Glenuig

sixteen 12by 10s

Hi Gary,

Well if Chris has done the pictures, it will be a superb article! I'll look out for that .... were you approached or did you put it forward? - well done either way!

Over Haddon is superb! What a contrast from pre-1948 LMS to post-1980 BR! Think i still prefer the Sulzer and EE motive power lol! But the standard of Over Haddon does you proud!

Well done mate.

Rich

Hi again Rich

I was approached after I got the pic of the week spot a few months ago.

I have been looking for a follow up project for Glenuig for the last few months, so I thought I would take the opportunity of some spare time over Xmas to finish the slate quarry, at least this one's portable.

Over Haddon, well I would love to it into a state were I could show it, but its big and there's only me, and perhaps some press ganged mates to leaver it out of the loft and out the front door. I am in two minds, whether to carry on with the portable option for Over Haddon, or leave it has a fixed layout and start something fresh.

I have dabbled with so much in the past, and I am reluctant to have ago at something else, I even have some 7mm gauge stuff around, don't get excited its 1930's LMS ex midland

Now that 37043 you have looks rather tempting. Wheres the sketch book and tape measure!! I’d better have a beer.

Gary

I have dabbled with so much in the past, and I am reluctant to have ago at something else, I even have some 7mm gauge stuff around, don't get excited its 1930's LMS ex midland

Now that 37043 you have looks rather tempting. Wheres the sketch book and tape measure!! I’d better have a beer.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Happy New Year to you!

Well 1930s LMS in 7mm sounds good to me! Its not quite blue and grey with the hearty throb of an EE power unit, but its not far off! :)

Everybody seems to start developing resistance to going O gauge when they see that Large Logo 37! With most they must get good at it, as the resistance (or is it the lock on the wallet??) works! But the odd one or two win through and take the plunge! Doing Clifford Road really has taught me that you don't need a huge space for O gauge to be able to achieve a lot, something i'd never grasped previously. I've never exhibited a layout before (have plenty of experience of watching many of them from the spectator side) but I think i'd love to in the future ..... Although CR is definitely a stay-at-home beast ... mainly because the layout framework (which is securely bolted to the wall!) means its a solid 13ft baseboard ... try getting that in a van! ..... Back the HGV this way Mr Stobart! :)

But given your skills I think an O gauge layout would be a superb project and a good draw at exhibitions (esp if you went 1980s like Glenuig) .... if you were open to operators i'd happily volunteer!

Now ... never mind the sketch book and tape measure .... find the pencil and rubber first!

Having said all that, I love Glenuig though! I see something new in the photographs almost everytime I look at them!

Rich

Hi Again Rich

Its got me thinking, 7mm blue diesels do have an appeal and I am very tempted to look into something Scottish. I, for one have not seen many good scenic 7mm layouts and I would love to have ago at one. But first let me tell you everything to do with railways and all the other stuff I have around the place and some at my mothers house that I moved out of 14 years ago!.

Layouts

Hindale, 7mm 12 by 2 feet ,1930s LMS branch line set in the peak, exhibited 7 times, 1988-1991, stored

Lochailine 00 12 by 7 feet, Scottish blue diesel 1987, exhibited 8 times, 1990-1992

Brewers wharf, 00 4.5 by 1.5 feet brewery exhibited once 1993

Over Haddon 00 15 by 8 feet, 1930s LMS, incomplete .but playable with.

Glenuig, EM complete, exhibitions booked.

The yet nameless Welsh slate, 0-16.5 unfinished and on going

Add to that lot, three EE full size locos namely D212, 37314, 50007, that I have the pleasure of cleaning with my overalls while squeezing my bulk into dirty places to persuade them to work. The reward for the work is I occasionally get a thrash.

A few unfinished locos.

Helping a mate with a H0e German layout.

Oh yes, and I have a Victorian house, a classic car, and a very understanding other half!!

I think I should think hard before starting another project, but looking at it, the first three layouts I mention, are candidates for an E bay sale or give away, then get Over Haddon, finished.

The immediate plan is to work on the slate layout until the building work on the house is finished, hopefully the end of this month, then set up Glenuig, for a few months before the first exhibition..

After that I am off on my hols, to.......... the...... West …..coast........ of …....Scotland.......rolleyes.gif

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

-no we didn't feel it down here in Argyll either! though it was supposed to be noticeable in Oban. We experienced one a little before leaving Yorks (and there has been another since recently) and some in Cumbria, sometimes it makes you just wonder if things like this are more newsworthy these days! ;) Cracks in car parks & roads? I think in W.Highlands/Argyll you would be hard pressed to notice the difference some of last yrs potholes have not been sorted yet! :lol:

Hi Mark

Tell you the truth, I have yet to see the finished piece in the mag yet.

