still have been whitemetal chassis. My J21 , J27 and the Q6 I am updating are as well. I think there is a replacement chassis for the Q6 but havent found any details so far??? anyone any ideas???

I always used what I had to hand if usable/cheaper. Hence a couple of the recent locos from storage I have shown above still have K's wheels e.g O4 & J21 as they were much cheaper than Romfords. They are still in good condition and can stay for now, especially as Romfords are ??????‚??5 nearly each!!!!

Mick

by micklner

??? posted on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:02 am

Hi

Bristol Models rings a very vague bell re the V2 icon_what.gif icon_what.gif icon_what.gif

Re wheels I havent tried the W&T version as of yet. When the new Roger Chivers friend Arthurs Q5 comes out i will try them on that.

I find ALL of the Markit prices totally daft and it must be putting off a lot of people from modelling which is quite sad icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif . Not surprised sales are dropping .I dont use them on cost grounds.

I manage to pick up wheels from E Bay when needed. Anyone got two 26mm Insulated Romfords for the forthcoming A1/1 icon_what.gif icon_what.gif

I will email Alexander Models to see if a Q6 chassis is available icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif

Mick

??? posted on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:02 am

Q6 re born.

The chassis has been upgraded with a Mashima, High Level gearbox & Romford wheels. No response from Alexander Models so I stayed with whitemetal chassis . Runs really well so very pleased.

file.php?id=53300

Mick

??? posted on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:40 am

Elephant Truck finished, decals by Precision Labels.

file.php?id=53301

file.php?id=53302

file.php?id=53303

As you can see I went for NER Crimson Lake , enquiries never confirmed the colour in the original photgraph ( thank to Buckjumper for his efforts), it makes a change from LNER Teak. Painting date was 1925 and I have presumed they were using up old paint stock at the time. The NER were independent even then, an example is there continued use of NER Class codes on buffer beams until well into the 1930's

Mick

??? posted on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks , yes excellent service by Precision Labels . The above set cost ??????‚??10 with a spare set included. You must be VERY careful with them as very fragile especially in the "plank grooves" as they are hard to settle them down even with Micro Set.

Mick

??? posted on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:33 am

Yes I only emailed Alexander Models ,will bear that in mind as he does some useful parts, this Q6 can stay as it is.

I am looking forward to a Chivers version of the Q6 at some time ?? and also plan to do the Q5 which has been mentioned by Arthur / North Eastern etchings on this forum.

Anything happening on Botanic Garden?

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:56 pm

Latest re born project a Nucast Sentinel railcar. "Hope" was the last Sentinel to be used by the LNER in the North East lasting to 02/1948 the lettering for the name is on the relevant HMRS sheet and therefore a ideal candidate for my period of modelling.

file.php?id=53993

The paint had yellowed badly and I had used the wrong name for the type of Railcar modelled by Nucast. Model was stripped and rebuilt using low melt solder . In the above photo the line between the two body colours needs final fettling and the serial no decal applied.

An attempt to motorise with a Tenshodo about 20 years ago was a total failure, I tried to use the kits original method of bogie fixing into the roof area which resulted in the Tenshodo fitted with 10.5 mm wheels in going nowhere and stripped the gears after about a inch of movement.

I have now rewheeled a new Tenshodo Spud to 12mm using Black Beetle wheels which has greatly improved the drive for this heavyweight model . The body and roof weigh in at 450 gms as its all whitemetal. I removed the centre section of the floor replacing with plastikard and ground the interior of the roof away as much as viable. this removed about 60 gms of weight. I have added MJT vac cylinders and levers as the kits ones where just lumps of metal and a better detailed MJT dynamo

file.php?id=53994

I have will be mounting the spud using the bracket supplied with the spud. A trial run gave excellent running icon_thumbsup2.gif I am using a 8BA bolt and nut to locate to floor. Not fixed to bolt in photo below. Bogie sides from kit were Araldited to the bracket supplied with the Tenshodo bogie.

file.php?id=53995

Once I am happy with paint finish it will get a coat of varnish. Then new glazing including a representation of curtains as the original glazing was badly discoloured , a few passengers and a driver then fix the roof down including the chimney and a new whistle . I have scratchbuilt new side steps using spare pieces of brass etch as the originals are dire lumps of whitemetal to complete the model in due course.

