Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Hi Mark, 

Nice to see a bit of BR blue on the layout, the MK1s look great. 

I saw Nigel Burkin's pics of your layout on his blog, very nice good luck with the voting to get into BRM next month.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Mark,

Nice to see a bit of BR blue on the layout, the MK1s look great.

I saw Nigel Burkin's pics of your layout on his blog, very nice good luck with the voting to get into BRM next month.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter,

It makes a change modelling late 80's stock for Newlands. The mark 1's were a bit of an impulse buy but I'm quite pleased how they turned out. I've got a 26 in bits at the moment getting detailed but I need to get on with the layout.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. I kept the layout low key for a while before it appeared in BRM recently and it's pretty much been framed up since the photos were taken by Nigel as work is progressing on Newlands Park ready for its debut at Glasgow in Feb. This is a joint project with my friend Andy aka backwaterscotland on here and is set in late 80's Suburban Glasgow so will hopefully see lots of you again then.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year when it comes.

All the best

Mark

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

Just thought I'd drop by to wish you and yours a Very Merry Christmas in case you didn't see my post of my WW thread. I'm sure Christmas this year will be extra special for you with Eilidh growing fast I'm sure.

Looking forward to seeing Newlands Park and catching up with you in February.

Season's Greetings,
Dave 

Hi Mark,

Just thought I'd drop by to wish you and yours a Very Merry Christmas in case you didn't see my post of my WW thread. I'm sure Christmas this year will be extra special for you with Eilidh growing fast I'm sure.

Looking forward to seeing Newlands Park and catching up with you in February.

Season's Greetings,

Dave

Cheers Dave,

Hope you all have a great time too.

Looking forward to Glasgow too and will be good to see you then.

All the best

Mark

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Rannoch Moor will be on the road in August!

The layout is going to be at:-

St Andrews Model Railway Exhibition

Saturday 8th August 2015 - 10.00am to 17.30pm

Sunday 9th August 2015 - 10.30am to 17.00pm

St Andrews Town Hall

Queens Gardens

St Andrews

KY16 9TA

Details:- http://www.eastneukmrc.co.uk/2.html

Hopefully there will be some new, previously unseen, stock running on the layout as well as the usual wide variety of trains!

Remember it's busy in St Andrews that weekend as it's the local Lammas Fair as well!

http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/whatson/index.cfm?fuseaction=whatson.display&id=625DA901-B029-DDC2-C92E6087972CFE1F

Model Railways, good food, good beer - all at the same town!

Must be someones definition of heaven.....

Thanks

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind comments and Phil for all his Top PR work.

I'm looking forward to getting Rannoch out again this year to St Andrews and then Ayr in September. Since Arran came to take the photos it's been sat framed up ever since as other modelling projects have been worked on and my little girl takes up most of my time as well these days.

My thanks to Arran for taking the photos and Steve Flint for publishing it in this months Railway Modeller.

I will get some photos up when I get the layout up and running again soon

Hope to see you all at St Andrews show in a few weeks time.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed the article in RM ,hows the new layout I saw at Glasgow coming along looked good and the sound was great.

Hi LMS,

The new layout - Newlands Park will be out shortly......

It's the first of the Scottish Modellers group members layouts that are all designed to work with the common, flexible length, fiddleyard that we have built.

More on the Newlands Park outing as soon as it's confirmed...

Thanks

ps - The next layout to use these fiddleyard boards will be Modelrail Scotland 2016 - The anniversary event next February.

There are also some other possible new layout ideas that use the same boards.

Edited by Scottish Modeller
  • Like 1

Hi just been reading the article in the Modeller and enjoyed it very much, also some great pics.

I visited Rannoch Moor back in 1970 when I went up from Portsmouth for the Scottish Six Days Motor Cycle Trials and stayed there in an old Ford Thames Van, but I never saw the Station as I wasn't into Trains back then, but its such a desolate place.

Well done, a really nice Layout, at least you didn't get the flack I got for my Bus and Policeman's uniform after Glen Roy was in BRM, it was fine in RM and Model Rail and will be in Hornby Mag very soon.

I do have a love of nice simple Scottish Layouts.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We need a bit of help in sorting out one of Rannoch's features....

The Signalling signs and blue lights.

OK - the signs themselves are pretty easy and we have loads of spares printed up - just in case.

You know - the last minute track cleaning session - done in a hurry and maybe without the required amount of care!

The LED's themselves are fed off a DCC decoder light output.

They are far too bright though and we want to try and correct that.

How? Is the relevant question!

I had thought of the good old resistor bridge circuit to achieve this but this would load the DCC light output to over the 100ma it is rated for.

We need the DCC bit in place to give us the Blue Flashing LED as required for the signalling.

Any ideas about how to reduce the brightness (without getting to electronically involved?

Let us know - we have 4 weeks left to sort it out!

Thanks

Hi Mark (and Phil!),

Great to see Rannoch Moor in RM this month.  Will see if there's any chance of me making St Andrews next month.  If I do, I may be tempted to bring the new Observation Car with me - Andi completed it a couple of months ago, along with the remaining coaches for the Royal Scotsman, and I also picked up a crest for the end of the Observation Car from (Shawplan) Brian at Perth.

Edited by sixoh8sixoh

Phil, I think Jims idea about paint might work I am going to give that a try.

Hi Mike, would be fantastic if you made it up. Andi said he finished the observation car, its a bit long for the layout but it looks really good on it and I've the west coast 37's to haul it.

Thanks

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Rannoch is framed up ready to load tomorrow afternoon when I've finished work for its trip to St Andrews this weekend. Looking forward to taking it out again with the help of the operating crew from DEMU/Scottish Modellers. Hope to see you all there and stop by and say hello if you do make it this weekend.

The New Caledonian Sleeper set is fresh from the paintshop thanks to Colin and Mike at R3sprays and will hopefully get a run but will certainly be seen on the demo area where Phil can share his conversion techniques for creating the mark 2's. I have limited stock of the new transfers available at the show £7 for a single coach or £18 for triple pack if you fancy creating your own and for those who can't make it they are available direct from www.r3sprays.co.uk

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

Mark, great to see you at St Andrews yesterday - hope you and the layout have a good second day. Thanks for letting me run the coaches on the layout.

With apologies for the dodgy camera work, here's the (shortened - 6 coach) rake.

The layout is great and shows you don't need a huge space to pack in a lot of detail - even down to the bunk beds in the hostel part of the station building.

I need to add thanks to Andi Walshaw for all of the work on the carriages and Brian at Shawplan for the etched balcony and crest on the Observation Car.

Edited by sixoh8sixoh
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

As intimated before the show.....

Rannoch Moor had  a wide variety of new stock running across the weekend.

Not all at the same time though - just had to keep ringing the changes!

Apart from Mike's complete Royal Scotsman rake there were other developments in the coaching stock!

Edit - Content removed at request - apologies for this..

Thanks

ps - Rannoch Moor is next out at the Ayr MRG Exhibition

For details:-

here:- http://ayrmrg.co.uk/tag/ayr-model-rail-show-citadel-leisure-centre-ayr-19th-20th-september-2015/

and

here:- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99002-ayr-model-railway-exhibition-2015/

Edited by Scottish Modeller

• 6 months later...