Glenuig

sixteen 12by 10s

Hi all, I am indeed looking forward to meeting you all at Nottingham. Its going to be a busy year, I have Macclesfield the week before, and Wigan in June, to add to that the slate quarry is at Stourbridge in April, and Midland modelex in August.

I will try and give an update on the layout soon, but work is centred around sorting out some of the bugs, and modifying the fiddle yard.

See you all

Gary

AHH Yes Fiddleyards They can be a problem. Josh's Potterbourne started with cassettes, which whilst we never did have an accident, we got close a couple of times. So before we went to Warley it was changed into a fan of sidings. So much easier and without the fear of spilling stock onto the floor.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lovely shot Gary...

Ironic as I took a few prep shots of my 2mmFS efforts two days ago before I start weathering the locos and I ended up with this...mini-me... :laugh:

post-3290-0-19178000-1331161589_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Gary and Pete,

Both photos look fantastic! The brown stone work on the buildings at the back looks very effective and similar in shade to the stone pillars that i need to create on my viaduct. Any tips on what colours you used to create those shades would be very helpful?

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

Hi all

well what a shot Pete, if I didn't know better, I would have said you had copied of me!.

Mark, sorry, can't really tell you any colors, get a photo and try and match you paint to it. Paint it one color all over, then while it still wet, add a few blobs of darker and light shades, then get a big brush, and using downward strokes blend it all together. This should give the weathered look, just remember water runs down, so any discolouration will go with the flow, so to speak. I am pretty sure that I have seen a few photos of those bridge piers, with lime streaks running out of the sorter courses, have a look.

Andrew, look forward to meeting you and any other Rmwebers at the forth coming shows, please all introduce yourself, I am the big one,and at Nottingham I shall be accompanied by a good looking woman (the missus reads this) she is quite chatty, and an authority on the rare class 87 workings on the West Highland.

See you all

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

well what a shot Pete, if I didn't know better, I would have said you had copied of me!.

ha ha...the term is 'made reference to' Gary....besides, it was your fault posting that pic of that tractor at Kyle that led to the layout :D

Seriously, Glenuig is a big inspiration (and Mark's PT) and both are having the same effect on me as the original Ian Futers 4mm layouts did when I was a lad.

Thanks guys and enjoy Nottingham (a few photos would be much appreciated)

ha ha...the term is 'made reference to' Gary....besides, it was your fault posting that pic of that tractor at Kyle that led to the layout :D

Seriously, Glenuig is a big inspiration (and Mark's PT) and both are having the same effect on me as the original Ian Futers 4mm layouts did when I was a lad.

Thanks guys and enjoy Nottingham (a few photos would be much appreciated)

Inspiration? Well, Ian Futters, I have long looked at his creations, and now am about to attend an exhibition with the man. Other than that (and its cards on the table time) Culreoch I can remember using the original mag (Model Rail?) article to lean on, while I was sketching out Glenuig outside a cottage on Skye. The works of Peter Mariot, simple but effective, Chris Nevard, for the way he can take something very ordinary, and make it look like a modeling masterpiece, and teaching me (I bet he wish he hadn't) a few tricks with the glass fronted box of pixels! This forum, for continuously “raising the bar†but one thing in particular about Glenuig, The West coast of Scotland and its railways, every free holiday I had in the late 1980's and early 1990's I spent with a freedom of Scotland. Yes I hung out of front windows screaming at some hellfire tractor on the front of the train, but what I did do was explore Scotland's railways, and photograph them.

See you all at the shows

And Pete, I will send you some photos shortly.

Gary

Good to have a talk Andy, and anyone else that popped by, including the gaffa Mr York.

I have a few snags to sort out before Wigan, mainly to do with couplers, and one isolating gap that closed up creating an intermittent short.

Now for the best bit

The Seagulls. To add a bit of movement above Glenuig, I came up with my auto gull flying devise, this consist of something that looks like a rimless wheel that hides in the lighting pelmet. From the spokes, hang model gulls on thin wire, the whole lot is powered by a slow turning motor.

Jan, decided that they were flying in the wrong direction, I said flick the switch on the power supply, but instead she turned the juice up to full, the mobile whizzed round that fast it catapulted the said birds in all directions, one even made it to Portchullin opposite, only to be rejected for being an EM bird not a P4 one.