Mick

??? posted on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:40 pm

The steps for the bogie section are in wire as they appear thinner than the passenger area . I can bend them out if needed.

I agree re the name all the pictures I have seen are of multiple sections names e.g Flower of Yarrow , which are definatly smaller. I have not seen a picture of a railcar with a one word name. 3mm ?? didnt know they existed have you by any chance a 3mm Hope x 2 I could buy??

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:08 pm

Hi

Jwealleans has kindly sent a photo of Hope which shows a 12 vertical bar on the window. He suggested a using a railing etch for the bars icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif . As the window is 14mm wide that will be as realistic as I can get!! Waiting for it to arrive at the moment.

The photo has also confirmed that the HMRS decal is oversize. I am hoping to get another version at the moment. I have painted a new set of glazing with curtains for the sides so not the model is not far from completion.

I would love to see pictures of your Clayton etc if available

thanks for the help

Mick

??? posted on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Sentinel Railcar now finished I have completed with TT Gauge Name decals from Ripper they are just the right size much smaller than the 4mm version I used in the earlier photograph during the build. Also thanks for the advice on detailing the Railcar. many thanks icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif

file.php?id=61314

file.php?id=61315

file.php?id=61316

file.php?id=61317

A couple of Shire Scenes Horse and Carriages

file.php?id=61318

Lastly a Townstreet NER Signal box nearly finished just stairs and remainder of windows to add. The brickwork is much darker in real life than in the photos.

file.php?id=61319

file.php?id=61320

file.php?id=61321

Mick

??? posted on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi

Easy build its more of a painting exercise. The only minor problem I had was a poor fitting roof all that needed was some filing to fit. I have finished it today will post another picture tomorrow.

Mick

??? posted on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:03 am

Signalbox completed just needs a nameplate once I have decided on a name for my layout

file.php?id=61619

file.php?id=61620

Mick

??? posted on Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi

Just one old fashioned grain of wheat type bulb , quite pleased how its turned out.

Mick

??? posted on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi Jonathan

I used a Mainly Trains Railing etch on the Sentinel for the window bars. I also considered a Black Beetle as a powerplant. They are all rather expensive!!!!

I still have some doubts about the longevity of the Tenshodo, so I have made the coaling hatch directly above the screw fitting ( quite handy!!) , a lightly glued fit in case I have to replace/repair it in due course. Touch wood its still going today!!

For the Elephant Truck I used NER Crimson Lake I decided as it was painted in 1925 (paint code is in original photo) and that surplus paint was being used up. Hence not in Teak colour, it makes a change from the others I have. I was'nt able to confirm the actual colour in the original photo and in my opinion it was too dark for the LNER Teak shade.

I have the article you mentioned re Russet Brown I suppose that would be similar to LNER Teak colour at a guess?? I also vaguely remember a Rover 3500 colour called Tobacco from the 1970's which would again be similar colour??.

cheers Mick

by micklner

??? posted on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Townstreet house in which I used up the Mainly Trains etch for the railings I first used during the Sentinel build pictured above. I also added Wills paving for the front garden which will be buried level on my ongoing layout.

file.php?id=65569

Arrived this week is the PDK Thompson Great Northern A1/1 something i have been looking forward to for quite a while icon_drool.gif icon_drool.gif icon_drool.gif icon_drool.gif

As you can see etches appear to be ok. Some of the whitemetal parts are fairly poorly detailed. Fortunatley I have some spare lost wax brass parts to replace them in due course. She will have a Mashima , High Level Gearbox, Romford/Gibson wheels and will be finished in Royal Blue with Red Lining as per first rebuild from the short cab version.

