Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

No news on this superb layout?

Hi Meanach,

Thanks for your kind comment about my layout. Following Its little trips out to St Andrews and Ayr last year its sat framed up for safe storage since then. Modelling time is certainly reduced with a 2 year old running about but I'm still working away at different projects. I have a K1 to add to the Rannoch fleet and support coach to go with it. Just need to wait for Charlie to do a K1 sound decoder for it. The support coach will be done following Micks (NewBryford) superb example he's already done.

I'm slowly working on a depot layout for a friend and also working on bits for my future planned layouts which will follow on from that.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since Rannoch has been run but today I had a good clear up and set it up again so I could run some of the new stock for it alongside many of the regular workings. A quick clean of the rails a little dusting and it's ready to go.

GBRF have taken over the Alcan workings and 66720 in its child livery adds a splash of colour as it heads North Bound at Rannoch. This loco was created for me by Colin and Mike at R3sprays with a nice bit of subtle weathering. It sounds good too thanks to Bif for his excellent 66 sounds which I fitted at Glasgow on the DEMU/Scots mods demo area.

post-6863-0-11099900-1462475262_thumb.jpeg

All the best,

Mark

• Like 11

Whilst 66720 sits waiting for the token to proceed DRS 37423 Spirit of the Lakes rumbles over the viaduct with a Southbound working of autoballasters following work on the Mallaig extension. As most of you know I'm a big fan of the DRS fleet and this loco was the handy work of Andi Walshaw of Cairnsroadworks fame. It's had a couple of upgrades with working lights fitted when these became available. It also thanks to Kev has a special sound programe that he created from recordings he made of the real loco so it sounds superb.

Hope you enjoy,

Mark

post-6863-0-51061900-1462485921_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

Hi Mark

Good to see you back posting.

How's the whirligig?

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Static! Lol

I had Eilidh playing earlier, when being held she can easily lean over the backscene, it was fine at first playing with a couple of cars and a Tractor that we bought to add to the layout she then tried to grab the Whirlygig, a dog and a chicken. She's actually pretty good and puts things back. I will add more when I get all the stock back on.

Hope all good with you

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

Great to see a few pic of the layout Mark. That class 37 is a beast.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, if I was clever enough to upload a video you could hear how good it is too thanks to Kev's recordings. I saw the real loco leaving Barrow last month so it's a bit favourite.

Cheers

Mark

Good to see you back Mark. Like your nice new loco's including one of my trusty steads, 66720.

Hope you are well.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus, glad you like them. I've got the tube map 66 ordered as I saw that when it was at Boness diesel gala so there is certainly a bit more colour about.

All good with me and hope you are too.

Mark

Fantastic picture !

Thanks, I will hopefully get a few more shots once everything is up and running smoothly.

Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

A quick visit to Rannoch before the rain came on saw 66111 crossing the viaduct heading North with the BP tanks to Fort William.

Renton still has a long wait for the train south to Glasgow as he reaches for his 3rd can of Tennants from his carry out! (Quite appropriate with Trainspotting 2 filming having started in Edinburgh this week)

A pleasant view up the lane from the open crossing heading back to the car.

I must also add my thanks to Gaugemaster, I only only went out to test my prodigy handset which had stopped working last week and after sending it to Gaugemaster on Tuesday it arrived back yesterday repaired. I've always recommended Gaugemaster prodigy when asked what DCC system I use and the aftercare service is outstanding as well.

Hope you like the photos and I'm off for trip behind Thomas!

Thanks

Mark

post-6863-0-05653700-1463830470.jpeg

post-6863-0-80943300-1463830525.jpeg

post-6863-0-23917400-1463830542.jpeg

• Like 8

Some fantastic photos, Mark. 66111 looks great on the viaduct.

May I ask what you used to make the can the chap has on the bench?

Cheers, George

Hi George,

The cans are simply very tiny bits of evergreen rod, I think they are just .5mm or 1mm at most diameter. They were dabbed with yellow paint. The ends with a bit of silver, and the large red T was done with an old brush that only had a couple of bristles left on it. The bag was a tiny bit of a Sainsburys carrier.

Hope that's of some use and thanks for the kind comments.

Mark

Hi everyone,

A few trains at Rannoch today.

First Scotrail 158 in the old Swoosh livery heads south across the viaduct on the approach to Rannoch station.

