Apedale Railway Gala - 18-19 September

defiant1uk

Dear All - please see the note below about the Moseley Railway Trust's Grand Opening Gala this year at Apedale, Staffs detailing the model railways present etc. Thanks, Gareth

The Moseley Railway Trust has made good progress with the construction of the 2'0" gauge Apedale Valley Light Railway at the Apedale site near Newcastle-Under-Lyme, North Staffordshire. It is expected that the operation of public passenger trains will commence during the summer of 2010.

A Grand Opening Gala will be held at Apedale on September 18th and 19th. During this weekend, the official opening ceremony will take place – and the Trust is planning that a VIP will "cut the ribbon".

It is planned that will be three locomotives in steam, with a range of internal combustion locos also operating. In all there should be in excess of 65 locomotives present. Surely sufficient to whet the most jaded appetite? There will be a number of narrow gauge model railways in a variety of scales from the delights of Hull Miniature Railway Society's `Barrowfleet' (009 and 00) and Hazel Grove MRC's penultimate outing of "The High Peak Tramway" (O16.5) right up to `Hookers Junction' in 1/12th scale. Additionally there will be a wide range of traders, vintage vehicles and other attractions. Our colleagues at the adjacent Apedale Heritage Centre will be running underground tours of their coal mine, and the café will doubtless be doing a roaring trade with their legendary oatcakes.

This is the perfect opportunity for narrow gauge modellers of any scale to get `up close and personal' with camera and tape measure to a considerable range of locomotives and is not to be missed.

See www.mrt.org.ukfor more details of what will be one of the Narrow Gauge "events of the year". The `how to find us' button on our website provides maps and useful sets of directions.

As already mentioned above the Hull mob will be there with "Barrowfleet". We have have had to resurrect the layout from the darkest corners of the club rooms, ejecting the odd wasp from a comfortable home and repairing one of the fiddle yards. Otherwise it is in remarkably good condition after 2+ years of storage.

Looking forward to the event as a whole which is sure to be something a bit special.

Mal

Old Land Rovers? I can bring a few along if you want. I no longer have a narrow gauge layout to bring though.

I remember you selling the last NG layout ;)

Vintage vehicle, etc entries are welcomed - if possible, please can you complete the entry forms (download from here http://www.bagofbits.com/mrt/downloads/MRT%20Open%20Day%20booking%20form%202010.pdf) in advance (helps us plan for the number of exhibitor plaques!).

Cheers,

Gareth

Dear All - updated layout attendance list for this years event, in addition to various traders & society stands:

Beeches Barn Extension (SM32 - Live Steam)

Hookers Junction (1/12 Scale)

BarrowFleet (00/009)

High Peak Tramway (016.5)

Pampas & Fernandez Consolidated Railway (ON30)

Lynton & Barnstaple - Lynton (009)

Barton Ings Pipe and Tile Works (Gn15)

• 4 weeks later...

18/19th September (next weekend). Apedale, Staffs. Postcode ST7 7LB

Just a quick note to let you know that all is proceeding to plan so far....

All layouts listed below, are still planned to be present.

In addition there are a couple of dioramas/displays from the local Staffs Transport modellers.

There is some trade support (I don't have this list currently!).

Of the 3 full-size NG steam locos planned to be operating, 2 have now been onsite for just over a week & the 3rd is due shortly. Passenger trains are in operation.

Please see www.mrt.org.uk for more details.

See you there?!

Dear All - updated layout attendance list for this years event, in addition to various traders & society stands:

Beeches Barn Extension (SM32 - Live Steam)

Hookers Junction (1/12 Scale)

BarrowFleet (00/009)

High Peak Tramway (016.5)

Pampas & Fernandez Consolidated Railway (ON30)

Lynton & Barnstaple - Lynton (009)

Barton Ings Pipe and Tile Works (Gn15)

Just got back from setting up at Apedale - it's shaping up to be a good weekend. Visiting loco Paddy was steamed to test it's ability to haul passenger trains.

post-8055-035957600 1284756670_thumb.jpg

And, like every good loco, it has it's own wok(?!)

post-8055-071707700 1284756726_thumb.jpg

(According to the loco crew, they lost the cover that is placed over the chimney when the loco isn't working, and this was the cheapest and easiest alternative!)

Resident steam loco Stanhope waiting outside the shed.

post-8055-021496400 1284756804_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I can't make the rest of the weekend, but it will be well worth a visit, especially if you haven't been before.

Andy

Well I had a Brilliant time exhibiting, it was a really good show and despite the weather's best attempts to hinder the weekend, the trust announced they had a record-breaking event regarding attendance figures.... heres some of my piccies im sure many people will have better ones as my free time was either early morning or early evening and light was bad ...

heres some tasters I will get more uploaded into an album asap...

053.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

015.jpg

017.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

Theres just TONS of stuff lying around everywhere you look!!!!...so much inspiration !!!!!.. more piccies to follow....

Enjoy,

Charlie

Archived