Modern Era Layout

alcoRS1

tonight I made another 21 inches of fence, tomorrow I will need to purchase more brass. anyhow here is a little list of photo on how I did it.

post-6841-037124000 1285221547_thumb.jpg

mask down the brass wire on to a board, I marked he board for 8 inch sections and also different hight fences, from 6 - 10 scale feet. I am using 0.20 Inch brass rods.

post-6841-007387500 1285221549_thumb.jpg

Solder the joints, After I solder the joints, I am using a solder sucker to remove excess solder.

post-6841-064920600 1285221550_thumb.jpg

glue the vail material (tulle) to the frame, and then cut excess away. Paint and install. I leave little legs on the fence, so I can drill holes for mounting the fence.

post-6841-023490000 1285221552_thumb.jpg

Also tonight I put together a small YouTube of a quick spin on the layout using my $0.01 keyring camera I got from eBay, it cost however $8.66 to ship it here. and then I purchased an 8 GB micro SD card for $19, it was the cheapest one I could find, so the whole camera cost $27.66, not bad (also purchased a spare).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfVKywz0Mfw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

post-6841-097507400 1285313108_thumb.jpg

post-6841-018516900 1285313107_thumb.jpg

I got my Brass Genset today in the mail, I have mixed feelings about it. The detail is unreal, but the operation, seems to have me questioning, it will run a slow crawl then it will stop, give it some more juice, then it goes again, I still have to wear in the gears, so maybe that will help. I put a Digitrax decoder in it, I will swap out for an NCE tomorrow.

here is a youtube

not the best quality, it being dark in the garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGgQMh9RXzw

slowly making progress with the fence, running out of brass and the local hobby store will not have any until next week, but I order 12 packs, should be enough for most of the layout. Tomorrow I will finish the first area to be fenced off.

worked out the problem with the OMI genset, when I installed the decoder, I managed to bust a wire putting it back together, so one of the trucks was not powered, now that I have fixed that, and programmed the decoder for better control, she moves a long very nicely at slow speeds, very smooth running, and a pleasure to watch, now I am super happy with this OMI, and I want another one, thinking about the US Army one.

glue the vail material (tulle) to the frame, and then cut excess away. Paint and install. I leave little legs on the fence, so I can drill holes for mounting the fence.

post-6841-023490000 1285221552_thumb.jpg

Like the look of your fencing, can I ask what where you get your tulle from?

Is there different sizes?

Like the look of your fencing, can I ask what where you get your tulle from?

Is there different sizes?

I got the Tulle from walmart, but I am sure any fabric store will sell it, and yes there are different sizes. my cost $0.97 per square yard, one yard should be all you need.

I was watching this and just thinking "nice rough-looking US track!!" when the camera car derailed at 1:43.... :blink:

A wonderful 'prototype' moment.... :D :D :D

Nice layout, though; a few, long sidings looks so much better than those "cram in as much as possible" yards... B) ;)

I was watching this and just thinking "nice rough-looking US track!!" when the camera car derailed at 1:43.... :blink:

A wonderful 'prototype' moment.... :D :D :D

Nice layout, though; a few, long sidings looks so much better than those "cram in as much as possible" yards... B) ;)

Thanks, I on purpose try to not to make the tracks too nice, it seems it mainly mainlines that are nice here in the USA, a lot of industrial tracks are warp over time.

That flat car I have derails just by looking at it.

I tried to keep cramming to much in, it always been my problem with other layouts in the past.

working going slow, yesterday, well monday it was 82 F or 27 C, and will be like that most of the week minus/plus 1 - 2 degrees, garage was to hot. Slowly however getting Nalco Chemical finished, have been adding piping to and from the storage tanks. Got the lighting a little better with a light bar I put up on one end of the layout.

will post some photos soon.

My latest editions

post-6841-057539700 1286240209_thumb.jpg

post-6841-039385300 1286240211_thumb.jpg

the details are awesome, nothing is perfect, but I can fix the things I do not like. Atlas did a great job. Now I need to order decoders for this, my HO decoders are too big.

Well with the new UP 3GS21B Gensets, I run into a problem, there was not enough room in the yard to run around a double loco consist, so with some rearranging I have managed to increase storage and add a run around. My longest train is 4 ethanol cars + 2 locos coming into the yard. Leaving the yard I can get away with 6 ethanol cars. Now if I have a long train coming into the yard, I have to break it, bring in part, run around, switch them to the classification tracks, then collect the remained from the industrial line, and repeat.

post-6841-053532500 1286692772_thumb.jpg

post-6841-038643700 1286692774_thumb.jpg

soon I will glue ballast and deal with the switches in the yard.

post-6841-003515100 1286692776_thumb.jpg

post-6841-006291300 1286692781_thumb.jpg

post-6841-030556800 1286692779_thumb.jpg

post-6841-055439900 1286692777_thumb.jpg

Been working on the grass, I not sure if it is looking good. or looking natural.

Hi Warren,

Been enjoying keeping up to date with this layout - you're a fast worker!

I rather like your Gensets, especially the brass BNSF one - WOW!! Glad it runs well now. I have just one brass diesel (an older U25-B in C&O) and i find that it needs some tlc now and again!!! Does the newer brass run as well as current high quality plastic models?

With your grass, i should say just try and blend it in somewhat. It's very nice indeed but would wild grass have nice clean edges? Also perhaps you could plant one or two other varieties of plant amongst the grass?

Cheers,

John E.

Hi Warren,

Been enjoying keeping up to date with this layout - you're a fast worker!

I rather like your Gensets, especially the brass BNSF one - WOW!! Glad it runs well now. I have just one brass diesel (an older U25-B in C&O) and i find that it needs some tlc now and again!!! Does the newer brass run as well as current high quality plastic models?

With your grass, i should say just try and blend it in somewhat. It's very nice indeed but would wild grass have nice clean edges? Also perhaps you could plant one or two other varieties of plant amongst the grass?

Cheers,

John E.

Thanks John,

I been thinking I need to add some other plants to the grass, this part of modeling is new to me. I never got around to doing grass before, so I am completely a beginner.

My brass OMI, runs so much better than any other loco I have, it is unbelievable smooth. I am very impressed. The only problem the BNSF Genset needs another to make it a pair :), time to start saving.

Every One day it is MOW (maintenance of Way) day, just like BNSF and UP do here, think it could be USA wide). So I clean the tracks and work on track/power issues.

was thinking about having a day to do only one type of work.

Tuesday is buildings

Wednesday Car details

Thursday Roads

Friday Trees and shrubs

Saturday Fences.

This should help speed things up, so today I can only work on buildings, cool

Rail Fanning at home.

Nice video Warren. I know these GenSets are quiet in real life but they cry out for sound!! biggrin.gif

QSI will have a decoder for them in early 2011, I will wait, but I do want sound.

Backdrop looks really good, Warren = excellent in fact. I wonder if Backdrop Warehose would do it for you for free, if you gave them the rights to add it to their range?

I wish, but I do not own all those images, I got them from the internet, it is a collage.

Archived