Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Hi Everyone,

Since Ayr show not much to report as working away has meant the layout is still in its transport frames ready for loading on Friday for its 200 mile trip down to Barrow and a return to my old sixth form college! The Furness Model Railway Club show is on the 13th and 14th October 10-17.00 both days.

The good news is that the release of the Hornby 67 in EWS livery was just in time and I collected mine from Richard at the Train Shop in Morecambe a week ago on my way back North from work. I have just collected my sound decoder today from the post office depot with Legomanbiffo's updated class 67 sounds for the V4 that Ian has sorted out for me very quickly ready for the show. Will get that installed Monday evening ready for the show and looking forward to it. Another GM machine in service for Kev to play with next weekend!

Hope to see some of you there next weekend and please come and say hello.

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark

What a terrific layout this has turned out to be, first class. I was up that way last week, and stood in my favourite spot, at the top of County March, dreaming of what had gone before. Congrats to the invite to Model rail Scotland, I just might pop up for a look.

Gary

PS i agree with Kevpeo!

• Like 1

Rannoch Moor has arrived safely in Barrow and was well worth the wait! All is now working in readiness for tomorrow, after Mark ''borrowed'' Loch Dour's Lenz Set100. At least I'll know how the controller works now! :imsohappy: Kev.

• Like 1

And not a ''shed'' in sight. The opportunity was missed on Saturday afternoon to photograph me driving two of the dratted things! Was it you Dave driving with your daughter? Kev.

Hi Kev,

Yep, it was us. Actually it was Helena mostly. Most of the time, I was only allowed to set it up for her. She did pretty well though I thought. She's a very cautious driver.

Only 2 minor SPADs and we both claim they were down to something that happened with the Lenz system! That's what we're going to claim in the RAIB investigation anyway. :yes:

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

That's Rannoch survived its second show and my thanks to all at the Furness Club for the invite and hospitality over the weekend. Being from Barrow it's a show I have been going to since the mid 80's from about age 5 onwards and I never thought I would get around to exhibiting my own layout there! Especially given the quality of layouts that attend. It was nice to meet some new faces and catch up with old friends too!

Dave - thanks for operating on Sunday with Helena great to see you again and the photos are excellent. It does look good with Kev's stock running and sounded good too!

Thanks to Kev as well for the use of his Lenz set as my controller decided to fail at set up!

Rannoch is staying packed up for now until January when it will get prepared for Glasgow. Thanks Gary and Lms for the messages and hope to see you all then if not before!

Thanks

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Things are a bit quiet on the Rannoch front with being away so much. First I wanted to say a big thanks to the team at Gaugemaster. When I set up my layout at Barrow all was well except for my control system had decided not to drive anything. After the show I phoned them about the issue and they asked me to send it to them about a week later it was returned in full working order. I found their service to be exceptional and wanted to share this with you. The layout is still framed up and probably will be until January when it will get set up again for some further detailing before Glasgow.

In the mean time I have decided to model some yellow BR lorries from an earlier time. This image is a Dodge tipper on a SWB chassis. The body is scratch built from plastic card and strip and sits on a RTI chassis and cab. This week I will make a start on the Leyland cab and crew bus body. This again from RTI parts. These will eventually sit on my future layout in its 1992 period but this won't happen for a while yet.

Hope you like it,

All the best

Mark

post-6863-0-15602000-1352674700_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Not much to report from Rannoch lately as the layout is still stored but not much longer until I will be back home and able to set it up to work on ready for Glasgow in feb. After a bit of a pre christmas clear out on ebay of older items I have treated myself to another 37 in the form of Kernows ltd edition 37521 and thanks to Charlie at DC kits and Bifs sound recordings will be sound fitted and in service soon. My other 158 is also getting Bifs sounds added as well as it captures the way the Scottish units get thrashed perfectly. Hopefully new updates will start to appear again soon.

Thanks for all the comments and for looking in on here throughout the year. Thanks to both the Ayr and Barrow clubs for pushing me on to get the layout ready and for inviting me to their shows this year. It has been good to meet many of you and hopefully will see you all again at Glasgow in Feb.

Have a Merry Christmas and hope Santa brings you some new trains!

Thanks

Mark

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here you go Mark -

attachicon.gifimg022.jpg

37 406 & 430 at Rannoch. You may get a couple of details out of it! Kev.

Hi Kev,

There are words to describe you and your actions on this posting....

Then - words defy a description!

As if Mark has not got enough to sort out before the show...

Then you give him another challenge?

So -

Will this combination of locos and working appear at Glasgow?

You will have to attend to find out.....

www.modlerail-scotland.co.uk for more details!

Thanks

ps - stop giving hints/suggestions what we might/might not be working on!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Superb Mark! I do hope it makes it to Warley eventually as that's about as far north as I seem to get to shows.

