Glenuig

sixteen 12by 10s

Those back scene phots are going to look the biz.

I like your comment in another thread about the railway map of Scotland. I wonder if Rest and be thankful could have been done by rail. It was possibly looked into. I decided that for Caolisport that a Junction off the WHL at Ardlui provided a cheaper alternative, therby missing the Arrochar alps etc completely. Still to expensive to justify a railway to knowhere though. However the people of Cambletown, Inverary, Lochgilphead and Caolisport(tiny village) are chuffed.

Remind of the route to Glenuig again.

Claggy

Claggy,

The route to Genluig,there would be a junction at Lochailort and then a straight run down the west coast to the village, the North British , when the extension to the West highland was built, proposed a terminus at Roshven, witch is the next “village†north of Glenuig. The railway company instead of going south at  Lochailort continued north west to the tiny settlement of Mallaig. 

Rest and be thankful by rail?, think the only possibility would be a long tunnel through the Alps, the road on the other hand, is my second favorite bit of road in Great Britain, beaten in to first place by by the A87.

You mension  Inveraray,stayed there last weekend, has anyone run an imaginary line there yet? It would make a cracking location, going back in time to the1930's with a classic David Macbrayn steamer tied up at the jetty???????.

Watch this space the station building nearly finished.

Gary

• RMweb Gold
This is a test printfor the back scene, looks a bit grainy to me, comments please.

Maybe a little if viewed cruelly close up but whats the overall effect?

- it could be heat shimmer if one a hot summery day or mist on one that isnt, I know this is Rhum but Skye isn't called the mysty Isle without good reason! I'm not sure of the distances involved about 10-15 miles it shouldnt be 'crystal' clear even in the best of conditions?

The line to Caolisport goes through inverary. Passing loop with an engineers siding and a timber loading point. There is a twice weekly trip job from Caolisport to Lochgilphead and Inverary using the loco from either the sleeper or early freight off Mossend.

Would make an interesting model, similar to Taynuilt or Bridge of Orchy I reckon.

Are all your trains to/from Fort William then? Do they split at Lochailort for Mallaig and Glenuig? Or is it a branch with 1 loco in charge?

You may guess that operations is my thing.

cheerio

Claggy

Hi again all

Claggy

Haven't thought much about operation. I would think with the line only eight miles long from Lochailort, then there wouldn't be a passing loop at Roshven. I would like to think that there would be a separate platform at Lochailort for the branch, and a dedicated train would use this, but I want to run that classic mixed West Highland extension train, IE a passenger coaches with vans ,CCT's and TTB's tagged on the back. For this reason I think the trains would originate from Fort William. Freight, well, by the middle of the 1970's all but a small amount had gone from the WH extension, the service to the oil dpt at Mallaig been the last. A when required run to and from FW would probably service the rest of the lines requirements.

I have started to construct, or convert a fleet of wagons, a mixture of short wheel based unfitted, vac wagons and the new long wheel based air braked ones, it was this mix of rolling stock that fixed the date at 1980, if the old stock had of lasted a few years longer, the model would have been invaded with multitudes of LL class 37's, it was the standing around on the end of Scottish platforms and hanging out of front coach windows in the late 1980's that lead me to build my first WH layout “Lochalineâ€. perhaps one of the early Eastfeild large logo 37's will appear, but i have a feeling the layouts type three, will be 37190 with a small westie on the side, Ok two years out of date.

Russ

I think i need to print more of the back scene to get an idea of the finished article, a few A4's ether side and i will get a better idea.

Jim

The ground signal., a Stevens drop flap type is a kit from MSE number GS001. http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk

Gary

Hi Gary,

That station building of yours is brilliant - I really like the way you have coloured and weathered the slates. Please can you give me any tips as to what paints you used as I am getting very close to doing mine and need to get more green shades into the station building. Keep up the good work and you should add a 37 to your fleet as it would look good having been sent down the branch as a substitute for another failed loco from Fort William with a couple of mark ones and and van in tow - would certainly be interesting!

Mark

Hi Gary,

That station building of yours is brilliant - I really like the way you have coloured and weathered the slates. Please can you give me any tips as to what paints you used as I am getting very close to doing mine and need to get more green shades into the station building. Keep up the good work and you should add a 37 to your fleet as it would look good having been sent down the branch as a substitute for another failed loco from Fort William with a couple of mark ones and and van in tow - would certainly be interesting!

Mark

I say stick to your guns and just have type 2's. Railways are in essence very boring and models should reflect that.blink.gif

Nothing on my layout allowed other than LL or Rasberry ripple 37/4's. Unless Dave from Waverley West asks really nicely if he can bring a type 2 over.

cheerio

Claggy

I say stick to your guns and just have type 2's.  Railways are in essence very boring and models should reflect that.blink.gif

Claggy

My missus has said something similar about me!!

Claggy

I shall be using mainly type 2's but i will model a 37, and thinking about it the lads of the class Forty Appeal would kill me if i didn't do 37190, it was allocated to west highland duties in the early 1980's. 

Mark

The colors of the roof?. Are, I was afraid someone was going to ask me this one. Let me explain how I mix my paint, will all who excel in the art of painting models press the back button now to avoid offense.

I have a top cup type air brush, you know one of the cheep Chinese one's, that I have fetteled by polishing various bits of. The mix for the roof (this is were it gets interesting) pour in to the cup a drop of thinners, add a dollop of mat black, mid gray, and dark green mix up in the cup, to a stick mess then try.

I am sorry if its a bit vaig but its the unscientific approach to painting I use.

