Glenuig

sixteen 12by 10s

I think that this looks great! Very interesting, but still relatively simple. Out of interest, what did you use to get the distressed look to the tube on the rusty tank? Is it rolled up paper?

Chris

Hi

Thanks for all you kind comments and it seems i have a lot of questions to answer.

First of all. Mark, Mr Tatty

The back scene. I must admit i had some help on the old forum from Chris Nevard and Russ,Mines a pint.

I started of by taking a set of interlocking photos from the chosen location, in this case just outside the village of Glenuig. You need to get an average exposure, then lock it for the whole set of photos, five in all. 

I then used a program supplied with my Cannon camera called Photo stitch. This program automatically aligns the photos and merges them together to form a panoramic scene. After this the file was opened in Photo shop, in the zones where the stitching had taken place, the sky (or to the far extreme right, Skye (get the map book out)) needed blending in.When i was happy i then burnt the file onto a disk as a jpeg and off to the printers. The most difficult part was the 1000 mile round trip to get the shots in the first place!

Mark

MRDBLUE17

Coming soon, “Stirring in the Glen†a film of miniature Sulzers, and may be an English Electric loco. Exhibitions , well i have the first confirmed booking,and i will be attending my hometown show next year, Stourbridge on the 9th and 10th of April.

Chris

The “wreck†took its inspiration from one i found on my travels on the isle of Harris.It is made from plasticard and detailed with Mainly Trains etched rivet strip. The paint finish, started of with an overall coating of rusty color enamel, followed with dry brushing, and dabbing on muddy paint mixed with talc to get a textured finish.

Hope all this helps

Gary

The Wreck

post-7480-127340191901.jpg

• Like 1

Hi folks

I am off on my travels again on Saturday, off to the Western Highlands and the outer Hebrides, were mobile phone signals cannot reach. (yippy)

If any Scottish modellers need photographs of locations on the West Highland line (including the extension to Mallaig) or the Oban, Calendar line please let me know before Friday (14/05/2010) and I will see what I can do time, and the lady permitting.

See you all soon, and I will try not to litter Rmweb with too many Cal Mac ferry photos on my return.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gary,

Looking very good indeed. The coastal scene looks great- also like your rusting 'wreck', something often seen on the tidal rivers, but rarely modelled well. The backscene helps to blend everything together nicely.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks

The Glen is now in the advanced stages now with only scenic detailing and a few bits of stock to sort out.

I have got one big decision to make, my trains have no where to run too and from, beyond the hole in the back scene, the rest of the world dose not exist, Ok i need a fiddle yard.

Over the years i have used i think every variation possible except for cassettes, they all have there good and bad points. I have found that if any damage is to be done to the stock it is invariably when handling it.

So this leaves me with a few possibility.

A four road turn table (Denny style), these take up a lot of space but completely avoid handling.

The train formations change direction each time.

A four road traverser with loco release at each end. No handling but add on the length of a loco at each end.

Cassettes, no direct handling, danger of dropping a complete unit, storage of units, track alignment.

At the moment my preferences are ether a traverser or the cassettes.

Comments please

Gary

Hi Gary,

I guess out of all your options above I like the idea of the traverser with loco release - possibly at each end so that you can detach the loco of the departing train and then when it appears next will have a nother engine on the front - the one released can then be moved up to the other end ready to join the front of another train out of the yard. This would be hands free, avoids risk of dropping anything and adds operational variety and interest for yourself at home and for your exhibition outings.

Regards,

Mark

Hi folks

The Glen is now in the advanced stages now with only scenic detailing and a few bits of stock to sort out.

I have got one big decision to make, my trains have no where to run too and from, beyond the hole in the back scene, the rest of the world dose not exist, Ok i need a fiddle yard.

Over the years i have used i think every variation possible except for cassettes, they all have there good and bad points. I have found that if any damage is to be done to the stock it is invariably when handling it.

So this leaves me with a few possibility.

A four road turn table (Denny style), these take up a lot of space but completely avoid handling.

