Availability of 7mm diesels in UK

Allegheny1600

Hi Gents,

I thought I’d compile a list of all the models of British diesels that are or have been, available in 7mm. Apologies if this has already been done elsewhere, only I’m not aware of this having been done (yet!). I have attempted to show all of the diesel models that have been, are being or will be made in the near future!

If you know of anything that i have missed, please don't hesitate to correct me in a posting!

Early Shunters

LMS Shunter Various types of 0-6-0

MMP (Tops class 11), Mercian (Armstrong Whitworth DE), Mercian (LMS Derby 7080-7119)

LMS Hunslet 0-6-0 7051

JED

GWR 0-6-0

MMP (GWR version of Tops class 11!)

Bullied 0-6-0DM 1950 No.11001

JED (test etch only) see post No.7.

Non Tops Shunters

Barclay 0-6-0DM 1956 No.11177-86

JED

Barclay 0-6-0DH

Mercian

Barclay 153HP 0-4-0D (WD)

Mercian

Drewry 0-6-0 1955 No.11121-11229, D2215-D2341

RPRC

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0DM 1956

Mercian (industrial & BR versions)

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0DM 204Hp 1961 D2510-D2519

Mercian

Hunslet 403Hp 0-6-0DH (industrial)

JED

Ruston & Hornsby 165Hp 0-4-0DM No.11507/8, D2957/8 (also industrial)

JED

Sentinel Shrewsbury 0-4-0 industrial

MMP/ABS

Sentinel 325Hp 0-6-0DH (industrial)

JED

Prototypes

Armstrong Whitworth 1-Co-1 1933

No known model (yet!).

LMS 10,000/1 1948/9

JLTRT (early & late), PRMRP

SR 10201/2&3 1950/51&54

El Crappo

10800 & Hawk 1950 & 1964

SBT

10100/Fell 1950

Rod Neep/A1 (etches only).

DELTIC 1955

LH Loveless

D0280 Falcon

No known model (yet!).

DP2

No known model (yet!).

D0260 Lion

No known model (yet!).

HS4000 Kestrel

No known model (yet!).

Shunters

No known model (yet!).

PRMRP, Skytrex, Tower

MMP/ABS, DJH (RTR & Kit), Bach (RTR), Acme, RPRC

Bach (RTR), Vulcan

No known model (yet!).

JED, Mercian, RPRC

MMP/ABS

MMP, Bach (RTR), Acme, Oakville, Acorn, JLTRT, Prestige10 (ex Mendip), Agenoria

MMP (same kit as class 08),

MMP.

PRMRP

Type 1’s

SBT, El Crappo

SBT

JLTRT, SBT, PRMRP

JLTRT, Heljan, PRMRP, Tower,

Type 2’s

SBT

SBT, El Crappo

SBT

JLTRT (all versions), SBT, Bach (RTR)

JLTRT (all versions), SBT, PRMRP (early & late), Bach (RTR)

MMP, JLTRT, PRMRP, Heljan

MMP, JLTRT, PRMRP

SBT

SBT

30/31

MMP (31/0, 31/1&31/4 early, 31/1&31/4 late), DJH (31/0 & 31/1, 31/4), PRMRP (31/1 or 31/4), Skytrex, Heljan (2012?)

Type 3’s

MMP, JLTRT, Heljan, Lima, PRMRP (33/0 & 33/1)

JLTRT, Heljan, Tri-ang,

JLTRT (early, late & refurbished), Heljan (RTR), DJH, PRMRP (37/0, 37/4 or 37/5), Skytrex

Type 4’s

MMP, JLTRT, DJH (RTR), PRMRP (disk version), Skytrex

41 (D600-D604)

SBT

42 (Warships)

Tower, Malcolm McGeechan/Model Express

43 (HST)

PRMRP

JLTRT

JLTRT, PRMRP (final version), (Skytrex?)

JLTRT

47/8

MMP (kit1 for versions up to 1990, kit2 for subsequent versions), DJH, PRMRP (47/3, 47/4 or 47/7), Heljan,

JLTRT (original & refurbished ), PRMRP (refurbished)

JLTRT, PRMRP, Heljan (coming?)

No known model (yet!).

Type 5’s

DJH, PRMRP, Skytrex, W&C, Heljan

MMP, PRMRP

MMP (57/0, 57/3 & 57/6)

MMP, PRMRP

PRMRP, W&C

MMP, PRMRP

PRMRP

PRMRP

No known model (yet!).