I have obtained the Model Railway Illustrated magazine covering Tony Wrights build of the Crownline version which is very similar to the PDK version. The resin boiler is now much improved no blow holes and very fine boiler bands. The banjo dome is still far too small ( confirmed on the Isinglass drawing) and it appears the Cartazzi castings are way to big time will tell on them.

file.php?id=65570

Mick

??? posted on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi

Yes Prussian Blue, Royal Blue, GER Blue ,Precision call it LNER Experimental Dark Blue!! or whatever its called !! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Mick

??? posted on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:04 pm

Progress photos.

A novel idea for forming the footplate as you can see its shaped up well . The former is removed once everything is soldered up square

file.php?id=67834

Due to the large amount of brass my soldering iron strugled to heat up the joints. I tacked the seams and then used my backup Gas Barbeque lighter for the extra heat required. I use a refillable version so very economical icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif

file.php?id=67835

file.php?id=67836

Chassis fold up with slot frames all gone together without any major problems. There is a small gap at the front of the frame behind the bufferbeam when placed against the footplate this I will fill with scrap etch. I have added rear draincocks below the rear steps using brass wire . Disapointed they have not etched springs for the drivers. I have now established the Cylinders are sitting to high on the frames, easy fix just a bit of filing to lower them.

file.php?id=67837

Cylinder uses a outer etched wrapper , materials quite soft easy to bend to shape

file.php?id=67838

Front bogie I have added Archer rivet transfers and added a couple of holes not on the etch plus some pads from whitemetal sprue .Kit misses quite a bit of small detail none of the very obvious rivets on the main frames in front of the cylinders either

file.php?id=67839

I have pinched De Selby's icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif idea used on his A2/1 thread for making a generator for the bogie boss. Very simple to make using a filed down pinpoint axle filed down and washers and a spare coupling etch. The inner washer is loose and will spin around the axle when moving. The drive arm is fixed as shown.

file.php?id=67840

Mick

??? posted on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:28 pm

Footplate cleaned up today.

I have also since the photos added 1.5mm to front of frames , lowered the area for the cylinders by 2mm as they fouled the valance when placed together. Smokebox saddle and Valve Chest added to the footplate and lastly soldered the cab sides together which are made in two pieces and have very good detail icon_thumbsup2.gif

file.php?id=68037

file.php?id=68036

Awaiting a motor and some other bits at the moment ,so will probably not do much more until they arrive ,to ensure clearances are ok.

Mick

??? posted on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi

It will be Royal Blue it had this colour from 1945 in short cab/no smoke deflectors and "normal" cab form /with smoke deflectors until it went into Apple Green in May 1947. In Blue it can modelled as 4470 with NE on tender or 113 with LNER on tender.

Mine will be 4470/NE as I have a excellent photo in East Coast Pacifics at Work by Peter Tatlow which even shows the lining outline!!

cheers Mick

??? posted on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi Simerski

Apple Green till 01/1950

BR Blue till 08/1952

BR Green till demise

info RCTS Vol 2A

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:40 pm

Progress so far. As you can see small gaps at front of frame have been filled in and cylinders are sitting nicely under the valance. Cab is held in place with Blutack in the picture.

file.php?id=68185

file.php?id=68186

There is a very long etched smokebox to be completed in due which will pull the boiler up higher. I have invested in the Isinglass drawing which is a must for this kit as there are no marks for the small parts positions etc. Everything is spot on so far when compared with the drawing.

I have contacted PDK re the very minor problems with the kit so far.Response from them is excellent and recomended icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif nice to record their top service

Mick

??? posted on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:25 am

Hi Rob

Support edge was cut through approx every third/ fourth slot and gently broken away. Any resultant slight deformation of the valance was straightened with smooth face pliers, it only happened in a couple of places.

Easy clean up with a swissfiles the brass is soft the soldered joint makes it strong and rigid for filing . File so the teeth/tabs just start to disapear constantly checking the valance edge all the time as it would be easy to go too far!!