The weathering to represent the moss and lichen, is mat yellow and white dry stippled on, the lead flashing painted with gunmetal and mat black mix.

As for the rest of the building, the sickly green is a mix of yellow and bronze green, the gordy blue is rail blue and yellow. (sorry I can't quot Precision paint numbers here, and someone is about to tell me the correct name for these colors)

The rendering, think this was a case of what have I got here that is in reach, after a bit of experimentation, the whole building was covered with a very thin layer of what is known in the motor trade as “knife stopperâ€. This I cellulose based so it has the effect of etching into the plasticard. When dry, it was treated to a mix of mat white enamel, and tile grout stippled on.

As for the excuse to use a class 37, well I don't need one, Eastfeild started allocating 37's to the West Highland trains in the mid to late seventies, (probably 37144-157 were the first to be used on passenger duties), substitution one for a failed class 27?, while talking to a mate of mine, about fitting my locos with sound chips, he asked me if the one I was to fit in the 27, would have a function to activate the sound of the arrival of the Locharber fire brigade!.

Far too much froth for one post.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for that info. The yellow and white for the lichen etc works really well on yours and I wouldn't have thought to use yellow for this but that explains the nice subtle tones you have created so will need to give that a go at some point. I heard a 27 with a Howes chip at Model rail Scotland and thought it sounded really good shunting on a layout. There was a chap stood next to me who new a driver that use to drive 27's and had been stranded on the Forth bridge on 3 occaisions as a result! They weren't really looked after to the end and they were worked hard so no wonder there was regular failures!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Russ

The grass is a mixture of Mininature, Helki, and Noch fibers. Don't have the numbers or descriptions to hand, but i will have a look tomorrow. They were applied in layers with my homemade, stun gun, (if you hold the mesh and touch the grid at the same time!) i mean fly swatter applicator.

Gary 

Guest Max Stafford

Well, after a few hours hiding down the cellar, the station building is complete. Will write a bigger post on this soon, but here's some photos to be going on with.

Gary

post-7480-126738415866_thumb.jpg

post-7480-126738419229_thumb.jpg

This is a test printfor the back scene, looks a bit grainy to me, comments please.

That's not grainy, it's just all the ****ing midges you get in a Scottish summer...! :blink:

Dave.

post-7480-126738422865_thumb.jpg

Guest 30-something

Hi

Love this layout, very atmospheric and very well modelled! Keep up the hard work!

This is the sort of layout I'd love to do in N but need a reliable coupling system first!

Cheers

Joe

Hi all

Russ. A rummage through the scenery box has revealed what i think i used to grass up the siding.

Mininature

004-23 autumn 4.5mm

004-21 spring 4.5mm

Available from http://www.internationalmodels.net/

1/76th scale midges now that a thought, they tell me its how Scotsman got to do the highland fling, by getting the little blighter's up there kilts!!

Are you going to do some shows with the layout when its done?

Claggy

Claggy, no shows booked yet, but i have approached a few exhibition managers in my area. I have not exhibited a layout for about 15 years and finding it difficult to get back in the scene. Any offers would be considered from about the middle of the year.

Hi

Love this layout, very atmospheric and very well modelled!  Keep up the hard work!

This is the sort of layout I'd love to do in N but need a reliable coupling system first!

Cheers

Joe

During one of my lunch brakes, last week, while trying to ignore the disturbances, i found myself sketching Bridge of Orchy out and writing on the top “2mm fine scale, 1988†ummmm.

Gary

Just a few More photos

post-7480-126798891895_thumb.jpg

post-7480-12679889444_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Things going on in the Glen

Its been rather a long time since Glenuig made the first page, so i think its about time i gave an update. Next month it will have been a year since i sat outside the cottage on Skye gazing out towards Rum with my sketch pad, and put at the top of the page “Glenuig?â€

The build has slowed down from the early days, this has mainly being because i have been building some stock, and getting oily messing with real diesels. The big development has been the arrival of the specially commissioned backsceen, in the end, a local printers did it for 47 trainset tokens. Looking at the glare from it on the photos i think it shall get the mat varnish treatment shortly. I did the best with the photos i had, and am very pleased with the results.

The layout has gone DCC, with sound, much to the annoyance of the lady of the house, who sits above the cellar and occasionally shouts down “it sounds like New Street bl*!!y Station here†i correct her, and shout back, “make that Queen Streetâ€. More of the DCC stuff soon.

Gary

The finished station building based on Arisaig

post-7480-127309120542.jpg

post-7480-127309121138.jpg

Watch out for the wrinkles, the mat varnish is on the way

post-7480-127309121889.jpg

post-7480-127309122769.jpg

An attempt at modelinga wreck, the “brown stuff†is the first go at the sea weed, kelp,or painted carpet felt.

post-7480-127309123548.jpg

A Rugby tubular post WRsignal guards the entrance to the Glen

post-7480-127309124232.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Gary,

have just found this thread and read it from the start. Very impressed with your distillery and station buildings. Also like your layout very nice and really captures the area well.

cheers

Neil

Excellant stuff Gary, as others have said you have captured the west highland wonderfully;

Can you talk us through the forming and printing of the backscene (once you have sorted out the glossing and ripples!). It is a weakness on my layout and I do want to do something about it.

Hi Gary,

Nice to catch up with the progress on your layout looks superb! I hope to get the chance to see it at an exhibtion at some point as whilst it is great to see it - I would like to hear the sound of the Sulzers at work!

Better got on with mine!

Thanks,

Mark