Glenuig

sixteen 12by 10s

Pete

Is there such a thing as a 7mm, A0 size boxfile.

Thanks all

Gary

If you do manage to find one, I think you will suddenly decide that it is a LOT cheaper to make your own! The prices of any that are bigger than A4 (when you can find them)are HORRENDOUS!

Terrific! It's almost a shame to make her dirty - will it be full on grime or just the roof etc?..

The questions a bit late, by the time I read it, I had already been busy with the paint. She just needs a bit of dry brushing and a coat of mat varnish now.

Gary

37027 waits for the next duty, while the storm clouds gather over Rum

post-7480-080580200 1286646836_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Gary,

I never tire from looking at your work, the way you have captured the atmosphere I can almost smell the damp sea air! That latest 37 really looks the part and I take it the previous photo wasn't any trickery and the car head light actually works? Very nice work indeed.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi folks

As thanks for all your kind comments.

Mark,

the headlight dose work, I have a series of photos to show how I did it, I will post them shortly. The lamps are turned out of clear plastic rod, I made 6 to get 2 on the locos, the others went ping, in to the depths of the workshop, never to be seen again.

Pete

I will get some more photos posted, I really must make an effort to post regular updates, and for Artizan, finish Glenuig the movie.

Off now, north to the Midland railway centre, to get my large bulk into dirty places on 50007.

Gary

Hi Gary

Great to see an update, and 027 looks great.

>>>The one I picked was 37027, Loch Eil, this was one of the first to receive the Eastfeild treatment and just fits in to the time base of the layout.

Done for the St Rollox open day IIRC back in 1981(ish) and origianlly looking like this

http://nigel-parker.fotopic.net/p62061534.html

http://jpgrailphotogallery.fotopic.net/p59028297.html

I think it was early (April time) 1985 that it got the "standard" large logo treatment.

Keep the updates coming, and congrats on a top quality layout.

Scott

I know you have posted how you have mixed up the lighting to get shadows etc but is the last shot of the 37 taken with the layout lighting? If so, then your setup works a treat. Love the moody effect it gives - much more realistic than a complete blast of bright light from above.

Hi again

Thank again all,I think this equates to “fan mailâ€. The photo was taken when I was messing around with the camera after taking photos of the weathering process, (I will post these in the next few week) The lighting effect is just produced by the layout lights, as described earlier on this thread, I just noticed how good it looked so posted it.

Just one more for good luck

Gary

post-7480-019182600 1287168286_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi folks

As thanks for all your kind comments.

Mark,

the headlight dose work, I have a series of photos to show how I did it, I will post them shortly.

Gary

More great photos Gary. Please keep them coming. Lovely atmosphere.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of fitting the headlight. I have a non-working one on 37043, so might try and do something with that (eventually!)

Cheers

Dave

Hi

Nice to hear from you Russ, lucky you, going up to Skye. I was there four weeks ago, and most of the time in a force 6 gale.

Now how-about this 37 outside the Talisker distillery, what can I do with photoshop?.The funny thing is, from what I remember, I sketched the original plan out for Glenuig, during a hang over after drinking too much of the produce of Talisker.

Dave

will sort out some photos of how I did the headlight in the next few days

Thanks all

Gary

Hi all

by popular demand, a few more 37 photos. Please ignore the bit under the bridge, where the creator of the landscape gave up on fishing bits of scenery in to tight spaces.

A few of you will notice, that if the signalman’s got a grump on, then the driver will be on a form one for not having the marker or the headlight on.

Yes, Mr  Wollaston blue, the layout will make an appearance at Stourbridge show, at the Bonded Warehouse, in 2011, looking forward to it, meanwhile more news on the layout will follow shortly.

Gary

post-7480-094342000 1288126478_thumb.jpg

post-7480-034354900 1288126500_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

As a fellow builder of Scottish layouts can I ask you a question about how you have fitted the snow ploughs ? I am about to fit the ploughs to a Heljan 26 but also want to fit kadees. Is it possible to fit both as if I am understand it correctly the Kadee uses the NEM box but so does the central part of the plough. Have you used Kadees ? If so how did you fit both ?

Many thanks in advance,

Nigel

Hi

I seam to remember answering this one on another thread some time ago. I actually use Sprat and winkle couplers, these only require a bar across the buffers on locos.

The prototype 37s, snow ploughs are hung on brackets from under the body, the centre one is hung from the buffer beam.

I can't see how you could use the pockets on the bogie and fix the ploughs to the body, so have you considered mounting them on the bogie, and missing the centre one off. I did have one or two Lima one's done this way and they worked ok.

Gary

• 1 month later...

Hi Rich

I was quite stunned when I noticed Glenuig had made it back on the first page, its now been 2 months or more since the last entry. Snow has not effected, the glen, more like sawdust. Glenuig lives in my cellar workshop, and I have been doing some work down there to do with home improvements, so the layout has been packed away.

I have been working on a smaller layout that can be packed away in seconds...

http://www.rmweb.co....20-welsh-slate/

And when it has been warm enough, I have had a play with Over Haddon

http://www.rmweb.co....36-over-haddon/

Now back to Glenuig

On November the first, we were blessed with a visit from Chris Nevard, who left with a memory card full of stunning photos. These should feature in the February (no153) addition of Model rail, so watch out for it.

Mean while Glenuig is booked for a few appearances

9-10/04/2011 Stoubridge, navigation trust, model railway exhibition, at the bonded warehouse.

Glenuig,s first show, and my home town gig.

2/07/2011 something to do with Rmweb!

27-28/08/2011 Railex NE

http://www.btmrs.co....ition-2011.html

Look forward to meeting any Rmwebers at these events

Gary