Plattling webcam

The 2-coach InterCity is most likely to be an empty stock working and will be heading for Munich or Nuremburg, there is often a corresponding working on a weekend morning at about 8.45 (German time) heading towards Passau. The 2 extra coaches may simply be used as strengthening for a rake that usually stays at Passau between workings.

As regards the 'beam', I too had similar problems as I couldn't work out what the 'black box' that is the new staircase, had in relation to the footbridge. This was finally resolved when Mark Abbott (see post #17, on page 1) actually phoned me from Plattling and described the exact set-up to me - all very easy when you know what is there!

there is often a corresponding working on a weekend morning at about 8.45 (German time) heading towards Passau.

Do you know what happens to be the normal traction for these movements? Also have yourself or any others found that the timetable link on the first page is accurate: are there any more interesting freights to watch out for or is it just 'take your chances'?

Motorcycle,

The InterCity trains themselves are usually a push-pull rake of some 12 coaches with a Class 101 electric at the north end (the further end from the Webcam). The empty stock workings seem to be whatever is available. I have seen Class 101s and Class 120s on these.

As for the freight, I just take whatever comes through. A couple of weeks ago, there were 7 eastbound freights (towards the camera) between 7am and 8am, although the norm is usually 3 per hour.

Passenger trains are best seen around the 'top of the hour'. The lines from Munchen, Nurnberg, Passau and Deggendorf all produce one arrival just before the hour, and a departure immediately after the hour. Sometime, there is also an express on the Nurnberg - Passau route in both directions in at this time as well, often formed of ICE sets.

Six passenger trains in the station at the same time, all inter-connecting. Now that seems an 'alien' concept on the British railways of today!

• RMweb Premium

Motorcycle,

The InterCity trains themselves are usually a push-pull rake of some 12 coaches with a Class 101 electric at the north end (the further end from the Webcam). The empty stock workings seem to be whatever is available. I have seen Class 101s and Class 120s on these.

Far as I can observe DB operations locally, 120s tend to be used for both empty stock services as well as what we call "Knotenpunktreserven" with increasing frequency these days - the latter being reserve IC sets on standby at various major stations and intended to jump in if any scheduled ICE or IC set should fail. Of course, in the days of shareholder value there aren't as many of these as there used to be, so I guess Germany and the UK aren't too terribly different in that respect... :unsure:

Empty stock services also include transfers of coaches to the various repair works for major servicing and revisions which cannot be carried out at the depot level. Here is one photo I snapped of one of those workings at Leipzig last year:

dsc018134m20.jpg

As you may be able to see, this really is a hodgepodge of a variety of both long distance and regional stock. Traction was provided by a class 115 in this case - the loco behind it being dead in tow, though.

• RMweb Premium

Been meaning to comment on these two shots the day before, but failed to remember this...so here we go :) .

Here are two images from this week I saw. The first was traveling toward the webcam and didn't stop at Plattling. I missed off the front, but it was 2 carriages and the red locomotive

27zakah.jpg

the second image was from this morning. I have never seen the yellow thing before. Is it a departmental vehicle?

2cg2c1g.jpg

The first image shows one of the two class 120s set aside for departmental use. These are 120 153 and 160, which have been renumbered as 120 501 and 502, and given billboard lettering for DB Systemtechnik. as seen in this Wikimedia photo: Click.

The blue and yellow unit from the second photo would appear to be a Speno rail inspection car. I remember having seen one of those myself a while ago.

Probably more likely to be snow on the lens. Even with thick fog, there are usually some details very close to the camera that you can make out.

Which you can do down the bottom right hand corner of your picture and also if you go live to the site - you can just amke out the track there.

On Wednesday I noticed that there was a thick black line across the bottom right hand corner of the image.

I'm just wondering if the lens or the window it looks through has been cracked?

David

Picture back again.

Between us all, we really must waste a lot of hours watching this!

But it really is very entertaining and fascinating to watch so much railway action at what is not really a major railway station of the German network

Ah, but what's the definition of wasting time? I call it research :) . 17 million people watched wasted time on X factor last night. I know which i prefer!

Is this webcam out of action, tried to access but no good, or is it now pay to watch. Beeman.

No, still on and still free: http://webcam04.deg.net/cgi-bin/guestimage.html

• RMweb Premium

Is this a class 189? I haven't seen one of these at Plattling before

2ez5rmr.jpg

Yes, I believe it is, going by the busy-looking roof. Could be one from Lokomotion, who have various ex-MRCE 189s which were bought second hand and retained the old Dispolok livery of yellow and silver.

What's interesting about them is that one of those 189s – 189 917, to be exact – has now been given the same white, black and blue "Zebra" livery found on their 139s and 185s.