The train formations change direction each time.

A four road traverser with loco release at each end. No handling but add on the length of a loco at each end.

Cassettes, no direct handling, danger of dropping a complete unit, storage of units, track alignment.

At the moment my preferences are ether a traverser or the cassettes.

Comments please

Gary

Hi Gary,

I shall be watching this thread with interest - I too have a similar dilemma! Although I had a mind to go down the route of a "sliding traverser" you know the type that uses drawer runners. Anyone out there tried this?

Regards, Bill.

Hi all  

Bill, have not tried draw runners but i was thinking along the same lines, can't see why not. Since my last post i have been having a big think, and been measuring what will fit in the car. 

The layout was designed to fit on the back seat, 1050mm in total length. If i built a traverser with loco release the length would work out as follows. 970mm  3 coaches and a class 37 ( this is also the distance from the stop block to the starter signal) and 250mm each end for the release. This all adds up to 1470mm or no where for the passenger to sit in the car.

Now if i did a U turn (pardon the pun  :D ) and used a turn table fiddle yard, the deck could be removable, and the base made just longer than center line of the TT, so the longest piece of the yard for transport would be 970mm.With this in mind it looks like the turn table has it. The only worrying thing is the ability to drive a train of the end. On a previous layout i guarded against this, by having end protectors the were electrically interlocked with the track.I will give it to the weekend before i make the final decision.

Gary 

Hi all  

Bill, have not tried draw runners but i was thinking along the same lines, can't see why not. Since my last post i have been having a big think, and been measuring what will fit in the car. 

The layout was designed to fit on the back seat, 1050mm in total length. If i built a traverser with loco release the length would work out as follows. 970mm  3 coaches and a class 37 ( this is also the distance from the stop block to the starter signal) and 250mm each end for the release. This all adds up to 1470mm or no where for the passenger to sit in the car.

Now if i did a U turn (pardon the pun  :D ) and used a turn table fiddle yard, the deck could be removable, and the base made just longer than center line of the TT, so the longest piece of the yard for transport would be 970mm.With this in mind it looks like the turn table has it. The only worrying thing is the ability to drive a train of the end. On a previous layout i guarded against this, by having end protectors the were electrically interlocked with the track.I will give it to the weekend before i make the final decision.

Gary 

Who needs passengers? :P seriously, I too am working along the lines of 3 coaches and CL37 loco. With both boards 4' long and a fiddle yard to boot! I ain't takin' no passengers in my 207! ;)

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice to see this (and even RMWeb) after the move, yes last time we were up we decided it was time not to come back, living & working in Argyll now and apart from decent fish & chips, not missing Yorkshire!

Hope you do manage to get this out in public its definitley a cut above some of the stuff you see, the backscene and buildings that totally fix the location, whether or not rolling stock present, love it!

Hi Russ

Welcome back to cyber model land, glad that the interweb has reach the wilderness of Argyle.

Thanks for the comments, I have missed them over the last few months.

Nice to see this (and even RMWeb) after the move, yes last time we were up we decided it was time not to come back, living & working in Argyll now and apart from decent fish & chips, not missing Yorkshire!

Have you tried the ones from the chippy in George street Oban, take the wallet with you, but there good!.

Stuck at work at the moment, but will drop you a PM when I get home.

Gary

• 1 month later...

It has been a few weeks since I reported about my problem, but the shrink says I'm doing well..... up's, wrong forum

The last few entries I made were about the deliberation of what type of  fiddle yard to build.

In the end I decided on a “Denny†type full turntable.

Now at last I have a fully functional layout, time for a full test run. I had proposed to set it up in the front room, and the domestic authorities had not give me permission for this. Anyway, a railway modeling friend had offered the use of his garage, for a test exhibition, now I had a big debate, set up in the front room and suffer the consequences, or set up in my mates garage and have the p!** took out of me. So i booked a day off work and went ahead with the front room plan. When Mr Gary came home from work she was very pleased to see my creation in it's full glory.....The words were “ what's this bloody thing doing hereâ€, look at the mess on the carpet, what's happened to the curtains.....why aren't there any trains running. It has cost me, but with a bit of a demonstration, i am forgiven, with conditions, tidy of the yard, fix the fence, clean the car, what's cleaning the car?

