Plattling webcam

I have just watched a long train in which the single loco was disappearing at the left hand side and the last wagons were still visible at the distant bend. I tried counting the wagons but with the stuttering picture it is difficult to keep track of them, so I gave up. How I wish I could zoom in sometimes!

Does anyone know where the shunt engines go to during the day? Sometimes one or two disappear for much of the day and re-appear in the evening (shift change?).

Geoff.

Does anyone know where the shunt engines go to during the day? Sometimes one or two disappear for much of the day and re-appear in the evening (shift change?).

They go on short freight workings about 10 or 20 miles away from Plattling taking about between 2 to 10 wagons at a time.

This timetable http://www.cargonautus.de/Passau.htm gives the shunter workings (they are class 293/294), then you can search google maps to see whereabouts the places are.

A while ago I saw a link giving a live timetable for Plattling station, but have since lost it. Does anyone still have it please? Does Olten have a live timetable link anywhere please, or something similar so I can input the time and it gives me all the departures of the trains?

• RMweb Gold

Try this link for Olten departures, using the swiss timetable.

The full SBB timetable is here at: http://fahrplan.sbb....n/query.exe/en?

Either fill in the form to plan a journey or go to the menu on the left hand side "Departures/Arrivals" to pick up an arrivals/departures board timetable for any Swiss station. If you just fill in the station name and set the time to 00.00, then click "show" you can go through all 24 hours of arrivals or departures for any station. I suggest you display 50 results at a time, Olten is very busy.

David

PS This link to the SBB timetable website will also give the arrival/departure boards for Plattling, and most (if not all) other German stations, indeed most European stations including a lot of British ones.

David

Edited to add information.

Edited by DaveF

Thank you David!

With this photo of Olten http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/BhfOltenWestkopf.JPG it should be work out to see what train is at what platform on the webcam (the webcam is nearest to platform 12 I think) and then to look at the timetable to see where it came from and is going to.

And it should be the same for Plattling too.

All I need know is a Swiss freight timetable and I'm all set! Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

This site of European timetables at : http://www.uk-click....ail/eurott.html (there are 3 pages in all) gives links to all the major european countries timetables.

Incidentally the Austrian timetable can be be used to produce arrival and departure boards for just about anywhere, including small British stations. Open the Austrian timetable page, select stations, then select departures, arrivals or whatever.

David

are European intermodal freights the same length as British intermodals, or longer?

this video

seems to be typical of what goes through Plattling and this train has 46 (?) container flats. I don't know how many British intermodals have, but I imagine it is less in length than this.

I've been watching this cam virtually every day since 17th February 2010, there's always interesting moves to be seen. I caught it just at the end of the transition from 111s/143s to 440s, and they are now much missed. European Intermodals are much longer than their British counterparts, and usually see the most variety of private locos.

I'm getting to know when certain trains are due, and what their typical traction is, but knowing Plattling, it changes very regularly and I struggle to keep up! The freight is very regular however, with trains through the night.

I'm getting to know when certain trains are due, and what their typical traction is

Please could you share this knowledge? I find freight trains tend to run around 2 minutes to the hour & 12 minutes past the hour quite regularly. Although I don't watch enough to know what traction it will be.

In case you didn't know, a handy tip is to change the '1 b/s' at the bottom of the cam to 2 b/s, this will give a smoother performance.

Freight usually runs at any time, but I know all of the 294s and 363s will return to the Plattling area around lunchtime for the drivers to have a break.

My mate tells me there's a DB traxx due around 14:10 GMT, heading away from the camera with a train of 'randoms' (mix of stuff). He also says that there are 2 intermodals due between 14:00 and 14:30 GMT, with a Dispolok Taurus towards Austria, and DB traxx away from the camera, but don't seem to run on Fridays. He tells me that the Oberhausen to Plattling arrives around 11:30 GMT, usually chemicals or bolsters so I am told.

On thursdays he tells me there's a booked DB Light engine move that heads away from the camera, and into a siding at the far end of the station, around 11:50 GMT.

There's a working due at 15:15 GMT that is a rake of OBB Transwaggons/Cargowaggons, with the occasional appearance of Nordwaggons, heading towards the camera (Towards Austria). This quite often turns out an ex Rail Cargo Hungary Taurus (they were on lease from OBB), although 1116 007 seems to produce quite frequently as well.

There is a Vienna-Hamburg sleeper that is due at 22:48 GMT, goes non stop through the station, although usually seems to be around 22:41 at the moment, typical traction is usually an OBB Taurus, with a mix of Austrian and Hungarian sleeping coaches, as well as a German seating coach and 1 or 2 Autozugs (Either German or Austrian)

On weekends, there is a cartic train about 14:00-14:30 GMT, usually DB traction.

There is also an additional sleeper introduced recently that seems to be weekends only, follows not long after the aforementioned 22:48 OBB one.

There are many more workings I do know about but I can't remember specific details off hand.

Incidentally, where can I find the current.jpg files? I've had a look in my temporary internet files and I can't find any with that name?

This coal (?) train sometimes gets a red 140(?) locomotive at either end. But today was a black 185(?)

That is a coal train, quite often it will have two double heading 185/189s, or TnT as you say, but quite rare to see an MRCE one turn up. If that only had one loco on it, that is going to struggle up the gradients. There was a coal train arrived last night into Plattling yard with only one loco. They had to dig out the stabled 189 from the far end of the station and hook it onto the front.

Incidentally, where can I find the current.jpg files? I've had a look in my temporary internet files and I can't find any with that name?

Whenever I see anything of interest, I usually just press the "print screen button" and then edit the image in whatever software you have. You have to time it correctly, but this works if you can't find the current.jpg file thing.