Glenuig

sixteen 12by 10s

Looking good Gary,

I was going to ask you about the picture of the rusted boiler from Harris.

Where about on Harris was this? It's not where the abondoned whaling station was, was it? I used to live on Harris and am trying to remember where that was.

cheers

Neil

...the rusted boiler from Harris? I'm pretty sure our bass player saw her for a while...

This layout really is one of the cream of the crop when it comes to ScR, and after all what better subject matter can there be, fantastic work, the coastscape (? new word) is some of the best around wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

don't know about Barcelona, don,t think it would comply with Ryanair's hand luggage restrictions, for now Pete, i had better get some more photos.

...there's always EasyJet Gary ;) Look forward to some more photos - Thanks - Pete

Hi again

Neil, know the place your thinking of on West loch Tarbert, but the wreck is actually here, Bayhead on the Isle of Scalpay East loch Tarbert. (look for the village on Google earth, and go to street view, and you can see it). I did not model it exactly on that wreck, it would had been too big, rather, based the concept of the wreck in the bay.

Pete

I don't like to admit it, but did i start someone of on a modeling excursion to Kyle with this photo  :lol: 

post-7480-127965987726.jpg 

More photos to follow.

Gary

• Like 1

Lovely piece of work, and captures the essence of the Highlands in a small area, but still gives an impression of spaciousness. A shining example of "how to do it" and surely an inspiration to others.

The Sprat & Winkles will need a bit of tweaking to get them working perfectly, based on my experiences with them, but once fettled should give you no troubles.

Richard

Smashing layout!

Well deserved pic of the week too!

Just love the whole feel of this layout......

you have captured the atmosphere of the Scottish branch really well.

Nice to see BR blue era is alive & well.

Particularly like the buildings at the rear right of the layout.

They look particularly convincing. :D

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Pete I don't like to admit it, but did i start someone of on a modeling excursion to Kyle with this photo  :lol: 

Gary - Your absolutely right - and I am glad you did - the power of a photo eh? - thanks - Pete

Hi all

I don't know if it's customary for the outgoing pic of the week owner to make a speech? But i will start a trend

“Friends, RM-Webers, Modellers, thank you for your advice and support, and may you all continue to bless this website with art crated by your own hand. May I take this opportunity, to wish you, the next holder of the honour, good luck.†I think that will do.

Seriously thank you all, my partner Mrs Gary “Janice†for putting up with me, and the Kingsford Modellers (and ex members of the long disbanded Stourbridge model railway club)  from who I have learnt the basics from.

I have been astounded by the response I have had on my layout, and would like to thank you all for your comments. It seems that half the forum is now a discussion on Scottish branch line layouts, and the other half of contributors, have learnt Gallic.

I was going to report on the final big scenic job, river and sea, complete with photos, but this has gone totally wrong. First I started on the river with a thick layer of acrylic varnish. This dried and cracked to a crazed pattern, I had taken some photos of this, and of my second attempt, but forgot to put a memory card in the camera!.  The second attempt appears to be going better, this time I have used PVA for the base coat.

Next big job, is the class 37, a split box one. At the moment I am considering 37027 in large logo, a few year or two, out of its time but I think I will get away with it.

Just for now some more photos, and Pete, i shall be hunting through my slides to find another that will send you running to buy some more boxfiles.  :D

Gary

post-7480-127999302634.jpg

post-7480-127999304242.jpg

post-7480-127999314894.jpg

post-7480-127999316914.jpg

• Like 6

It seems that half the forum is now a discussion on Scottish branch line layouts, and the other half of contributors, have learnt Gallic.

Maith thú! (That's well done to those who don't speak Gaelic!)

I watch your layout topic on this forum with interest and every photograph I see just makes me think I'll never get anywhere near the standard you have. Just remember the old Gaelic proverb where your locos are concerned .... Is fear rith maith ná drochsheasamh.

Keep up the good work - its a credit to you.

Rich

PS - The proverb in English means a good run is better than a bad stand!

PPS - When the sarcasm comes out and you want to look clever when you ain't ... always turn to Google! ;) How the hell did and does anyone speak Gaelic? Its a foreign language!

Mr Clifford Road, you have totally blown me away with your knowledge of the Gaelic language. I need more education in this ancient tong, i have learnt all i know of this from the labels of whiskey bottles, and think i need more material to study. I think a field trip to the Western Isles would also be a good idea (Skye, here we come six weeks on Saturday).

Slàn leat

Mr Clifford Road, you have totally blown me away with your knowledge of the Gaelic language. I need more education in this ancient tong, i have learnt all i know of this from the labels of whiskey bottles, and think i need more material to study. I think a field trip to the Western Isles would also be a good idea (Skye, here we come six weeks on Saturday).