Back to the modeling, i now have a long snagging list, but nothing major. A Bit of wiring in the fiddle yard to sort out., and a few problems with the Sprat and winkles, uncoupling automatically at random.While i had it set up i made a short video, it just needs editing and i will  post it for all to see.

Set up in the lounge

post-7480-127931205313.jpg

The completed fiddle yard

post-7480-127931212331.jpg

post-7480-12793121502.jpg

post-7480-127931220635.jpg

post-7480-127931227263.jpg

post-7480-127931234451.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

That is simply stunning the 6th picture just captures the moment I could almost hear the seagulls flying above there isnt much in that photo to say it's a model !!

It's definately a contender for photo of the week !!

I'll shall be hunting this layout down when it's on the exhibition circuit as you've just pulled me back towards doing a Scottish branch for my new project !!!!:crazy_mini:

Very good Gary, look forward to seeing it at Nottingham next year.

Curses for banking "Water of Life" for your distillery......................I was going to use that one sometime!

Hi again

Mark,

I will also look forward to seeing Glenuig at Nottingham, Unless you know something I don't. I have two bookings confirmed for very local shows so far, but not this one, unless there are two Glenuig's, I which case I wish I had modelled Ashburton!.

The water of life thing, I am sure that there are many other Gaelic phrases that could be used, just look at the labels on empty malt whisky bottles, I am sure that you will find something suitable eventually.

Very very very good. Well done thats a place I'd like to visit.

You don't fancy doing Workington show do you? Long way to come though!

Claggy

Claggy

I will consider any exhibition invites, so if you want to pass me the details, I will have a look, and see what I can do.

Cov guard

The seagulls, got some Dart castings ones, but I am having problems with getting them to fly! Being white metal there too heavy. On a previous layout, I had what is best described as a “motorized mobile†with seagulls hanging down on wires, shall I try this again?.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I have been watching your layout progress for a while now and I have got to say your latest photos are stunning!

May I ask how you weathered your locos? apologise if this has been said before.

All the best,

Georgie

Hi Gary,

That post was brilliant! I too am strictly banished to my train room for all railway modelling purposes great when she has the girls from work round as after pouring wine for them I get sent away to my room - brilliant! Those photos of yours are stunning so well worth getting it set up in there. And also nice to see you have picture of the week that one is just so realistic!

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

What a great layout - I can't believe I missed it on RMWeb 3 and this forum - thank god for the pic of the week, which led me to track this down!

Really like the simplicity, attention to detail and of course BR Blue! This is one of those layouts I could while away many hours in front of at an exhibition - unfortunately, geographically for me, there is little chance to see it, so more photos would be very welcome!

Thanks, Pete

Hi Gary,

Love the latest pics, especially the pic of the week, fully deserved.

Glenuig just oozes West Highland atmosphere. In such a relatively small space, I can't believe just how much atmosphere you have packed into the layout. The colouring, tones and weathering are all just superb. All capped off by the stunning distillery.

It would be great to see you and Glenuig at the Workington show!

Cheers,

Dave

Hi all

I leave the computer for one day and look what happens, pic of the week and in trouble with the missus again, this time for having the car boot full of bits off the real 50007 !.

Thanks for all your kind comments, i quite astounded by the amount of interest.

Georgie. I have not considered myself to be a weathering expert, and most of my techniques, are from the Martin Welsh “bible†along with a few that i have picked up from a military modeling friend. I have just received a Bachmann class 37, so, when i paint this one i will photograph the process and post it.

Ok Dave, it looks like Glenuig is going to Workington show by popular demand, don't know about Barcelona, don,t think it would comply with Ryanair's hand luggage restrictions, for now Pete, i had better get some more photos.

Gary