Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Do you have any photos from your 80s running session? Every time I visit your thread I straight away think of 37/4s on a short rake of Mk2s!

Hi folks,

In a belated response to Alex's request, here are few shots of the 80s running session at Glasgow earlier this year. Apologies for the quality of some of the shots. I had a smudge on my lens which I didn't spot until I got home. That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it.

For me, this first shot sums up why Rannoch Moor is such a bad representation of the West Highlands. Blue skies and little white puffy clouds, I mean, really??!! Never mind the brightness of the signals, bring out those thick, dense, dark stratus clouds for that true West Highland touch.  :laugh:  

post-7247-0-83504400-1371114238_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-13538800-1371114111_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-63944000-1371114132_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-94797000-1371114061_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-78088100-1371114081_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-87868100-1371114209_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-00681100-1371114165_thumb.jpg

Good to see the latest photos, Mark. Very nice! I love the guy on the station bench. 

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 16

Hi Mark, love the layout....enhanced by those 80s tractors that Waverley West has posted! Do you have any more bookings as would love to see this in the flesh. DEMU showcase is out for me sadly as I'l be putting in a 3 day shift volunteering on 1:1 scale stuff at the ELR diesel gala that weekend!

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark, love the layout....enhanced by those 80s tractors that Waverley West has posted! Do you have any more bookings as would love to see this in the flesh. DEMU showcase is out for me sadly as I'l be putting in a 3 day shift volunteering on 1:1 scale stuff at the ELR diesel gala that weekend!

Dave

Hi Dave I made it to the East Lancs a couple of years back and it was an excellent day out. Not sure when I will have chance to show the layout again yet after showcase but it will probably be sometime next year.

Mark

Dave,

Fantastic photos from Barrow with Kev's Loch Dour fleet in action, the smudge somehow makes them look even more period and thanks for posting them as it does look nice with the LL blue tractors in action.

Don't know what you mean about the weather its always like that up here! Lol

Hope all is well with you

Thanks

Mark

Hi everyone,

Large logo 37425 was spotted at Rannoch today. Its been in the fleet a while but realised tonight that it needed a few extra details adding before showcase. Its had full pipe work added to the front end along with a newer one piece plough from Bachmann. This is glued to the chassis and requires the socket cutting off the back and the bogie frame has had a bit of plastic that the couplings went in cut back flush so the bogie can turn freely behind the plough. I also noticed the handrails on the cab doors needed to be white. The plastic roof horns have been drilled out which helps to improve the look of them and the larger one has been painted in EWS maroon as the real thing had this around 2011.

post-6863-0-85940100-1372026704_thumb.jpg

Hope you like it and questions comments always welcome.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Rannoch is all framed up, stock packed, the units have been weathered (still no 156 in service) and its sat on the landing ready to load Friday morning for the trip down to DEMU Showcase in Burton on Trent this weekend. Hope to see many of you there as the line up of layouts is superb, looking forward to seeing Banbury again and Coppell as well as the rest I've not seen before. Its also likely to be the furthest south Rannoch will make for a while.

Come and say hello if you are at the show

Thanks

Mark

post-6863-0-45454400-1372892220_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mark, have a good show this weekend, If I can get along I will come and say hello.

All the best Andy

P.S. I keep trying to get my Glen Roy into DEMU but with no joy, and I only live 4 miles up the road, I would do it for the cost of a couple of Burgers, hahaaaa

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Hope you have a good show, some friends of mine normally go up from my old club so I am sure I will hear how good it was. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Mark

I saw your superb layout at the DEMU on Saturday (6 July). Unfortunately I was unable to speak to you mainly to congratulate you on such a fantastic representation of "scotland" in your layout. I am currently half way through trying to create my own part of the highlands. Rannoch is such an inspiration and I am sure your scenic techniques will be of a great help to me.

I did wish to ask you about the 'Stop' signs and the blue LEDs..

Being a dummy from England can you explain how do the prototype signals work? What is the size of the model stop sign ?

Being a total dummy where electronics are concerned, how do you wire the blue LEDs and how do you control these LEDs to change from illumination to flashing, and vice versa.

I took loads of photos at Burton but would love to see your layout again. What is your exhibition Diary for 2013. Look forward to meeting you if I can.

Thanks Mick.

Hi Mark, I came by a couple of time yesterday but you were very busy so I didn't stop to interupt you but I was impressed with the layout and your operating of it, I too loved the Blue flashing stop lights, these are not often modelled and it was good to see them.

All the best Andy.

Edited by Andrew P

Thanks Andy and Mick for your very kind comments. The layout was well received at the show which really makes it worthwhile, showcase is such a freindly show where you can get up close to layouts and I really don't know where all the time went. Feel free to add any photos you took on here too its always nice to see as I never took any myself.