Slàn leat

:) LOL! I wish i could take credit for it, but unfortunately not! ;) Seriously, your layout amazes me and I see something different everytime i look at the imagery. Well done on a superb piece of modelling and excellent photography as well! Enjoy the field trip! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sir, this layout is a cracker. You deserve huge credit and respect for your attention to detail and patient finishing touches.

For me, the trackwork is the absolute winner, and everything else falls wonderfully into place on and around it.cool.gif

Halò 

Thanks for the good words. Its been a few weeks since this topic reached the heights of page one, so i thought i would give you all an update.

Things have slowly been moving along, presentation, water and point rodding have been the latest items to receive attention. The later is driving me round the bend, i am using MSE part and Eileen's square wire, and the job seems to be dragging. I would advise anyone thinking of adding point rodding to do so before you ballast.

The presentation part of the job has involved getting th lighting right. I have used halogen spots and tungsten lamps, all rated at 12v, to fill in the dark areas an at the same time produce shadows.

I will follow up this post in the next few days with some photos.

Tapadh leat

Slàn leat

Things have slowly been moving along, presentation, water and point rodding have been the latest items to receive attention. The later is driving me round the bend, i am using MSE part and Eileen's square wire, and the job seems to be dragging. I would advise anyone thinking of adding point rodding to do so before you ballast.

I too tried working with square section rodding, firstly Plastistrip and then Eileen's wire, but gave up on that as too difficult, and laid the last bits with 36" brass wire, which was a lot easier, and to all intents un-noticeable when painted. Its a tedious job, but well worth persevering with.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

and Pete, i shall be hunting through my slides to find another that will send you running to buy some more boxfiles.  :D

Gary - Great photos - thanks for sharing - as for the boxfiles...I rather like the idea of Thurso in 7mm...not much of which will squeeze into them though!

Hi Gary,

The pictures taken in natural light look great.wink.gif I am with you on the point rodding, I started doing mine after ballasting, it's a right pain in the butt. I still have more to do but can't face it at the moment. It's definitely worth doing though. Look forwards to seeing your Large Logo 37 when its done.wink.gif

Cheers Peter.

No e in your whisky, please!

Cheers,

26power

Slàn leat

• Like 1

Point rodding …. ur..... yes.

The method I am now using, is to drill out the slots in the cast stools to about 0.6mm. I then drill a hole in the bottom to take a piece of 0.6mm wire about 7mm long, I use this, pushed into holes in the base board. The wire, is 0.5mm square, this is straitened by putting one end in the vice, running 2 meter of wire out, and then pulling at the other end with pliers and all my black country weight. I make my own pin wire like this, but sometimes I have to use a bit of heat to get it to straight.

Mr 26power, thank you for alerting me to my error. I can't apologize enough to the Scottish race, more education needed. I shall study a couple more bottles of the water of life. I have found that by mixing this method of studying the Gaelic language, with modelling, produces strait point rodding.

Pete

Is there such a thing as a 7mm, A0 size boxfile.

Thanks all

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Lights sound, action?.

First of all the point rodding job is over. Looking back it was as challenging as building the track. A bit more advise here, where the rodding passes under the rails, try using plastic strip or rod for that bit and avoid shorts.

As i said in an earlier post, i have been putting in some attention to the lighting. After a lot of experimentation, i am finally happy with the results. The lighting consist of a low pelmet, holding 3  dichroic MR11 20w spots and 3 ordinary lamps. The spots all face the same direction, to cast shadows and the ordinary 10W lamps soften the effect and fill in the dark areas. All the lighting is 12V supplied from a separate power supply.

Sound, all three of Glenuig's locos are sound fitted, i will post a more detailed description in the DCC sound section shortly. The 27 was my first conversion, and has proved to be excellent. The class 37 is a Bachmann factory fitted example, but i was unhappy with the sound, so i gave this the speaker in the fuel tank treatment.

Why then did i have a factory fitted one in the first place, well its a long story but in the end it has helped this appeal.

http://www.trainweb....und/bogies.html

Gary

Unpainted point rodding

post-7480-128302028408_thumb.jpg

Lighting rig (upside down)

post-7480-128302038161_thumb.jpg

Class 27 speaker arrangement

post-7480-12830204523_thumb.jpg

Class 37 after speaker mod and EM conversion.

post-7480-128302050789_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Great pictures Gary.

Is that a 40 x 20 speaker you have in the bottom of the 27? I wasn't sure there would be enough space so I started off with the standard 23 in the body. I might do what you've done there now I know there's enough room.

cheers

Neil

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Its been quite sometime since my last entry, a good holiday and playing with real trains, has slowed things down. Anyway, after a relaxing brake, which involved going to a place called “Glenuig†wherever that is, I am back at it.I think I said last time that I had a 37, well at long last she's out the paint shop, so a have a  snap BC, (before crap). The one I picked was 37027, Loch Eil, this was one of the first to receive the Eastfeild treatment and just fits in to the time base of the layout.

Gary

post-7480-016831600 1286633198_thumb.jpg

• Like 4