Jan had hysterics, I had a grump for a moment, but then joined in with the laughter. All 5 gulls where eventually recovered and restored to their flight path.

Gary

• Like 6

Enjoyed seeing the layout again Sunday, although because of getting side tracked and having to spend a fair amount of time sat down I didn't get to see many of the layouts properly. But I did get photos of most that were there on the Sunday. IIRC I took a short piece of video to test the video feature of my phone of this layout too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah missed again, I'll look forward to seeing the quarry at Railex but I'd love to see this sometime. Don't suppose you've volunteered it to the Warley lot yet have you?

I must look up the standards for P4 gulls and see if they'd lift my OO efforts so they don't notice the narrow gauge track! :sungum:

• Like 1

Good to have a talk Andy, and anyone else that popped by, including the gaffa Mr York.

I have a few snags to sort out before Wigan, mainly to do with couplers, and one isolating gap that closed up creating an intermittent short.

Now for the best bit

The Seagulls. To add a bit of movement above Glenuig, I came up with my auto gull flying devise, this consist of something that looks like a rimless wheel that hides in the lighting pelmet. From the spokes, hang model gulls on thin wire, the whole lot is powered by a slow turning motor.

Jan, decided that they were flying in the wrong direction, I said flick the switch on the power supply, but instead she turned the juice up to full, the mobile whizzed round that fast it catapulted the said birds in all directions, one even made it to Portchullin opposite, only to be rejected for being an EM bird not a P4 one.

Jan had hysterics, I had a grump for a moment, but then joined in with the laughter. All 5 gulls where eventually recovered and restored to their flight path.

Gary

Hi Gary

Good idea .I remeber Exeter Quay had a similar ornithological machine. My son then about 8 was v impressed! Martin

Ah missed again, I'll look forward to seeing the quarry at Railex but I'd love to see this sometime. Don't suppose you've volunteered it to the Warley lot yet have you?

I must look up the standards for P4 gulls and see if they'd lift my OO efforts so they don't notice the narrow gauge track! :sungum:

Thanks all for your kind comments and photos.

The next confirmed booking for Glenuig is Wigan in June and then a long absence till Stafford in Feb 2013. I haven't as yet been approached by the Warley organizers, but going by the amount of information sheets I gave out on Saturday, we shall be coming to a place near you soon.

As you say the quarry is at Midland Railex and Stourbridge this year, if I don't go mad in the first hour that I operate it, after all, there not a lot you can do with an 0-16.5 layout that is only 25 inches square.

Couplings, I am going to try the D&G's on some 2mm stuff, did I say 2mm?, but I am going to have another look at the S&W's, I think a couple of things are happening,

1, damage during transportation, and need checking at the venue

2, some are bunged up with paint, use metal blacking in future

3, pay more attention to leveling base boards

The rest of the running was pretty good, and at Macclesfield and Nottingham, I didn't have one loco lose electrical contact, or was it all to do with the keep alive capacitors.

The seagulls, I can see a blog on the wonderful contraption coming up soon....

Thanks all

Gary

Please could you tell me what sound chips are you using with the keep alive capacitors and any other info. I have used them (caps) in the past with DC layouts.

Good to speak on Saturday by the way, thanks Steve

Edited by uglykidjoe

Hi

First can I apologize in advance, I am a professional electrical engineer, so I tend to do modifications like these, easily.

All my locos have ESU 3.5 and sound samples from South West Digital, to connect up you need to identify the DC side of the rectifier, and make sure you get the polarity right.

I must warn you, you will devoid the chip of any guarantee.

try here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43324-stay-alive-capacitors/

Good luck

Gary

• 2 months later...

Hi all

well its been some time since I posted in this thread. Glenuig is packed up ready for its journey to Wigan. I set it up on Saturday for testing and to evicted the resident spiders!, I coldn't resist a few snaps, so here's a PW train approaching the station. See you all at the show, and for those who show any interest at all, full training will be given on operating the layout, because as of yet, I am on my own, any volunteers?

post-7480-0-13380900-1339704526_thumb.jpg

• Like 3