Glenuig

sixteen 12by 10s

• 3 weeks later...

Glenuig was subject to a bit of subversion this weekend. Another exhibitor (name withheld) had a spot where he could see when Mr sixteen 12by 10s was away from the layout.

And somehow, for a brief moment in Gary's absence, Glenuig slipped back in time.

post-6670-0-77153700-1309723520_thumb.jpg

post-6670-0-17632800-1309723999_thumb.jpg

sorry bcnPete :blink:

Seriously though Gary, nice to speak to you and your Mrs, hope to see this gem of a layout again soon. I need to get myself something like your lighting arrangement too. :yes:

• Like 4

Hi

Hope the M6 and M74 was kind to you. I must admit, the Black 5 dose look good on Glenuig. Perhaps one day I shall go back in time its very tempting. By the way, I consider the Black 5 to be the finest steam loco built, so I have no objections to one appearing.

the return favour will follow shortly its blue and diesel powered.

Gary

post-7480-0-83205700-1309727770_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hello Gary,

Do you know that I've only just found your layout thread? I can't believe that I've been on here for so long and never seen this until Saturday!

Anyway, well done sir, your modelling is of the highest standards and I'm now a big fan!

Great to meet you and your good lady, hope to see you again soon,

Cheers,

John E.

PS Your (good lady's?) camera made me feel quite inadequate (with my little pocket Lumix!) when she came over to Jamies layout with green & blue class 26's! :lol::lol::lol:

• RMweb Gold

sorry bcnPete

I dunno...the odd Kettle every now and then ain't so bad :lol:

Really sorry I couldn't get back for the Members day...looking at the photos, lots of top notch layouts there...but seeing Glenuig and Culreoch in the same room :O WoW

Keep on coming with those pics...that Blue Dapol 26 is going to stir my 1/8 Scottish roots up again me thinks...

Great to actually see your layout on Saturday, Looking and SOUNDING so good, Your good lady even stopped the train so I could get some better shots, (its a pity BR didn't do that!!) Thanks to you both, Andy.

PS Your (good lady's?) camera made me feel quite inadequate (with my little pocket Lumix!) when she came over to Jamies layout with green & blue class 26's! :lol::lol::lol:

Arr, the camera, your photos are probably better than the good lady's or mine come to think of it, the new weapon has got lots of twigly knobs and buttons that go peep when you press them, and I have only just managed to find out how to take a photo with it, so she would not have a clue.

As for a Kettle on Glenuig, now where’s that Hornby Black 5. And Pete, I am related to the Macgregors in my distance past, as well as being a bit of a Viking, a cross between Rob Roy and Hagar the Horrible.

My good lady managing to stop a train in the right place, she must be getting better, I was going to apologise for her “operating limitationsâ€

So now on to Midland Railex, hope to see some of you there.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gary - Just seen Paul's 15 min video from the day and there is a great extract of your 37 arriving, running around and then departing...think I am going to be watching that again a good few times :good:

Just wanted to say,

I really liked the look of the layout when I first saw it on rmweb

however, having seen it in the flesh last weekend

I was blown away by the quality of the modelling, the superb level of detail,

and the wonderfully realistic colours of the buildings and scenery

Superb sir, just superb!

Nice chatting to you & your good lady too -

shame we didn't get more chance to have a chin-wag

maybe next year, and if it becomes a 2 day event...... :yes:

Cheers

Marc

Hi Gary,

Its great to see your updates - I keep seeing that photo for the Midlands show with your new ballast train at the top of the page and I am amazed every time I see it as it just looks so good! Still it does provide me some inspiration to get on with my scenic work to try and acheive something half as decent as yours already is! Even went as far as to get a blue 26! I am getting to the stage where I am giving the backscenes a lot of thought having just put up blue sky for now on the main board, but I was looking back at the photos you posted a good while back from that glorious sunny day you had at Rannoch and hope that I might be able to use them on the layout in the future cut out and stuck on to create some distance especially the viaduct section but I will be in touch when i get rouund to this properly.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark

I noticed that your layout had started to get some more rateable traction, a bit more 1980's, but sadly

this was only a temporary measure.

