Glenuig

sixteen 12by 10s

A great little layout. My plans for Lochailort with a branch to Glenuig seem to have been pre-empted! but this is getting the West Coast atmosphere very well. The background of the islands is excellent.

Which font did you use to get the gaelic style of lettering?

Are you going to run a Jacobite Mk2 special?

Cheers

Martin

Hallo again all.

The fowl weather in his part of the world has meant that i have been confined to the workshop, the upshot of this is that the signal box is now complete and I am quite pleased with the result. The coloring was a bit of a problem, the early 80,s livery looks like an off yellow and aquamarine green, hope my mix of paint looks OK.

After my ? success with the box, i turned my attention to the quayside. At the far end, i wanted to create a small oil terminal.The static oil tanks are some old Ratio ones i had lying around,these have been weathered. The pump house (shed, lean too) is biased on one that i have seen up in the highlands. The pump has recently been refurbished and is painted in that metallic blue paint that every electrical engineer knows stays in a sticky condition for years!. To the side of this will stand a large corrugated iron shed,in the highlands corrugated iron is used for everything, and soon the rust takes over giving these structures modeling appeal. Fisherman's junk,clutter,scrap will be added shortly.

Once this area is finished, i had better bite the bullet and have a go at the station building, Arisaig again.? 

Martin, good luck with your project, Lochailort, is now nothing more than a buss shelter, so Lochailort junction dose have an appeal to it. I have quite a few photos taken at Glenfinann and Arisaig, i will post them in the gallery in the next few days, hope they will help.? 

I have no intension's of running the Jacobite, the steam service started in May 1984, and i have set the scene between 78 and 83, but maybe this could be stretched in the future. Sorry to disappoint you, but the back scene, is at present ???photoshoped??? this should change in the next few weeks.

The font should be down loadable from this link..

? http://www.dafont.com/aon-cari-celtic.font

post-7480-12622510076964_thumb.jpg

post-7480-12622510456782_thumb.jpg

post-7480-12622509800756_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo again all.

The fowl weather in his part of the world has meant that i have been confined to the workshop, the upshot of this is that the signal box is now complete and I am quite pleased with the result. The coloring was a bit of a problem, the early 80,s livery looks like an off yellow and aquamarine green, hope my mix of paint looks OK.

After my ??success with the box, i turned my attention to the quayside. At the far end, i wanted to create a small oil terminal.The static oil tanks are some old Ratio ones i had lying around,these have been weathered. The pump house (shed, lean too) is biased on one that i have seen up in the highlands. The pump has recently been refurbished and is painted in that metallic blue paint that every electrical engineer knows stays in a sticky condition for years!. To the side of this will stand a large corrugated iron shed,in the highlands corrugated iron is used for everything, and soon the rust takes over giving these structures modeling appeal. Fisherman's junk,clutter,scrap will be added shortly.

Once this area is finished, i had better bite the bullet and have a go at the station building, Arisaig again.??

Martin, good luck with your project, Lochailort, is now nothing more than a buss shelter, so Lochailort junction dose have an appeal to it. I have quite a few photos taken at Glenfinann and Arisaig, i will post them in the gallery in the next few days, hope they will help.??

I have no intension's of running the Jacobite, the steam service started in May 1984, and i have set the scene between 78 and 83, but maybe this could be stretched in the future. Sorry to disappoint you, but the back scene, is at present ???photoshoped??? this should change in the next few weeks.

The font should be down loadable from this link..

??http://www.dafont.com/aon-cari-celtic.font

post-7480-12622510076964_thumb.jpg

post-7480-12622510456782_thumb.jpg

post-7480-12622509800756_thumb.jpg

Hallo folks

Just at the end of my mammoth 23 day holiday, it is by far the longest time i have had off work in one go since i started in 1979. Well i have kept out of the way and hid down the cellar for most of it, the out come of which is that the layout is now at an advanced stage. One of the main reasons for its rapid build is that i am really enjoying this one. A new gauge for me EM, but i seam to have got my head round it.

The layout now has a third loco, a class 26, this is just a strait EM conversion using Bachmann coach wheels, with a few bits done cosmetically such as taking in the primary springs on the bogie frame. Take note Sprat and Winkle coupling users, if you have the buffer beam detail on diesel locos, set the coupling bar about 3mm in front of the buffer heads,this will eliminate the hooks catching in the pipework when propelling.