Mick

??? posted on Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Latest pictures ,

Havent done that much this week as have been fighting with wiring on my new layout for most of this week. I have rolled the smokebox and cab roof and the cab is fitted to the footplate.Roof was fun as they are no locators to assist with placing .Smokebox door casting was slightly too large and the shoulder need some filing for it to fit in the smokebox.

file.php?id=70002

file.php?id=70003

file.php?id=70005

I have also started the tender which is at the "skeleton" stage all a good fit so far. The kit comes with overlays for the sides and end. Never built one like this before so I will be taking it slowly!!

file.php?id=70006

Lastly a recent build using Hornby Skaledale Coal drop which I have extended at one end and added the stairs and repainted. You can just see the wood ramp which will bring the track upto the drop in due course.

file.php?id=70007

Mick

??? posted on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:45 pm

"I'm not familiar with the final A1/1 cab, but I assume you are correct in having the sides flat (A4 style) rather than with the turned in rear edges of the original Gresley pacifics. It looked wrong at first to my eye, expecting to see the usual Gresley non-streamlined pacific cab."

Cab and tender sides are flat , you expected Thommo to keep a Gresley feature !!! icon_lol.gif

"Does that smokebox bottom slope downwards from rear to front or is it funny lighting and perspective in latest 1.jpg?"

The boiler is not fixed in the pictures , there is a bit of flex in the footplate. When they are held together tight all is level . I will be building the chassis first before fixing the boiler to ensure motor clearance.

Re the Tender I will ensure that there are no highspots, good point. icon_thumbsup2.gif

cheers Mick

by micklner

??? posted on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi

Horsetan is correct it is a OO fold up frame with "dog bone" swing system. Nothing is provide for other scales at all!!

I think most of the kit is based on the old Crownline kit from 1996. I have a copy of Model railways Illustrated from Oct 1996 where Tony Wright built the Crownline version.

The chassis has been redrawn as there are differences, it now has a etched cylinders and other parts like the Cartazzi truck bogie wheel carrier is also now etched.

It carries on including some of the items criticised by Tony Wright such as wrong handrail knobs supplied as too long, Banjo Dome too small and whitemetal vacumn pipes. The etches so far are excellent , but it is let down by the whitemetal castings so far some oversize or just poorly detailed/made.

Does anyone know the layout of the White discs as used when built? I have a photo where it look like normal lamp irons , electric lights and discs on another set of irons behind the electric lights ??? Also did it carry white discs on the tender as well?? None of my limited sources cover this

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi

Its Paul Hill at PDK I have been liaseing with him re this build.

Loco and tender together for first time . Tender is as far as intend to solder the remainder of detail will be superglued thereon or araldite. Brake gear will be soldered after seperate chassis is painted and wheels fitted.

Identified a hiccup with the Cab as made there are multiple rivets at the base and leading edge. Fortunatley I had my suspicions and they are totally wrong as Great Northern didnt have any other than four at the top corner leading edges. Very glad I had concentrated on the tender!! A bit of work with a needle file and i have managed to remove the rivets without unsoldering the cab.

file.php?id=72403

file.php?id=72404

file.php?id=72405

Chassis almost complete , however I am not happy at the abscence of Driver Springs and await a etch from 247 Developments once fitted it will be painted and built up, as you can see multiple Archer transfer rivets applied. All fitted well, however as designed the Front and Rear Valve Guides are made to fit flush with side of the cylinders which is wrong as they were set it from the edge of the cylinder block. I have confirmed with PDK this done to allow space for the valve gear. In view of this I have just moved the front pair inwards. This looks much better as they are far more visible .

The Cartazzi casting had some poor detail and I have added brass rods to either side of the spring and also since the picture brass straps for the Springs.

You can also see the add on pieces I added to the front of the chassis where it is made to short.

file.php?id=72406

Happy Easter

Mick

??? posted on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:29 pm

Detail parts added and now ready for priming.

