Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry I missed the previous posts until now.

Rannoch has just returned from a very enjoyable 3 days at Model Rail Scotland at the SEC. Thanks to Ian for selecting the layout for this year and indeed for all involved in putting on a fantastic show with a high standard of layouts.

I chose to stick to the earlier era around 2005-7 ish which meant plenty of battered EWS 37’s in action. I’m still amazed at the interest and comments I get about my little train set at shows and it was great to see so many RMwebbers in person. 

Rannoch has now gained a key missing item for the platform thanks to Ray. Ray from our group who took part in the scratch build challenge to build an item to put on a layout. TV celebrity Steve Flint aka Stern Steve and Archie Brown AMRSS chair judged Ray as the winner for his model of the statue of Renton at the platform end.

Mark from Hornby Magazine was guest operator on Friday and nice to meet Richard who spent time filming so hopefully those not able to attend can still see some trains in action soon.

Rannoch will be appearing at Bonnybridge at the end of April 25/26th. 

Thanks

Mark

BC709566-8343-4230-9E9A-698E2934D527.jpeg

D93D66A5-BB3E-466C-96DC-7B1DCBEC69F1.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Rannoch also featured one of my creations as a guest item.

I didn't get any photos of it on the layout and hope that someone did.

Apparently it was the subject of a lot of peoples queries including Mr Corgi!

As a result of the query I was asked to let them have a closer look and I obliged them.

Thanks

Phil H

Scotrail Transit - Model - 1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Rannoch will be attending Bonnybridge exhibition at the end of April. This is a very friendly show which we are looking forward to attending.

With Glasgow show out of the way I’ve kind of made a modelling list for the year.

The major project is the new 18 foot by 10 foot fiddle yard which will allow Newlands Park to be used again and 2 or 3 future layout plans to eventually get built. Building one fiddle yard for several layouts will save time and money. The new fiddle yard will have its own DCC accessory bus and control system using DCC concepts products. Thanks to Mick for all his help with this since Showcase 3 years ago and putting everything together with full explanations at Glasgow. The main reason for using DCC concepts is  it provides very simple control via mimic panels which will allow anyone to be able to come and play. The points are powered with Gauge master DCC fitted point motors which simply wire into the BUS.

I had made good progress getting the 12 foot of straight boards track laid and wired last year. 

The end boards are now clear ready for track laying to commence. 

Cheers

Mark

9AD4A7C3-51B8-407C-9912-1DF6595C4F3A.jpeg

6A67D67E-7C05-48E1-9072-A09F569F0561.jpeg

004AB537-3203-443F-A91D-1F14076F015F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Nice and neat that Mark! Looks like you've been busy.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Cheers 
Dave

Thanks Dave. 

Progress isn’t as fast as I’d like but it’s getting there.

Cheers

Mark

Hello everyone,

A little modelling project I’ve had ideas to do for a while has finally become possible. Living just over the hill from Bo’ness I have often contemplated creating a representative set of of the SRPS Mainline charter stock. I’ve travelled on it around the Forth Circle and several times at Bo’ness and it’s well travelled with both Steam and Diesel haulage. It fits in my plans on a couple of future layouts and can run on Rannoch too.

I’ve plenty of locos for it and with my interest in the WCRC fleet, already had some suitable candidates on the shelf. What has really prompted this project now is the appearance of 3 SRPS Mark 1’s in a train pack from Hornby in this years Catalogue along with the RBR announcement.

I’ve spent a bit of time searching Flickr & the SRPS website to get an idea of workings and the formations. I found a nice shot of a DRS 66 hauling a 9 coach rake which helpfully included the coach numbers. Using this as a basis I could work out which vehicles were in other photos and work out a suitable train to model.

I already had a Hornby FO along with Bachmann FK, RMB and 2x SO’s planned for another WCRC set but with the Jacobite coaches and MK2’s on order I’ve plenty for a long mainline working. 

The planned set will be as follows:

TSO - 5028 - Bachmann with Commonwealths
TSO - 4831 - Bachmann with Commonwealths 
RMB - 1859 - Bachmann with Commonwealths 
TSO - 4832 - Bachmann with Commonwealths
TSO - 4856 - Hornby with B4’s
BSK - 35185 - Hornby with B4’s
RBR - 1730 - Hornby (will need a set of B4’s)
FO - 3096 - Hornby with B4’s 
FO - 3115 - Hornby with Commonwealths (take from RBR)
FK- 13230 - Bachmann with B4’s.