The cottage at the North end of the station.

67001 waits for a clear road with the Northbound sleeper and 66068 crosses its path with the bullets and vans from Corpach.

Thanks

Mark

post-6863-0-35091800-1464131281_thumb.jpeg

post-6863-0-47145500-1464131296_thumb.jpeg

post-6863-0-65144000-1464131311_thumb.jpeg

• Like 18

Hi everyone,

I was messing about with my phone camera and got these close up detail shots of the station chimney stacks. I copied photos of the real station and used wills sheets for the main structure, with then thin rows of bricks cut thinner to create the raise rows of bricks. A bit fiddly but helped to create the right look. One has its upper section built with newer smaller bricks with milliput tops and pots from plastic strip with thinner strip stuck round for the raised detail. Lead flashing was added using Tamiya masking tape cut into thin strips and painted with silver/oily steel coloured paint.

Thanks for looking

Mark

post-6863-0-28240500-1464376107_thumb.jpeg

post-6863-0-11269000-1464376121_thumb.jpeg

post-6863-0-25332400-1464376179_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I don't get as much modelling time as I would like and even less for updates on Rannoch. I have however found some time to complete another pair of OBA's for an engineers working with the faded Dutch one completed tonight. Both were done working to photos found online. The Dutch one based on a Paul Bartlett photo at Aberdeen as 110164 and EWS repaint 110102. Tops panels are from a Railtec pack with overhead flashes being a mix of Fox and R3Sprays that I had to hand. Both were railfreight red and grey models originally with rail match acrylics used for the repaints and weathering except for the EWS maroon from precision. Colin Craig's disk brakes have also been added which really enhance the models especially if left parked in sidings.

Hope you like them and thanks for taking a look,

Mark

post-6863-0-72365500-1468540550_thumb.jpeg

post-6863-0-07314500-1468540570_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

Good to see your determined to keep up with the modelling, Mark, despite your lack of time. I can tell you're struggling to find the time by your time of posting!

I like the OBAs. I quite fancy expanding my Dutch-liveried wagon fleet.

Cheers

Dave

Good to see your determined to keep up with the modelling, Mark, despite your lack of time. I can tell you're struggling to find the time by your time of posting!

I like the OBAs. I quite fancy expanding my Dutch-liveried wagon fleet.

Cheers

Dave

Even worst than that Dave the timing is out on here it was actually just after 1am!

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the kind comments and likes. Whilst doing the faded yellow for the OBA another wagon bashing project that has been on the go for at least 2 years is a pair of ZRA Breams. This is for a short engineers train for my future 90's project heading to Workington. Again Paul Bartletts photos were very useful with the pair based on ones photographed at Workington. The wagon is based around the Bachmann VDA under frame which required the buffer beams to be cut from the van body and glued in place and the spigots for the screws removed from the plastic wagon floor. Bullhead rail was then cut and glued to the wagon floor with 2 mm plastic strip added along the edge on both sides. Some have rail across and some have L angle from what I could work out. Brian at Shawplan does some nice chequer plate in thin brass which is cut into 2mm strips and glued onto the plastic strip. Some wagons also have a rectangular bit of plate above the floor positioned centrally at each end. These shots show the work in progress to help explain the work involved.

Thanks

Mark

post-6863-0-93497800-1468625309_thumb.jpeg

post-6863-0-45723200-1468625326_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Hi everyone,

This 90's bug has really caught hold at the moment, work on the 2 ZEA barriers has continued and are now all painted and decalled up. I'll need to add photos. As well as searching out photos, watching YouTube footage of trains in the Northwest back in the 90's and listening to some quality tunes of the time 37706 has passed through the workbench.

Thanks to Network Northwest day 25th April 1992, a week after my 12th Birthday, there are loads of photos and footage of the club train stock and freight locos in action. 37706 worked to Barrow and back from Manchester Victoria that day and Bachmann couldn't have picked a better loco to release. I have added detail to the front end, pipes etc and removed the small can front numbers and replaced with the larger central nose numbers using a Railtec sheet which it still had back then. Think it changed in July that year. Etched arrows and depot plaques have also been added and I just need a set of nameplates to finish when I see Brian at Shawplan again.

post-6863-0-76168100-1469143352_thumb.jpeg

Not for Rannoch but a future project once a depot is finished.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 9