None of the detail was supplied in the kit. I have had to source/create Electric Lighting, Water Scoop (not fitted in pictures) , Brake/ Scoop handles replaced. Overflow pipes added, rivet strip for the steps and below the tank, correct hinge straps for the Water filler, bead added to top front of the tender, lamp irons , guard irons, Vacumn / heating pipes and Gibson Handrail knobs and this is a just released kit icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif icon_wow.gif

file.php?id=73406

file.php?id=73408

file.php?id=73409

file.php?id=73410

Another design glitch found. As you can see the mounting holes for the tender chassis are directly in line with the brake rods icon_grumpy.gif icon_grumpy.gif . The only thing I could do is cut the lower brake linkage to access the screws and to allow the chassis to sit flat on the tender body, far to late to move the mounting holes. As far as I know the tender has been available for quite a while ?? as its the same is used on their other LNER Pacifics ??, very disapointing this has not been re designed by now. I just hope I can manage to get nuts onto the screws once painted, otherwise it will have to be glued on in due course.

file.php?id=73411

Mick

??? posted on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Coachmann wrote:

As you can see the mounting holes for the tender chassis are directly in line with the brake rods

Innit annoying! I remember when bogie mounting holes on 6-wheel bogies were directly under the middle axle.

it sure is when as you can see there is oceans of room either side for the mounting screws icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif

??? posted on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:32 pm

[

The rear coal plate is too far back and the water filler and scoop mechanism cover look nothing like it should. The front coal plate looks to be devoid of detail too.

Morgan

Morgan.

Not sure what you mean ?? The rear coal plate is dead on on the Isinglass drawing . What else should the scoop mechanism have ? I presume you mean the dome on the top of the tender? I have built the front plate as per the drawing as well. Have I have missed something?

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Fri Apr 17' date=' 2009 7:07 pm [/color']

ok e do key, wouldnt know one of a Director tender from the other , more of a NER modeller icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Mick icon_smile.gif

??? posted on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:31 am

Morgan

No problem, glad the Backhead is useable. Look forward to seeing it in situ.

Mick

??? posted on Fri May 15, 2009 7:54 pm

Further progress

Chassis went together well with no binding. I used some Roxey Moulding etches for the Loco Springs a small detail but worth adding. I have changed the Radius Rod for a straight Jamieson version. PDK provide something that looks like two Coke bottle end to end most bizarre when the protype is straight!!

The tender is painted Royal Blue/Black must try using the flash next time icon_winker.gif

file.php?id=79415

file.php?id=79416

file.php?id=79418

file.php?id=79417

Mick

??? posted on Sun May 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi

All the pictures have disapeared ?? It will have the 247 straight version which is the correct size. Try Modelmaster (their straight version is tooo small) or Fox transfers. Are you building the PDK version??

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Tue May 26, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi

Have you tried ??

http://www.kingscrossplates.da.ru/

He has Great Northern listed with crest. Its a excel sheet listing and a bit confusing!! I suggest a phone call to confirm

Mick

by micklner

??? posted on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi

I have added the following parts

Bradwell

Flaman Bracket (now straightened), Electric Lights ,Snifter valve

Mainly Trains

Smokebox Handle

Lost wax Vacumn Pipe

Scratch

Superheater Header and surround (supplied too small), Rear footplate steps, Archers rivets, x parts to sandbox fillers, brackets to Smoke Deflectors at top which gives them more strength as well,

I will add the Lubricators once to all is painted to the offside of the footplate. Backhead also to be painted and added afterwards with a crew, floor and seats

Now ready for Primer

file.php?id=82934

file.php?id=82935

file.php?id=82936

file.php?id=82937

I have also made a start on lining the tender which is Blue and not as dirty as the picture suggests icon_winker.gif

Mick

file.php?id=82938

??? posted on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:34 pm

Loco is now in Black pending a lot of masking for the Blue Boiler/Cab coat.

I have also removed the Modelmaster lining for the tender as too bright and wide. I have now restarted with HMRS much finer LNER Red Lining but a bit opaque!!

This loco will have the Straight name plate as pre BR

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Now painted using a very shiny !! Halfords VW Marine Blue and Matt Black. I will leave for a few days to allow paint to harden prior to lining.