Give me a few days to get my computer up and running, some kind person, in Nigeria, or the eastern block, and whant's me to pay 49 quid to shift it, :angry: I will retrieve the photos and get them over to you.

By the way, I am looking very closely to the next station down from Ranoch, watch this space.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

By the way, I am looking very closely to the next station down from Ranoch, watch this space.

Sounds interesting! We could link layouts and have the stock go through a special modelling time warp so 80's going one way and my modern stock the other

If I'm not mistaken, Gary's looking at it in 2mmFS...certainly would be different linking the two :laugh:

Just read my last post witch makes no sense at all, this is what happens when you get distracted. The computer acquired a rather nasty virus, an I have only just got it up and running again.

As Pete says, it would be interesting running trains from your layout to my proposed one, “honey I shrunk 37188†comes to mind.

Gary

Hi Gary

Just back from a weeks holiday in Scotland walking the dogs. Imagine my pleasure when I noticed on the map that our walk to the abandoned settlement at Smirisary would mean we would pass through Glenuig.

We stopped at the station and whilst my wife pottered about in the craft shop that has now taken over part of the main building I wandered on to the platform just in time to watch a 156 from Fort William arrive.

The signals have all gone but the box still survives and appears well maintained as a bothy, control now being affected by ground frames and RETB from Banavie centre. The siding to the distillery has long been lifted but I noticed that the one along the harbour appeared to have been in use. Talking to the driver of the unit he informed me DBS had recently trialled loading timber here and a class 57 "Thunderbird" had been used similar to the trials a while back from Crianlarich.

All in all an interesting day. Or did I take too much of the Moidart in the nearby Glenuig Inn....? ;-)

Regards

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Mike

Just picked up on your post, visited Glenuig in may but on a damp day, I could not be bothered to get the camera out just for a 156 sprinter. Perhaps when the layout has been on the circuit for a few years, I may consider bringing the snapshot time forward to the present day, but for now we will be firmly stuck in the blue era.

Well, the photo of the boat, in the “how realistic†section seamed to be well received, so I thought I would give a brief explanation.

Model is built from a Artitec kit, available from Langley models. The kit is made to represent a shrimp fisher, but this was not suitable for north west Scotland, so I rigged it as a local day boat trawler. I keep meaning to do a few blogs, so I shall add this little project to the list.

Only a week to go until Midland railex, and then a shot brake, and of to the north east, this time, I am not in panic mode, just a few maintenance jobs to do, oh yes, and I have had another go at the signals.

post-7480-0-34515600-1312397920_thumb.jpeg

post-7480-0-84605700-1312397950_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Hi Chris

Do it....

Thanks for the chat, and thanks to all who stopped by for a natter. I really enjoy operating from the front, it gives me an opportunity to talk, and get distracted from what I am supposed to be doing.

Busy little show, at one time, the spectators were three deep, to watch me make a total mess of shunting the PW train!.

I have a list of issues to sort out before the next outing, the majority being Sprat and winkle coupling problems. I check every one, before a show with a set-up jig, but still have one or two that get bent, I think I should look at my stock box. Late on in the day, the point motor to the dock siding de funked, so I wound it across to the loop by hand, to keep the run round loop in action.

I will be having a go at getting the cl 37's sound a bit better, you can hardly hear it, and that’s not right.

A big thanks to Wilf (baldrick25) who not only managed to master the DCC controller, but excelled in his catering skills.

Back to work now, to earn some more trainset tokens for the next project.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the excellent show on Saturday. It was well worth travelling from York to see your layout and have a chat. Excellent.

The Class 50 failed at Derby on my return journey and they attached a Rat! (joke.) Hope to see you again in the future. BTW. Pogo passes on his regards.

Phil (York)

• 3 months later...