Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Thanks for the comments everyone, Clive I am glad ou like my layout and that you have found it on here again - work is busy at this time of year and not enough time for modelling but the tasklist is getting ever longer. Andi - stop tempting with ideas - I would like a charter rake possibly a nice West Coast formation but need to choose the vehicles carefully - this will wait unitl the layout is finished or I will never get anything done - The DRS 20 has already distracted me enough from modelling and has been happily hauling my 13 wagon rake of empty spoil around Rannoch since it arrived!

Thanks,

Mark

The weekend has ended up being a bit costly but in a good way. I visited the Trains shop in Morecambe on Friday where I collected my bright red DB 66 152 which Richard had kept for me. This has had a 21 pin decoder fitted and has already been spotted at Rannoch with the Fort William to Mossend Alcan train to add a burst of colour to the landscape!

post-6863-12609172159232_thumb.jpg

I also went to Wigan show on the Saturday and ended up adding a short rake of 6 black BP bogie tanks to my stock roster. I really like these Bachmann wagons and couldn't resist getting them out for a run round Rannoch - I think my future layout will need to take at least a rake of 12 for one of my 60's to tug! Thought you might like to see them in about to enter the station loop heading south.

post-6863-12609171278836_thumb.jpg

Will need to get some modelling done but with work being really busy at the moment - the joys of retail at christmas combined with some youths nearly setting the rear of the building alight on Sunday it its nice to come in of an evening and watch a few trains go by!

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

You're tempting me with those bogie tanks. I've fancied a rake of those ever since they came out. Think they'd look nice with a grid on the front!

I've not been making much progress either recently. Think it must be the time of year. My enthusiasm levels have been a bit low recently for various reasons (neighbour problems mainly). It's not that I don't want to do it, it's just that I don't seem to find the energy to get round and do it. I guess we all go through these phases.

Looking forward to seeing some more progress from you when you find the time. What you've done so far is superb.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 1

Hi Mark

Hope your proposed challenge 2010 project, wont stop the completion of this one, it's looking good. Can't say I'm a big fan of anything DRS, EWS,or DBS liveried, i remember the West Highland in Large Logo days. Anyone for 37408 on the viaduct?.

Just chucked the other half off ? facebook for long enough for me to upload a gallery of photos from, Bridge of Orchy and Tydrum, hope they are some use.

Keep up the good modeling.

Gary

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

John I have seen your request for info on the DBS 37's but I don't know enough about them except they keep failing except 401 and I saw 425 was back as well but for how long who knows. I will get some photos of my 406 at some point when I get time - it is not finished yet as needs to be weathered and I am also needing to get 1 small westie as the photos I have found on the net show it had one added to one side only in its last year or so of operation. You need to add some extra lamp irons to the nose ends and I will take a look at what I used and share with you. This is a shot I found on Flickr for my research hope it helps you for now. http://flickr.com/photos/rob50037/2726144356/

Dave - those tanks run so smoothly you really should get some they would look awesome on your layout! I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your neighbour hope you get things sorted. Looking forward to seeing your layout in Model Rail!

Gary - those photos are superb - there are some really nice detail shots which will actually help me quite a lot. I just don't have any time to do much and don't worry this layout will get complete - I have already put too many hours and money into it to not to get it finished. I'm sorry you don't like my choice of rolling stock! - I have seen some shots on the net of the LL days and I must say it does tempt me - the variety of freight stock is also good! One day you could always bring your blue machines up for a running session!

Thanks,

Mark

cheers for the reply mark, ye DBS 37's seem to be a pain to keep track off, i had noticed that 406 has extra lamp brackets, i was thinking of glueing the lamp brackets that came with the older version 37419 onto the nose hopefully this will do the job once they have been painted white B) im using the latest chassis from the Petroleum 37428 as it has the new screwlink coupling and is 21pin chip so easy for sound fitment :) but i will be using the usual 411 body as a base.

wish u all the best with your layout progress, its looking brilliant so far i especially liked the bridge detail ;)

Hi Everyone,

Have been doing my best to clear up and tidy my train room a bit before christmas - main reason was running out of space on my shelves for new models. I have done the sensible thing and removed quite a lot from my layout as well to stop me from just running trains. This has also allowed me to make progress with the storage roads board. Following my redesign of this to allow more trains to be on the layout at any one time and testing of clearances of these (thats the technical excuse to play!) I have been able to get the base layer of cork down and also add the copper clad sleepers at the ends of the board. I have also prepared the point motors with wires and cut out sleepers and the dropper wires ready for soldering on when I get the chance. Also need to get the holes drilled for the droppers and the holes cut out for the point motors. But this will all be able to be fitted in to my next free day off and then I can focus on the complete wire up for DCC operation! Here are a few quick shots of the progress up to date.

post-6863-12615990293965_thumb.jpg

post-6863-12615990469189_thumb.jpg

post-6863-12615990658408_thumb.jpg

post-6863-12615990843629_thumb.jpg

I would like to thank you all for your kind comments, support and encouragement with this project so far over the last year and wish you all a very Merry Christmas!

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

And A Very Merry Christimas to You Too, Mark.

You should be able to fit a nice variety of stock in those storage roads. The lack of a true fiddle yard is one of the biggest restrictions on Waverley West's operations I think. I have some vague and ambitious ideas floating around in my head about a spiral and a second layer, but that is as far as it has got so far. Something to think about for the future perhaps.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on Rannoch Moor next year!!

