Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the recent comments and likes. We all had a really great time at The Great Electric Train show thanks to Mike and all his team for putting on a great show. It was especially nice to sit and chat to so many visiting the show and fellow layout operators over the weekend. Fair number of RMwebbers and DEMU members came by and was great to see you all. It made the whole trip so worthwhile.

Not sure when Rannoch will be out again maybe not until 2020 as modelling time is limited.

Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark, 

Just thought I'd post some piccies of 47492, which has now been finished with a grubby roof as requested. I quite like the effect and looking through class47.co.uk, it seems it was a pretty common condition. I also repainted the driver based on a photo of a Haymarket driver from the 1980s which I found.

Hope you like it!

post-7247-0-68379600-1509125950_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-98106500-1509125952_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-67289000-1509125954_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year and perhaps Santa even brought you some new toys.

I’ve put Rannoch back up this week for the first time since it’s trip to The Great Electric Train show back in October and I think I’ve borrowed Dave’s Waverley time machine to go back to the 90’s. My 90’s stock is all for a new layout when work and time allows it to get built so don’t expect anything soon but at least I can run in and test everything (play) when things get done. I’m sure many of you will think this is an improvement over all those 66’s! There will be quite a bit of stuff you wouldn’t normally see at Rannoch but I hope you find something of interest as and when.

All the best

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , I always enjoy seeing this layout at shows. Is the little hut at the end of the platform ramp scratch built ?

Thanks for the kind comments.

The little hut is made from the Wills range. It’s the lamp hut twin pack. It is modified to match the real one so the large roof vent was hacked off and a file used to shape the grooves of the corrugated tin. The kit has a row of fire buckets and I can’t remember if this had to be cut and filed off or just left off the build.

Thanks

Mark

Morning hope you are okay good to see you at the Great Train show will you be at Glasgow it looks a good show and looking forward to my visit ,shame Rannoch wont be out much as its a great layout.Chris

Hi Chris,

All good with me and yes will be at Glasgow each day. We all enjoyed the trip to Gaydon, great exhibition in a really good venue. It was nice and busy too. It’s just a lack of time that’s stopping me taking the layout out. I try and squeeze in some modelling but time is limited. It will just take me a bit longer to start my new layout once a couple of projects are out the way first. Rannoch will probably go back to Glasgow at some point with the group.

Hopefully see you at Glasgow

All the best

Mark

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

A Decade of Rannoch on RMweb!

This year Rannoch has been on RMweb for 10 years, scary I know! I was still in my twenties when I started the build and turned 39 this year. Had no kids and daughter number 3 arrived last Friday. 

Tonight I’ve cleaned the track, given it a quick dust and put some stock out to recreate the original vision of 2005/6. A time when 37’s still worked the line, 67’s were on test runs ready to take over the sleeper and a good variety of freight still ran.

I haven’t had much time to just play trains for a while now so it was good to run a few tonight. I started off with 37416 in its debranded Royal Scotsman livery on the sleeper. I saw the loco at Waverley one morning when the Fort Bill portion had failed to run. The model was superbly recreated by Andi Walshaw and has Bifs sounds added. It’s taken many years but thanks to Charlie and Arran with their 156 I can finally capture the images I’ve seen so many times on Flickr of the sleeper and a 156 passing at Rannoch.

Hope you like the photos and thanks for looking.

All the best

Mark

D6C74B89-8862-44DC-BA6E-7A6CEF3D67AF.jpeg

BA214B74-4352-4FF6-8DB8-3C75167F8428.jpeg

3801D97B-6776-499B-BE9F-07CD946B11E2.jpeg

Edited by MRDBLUE17
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Mark,

Many congratulations on arrival of daughter no. 3! You're definitely a glutton for punishment. I decided two daughters was enough. Is Eilidh still into trains and 37s in particular?

Great to see some pics of Rannoch again. It's scary when you think back to when you started a layout. I started working on Waverley West back in 2002. At the time, I was only modelling a period 10-20 years earlier. Now, that's become the best part of 30-40 years ago. That's a scarily long time ago, to the point of being historical. :o

Looking forward to catching up in Barrow, assuming you're still allowed out of the house to play trains that is!