Does anyone know the best way to remove HMRS excess glue from their lining sheets they are a nightmare!!. I have cut the sheet as close as possible to the decal but i am still getting excess glue on the paint

file.php?id=84729

file.php?id=84730

Backhead with correct scratch ex GCR type regulator handle made from brass rod hammered flat, new etched dials and handwheels. PDK supply the standard double ended regulator with the kit.

file.php?id=84731

Mick

??? posted on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:52 pm

jwealleans wrote:

Does look very shiny, Mick as you say. I can't bring myself to like it but you should be pleased with the build.

HMRS excess glue from their lining sheets

I don't seem to get much of that, but I tend to leave it to dry then pick it off with a cocktail stick.

For some reason my camera doesnt pick up the Blue very well. The shine wont be a problem after a coat of Satin Varnish in due course.

Dont like her !!!!!!!!! icon_winker.gif icon_winker.gif unbelievable , she has many unique designs which no other LNER Pacific inc other Thompson Pacifics. For all the hype abuse etc she was more powerful than a single chimney A4 .

Thompson however didnt do himself any favours with the loco he chose to rebuild !!

thanks for the tip re the lining decals. I never had this problem on the old HMRS/PC sheets , shame they arent as good nowdays

Mick icon_thumbsup2.gif

??? posted on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:23 pm

Coach

I have enough trouble lining up the decals !!!!

I tried a Bow Pen total nightmare couldnt get any flow.???

Bought a Easi Liner pen very easy to use however so far the supposed 0.25mm nib produces a lovely 0.5mm line icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif that cost with the other bits over ?‚??50 , now do I consider a Bob Moore version ??? at over another ?‚??60 no thanks not at the moment !!!!

Another update

This the last loco I intend building for a while. I have a number with Anchoridge motors to replace ( so far V2 ,WD 2-8-0 Austerity, N8 ,G5 , D20 & J37ECM Buhler motor this one died after 3 laps !!)they are all in the region of 20 years old and have been in storage for that time. Some I have shown on here already. I am disapointed that they are all failing with little use. Therefore more than enough expense for the foresable future.

While I am on failing motors , guess what !! My very heavy Nu Cast Sentinel Railcar Tenshodo Motor Bogie I replaced for the second time lasted about twenty minutes before yet again striping a gear (page 11) . I replaced the gear still totally useless!! Replaced with a Black Beetle total transformation icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif now runs well.

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi

I have now won a Bob Moore version for roughly half price and await its arrival!!

Tender is painted and varnished using the Games Workshop version for the first time I have found it to be excellent.

BUT the HMRS lining sheet has been a total pain excess glue outside the decal edge and tiny creases where the glue should be!! . A lot of the problem is because its the very thin red lining the black/white is wider and has more grip and lays down better.

The creases are showing under the satin varnish slightly. I have rub down with fine wet/dry and nearly there .However not particularly happy with it.

I will await the Bob Moore and see how i get on icon_what.gif icon_what.gif the tender maybe stripped and re done in due course. A lot easier to do than the loco!!

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:21 pm

Jonathan

You must be very lucky!! as I have had the same problems on various makes of enamel paints as well as acrylic. I cant see how paint creates gloopy glue and poor adhesion at the same time!! The paint is always gloss finish.

Re the LNER list I am glad that I am not the only one with this problem, at least it shows its not just me. He also commented on how you can move the decal around under the varnish which is correct , try it on small wagon numbering/lettering

cheers

Mick

??? posted on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Great Northern finished !!!!!! other than a crew and seats in the cab, I will order some from Dart Castings when they are trading again. Finished in Games Workshop Satin Varnish which is excellent and the best I have used so far on my models.

Remainder of loco went together well I had scratch built the Reversing Rod as the one supplied is a whitemetal lump not even close to the prototype. Mechanical Lubricators from the spare box I doubt if they had shiny brass handles theron but it gives some more variation of colour and she is ex works!!

I lined the Loco in a combination of HMRS Lining cut as close to the lining as possible this cured 95% of the excess glue problem I had with the Tender and my Bob Moore Pen which once you get the paint flowing is easy to use.