The stop boards are in fact quite simple to do although it did take me well over a year to actually sit down and think it through after I was given some ideas and advice from fellow DEMU members on the forum. The construction is very simple with two brass rods stuck into the layout right through the board top. A blue LED was soldered across these noting the +ve side. These were painted a silvery metal shade to be more in keeping. I'm afraid I don't know the size the boards should be but the signs were made by Phil Holman and he made them up and fitted during the first show at Ayr.

To make them work is actually much simpler than you might think as it is controlled using a 4 function opti decoder from Gaugemaster. This is wired into the DCC bus under the layout using your normal power in and out wires. I will get around to adding a photo at some point to make this clearer. The outputs are then wired quite simply to the LED almost the same as you might in a loco. The Blue common +ve feeds a wire to each end if the layout on one leg of the stop boards. The two boards at each end are joined as the real things work together. Next take the yellow output wire from the decoder and say the green wire these are soldered together with a single wire running to the other leg at one end of the layout and then fed to a post on each board. The same is done at the other end but linking the white and purple wire to creat a single run to feed the other posts. I will need to dig out the CV setting I used but the Gaugemaster instructions online were easy to follow as what you end up with is a solid light and flashing function on F1 and F4 at one end and then F3 and F5 at the other. The decoder is set as 999 so I remember the blue lights and you switch on the four function outputs. To operate you turn off F1 at the North end and the lights will flash as F4 is set underneath in a flash mode. Turn F1 back on and you only see a solid light. The same works at the other end by switching F3 on and off and back on.

When I get chance I will photo the layout under the boards as a lot of people do ask about them.

Thanks

Mark

A good weekend was had operating Rannoch at Showcase.  There certainly seemed to be large crowds throughout the weekend who looked to enjoy the layout.

Sunday afternoon was a little quieter which gave me the chance to record the following videos amongst others:

(Watch in 1080p)

http://youtu.be/J6oPIuAv0a8

http://youtu.be/tezgN9F3ArY

Cheers

Martin

• Like 1

Gotta say I really nice layout! Was good to see it for the second time.

And thank you for running 47792 'Robin Hood' for me! Has to be my favourite engine, saw it at Crewe a lot of times but you didn't half have fun stopping it!

I enjoyed watching it

I thoroughly enjoyed DEMU on Sunday and the undoubted highlight was being unleashed on Rannoch Moor for the first time. I can only apologise to those who witnessed my poor operating skills!!!

I did however get time to take a few photos of the layout, as seen below.

post-7239-0-97015300-1373410350_thumb.jpg

post-7239-0-12139000-1373410352_thumb.jpg

post-7239-0-09875100-1373410353_thumb.jpg

post-7239-0-92296800-1373410353_thumb.jpg

post-7239-0-91167900-1373410354_thumb.jpg

post-7239-0-01154100-1373410356_thumb.jpg

post-7239-0-15015200-1373410358_thumb.jpg

post-7239-0-95387200-1373410358_thumb.jpg

post-7239-0-50501800-1373410359_thumb.jpg

post-7239-0-52036800-1373410360_thumb.jpg

post-7239-0-83932900-1373410414_thumb.jpg

post-7239-0-60100400-1373410415_thumb.jpg

Its a wonderful layout with superb attention to detail. Can highlight recommend it!

Cheers,

Andi.

• Like 4

Andi, the Royal Scotsman coaches look fabulous. Looking forward to seeing them in the flesh on Sunday when I pick them up from Mark.

Mark - open offer - if you ever want to borrow the rake for future Rannoch exhibitions, just ask and I'll drop it in!

Yep, those coaches really do look the bee's knees and they look very at home on Rannoch too. Clearly a bit of a squeeze to get them into the loop though!

I saw the full-size Scotsman rake at Aviemore a few weeks back and had just started working my way down the train to take some pics of each coach to post on here when it moved off after waiting for a 66 to pass through. Humph.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave, I took a large number of pics of the rake about 3 years back (though one of the coaches, the ex-LNER one has now been replaced by a Mk2 Pullman, Andi tells me).

Andi's still got the Observation Car on his workbench and I'm really looking forward to seeing the results!

Dave, I took a large number of pics of the rake about 3 years back (though one of the coaches, the ex-LNER one has now been replaced by a Mk2 Pullman, Andi tells me).

Andi's still got the Observation Car on his workbench and I'm really looking forward to seeing the results!

That observation car should be quite something judging by the other coaches, Mike. Pics when you're ready, please!

Cheers,

Dave