With 5 coaches already it will be a case of getting the coaches from the train pack along with a maroon RBR from Hornby and I will need to get another Bachmann 39-051J SO in maroon as this already has Commonwealths fitted.

The FK has swapped its bogies for B4’s with an Intercity example which will become 4999. So far I’ve removed numbers from the coach sides and the top roof lining in black and straw. This came off the Bachmann coaches easily with just rubbing using a dry cotton bud (I use the wooden cosmetic types which once worn a little gentle abrade the lining. 

Hope this might be of interest to others and creates a nice simple reference point of the info I’ve planned for my set.

As luck would have it Hattons had a couple of pre-owned coaches on their website so the other SO was sourced along with the early FK release as this already had a yellow 1st stripe painted on which saved some time.

The photos show the details removed from the FO and FKB1690BC4-25BF-490B-A2D2-51D0F8FCF3E7.jpeg.667bf50f12cfe1f6fb435913b1aadcff.jpeg

Thanks
Mark

4C405DBD-17F1-4B32-82E6-CC57FB004071.jpeg

EFA8AE6C-108D-4619-832F-1A7B95C5A107.jpeg

7FB4DB25-FC55-4AD4-AB72-5A28706145C3.jpeg

B6AA012F-1073-4708-BF4B-E208AE3103C9.jpeg

12E9F748-59F4-4C67-952C-BFC6A8359652.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Are you going to Perth this year?

Hi, Yes I plan to be there with the rest of the Scottish Modellers. We will have our various modelling demos taking place. Rannoch will be at Bonnybridge at the end of April too. 

cheers

Mark

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone,

Who knew that not long after Glasgow show we faced lock down and a very uncertain year. Hopefully everyone has stayed safe and well and is getting through this as best we all can. Having a hobby like ours certainly helps and hoping this little scene brings a bit of festive cheer to you all.

Merry Christmas to you all and hopefully see you out and about at shows at some point in 2021.

All the best

Mark

77E48963-90C5-4B03-AC77-150341770FF4.jpeg

A6A9B21A-B930-42BD-9AEF-0E9D66B01BF6.jpeg

• Like 14

• 7 months later...
On 11/08/2021 at 18:40, Piston said:

@MRDBLUE17

Do you know why Rannoch station used to have a turntable & when it went out of use - presumably end of steam ? I wonder if some trains were double headed from the south (?) & the pilot engine returned south ...

Hi Piston,

When I built my model of Rannoch I didn’t realise there had been a turntable there in the past at first, so it was a bit of a surprise to find out. There is still an old camping coach which belongs to a fishing club beyond the turntable well. 

I’m not sure when it was removed or the reasons for putting the turntable in originally. All my interest and research focussed on 2005 onwards and I didn’t go much further back than the 80’s when the signal box was no longer used and the RETB was installed which changed the direction of trains through the platforms etc. 

A few images of it come up on Flickr and there are a few books on the West Highland line so hopefully one of those will contain information on it.

thanks

Mark

Mark   The turntable was put in at Rannoch not long after the line was built to improve operations and maintainence. It was taken out I think when operations changed in the forties but will have to check a book i have for full details. Hope you are well and have not suffered to many problems in the last months .I am okay and have rebuilt my layout its now based near Ayr and am running trains now.Hope that Glasgow happens next year will you be there hope I will .Hows the layout you building set in Glasgow surburbia you had a thread but have not seen much for a long time.Keep well  Chris from Aylesbury

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Mark   The turntable was put in at Rannoch not long after the line was built to improve operations and maintainence. It was taken out I think when operations changed in the forties but will have to check a book i have for full details. Hope you are well and have not suffered to many problems in the last months .I am okay and have rebuilt my layout its now based near Ayr and am running trains now.Hope that Glasgow happens next year will you be there hope I will .Hows the layout you building set in Glasgow surburbia you had a thread but have not seen much for a long time.Keep well  Chris from Aylesbury

Hi Chris,

Great to hear from you. All good here but things are busy since June with my softplay finally reopened after 16 months closed. I’ve progressed the new big fiddle yard and have trains running. It’s supposed to be for use with several planned layouts but Newlands will also be able to be used once a couple of end plates are built to bridge the slight size difference. It will mean we can bring it out again and have far more capacity to run a wide variety of trains through. Well that’s the plan anyway. Will be at Glasgow next year and hopefully see you there.

All the best 

Mark