Mind you with Garys Glenuig and this it'd be expensive as I'm bound to buy more 37's ;)

• Like 1

Superb Mark! I do hope it makes it to Warley eventually as that's about as far north as I seem to get to shows.

Mind you with Garys Glenuig and this it'd be expensive as I'm bound to buy more 37's ;)

Realy hard to shake off the 37 bugg,i to just cant stop buying Bachmann 37"s.....
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the comments, glad you like the layout class 66 hopefully will get some more pictures in the next couple of weeks. Paul if you can make Showcase at Burton in July you can see it there, that will probably be the furthest south I will be heading any time soon. You can never have too many 37's although I do have far more than I need on the layout already!

That's the first chance today of adding more detail to the layout, I have added more gravel to enhance the stream in the valley as it was a bit patchy in places and not banked enough in others. The board joint has also had ballast added to hopefully improve the levels around the front sidings.

I have also added the bolted rails onto the sleepers at the far end of the viaduct to replicate the expansion gap in the track at this point.

Thanks to Kev's photo I am off to plant a pallet, and add the yellow and white flowers in the garden! I need to also add a bush at the line side.

My detailing jobs list is also written out so hopefully most items will be ready for Glasgow! Phil you can check on progress on Sunday all being well!

Thanks

Mark

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments, glad you like the layout class 66 hopefully will get some more pictures in the next couple of weeks. Paul if you can make Showcase at Burton in July you can see it there, that will probably be the furthest south I will be heading any time soon. You can never have too many 37's although I do have far more than I need on the layout already!

That's the first chance today of adding more detail to the layout, I have added more gravel to enhance the stream in the valley as it was a bit patchy in places and not banked enough in others. The board joint has also had ballast added to hopefully improve the levels around the front sidings.

I have also added the bolted rails onto the sleepers at the far end of the viaduct to replicate the expansion gap in the track at this point.

Thanks to Kev's photo I am off to plant a pallet, and add the yellow and white flowers in the garden! I need to also add a bush at the line side.

My detailing jobs list is also written out so hopefully most items will be ready for Glasgow! Phil you can check on progress on Sunday all being well!

Thanks

Mark

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

Never mind pebbles in the stream. Is the Whirly gig working, Yet? :secret:

Disappointed of Ayr 

• Like 1

Is the Whirly Gig working yet?

Disappointed of Ayr

Looks in box of electronics bits, spots small motor, strokes beard and ponders - don't give me ideas like that!

What speed do we want gentle lowland breeze, highland hoolie or gale force?

For those not familiar with the celtic tongue - http://www.waywordradio.org/blow_a_hoolie/

Andy 8)

Thanks Andy and aka Dissapointed of Ayr! Gillian has added that to the jobs list! She wants a fence as well above the valley! The garden has all its flowering weeds, nettles, pallet and more grass tufts added as in Kev's photo above.

Cheers

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I have been busy cracking on with all the little details that blend into the scene. Here are a few not so perfect close ups taken on my phone that give you an idea of the type of thing I've been working on. I have also fitted Howes sound to my Black 5 which is rather nice and adds a bit more variety amongst the GM's, 37's and units!

I have added a fence along the top of the steep slopes - wodden posts from cocktail sticks cut down and painted, cotton for the wire and a metal barbed wire at the top. The style at the end is made from tiny wood planks from a billings boat kit and short posts again from cocktail sticks.

post-6863-0-64904400-1359144101.jpg

post-6863-0-92374600-1359144113.jpg

The front sidings have had a lot more vegetation added, more static grass, flowering weeds and a few lazer cut minis from Noch.

post-6863-0-32895300-1359144165.jpg

Thanks to Kev's photo the cottage garden and lineside section have now been completed with grass, weeds, a pallet and some small bushes along the lineside.

post-6863-0-37286200-1359144225.jpg

post-6863-0-58809700-1359144253.jpg

The front section has had a scenery refresh to see what difference could be made in front of the station area with brambles added and the ground cover raised with more scatter materials. I will be adding a bit more towards the viaduct as a result as it does look better.

post-6863-0-38090100-1359144293.jpg

Again working from photos I have found some other little details to model. The lane down and over the wooden crossing has had a bit more grass, cow parsley and ferns added to it. There is now also a metal bar fence made from plastic strip round bars strip bracing and U channel at the ends. It also features the sliding bolt on the right hand side from tiny metal wire. There is a kissing gate in a similar style which also has a spring modelled which holds it shut in one position with wire fencing to create the gap around this. The rusty rails had ends painted blue and red as per a photo so have been added too.

post-6863-0-63733000-1359144355.jpg

Hope you like the progress so far please feel free to add any comments/ask questions.

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 16

Hi Mark,

Great pics, the layout is looking superb, all those extra little details really make a difference.

What number is your Black 5? We went for a day out on the Jacobite when we were over last year. There are a  couple of pics on my Flickr site.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1