Key;

MMP - Modern Motive Power. Web: http://www.djparkins...tive_Power.html

JLTRT - Just like the real thing. Web: http://www.justliketherealthing.co.uk/

Sky - Skytrex, all RTR. Web: http://www.ogauge.co.uk/

DJH - DJH kits and RTR. Web: http://www.djhmodell...UK&Power=Diesel

Bach - Bachmann. (only a last few from Tower models)

JED - Judith Edge. Web: http://www.ukmodelsh...ogue/judithedge

SBT - Steve Beattie. Web: http://www.ukmodernimage.com/

Heljan - Heljan, all RTR. Web: http://www.Heljan.dk...log&gruppeid=26

Tower - Tower models, some ex DJH and ex Bachmann. Web: http://www.tower-models.com/

PRMRP - Prototype Replica Model Railway Products. Web: http://www.prmrp.com/index.htm

W&C - Wagon and Carriage works. Web: http://www.wagonandcarriage.co.uk/

RPRC - the Right Price Railway Company.

El Crappo - More details, please!

Prestige10 - mainly 10mm kits but some 7mm. Web: http://www.prestige1...ge-2/4529017194

Well, that seems to be it! This has been compiled over several days hunting on the internet so there may be other kits out there that I have never heard of before, possibly that were produced then went out of production before the internet came along. I was fairly sure there was a model of ‘Kestrel’ available in 7mm but I can no longer find any reference to it, for example.

I hope this list is of use to someone out there - if nothing else, I am sure I will refer to it myself in the future.

Cheers all,

John E.

Edited to show amendements suggested!

• RMweb Gold

There is mention on DEMU forum of "Nationalised Railways" doing a 20 and a 40. It would appear from a quick Google that they also have other classes in the range

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andi,

Thanks for that, i'd never heard of them before. Are they something to do with "Model Express", perhaps?

Cheers,

John E.

P.S. Not a member of DEMU so i can't get onto their forum!

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about the company at all, but it may be telling that the mention came in a thread discussing the worst representations of prototypes...

Andi

Hi John,

many thanks for producing your list, a great help to all of us. The only omission is Bachmann from the 24 & 25 list.

I also noted elsewhere, that MMP are bringing out additional (and upgrades of existing) kits in about four months time, so there may be more amendments to the list then.

regards

Mike

10100/Fell 1950 No known model (yet!).

Not quite. A1 Models seem happy to provide sets of 7mm etchings of their Rod Neep-designed 4mm scale kit. They go for much less new than they do on eBay, where they're invariably described as 'rare' or 'one off'. Which they're not, but they do have to be ordered and paid for in advance.

I have a set of these etches unbuilt and you may wish to reserve judgement of how well they represent 10100 (as for the 4mm scale kit). Dave Lowry (I think) covered a build of the 0-gauge version in Model Rail a few years back.

There are also the odd 'one-off' or 'test etch' builds available, such as the Judith Edge 11001 (Bulleid 500hp). Mike Edge kindly provided one to me as a 7mm test etch based on his 4mm kit. The results are on my old workbench thread (link in my signature).

It should also be noted that the correct pattern wheels aren't available for either of these models in 7mm scale (or in 4mm either, I think...?)

I hope that adds something useful to the impending debate...

Steph

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments, i'm glad you appreciate it.

Now, how could i forget the Bachmann class 24 & 25?? D'oh!

I recall your comments about MMP, that's certainly something to look forward to!

Cheers,

John E.

Hello John,

Three more for your list -

MMP - Class 03

MMP - Class 07

MMP - Sentinel Shrewsbury 0-4-0 Industrial

All were released in 1989

They were sold to Eric Underhilll in 1994 and are now owned by ABS Models [& currently out of production.

Regards,

David Parkins,

Modern Motive Power

There used to be a Drewry 04 kit produced by Vulcan in the 80s.

It was available in 4mm and 7mm, I've built the 4mm one and have kept a look out for the 7mm version but with no luck so far.

Here are a few pics of my Jim Harris/A1 Fell, El Crappo class 22, El Crappo 10201, El Crappo 15 and a resin Malcolm McGeechan Class 42 Warship. Someone else has the Warship now, might be Model Express? Vulcan/ABS did the PWM shunters didn't they (someone did anyway)?

post-6766-128170011849_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128170012282_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128170012697_thumb.jpg

post-6766-128170013146_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12817001346_thumb.jpg

That Fell is lovely B) - the original, even if ugly and ultimately unsuccessful, was a fascinating experiment.

Is Jim Harris one of these suppliers with no web presence? I can Google a few references, but nothing definitive...

That Fell is lovely B) - the original, even if ugly and ultimately unsuccessful, was a fascinating experiment.

Is Jim Harris one of these suppliers with no web presence? I can Google a few references, but nothing definitive...

Jon,

I suspect that Brian's reference is to the A1 models kit/etches - I've just had mine out and the fret is clearly marked 'Rod Neep Design E524 1988'. Yes it's an interesting prototype I grant you, but the etches/kit is little bit of a caricature when you compare it to the GAs.