Overall verdict on my first PDK kit is that I am a bit disapointed , there are a number of annoying errors in dimensions and I have got the imprsession that the whole thing is a "Rush" job with poor planning and research. As this is the replacement /follow onfor the Crownline version its a big surprise. I have seen pictures of the Crownline version and it does not have some of the errors on this kit icon_what.gif icon_what.gif . I have had to make a few replacement parts as result which were not hard to do, just unexpected on a new release kit.

She can just about manage 36 inch curves and is running well !!

file.php?id=90026

file.php?id=90021

file.php?id=90022

file.php?id=90023

On the Ashpit on Helensdale

file.php?id=90024

Next up will probably be a LNER TPO

Mick

??? posted on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi

36 inch radius is fairly gentle curve, get a tape measure fix to 36 inch/ 3foot sweep it around from a fixed point and that will give you a idea of the curve.

Re the "B1" Cab. I presume you mean the awful one when first rebuilt ?? it was abandoned after about 3 months of use in traffic

cheers

Mick

by micklner

??? posted on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies

Great Northern as asked went into Apple Green prior to BR days.

I havent got a A2/2 eventually it will be one as Wolf of Badenoch ( sorry if mispelt) probably a DJH version after my earlier comments about PDK models. I have a Nu Cast A2/1 which is a early build on this thread Duke of Rothsay in plain Black and a 6 wheel tender.

I am tidying up DJH A2 A. H Peppercorn 525 in Apple Green at the mo a 20 year old build which has been storage for almost as long I will post a picture when finished.

Mick

??? posted on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:29 pm

Tidied up A2 the Tender Red lining will be redone in due course.

file.php?id=91543

file.php?id=91544

file.php?id=91545

Mick

??? posted on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:37 pm

Next lot of pictures as my connection keeps crashing on RM Web icon_what.gif icon_what.gif

I have now started a total rebuild on a further "old" loco from the few I have with dead motors

This is a NU Cast LNER G5 sold as a conversion kit using a Hornby chassis for the N8 N9 N10 0-6-2 Locos. It was a poor build and has been stripped to be built as a N9 Goods engine. Does anyone have a pictures of N9 as they are a bit elusive icon_what.gif icon_what.gif

I have purchased a London Road Models chassis (thanks LNWR Modeller) and as you can see it is a vast improvement on the first chassis. It will have a Mashima High Level Box and Romford Drivers.

file.php?id=91548

file.php?id=91549

Mick

??? posted on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:38 pm

The N9 ready for primer. I have added a new cab floor to allow the LRM chassis to fit. Brassmaster etches for the front valve gear .

file.php?id=96813

file.php?id=96814

I have started to rebuild my K's Y8 a new chassis replaces the brass slabside K's version.

file.php?id=96818

file.php?id=96817

file.php?id=96815

I have used a Comet SR Terrier chassis as a base (thanks for suggestion from Earlswood Nob) removed the rear section, added strip to top edge as axle holes are too low, reshaped ends , added pipes and spacers to allow it to fit the K's body.

It will have a High Level Humpshunter 108.1 ratio box and a Mashima 1015. I have managed to save the K's wheels for reuse. I will add brakegear and rodding using Mainly Trains etches .

Mick

??? posted on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:51 pm

Y8 ready for paint. A bit of filler and filing required to squeeze the body on the new chassis!!

file.php?id=99800

file.php?id=99802

file.php?id=99803

file.php?id=99805

N9 now painted , just made a start on cab interior (roof not fixed on) and bufferbeams

file.php?id=99806

file.php?id=99808

Lastly a DJH Class O7/ WD another remotor job this time it didnt need a repaint as well !!!!

file.php?id=99809

??? posted on Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm [/color]

Both now finished and running well on Helensdale. The Y8 has a 108.1 gearbox and runs at about 5mph flat out.

file.php?id=104272

file.php?id=104273

Mick

I will use my new thread LNER Models for future postings

Mick

Archived