Mk1 1957 Prototypes

Thanks for the replys to my question about the interiors. I have now painted mine as Mark suggested - also ordered the Timereel DVD. Mike your interior photo is great, had a look at your Flickr site , the pic with the roof detail will come in handy as well,  SVR have done a nice job on that coach. 

Steve.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello,

I thought I’d reawaken this thread to pose a question about Doncaster prototype SK number E25457 which was used on the White Rose from 1959 through to the early 1960s. In particular I want to model it during the period when ‘DELTIC’ was working on the train. Does anyone know of a kit for this coach or have any suggestions on how to model it. It had seven compartments rather than the eight on a normal SK and a toilet at each end. It’s frustratingly similar to a standard FK, but has a central door on the compartment side.

Regards

Andy 

Hi Andy,

I'm pleased to see my old thread revived, looks like some of the first photographs need replacing, lost when the Photobucket rules changed.

Since i've switched i.d. from "Brian Kirby" to "Kirby Uncoupler", again brought on by the recent RMweb changes, I probably can't swap the piccies on this original BK thread now? I never set out to model all the 1957 prototypes, it was kick-started by acquiring the various Southern Pride offerings, some of which were supplied printed, and some as etched kits, so far i've concentrated on the ones that migrated to the Western Region in later years. Having said that, i've also got SP's Craven Second and two Metro-Cammells to build, for use in more northern lines, like 25457. If I wanted to model the latter, and as you've asked, I think i'd convert a kit or RTR for a Diag.73 FO to create the 7-compartment SK, the toilet side is pretty much correct already, the other side might require blanking off the two short windows, opposite the loos (compartment stock usually had blank panels here, but you never know with these 1957 beasts), but nothing too difficult. However, be aware that 25457 was built to a similar profile to the 1956 Swindon DMUs from the year before, with flat panels around the windows, and only a curved lower tumblehome, whereas regular Mk1 profile is a continuous curve from top to bottom. It's not that obvious, and only really shows from the ends and around the window frame sides, only old fusspots like me would be all that bothered. Hope this helps, good luck with the project.

Cheers, Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

Hi Andy,

I'm pleased to see my old thread revived, looks like some of the first photographs need replacing, lost when the Photobucket rules changed.

Since i've switched i.d. from "Brian Kirby" to "Kirby Uncoupler", again brought on by the recent RMweb changes, I probably can't swap the piccies on this original BK thread now? I never set out to model all the 1957 prototypes, it was kick-started by acquiring the various Southern Pride offerings, some of which were supplied printed, and some as etched kits, so far i've concentrated on the ones that migrated to the Western Region in later years. Having said that, i've also got SP's Craven Second and two Metro-Cammells to build, for use in more northern lines, like 25457. If I wanted to model the latter, and as you've asked, I think i'd convert a kit or RTR for a Diag.73 FO to create the 7-compartment SK, the toilet side is pretty much correct already, the other side might require blanking off the two short windows, opposite the loos (compartment stock usually had blank panels here, but you never know with these 1957 beasts), but nothing too difficult. However, be aware that 25457 was built to a similar profile to the 1956 Swindon DMUs from the year before, with flat panels around the windows, and only a curved lower tumblehome, whereas regular Mk1 profile is a continuous curve from top to bottom. It's not that obvious, and only really shows from the ends and around the window frame sides, only old fusspots like me would be all that bothered. Hope this helps, good luck with the project.

Cheers, Brian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the information above. I'd come to the conclusion that a MK1 FO was the best bet since I posted and I've started adapting the roof from a Replica FO (didn't want to chop up a £30+ Hornby coach!). I hadn't realised about the blanking off on the corridor side, but the Parkin book diagram suggest that you're right so I'll have go look at that. Thanks for the tip.

I also started with the Southern Pride offerings and have finished the FO E3084 - some photos are on my workbench thread here 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/&do=findComment&comment=3537503

I also have E3083 well on the way and the Cravens pair as kits but not yet started.

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I wasn't even aware of these prototypes until I came across some pics on Flickr yesterday and although it's not obvious on these picture, Brian's model shows that they also had venetian blinds fitted like the MK2 Pullmans.

MK1 Cravens W3082 at Litchurch Lane 1972

c.1972 - Litchurch Lane, Derby. c.1972 - Litchurch Lane, Derby.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I wasn't even aware of these prototypes until I came across some pics on Flickr yesterday and although it's not obvious on these picture, Brian's model shows that they also had venetian blinds fitted like the MK2 Pullmans.

MK1 Cravens W3082 at Litchurch Lane 1972

c.1972 - Litchurch Lane, Derby.

That's an exceptionally neat condemned marking.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I never realised there was this thread.

I am in the process of making the Cravens second open and the Doncaster second corridor. I my research I found out the Doncaster coaches didn't have the Mk1 continuous curve profile but one more akin to a Thompson coach.

The Cravens is being made from a Tri-ang sleeper coach.

009.jpg.4005875f8962aa7d3951ad8e2b6ccac7.jpg

The Doncaster coach has scratchbuilt sides.

010.jpg.90b1ffa201c78bbed1260e5f39097ac2.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I never realised there was this thread.

I am in the process of making the Cravens second open and the Doncaster second corridor. I my research I found out the Doncaster coaches didn't have the Mk1 continuous curve profile but one more akin to a Thompson coach.

The Cravens is being made from a Tri-ang sleeper coach.

009.jpg.4005875f8962aa7d3951ad8e2b6ccac7.jpg

The Doncaster coach has scratchbuilt sides.

010.jpg.90b1ffa201c78bbed1260e5f39097ac2.jpg

The Cravens prototypes also didn't have a continuous body-side curve, but were flattened around the window area.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2010 at 20:58, hmrspaul said:

Photos of W3083 on the SVR but in original late BR condition, sorry doesnt help with seating. Have you tried BRCoachingStock@yahoogroups.com they know masses about Mark 1s.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmark1/h3131aefa#h3131aefa

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmark1/h3131aefa#h399f8444

Regards

Paul Bartlett

Interior of E3083, as running in October 2021.

E3083_interior

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Hi there, I’m a set designer and came across this thread as I’m looking for some information. Would anyone be able to help me with some information of the window dimensions for a full size MK1 Craven prototype W3082? I’m looking for the dimensions of the double windows on the images attached. Any help would be much appreciated! 

0C5EB45A-0C01-47DF-A763-125993F54E79.jpeg

4620E2B6-FD0E-43CA-A37F-A6AB9A966ABF.jpeg