Modern Era Layout

alcoRS1

That is a nice representation of a relatively current simple track plan. The only thing I see that doesn't look 'right' is the lower left. If the two sidings are serving the same industry there would almost certainly be only one switch from the main line, with the split occurring after that. This means that the railroad only has to be concerned about the one switch, while the other is likely the responsibility of the owner of the industry.

Adrian

Probably this is true for the most part, but here locally we Albina fuels in the real world, has 2 different rail connections, both off different lines, but across the river in portland Conoco Philips has 3 tracks 2 being on the same line, but 1/4 mile between.

it would but, I am using left over switches, I really wanted to do the whole layout in code 83, but had so much code 100 it would of been a waste, I trying to save for an Overland Brass Genset, so I am cutting the cost down. Today I will purchase the wood for the second section, and start putting it in together. Also I working on my SP&S layout, doing the switches so I can ballast. Plus I got some tank cars I am striping to repaint, this keeps me busy.

Getting there, I got most of the woodwork done, other than some leg braces to add a bit more stability, part of the backdrop, it has to have an inch cut off, and then there is the cross section, which is still under design and development, but will cross the 3ft gap at the end, with a small bridge section running over a creek.

post-6841-073643700 1284099145_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow, I plan on having a clean up session, the shop vac is ready to go, and I need to clear the walkway.

I am amazed that my layout is level, for few reasons,

1) my woods skill are bad, and if it was not for the craftsmanship of a friend installing the wall self section, then the other section would of been a disaster.

2) my garage drops 3 inches in about 18ft (so water flows out of the garage, away from the house), so I have had to make each set of legs to different levels to maintain the correct height.

Sorry - my post could have been clearer. Most, if not all traffic in the UK is in block trains nowadays, as a opposed to "by the car load" traffic as seen here, whether single or multiple cars.

Any car load freight in the UK these days tends to go by road or by container.*

Another fine reason to model the US!

*I appreciate that Inter-modal and Unit coal trains, etc., make up a massive share of the US rail market, but my point is that there is still much variety, unlike the UK.

In Vancouver, BNSF ships though 1 - 2 coal trains a day, and hole bunch of grain (grain going to the ports), intermodal including, trailers (UPS ships a lot of trailers that way). and lots of mixed freight, it good to see so many local rail served industries. The UP that come up and from portland are intermodal, Grain, steel and scrap, and a few mixed freight.

post-6841-021886600 1284431164_thumb.jpg

I completed the connecting section between the 2 14ft x 2ft sections, I have built a little creek area. At the moment, I cannot glue one section, until I can secure the bridge. so, tonight I have started to make the creek, then I can finish glue the tracks, installing the switch motors, making the roads, then ballast, my goal is to complete all that by end of week.

post-6841-063405800 1284507068_thumb.jpg

post-6841-007373700 1284507067_thumb.jpg

last night I worked to get the creek, done, all I have left it to add the real water, but I need to let the glue fully dry.

today I painted all the rails, ballasted the first section and clean the rails after the glue dried. Tonight I will weather the bridge and glue the rest of the track (which is now painted), Tomorrow install and wire switch motors, then ballast remaining track.

well I got the tracked glued and switch motors installed, but I managed to burn a good size of one off my fingers (I use a hot glue gun to glue the tortoise switch motors in place), enough for it to remove lots of skin in about 2 seconds, after seeking medical advice (friend is a doctor), I was back to finishing the switch motors (super glue this time). I also got some more ballasting in, tomorrow, all I have left is ballast and wiring this section up.

Thanks.

post-6841-050039600 1284592565_thumb.jpg

The finger of pain, well does not hurt to much, starting to scab over, I got high last night, I think it from my brain releasing chemicals to deal with the pain, it felt good, did not know I could get high from pain.

some more pictures.

post-6841-057435600 1284592561_thumb.jpg

post-6841-033057800 1284592564_thumb.jpg

post-6841-089336400 1284592562_thumb.jpg

Finished ballasting, just have one section to leave dry out, then I can clean the switch and track from paint and glue. Tonight it will be done, also tonight I will wire the switch motors and track. Then all the rails will be 100% operational.

This guy kurt in Germany has inspired me more than lance I really like his layout, but he has done the best roads using sandpaper, I am trying to recreate this Road

This layout, the one Lance has done and my favorite though has to be Mike Confalone his layout is awesome and featured in a few MR mag. I hope to get my layout to thar quality, I think the secret is to scratch build as much as possible.

post-6841-021203700 1284704191_thumb.png

Got all the switch installed wired and operational, was thinking about the staging today decided to make it part of the scenic, based on being the top end of the Vancouver B yard. BNSF uses the top end of the yard for all local traffic, everything else gets moved on down. so in my layout, it would be where cars are delivered and pickup from, then an imaginary switcher will move them down to the other yard. I also get to do some switching in the yard too. I added a runaround in the yards so I can bring in a string of cars runaround then pull them out and put them onto classification tracks.

post-6841-039500700 1284702804_thumb.jpg

this is looking at the yard from one direction, the GE EC4400 is coming of the mainline from the yard further down. The Blue Bonnet GP38-2 is on the top end of the yard.

post-6841-010111000 1284702806_thumb.jpg

Looking at the yard from the other side the BNSF GP39-2 working into the yard.

post-6841-066666800 1284704290_thumb.jpg

This aerial photo shows the local staging tracks, the main yard (there is 3 other yards here not including the ports yards, or the other yards across the river).

post-6841-052935000 1284702807_thumb.jpg

2027 here is going to deliver a cut of asphalt Tank cars to Albina Fuels

I have a cunning plan based on much the same sort of idea. Liked the Lougheed, Renfrew, Burnaby area and the Braid and Brunette yard area too. Many of the same qualities and the over bridges of freeway and skytrain could provide easy scenic breaks that don't come easy on US/CAn outline layouts. Add to that the BNSF/Amtrak/CP/CN traffic and you might have a perfect north American location? Liked the locals powered by 3 switchers too....!

I have a cunning plan based on much the same sort of idea. Liked the Lougheed, Renfrew, Burnaby area and the Braid and Brunette yard area too. Many of the same qualities and the over bridges of freeway and skytrain could provide easy scenic breaks that don't come easy on US/CAn outline layouts. Add to that the BNSF/Amtrak/CP/CN traffic and you might have a perfect north American location? Liked the locals powered by 3 switchers too....!

I think you're confusing Vancouver in Washington State (which is where alcoRS1's layout is based) with Vancouver in British Columbia! Having said that, I agree with what you say about the variety of traffic around New Westminster. Add to your list Via trains and the mix of cars (TFM autoracks :huh: ) and runthrough/horsepower payback power that can turn up on BNSF trains (occasional NS and CSX :huh: ) and you could run stock from almost any North American railroad.

it seems great around that area of Vancouver BC, If I was going to do a Vancouver BC, I would look around Harbor view Park in North Vancouver, it has a tank car loading/unloading, plus a port area with warehouses taking box cars, a flat area that take flat cars for loads coming in off boats (or going out), there is nearby an area which has lots of tank cars and covered hoppers.

I am very excited for friday Thursday but when I get it it might be Friday in UK time zone. I ordered my most expensive loco ever, $715 for an Overland BNSF Genset.

This one

post-6841-047230500 1285097833_thumb.jpg

here it is in the real world

post-6841-070578700 1285097878_thumb.jpg

Photo taken by Nicholas Benson

Edit: I have order 2 other Gensets, 2 UP Atlas 3GS21B ones, I think the other genset locos have the lights wrong, but the UP's are correct. These I am hoping for end of month if not next month.

Archived