Glenuig

sixteen 12by 10s

Hi Mike and all

Yes, it is a bit misleading, both layouts featured in the mag, carry the “Model rail Scotland†flash, but neither are attending this years exhibition. Sorry if this has been confusing, but I was not aware that MR were going to “badge†the layout in this way.

Mike, you are right, the first booking is Stourbridge show on the 9th and 10th of April, at the Bonded warehouseâ€.

I can add one more booking, Glenuig will be attending “Midland Railexâ€, the the Midland Railway Centre on august 13th and 14th of this year.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Gary,

Seeing Glenuig in Model Rail was the main reason for buying the magazine the other week. I did very much enjoy reading the article and studying Chris' photos. I would really like to see Glenuig in the flesh sometime, but unfortunately Stourbridge is a little too far to travel for an exhibition from home, shame.

Reading through the article and studying the track plan has given me a few ideas for a future layout and with some adaption could be perfect for my next layout. Mine, however, will not be Scotish based - I will leave that to modellers like yourself - I could not do this region justice. I think that you should model the region that you are familar with anyway. You have captured the 'feel' of Scotland very well.

I to, like your lamps and there is something very fulfilling about making your own details, rather than simply buying off the shelf (not that there is anything wrong with that), I just prefer to make my own if my skills / knowledge allow!

Mudmagnet

Cracking layout, I've followed the progress on here about 'Glenuig' but never made the link between it and the one in Model Rail, duhhh it's all in the name.

It shows a small layout can still look realistic even a loco and two MK1s, this has given me food for thought for my Irish layout which could run similar lenght formations (well a loco, EGV and 2 Cravens)

Q. What length are your platforms (I estiimate no more than 3 1/2 foot)?

Thanks again all

I really should get on and blog – post on the making of those lights, they have been a big hit.

Spot on with the platform length, with the ramps its 3'6†in fact half the length of the scenic area.

Not much exciting news from the glen at the moment, a lot of time has been spent fiddling with thing such as the Sprat and Winkle couplers, to get them all uniform

I have a few more details to build and add, including a boat, so lets hope I can get these finished before the first gig.

Gary

post-7480-0-36871000-1298750378_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gary, I'm a bit of a lurker on RM web but I have watched this topic from the start. I am impressed with the layout and what you have managed to achieve. I don't live to far from Stourbridge and have managed to book the Sunday off to come and visit the show ( damn these 10 day shift cycles!), one of the main attractions being this layout ! Hope all goes well and if I get chance i'll say 'Hello'.

Regards Paul

Hi Paul

the bonded warehouse show at Stourbridge is a small but very friendly exhibition. Look forward to meeting you and any other Rmwebbers that give the show a visit. It looks a good line up this year with my old mate, Phill Stevens, bringing his big roundy roundy “snow hillâ€.

Big day this Sunday, I am housebound on work standby, so I intend to set up Glenuig and play trains all day, the camera will be around.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I set Glenuig up for a trial exhibition, (play), on Sunday the 20/03/2011, to check for any bugs and problems ahead of Stourbridge show. 90%+ of problems were found too be Sprat and winkle coupling related, due to miss adjustment and irritating uncoupling when you did not want it to happen, causing slip wagon and coach operation!!.

Derailments!

These were caused mainly when a long wheel based wagon was coupled to a short wheel based wagon and propelled through a crossover, the hook of one wagon would fowl on the other causing the rear of the wagon to derail. This was cured by adjusting the offset angle. Another problem, that I was aware of anyway, is hooks fowling in the buffer beam detail on the locos, they have now been fitted with longer loops to avoid this.

So we have our train ready to depart, a blow of the horn and were away, well until we reach the firsts magnet, just a little jerk here and we have left the stock behind. To overcome this one, two magnets on the platform road have been replaced with electromagnets.

Operating general.

It has been my intentions to operate from the front, but after a good running session, I have had other thoughts. I have now repeated the point and signal controls at the rear, so I can operate from both positions.

Other news, I have made the two signals operational using the Heathcoat servo system, (I know that servos are been discussed elsewhere on this forum) overall it works well, but one problem is they are prone to electrical noise, and I have had to fit all the point motors with suppression.

And now for the big one, Mrs Gary, has elected herself as co-operator, training is ongoing.....and I have only been hit over the head with the Powercab twice so far, watch this space.

Gary

Gary,

I have been following this thread with great interest. I am not sure whether I have already commented it, but I dare to say, that your layout is the best small layout I have ever seen in my career of 47 years as a railway modeller -and I have seen many a layout.

Is it asking too much to see more of it?

• 2 weeks later...

Gary,

I have been following this thread with great interest. I am not sure whether I have already commented it, but I dare to say, that your layout is the best small layout I have ever seen in my career of 47 years as a railway modeller -and I have seen many a layout.

Is it asking too much to see more of it?

Hi

A chink of evening light, as the driver waits for the road back home, this is a naturallit shot, I think it should be referred to as “doing a Daveâ€Waverly west!

post-7480-0-60890200-1302026855_thumb.jpg

Another test session on Sunday, this time the coupling issue was OK, and I can now announce that the slip coach service is now withdrawn. The layout can now be operated from both sides, and it is at this point when I will say,that I wish I had took the bull by the horns and gone for DCC accessory operation. See the piccy bellow, and then check my profile to find out my profession, yes you have got it spaghetti chef.