I am now at the stage of adding scenic detail and have one more structure to make the, station building., I will produce a scale drawing from the photos i have, and make a start shortly.

Signals are starting to appear, and i have had some help from the Permanent Way, Signalling &Infrastructure section of the forum (thanks Stationmaster). The starter is a Stevens lattice pattern with Westinghouse UQ arm, the ground signals will be the drop flap type. Watch this space for the home signal which will be the joker in the pack.

post-7480-12631507197989_thumb.jpg

post-7480-12631507327217_thumb.jpg

post-7480-12631507450208_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 2

Hi Gary,

I have just found a little time to catch up on your progress - you certainly have been very busy. I think your signal box looks brilliant totally captures the right look and the overall atmosphere on your layout is excellent with the subtle signs of rust and decay everywhere and the scenic setting! I like the addition of the oil depot and that black and white shot is so convincing as well.

Keep the updates coming.

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is what the post should have looked like before the server crash

Hi Gary,

I have just found a little time to catch up on your progress - you certainly have been very busy. I think your signal box looks brilliant totally captures the right look and the overall atmosphere on your layout is excellent with the subtle signs of rust and decay everywhere and the scenic setting! I like the addition of the oil depot and that black and white shot is so convincing as well.

Keep the updates coming.

Mark

Thanks Mark

My idea from the start was to create a rundown atmosphere. The setting of the early 1980's before the Chris Green years, and the publicity that Scotland's railways get now. It amazes me, while the corporate attitude was to let the system fall to pieces, the individuals working on the system tried to do the best they could to keep thing presentable.? 

I can remember a visit to the West Highland Line several years after radio signaling had been?

introduced, the platform signal boxes at Tydrum and Bridge of Orchy had long been out of use, but they still had polished levers and swept floors.

Back to the model. I now have a drawing for the station building. I have produced it from photos taken of Glenfinann and Arisaig. I have tried the foot print of this on the platform and to my relief it fits, just. West Highland Station buildings have a pagoda roof which protrudes out some 3'6" from the main building, and for a time the dimensions where worrying. Now all i have to do is build it, looking at the photos the bay windows and roof will be the demanding bit.

For now here's just a few photos and one for a bit of fun

Gary

post-7480-12644405440281_thumb.jpg

The last train of the day waits for the road

post-7480-12644406050846_thumb.jpg

Foot print of the station building

post-7480-1264440675303_thumb.jpg

site of the building with rum in the back ground? 

post-7480-12644407029594_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Excellent stuff! been wanting to view this thread since it came back up but the damn server outages have frustrated me every time!

site of the building with rum in the back ground????
excellent! :lol: :lol:

The atmosphere is really good - I like the station lamps they are just right, its all to easy to go down the rtr route for small detail like this. The little oil depot is a nice touch too.

I wonder how many modellers have 'overlooked' the insipid signal box colours in favour of something more palatable, but thats definitely how they were!

I'd put the back wall of station building right against the backscene (assuming the pencil line is the building outline) so it doesnt cast shadows, and it'd make the platform seem a bit more spacious, but then its not my layout :D

Hi Gary,

Glenuig really is coming along very nicely. I've been watching your thread with interest. Lovely atmosphere, that's what really stands out for me, apart from the superb modelling of course. You really have captured that West Highland feel through the buildings in particular. I'm especially looking forward to the backscene going in (I have a thing about backscenes. I think they can make so much difference to a layout).

Please keep posting and sharing!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

PS I'm not sure about that bottle of rum though. I think it looks a bit overscale. Might need to do something with that I think. biggrin.gif

????I have been waiting for a few days, to get at the computer while the website is up and running, now i can report on progress. I have taken the bull by the horns and started on the station building, and ????with three nights work, have completed one bay window. Photo to follow shortly.

Russ

The station will go right up to the backscene, but the design of west highland stations means the roof overhangs by about 14mm, leaving a gap between the back wall and the backscene. The station lamps are from the ones that stood at Mallaig during the late 1970's and 80', scratch built with brass tube the heads turned from clear plastic.