Glad you liked the article. I was pleased with my attempts at photographing the layout, but I think Mr Media's photos are something else. Chris, spent a few hours getting the shots, and while he was, I leant so much about photographing models (of the railway kind, missus take note), that my photography has come on leaps and bounds, have a look at “Welsh slate†for my latest attempts.

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the article in Model Rail too. You have packed so much West Highland atmosphere into such a small space, anyone looking at the layout would be in no doubt as to where Glenuig is (quite apart from the name of course!). That, combined with your subtle modelling skills and colouring of the scenery, makes for an absolutely stunning layout.

Great stuff. Sorry if you've mentioned this before, but are you planning on exhibiting it anywhere? It would be great to actually see it.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi

So as far as I know the publishers have sold 7 copies of Model Rail 153! and my mum brought 4 of them!. :lol:

At last I have got a look at it, and if I say it myself it don't half look good. Chris has made a fantastic job of the photos and this has really shown the model of. Glenuig has not seen the light of day since the photo hoot, Diy activity has made it a pain to set-up in the house, so Ihave been knee deep in mud in the quarry.

http://www.rmweb.co....20-welsh-slate/

So to answer the exhibition question, the Glen is booked for the following dates.

9-10/04/2011Stourbridge, navigation trust, model railway exhibition, at thebonded warehouse.

Glenuig,s first show,and my home town gig.

2/07/2011 something to do with Rmweb! (provisional)

27-28/08/2011 Railex NE

http://www.btmrs.co....ition-2011.html

I hope to get it set up in the next few weeks, and start working out some sequence moves, in preparation for the shows, and I look forward to using some new found photographic skills.

Thanks go to all of you who have offered encouragement, and advise, it has made the the layout build enjoyable to say the least.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary, I'm new to all this forum stuff, so I hope I'm in the right place. I am going to have a go at making own yard lights, I've got it all sussed except for the shades. I like the look of the ones on the Glenuig layout, but can you give me a clue how they were made?.

Mike

The Canal

Hi Mike

Welcome to Rmweb, and hope you will find it as enjoyable and useful as I have.

Funnily enough, I was going to post a bit on the yard lamps, so you have prompted me.

First of all, they are non working, the layout has its own integral bright lighting, so there seamed little point.

The heads are custom turned, I am one of those lucky folk who own a lathe, and are made to look like the old enameled, shades, that were made (I think) by a company called "Revo". After painting they were given a thin coat of gloss varnish, to give them that shine.

Hope this helps

Gary

post-7480-0-14640200-1297278976_thumb.jpg

post-7480-0-52503300-1297278988_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just wanted to add to previous comments, I too really enjoyed the article in Model Rail and especially liked the photos. What a superb layout and the scenery and weathering is absolutely top class.

Excellent work on the yard lamps, the hoods look very similar to what I am after for the depot lighting for Boxenby. You are lucky to have a lathe and have made a nice job on those, I might need your help and advice at some point in the future if you don’t mind. You should set up a business and start selling the yard lamps!

Great layout!

Hi all

And again, thank you for your kind comments, and please feel free to ask me questions, and I will do my best to give a sensible answer. Going into business making lamps, that's a thought. To tell you the truth, I get as much pleasure from making the small items then a new loco. Look around Glenuig and there are lots of specially made items.

Chris,

if you don't like the cold, wait till may, then head for the north west, the layout doesn’t have a B&B but there is an inn at the real, Glenuig.

Glenuig is about to emerge from its dark store, (cellar), so watch this space, photos and more news will follow shortly.

Gary

Would think there would be a nice wee article for one of the mags about your yard lamps, especially if you can give some dimensions, have some prototype photographs etc. Or you could do an on-line "how to" on here!

Or as someone else said maybe marketing them, or maybe just even the turned lamps?

Cheers,

26power

The yard lamps have had stirred up a lot interest, I can feel a blog coming on!.

Yes please - that would be great!

I've been looking for something similar without success in 7mm. The closest things I've found which would be suitable for the lamps are some buttons which can be covered with fabric and have a push fit insert. They are almost the correct shape if you remove the insert - but not quite.

Unfortunately I don't have a lathe but any insights into how you've done it would be fantastic.

Julian