Plattling webcam

Plattling Yard DBAG

Someone posted a link here a while back, and since then I find myself having a look most days. Pretty busy 24/7, with several shunters at work marshalling freights, plus a lot of passing traffic. Pax seems busy although they're mostly push-pull or toothpaste tube ICEs.

Here's some recent things that took my fancy:

plattling76.jpg

The Voith 'Maxima' diesel-hydraulic prototype drops a tanker train in the yard

plattling63.jpg

Is this a Swiss Cargo locomotive?

plattling64.jpg

I'm not an expert, but is this the Vectron protptype being towed through Plattling?

plattling79.jpg

Another colourful elok towing some grain or cement hoppers.

plattling65.jpg

Railion class 114? Like I said, I'm no expert on Deutsche Eloks, they all look the same to me ;)

Anyway, fans of modern German rail should spend some time watching the activity - it plays out in real-time and is better than what's on TV most nights ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My apologies, I seem to have missed this thread up until now :huh: .

Here's some recent things that took my fancy:

plattling63.jpg

Is this a Swiss Cargo locomotive?

Yes, it's a SBB class Re 482. I can't quite make out whether it is a 1st or 2nd generation TRAXX, though.

plattling64.jpg

I'm not an expert, but is this the Vectron protptype being towed through Plattling?

Looks more like the two Siemens demonstrators 189 840 (Click) and 183 701 (Click) to me. I am quite sure I can make out the Taurus style body on the second engine, as well as the absence of the "Vectron" billboard inscription: Click.

plattling79.jpg

Another colourful elok towing some grain or cement hoppers.

That looks like a rail4chem class 185 with "European Bulls" inscriptions: Click.

plattling65.jpg

Railion class 114? Like I said, I'm no expert on Deutsche Eloks, they all look the same to me ;)

That would be another 185 :) .

• Like 1

Rich, Thanks for the freight timings.

I can't believe I missed the steam special, I had a feeling I might. I tend to have it on in a background window while I'm working so can keep tabs on most days. The weather seems just as bad there and there was a cracking thunderstorm the other evening.

I'm obviously going to have to gen up on Euro Eloks... :rolleyes:

Now, why isn't there a similar cam at West Colton? Or any other SW USA yard?

I have to admit its the best webcam I've found. It's obvious from your screen captures though I miss all the "good stuff"!

How do you get those screen captures? I#m a complete numpty when it comes to anything PC related.

In Internet Explorer, the webcam saves a jpeg file to the Temporary Internet Files folder every second or so. As soon as I see a train of interest, I go into my Temporary Internet Files and move the last few 'current.jpg' files into My Pictures and choose the best one to keep. For the most recent files make sure your Temporary Internet Files are sorted by either Last Modified or Last Accessed or Last Checked column.

Doug

Whilst I must admit I'm not really into this continental stuff, I do find this webcam fascinating. Spend much too long looking at it..... :unsure:

Does anyone have a trackplan of the station and surrounding area they can share? I've looked at Google maps, but it's difficult to make out some of the lines as the quality isn't all that sharp.

It's also interesting to see the simplicity of the German OHLE, which is in stark contrast to some of the overhead we have, in particular the WCML in the Trent Valley.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mark, the gentlemen a few pixels high in the picture in post #17, took a few photographs whilst at Plattling. Hopefully, these might solve a few mysteries.

The webcam is somewhere within the clutter on top of the warehouse.

The 2 shunters are indeed in original DB livery and seem to be there in conjunction with engineering work at the west end of the station - that furthest away from the camera.

post-7003-068775900 1285837297_thumb.jpg

post-7003-043855500 1285837320_thumb.jpg

post-7003-069941900 1285837386_thumb.jpg

post-7003-053870800 1285837406_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Those two Bundesbahn liveried V 60s are owned by private operator EfW who actually make a point of keeping their ex-DB and DR locos in their original liveries. Interestingly, those V 60s have also kept their original numbers as class 260 rather than 360. Back in 1987, the Bundesbahn decided to classify smaller shunters like the various V 60s as "tractors", as opposed to "full" locomotives, so as to have a valid reason to not have them manned with fully qualified mainline drivers, but with shunting agents (which of course were given lower wages, too <_< ). This turned the 260s into 360s and the 261s into 361s - the 261s/361s being heavier by about four tonnes.

• 2 weeks later...

A sight I never thought I would see happened this morning, to the extent that I nearly forgot to save the picture!

Just leaving the shot to the left hand side is an SNCF BB37000 !!

I know that these locos work up into the Ruhr, but this far south and east!!

post-7003-073247300 1286968653_thumb.jpg

A sight I never thought I would see happened this morning, to the extent that I nearly forgot to save the picture!

Just leaving the shot to the left hand side is an SNCF BB37000 !!

I know that these locos work up into the Ruhr, but this far south and east!!

post-7003-073247300 1286968653_thumb.jpg

It could be one of the batch loaned to their german subsidiary ITL. According to http://www.privat-bahn.de/ITL.html they have 37022-27. These can be seen as far as Dresden and Hamburg.

Doug

Many thanks for this, Doug.

Apparently, the BB37000s have also been sighted in the Munich area, so this would be backed up by your information.

However, we believe that the loco will have been removed at Passau, as they are not passed for working into Austria.

The volume and variety of traffic here never ceases to amaze me. I've just logged on for 5 minutes on a Sunday evening and as well as a stopping passenger, I've seen a long through frieght. And it seems to be like that every time I log on.

I'm sure many others would join with me in a huge vote of thanks to Mike for bringing this to my attention. I'm sure those others, like me, are schemeing at how to reproduce this in model form!