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, yes your right with 3 girls I’m going to need a few train weekends away in the future! Don’t worry will certainly see you at Barrow. 

Hi Chris, many thanks and don’t worry it wasn’t 10 years ago you first saw the layout in person it was only 2013 at Glasgow (I think, will need to check the plaques). Glad you still like it, it’s held up fairly well over the years.

This was the first time I’ve used it in

a long time. I discovered one small fault where a fishplate must have become dirty inside as it created an insulated gap on the point at the north end just as you come off the viaduct. This was a quick fix using solder paint in and around the joint/rail gap and everything is back to normal. 

I discovered a photo of a 67 working a pair of Super BG’s and a Super Guv as a test load back in 2006 and after finding a GUV for £8 on eBay to add to a pair of BG’s so I’ve got a new train to weather and detail and the engineers set behind 37406 has seen an ex Transrail branded OCA from a Cambrian kit added to make this up to 10. 

Thanks

Mark

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

By strange coincidence since my last post Rannoch will now make its first show appearance in almost 2 years at St Andrews this August as stand in for Keith’s excellent Bere Banks.

A few shots of the layout, the 67 is on a test working using what was by then redundant Parcels stock which worked up the line in 2006. Interestingly GBRF did something similar several years later ahead of taking over the Alcan workings with a pair of 325 EMU’s

Hopefully see some of you at St Andrews this Summer!

All the best

Mark

C07850CB-720E-424A-A6CB-7DD40902F453.jpeg

265411DB-D479-4D37-99A1-0CDBED114316.jpeg

FFC48638-8E31-4014-8564-3940E41E863E.jpeg

• Like 15

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the Likes/Comments. Somehow managed to get a pass out to attend Perth exhibition at the weekend with the rest of the Scottish Modellers crew. The demo area was packed both days as we all try and attend Perth as it’s an excellent show put on by Stan and the team. I did have to bring Eilidh Saturday but she really enjoyed it - interesting to see a show from a 5 year olds viewpoint! She said she’s going to help operate at St Andrews too.

A new addition to the Rannoch schedule is the Network Rail Radio Survey train. Top and tailed with a pair of DRS 37’s it adds a nice bit of colour. I’d seen this working in issues of Rail Express a few years back and had them recreated for me which were collected at Perth. 

Thanks

Mark

5DFF1C06-20B7-4CDD-B89A-400302C73A59.jpeg

8CE9A519-52E3-4F22-856E-20B55835DD92.jpeg

1706E714-9F8F-43AD-A333-62901CC22D33.jpeg

• Like 9

Hello everyone, 

I’ve been having a play today and that included taking a few close up shots around the station to give you a few different views.

First a couple of drone shots of the cottage gardens,

83143923-94F1-4545-A759-92C64C58C4E6.jpeg.ed2f40597a3f0ee4fe5496aacae891ad.jpeg

9EF9ECBF-BB3A-43B6-A306-861D013C858B.jpeg.b6501837ac5d96153ac316a244d9a158.jpeg

Thanks

Mark

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

Hi everyone, 

Here are a few more views around the station.

The general view you see from the front.

0E8AB696-0A40-42BC-9DD2-D2AEC9BE9F6C.jpeg.47c1a0412d13e5a69838a8d7ea41e917.jpeg

The drinking traveller, complete with “carry oot” of Tennents! 

BD34B9E0-4D83-42F2-94FE-540599E52AD9.jpeg.4864407da828a0b7eb67d1004f727094.jpeg

Close set up of the old signal box, you can just make out the lever frame and bell box to the right hand side next to the door.

DD211FBA-0E7D-435D-A095-B467EB542280.jpeg.0d58b6b7da19edc610db0bbd25d5e05c.jpeg

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Mark,

are you you going to model rail Scotland this year?  I’m planning to go on the Sunday.  I built my baseboards years ago and never got any further but I’ve taken interest again and have had a major rethink of what I’m doing. Lol 

Craig