Dave

Thanks for the complements, i intend to get the backscene sorted out with next months trainset tokens, watch this space.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again all

At last, i have made the jump and started, (and almost finished) the station building. The bay windows have turned out to be the tricky bit requiring 50 separate pieces excluding the glazing bars each. The glazing bars are thin strips of masking tape stuck directly to the clear plastic.

The roof, Wills molded slate, the hip made by just bending the moulding. Two things i have found infuriating while using these slates, are, Joining it, the rows do not line up, and you always end up with a load of unusable size offcuts and never enough to finish the job.

The brown coating on the bottom of the left bay is an attempt to represent rendering, this is car body knife filler

I have just started to think about the fiddle yard. When i designed the layout, i designed it with a turntable type one, but now i have though about it, i am now thinking of cassettes.

Gary

post-7480-12658234871606_thumb.jpg

post-7480-12658235227359_thumb.jpg

post-7480-12658234655533_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

Breathtaking in terms of atmosphere and modelling quality - a real inspiration. I grew up in Fort William and regularly travelled the West Highland and Mallaig extension throughout the period you've targetted, and IMHO, you have distilled the very essence of the WHR - I hope I can do half as well for the C and O with my Kilbrannan Ferry. I have followed a similar strategy of selecting and modifying buildings from along the line, although I intend to run trains from the West Highland as well as the C and O. My layout thread elsewhere has details should you be interested.

I particularly liked the beautifully detailed railings you showed in one of the phots early in the new thread - they were very similar to ones that existed many years ago on the Fort William seafront along Achintore Road. How did you make them - were they scratchbuilt? Thanks also fo posting details of your concrete faced platorms - what colour of emulsion did you use to paint them? Again, beautifully coloured and weathered,

Look forward to seeing even more, thanks for sharing

Gus

site of the building with rum in the back ground??

post-7480-12644407029594_thumb.jpg

Hi Gary,

That's a very impressive start you've made on the building. High quality modelling. Keep posting, please!

I've just noticed the lamp in the above photo (the one with the bottle of rum in it biggrin.gif ). Is it a working one? If so, where did you get it or did you make it yourself? It looks very like the ones at Waverley and would be perfect for Waverley West.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi

Thanks for all your kind comments. I think the involvement in this forum has helped this layout to be a fast build.?

The work on the station building has been halted for a few days while I find time to get to buy some more Wills slates, its ether that or I glue umpteen offcuts together.?

Gus. the railings are from Langley models "seaside balustrade" No F181 With 1.5mm wire for the rails. What emulsion did i use for the platforms, well i haven't got a clue, probably stone colored with brown and black acrylics mixed in. With the scenic jobs, i tend to think about how i will do something for days, and then finish the job in half an hour and colors are found by experimentation.

Dave, the lamps are scratch built and are based on the ones that were at Mallaig, they are made from brass tube the heads been turned from clear plastic. (i am lucky, i have a lathe). At present, they do not work but the tubes extend bellow the board to allow an optic fiber to be pushed up, and i have tried this with success.?

The lady of the house has band me from spending all night down in the cold cellar, due to me having an on going chest infection. The doc has given me some pills, but the best remedy yet, has been the contents of the bottle in the photos and a chicken jalfrazie!

Happy modeling

Gary

Hi Gary,

It has been a while since I have been able to catch up on here what with the period of time the site was down and work but it has been really good to catch up with your layout again on here. Your progress has totally put me to shame and the qualtity of your work is superb as always. Really like your layout and you have provided me with a very practicle way of making my roof for Rannoch with your base and sections to create the support shape. Hope you feel better soon - I find a large whisky before bed seems to shift anything like that better than any pills!

Keep up the good work!

Mark

That last pic would make the basis of very nice backscene??

Station building looks good too, I do like the understatedness of the Mallaig extension buildings, compared to the chalets of the WHL 'main drag'

Funny you should say that Russ.

I have been experimenting with some photos i took in October, and now have what i think will be the backscene. I have dropped a representation of the model over the top to see how it fits.

A local printer has offered to print it for 40 quid, so i am about to spend this months trainset tokens.

Gary

post-7480-12662607683792_thumb.jpg

• Like 1