Now to pack for the Stourbridge gig this weekend, see ya

Gary

post-7480-0-56812900-1302026940_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Stourbridge show day one

So. the first day of the first show is over, and its time to go to the pub. Overall I am very pleased with how its gone. My co operator who had never made an exhibition of himself,excelled in the job, thanks Dan. We were both new to DCC control, and only one almighty prang must be awarded to me, I addressed the wrong loco then wondered why it wasn’t moving, only to see the stock been propelled against the stops at an alarming rate, so the error count for the day looks like this.

Uncountable derailments 2

derailments S&W hooks caught in the buffer detail 3

operator error lost count

And still the bl**dy seagulls fly the wrong way

tomorrow, my co operator is the missus, I will report if I survive.

Gary

post-7480-0-75947000-1302375357_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hope all goes well on Day 2 Gary.

When I see the overall shot of the layout as posted above, it brings back nice memories of visiting an exhibition and finding one layout that captures all my interest...and then standing watching it for ages.

This layout would be that such one if I could have made the show - The overall presentation/display/lighting looks to work very well...and there's not in any motive power on show yet :D

If you can keep posting some pics, that would be a nice consolation ;)

Thanks, Pete

Gary, Was good to see the layout in the flesh today, even if my 4 year old 'Wanted a drink' !

I was very impressed with the attention to details and the overall weathering of the entire layout and rolling stock.

I hope to see the layout again in the flesh and look forward to a longer chat next time ! I did nip back down before I went home but you were busy !

Hope you don't mind but below is one of the pics that I took this morning.

All the best

Paul

post-7339-0-29649100-1302466358_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Paul, thanks for the chat, I am certain that you were not the only Rmwebber, at the exhibition, but you were the only one to make your self known. Please feel free to post any photos on this thread, its good to see a different angle on the layout. Rest assured, it will not be the last time Glenuig puts up an appearance in the West Midlands, and I have a few bookings further a field.

I will be back at the Bonded Warehouse next year, with “Welsh Slate†operating that for two days will send me mad.

Back to the Glen.

A few lessons learnt and a few problems to solve.

My biggest fear was that in the unusual hot weather for this time of year, I would have expansion problems, in the end one did rear its head, producing a short on the crossing of a point, the razor saw sorted that one.

Signals, isn’t it always the case, for the to do list “get the signals operational†well I made sure that mine worked from the start, but on Friday night, the home signal decided to have a mind of its own, and the arm eventual did a loop the loop, the system was unceremoniously disconnected with the wire cutters.

Coupling issues. A few wagons were becoming uncoupled when been shunted, these were withdrawn for checking, but when all the dimensions were checked it was found that the wagons were not at fault and the problem occurred at the base board joints. I need to fit level adjusters to the legs, and pay more attention, to getting the layout level.

Operators, well my usual partner in crime made some petty excuses that he had got to work and drive real trains for DBS, but at the last minute Dan stepped in and covered Saturday, and did an smashing job. On Sunday, it was down to me and the missus, it cost me a slap up meal for two after the show, we are now just about on speaking terms!

I was unsure whether I would operate from the front or the back, on Saturday we chose the back, but Sunday I stood out at the front. I found this arrangement a lot more sociable, and allowed me to talk a lot more, the problem was that at times this was a distraction. Both methods have there problems, so I think I shall play it by ear in the future.

Lots of folks were asking me technical questions about DCC, the truth was that Saturday was the first time I had worked a layout in anger using DCC. Great fun..

Just one other thing, the size of the layout was governed by what would fit in the car, this weekend was the first show, an we have just had a new car, the thing could have been 12†longer.

To sum up the whole weekend, I am very pleased with the performance of Glenuig, and its good to be back on the exhibition circuit after 17 years, and a big thanks to all the Rmwebbers who have supported me during this build. Now to the big one, tidy out the cellar.:(

Gary

Very nice layout - just the size I like. I only just caught up with your magazine article in New York.

"Slap up Meal" - I like it, reminds me of the Bash Street Kids from The Beano..........

Best, Pete.

Funny you should say that, not that I am name dropping, but, I have been known to have one or two drinks too many with the editor of the Beano, honest.

There is also a sequel to the days events, that I will write up another time, I is funny though.

Gary

Hi BcnPete

Sorry I missed your last post and did not reply. I put a lot of work into lighting and presentation, but i have a bit more to do, I must paint that end board.

The next project, after I have found the work bench and floor, is to build a PW train, and I think there should be a boat moored up.

Will keep you informed.

Gary

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Its been some time since I reported on from Glenuig, the truth is the layout has been packed away since the Stourbridge gig. Meanwhile, I have been kept busy building some wagons for a PW train,, the Dogfish, Catfish, mermaid, and shark are all Cambrian kits. The kits were quite straight, except for two problems. The first with the two hopper wagons, these were very difficult to assemble the chassis square and with the open design it was not easy to fit compensation or springing.

The Shark, it was fiddly to fit and get the Sprat and winkle couplings to fit under the ploughs.

post-7480-0-16244000-1307867830_thumb.jpg

And just a photo of the 37 for a change!post-7480-0-73367000-1307867892_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 4

Hi Gary,

Always nice to see an update and pics of Glenuig, it's a lovely layout.B) The PW train looks great, I think the Mermaid is a pain to build, but I have managed to do three and I think they look better the the Flangeway model.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

the truth is the layout has been packed away since the Stourbridge gig

Go on Gary...its because the dark side of 2mmFS is pulling you really :P

As Peter says, its always nice to see some pics of the layout...