Season's Greetings,

Dave

Waverley West

I noticed you got one of the Hornby 156's in scotrail ;) are they any good and worth buying 1? just ive read a few reviews of them and they dont seem to up to the same spec as the newest Hornby models? personally i think they look nice, could do with a Obstacle deflector though like the 153 has B)

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year to you all too!

Magic Monkey - the 156 is basically the same old lima model but with Hornbys new motor bogie. It is very responsive and will go faster than anything else I own! It is a bit crude by todays standards - mainly the underframe area but the body shell is pretty good and was always one of Limas better models anyway. Hurst do a conversion kit to detail it to current standards but it seems to be out of stock as I want a couple for my 156's. Have a look about for one as you will probably be able to pick one up for around ??50 brand new. It does need ploughs on the front but the hurst kit does have some cast ones with it so would be worth a look at doing!

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I just realised how little I have done on Rannoch of late, side tracked by my project layout and I kind of feel bad for not getting on with it. I had a lot going on in January with changing jobs and having to buy a car but now I am settling back into a normalish routine I have some to time to model again. With no updates for over a month I thought I would share a time warped visiter to Rannoch. I saw a hand painted version of this loco in the Bachmann stand display cases at Wigan show and thought it was a preview of what would be out in the main range this year having not seen this one advertised as a planned limited edition so my suprise when checking their site to find you could directly order from them 47 975 in Dutch livery. I ordered very late on the Thursday evening and it was with by Monday evening in fact it got delivered by DHL at 8:30 pm which makes a nice change as I was in from work to get it! Brilliant service from Bachmann! Anyway I visited the class 47 gallery site and got some pricture of it to aid in fitting the extra parts and have also added the from a Heljan sprue some multiple working sockets painted orange which I did at the same time as the ETH plug under the left hand buffer and I also cut out the buffer beam steps and glued these in place. Couldn't work out how to fit the extra brake connections on the bogies at first but after checking my DRS 57 I found these went on the top at each end with the thinner edge facing outwards and they do make a subtle difference. It is still rather clean at the moment but I may change this in the future. It runs very smoothly and quiet after running in and even with the tight curves on Rannoch is quite happy hauling this very long empty engineers train with 13 x 4 wheelers, a shark and 8 seacows in tow. The view down the layout also gives an idea as to how the scene will look looking towards the footbridge (when I get round to building it) with all the main buildings for the station now well under way or nearly built.

post-6863-12656740438138_thumb.jpg

47975 caught in the fading evening light waiting to head North to Fort William from Rannoch

post-6863-12656740648288_thumb.jpg

With the light fading 47975 starts its heavy train from Rannoch, you can hear the distinctive roar of the big brush shattering the peace for miles on the still evening air

post-6863-12656740849_thumb.jpg

post-6863-12656741054238_thumb.jpg

Anyway hope you like it so far and I will try and keep the posts coming!

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

The layout is looking good as is that Dutch 47. I am waiting for the Large logo and Inter-City locos to arrive, just need to save some money.biggrin.gif

I posted a pic on my layout thread of the 26 & 31 on the Barrow train we were talking about.

Hope the new job is going well.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments - you must have been adding that to my thread as I was catching up with yours! New job is going well - still with the same company just in a new store but no longer commute by train over the Forth every day!

Mark

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments - you must have been adding that to my thread as I was catching up with yours! New job is going well - still with the same company just in a new store but no longer commute by train over the Forth every day!

Mark

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif And you were replying to me when I was replying to you.

I have a pic of 975 if its any use to you.

Cheers Peter,

• RMweb Gold

Mark,

Really impressed with my "namesake" layout, especially the station building. Are the etches for the windows available commercailly at all? They would really suit a future West Highland based project I have in mind (should I ever get Kilbrannan Ferry finished - your progress is speedy compared to mine!) :unsure:

Gus

• Like 1

Hi there

Rannoch moor is a really impressive layout,the scratchbuilding work is really good and one thing that it good about modern image scottish modelling is you can combine scenery with heavy freight trains as well as passenger trains as EWSs enterpise network has brought more interesting freights over the Highland lines.Keep the pictures coming! B)

Very,Very well done,suberb!

An EWS BR large logo 37 ie 37425 would be a good link with the past! ;) :)

Kind Regards

Lewis.

• RMweb Gold

Hey Mark,

Nice to see another post from this thread.

These photos demonstrate how powerful a simple trackplan with a train threading its way through the landscape can be.

Can't wait to see it finished...no pressure of course ;)

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the kind comments - progress has been slow of late, not because of any loss of interest but just lack of time to spend getting into the detail I want to - I am working on finishing the last 2 of my BP tanks - 4 were completed a while back with 2 remaining in prgress - I should get these done by the end of the week and will have some photos then.

Lewis - I have a few 37's for Rannoch including 37 401 in battered Royal Scotsman livery, 37 422, 37 406 both EWS, 37 411 in Green and WCRC 37676. 37 670 in DB will be joining my fleet at some point soon but sadly no 425 which is a shame as I quite like it in its current condition with yellow patch paint and horns moved to the bonnet top! Being able to run 37's was a factor in building the WHL espically on some interesting freight workings!

Gus - the etches were a comission from Pete Harvey - see his advert PH designs that flashes up on the site for his contact details as the etch I got should contain everything you need and he will probably have a file with it all drawn out on so you should be able to get some from him - they really were worth doing and if you want any close up shots let me know and I will take some for you and post on here. Let me know how you get on.

Pete - Glad to see you are still following - it might take some time before it is finished - if you ever get up to Scotland you must let me know and come and have a play! ( I mean serious running session of course!)

Thanks,

Mark