If you're after one the best bet is to make contact with A1 Models. As I said in my previous posting they seem happy to supply.

Jim Harris has no web presence; as far as I'm aware he's retired too...

Steph

Hi Giz,

there is a Vulcan 04 being advertised on the Gaige O Guild web Sales and Wants - listed under 'Services' on the rop down menus, if you are interested.

regards

Mike

Mike, thanks for that. Unfortunately that part of the site is members only and I've never got round to joining even though I go to Telford every year! Maybe this year.

Gary

Brian - love the Warship 'at Oxford', very good!

Wasn't there something about Heljan doing a R-T-R Deltic in 7mm a while back...?

Nidge wink.gif

Yes Nidge they are doing a Deltic after the 33 and 26. You might have seen the 33 and 26 in the press. I have tested them on my garden railway for them and think they are going to look ok when we see a fully finished one. The Deltic is still on the drawing board at the mo (just as well really with these others to buy!)

Glad your back as your post have been a bit thin on the ground recently haven't they?

Hi guys,

Thanks for so many very useful replies! I am becoming aware that there must be a fair few models available that are lurking out there, off the internet somewhere! Further research will throw them up, i'm sure.

What has surprised me is just how many of the prototype machines that have run in the UK are actually (or have been!) available in 7mm, quite remarkable really.

This list also shows that there is a fair amount of duplication across the ranges, although is it really duplication as some kits will be quite basic and need a lot of work while other kits will be fully complete, accurate and highly detailed!

Just an observation - any discussion on such matters would require another thread (please!).

Brian,

Thank you very much for the pictures, particularly of the 'Fell' and the 10201 - you made a really nice job of them! I've never seen 'Fell' in colour before, it actually looks rather good in a 'brutish' sort of way, no wonder people would like an rtr 4mm model!

Cheers,

John E.

Brian,

I've just had another look at the photo of your Fell and was wondering how it's driven? I can see you've managed to get the coupling rods (correctly) in sync, so how? Delrin chain drive? Or is it just a cleverly staged photo? ;)

John E,

Just to confirm that the A1 Fell is Rod Neep Design, not Jim Harris; might it also be worth adding that it's 'etches only'? There are no castings or even instructions in the version I had, thankfully there are plenty of LMS steam loco castings that will help complete the model. As I mentioned above I actually dug out my set of etches yesterday to check the name on the frets. The price was a not-unreasonable £60, IIRC.

Cheers,

Steph

I've never seen 'Fell' in colour before, it actually looks rather good in a 'brutish' sort of way, no wonder people would like an rtr 4mm model!

Cheers,

John E.

Now I wonder if you could persuade Heljan to do the Fell in 4mm as they are good at doing the one off'srolleyes.gif Any "proper" drawings of it out there?

Yes Nidge they are doing a Deltic after the 33 and 26. You might have seen the 33 and 26 in the press. I have tested them on my garden railway for them and think they are going to look ok when we see a fully finished one. The Deltic is still on the drawing board at the mo (just as well really with these others to buy!)

Glad your back as your post have been a bit thin on the ground recently haven't they?

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the Deltic Brian, I thought I'd misplaced my marbles for a moment there mate. I hope they're doing the body shell as built with the cabside quarter light windows and headcode panels intact, to rub alongside their 37. I shouldn't really be thinking about buying one with so many good WR offerings in 4mm about right now, but I can't help dreaming about doing Doncaster c1971 in 7mm rolleyes.gif . I've done practically zero modelling this year, mainly due to the house resembling a building site and playing around with old cars but I've been having a good old think about what I'd like to do long term. I think the Bachy Blue Pullman and Dapol D63xx might have some bearing on the matter though and I've been digging out a few old projects which have lain dormat for far too long. Looking again at your Warship shot..... it's pretty clear that Oxford station would make a good basis for a layout, or even a diorama of some sort. Everytime I hang around there waiting to work 6M22 north, the old grey cells start twitching wink.gif

Nidge

• 2 weeks later...

Brian,

I've just had another look at the photo of your Fell and was wondering how it's driven? I can see you've managed to get the coupling rods (correctly) in sync, so how? Delrin chain drive? Or is it just a cleverly staged photo? wink.gif

John E,

Just found this questionrolleyes.gif so better late than never with a reply. You are quite right the drive is via a delrin drive between the 2 sets of wheels. I suppose on the prototype the realized the drive was connected so did not need the center rods?

You are quite right the drive is via a delrin drive between the 2 sets of wheels. I suppose on the prototype the realized the drive was connected so did not need the center rods?

Brian,

It was a typical 'belt and braces' job by the BR designers that didn't work. The synchronisation between gear- and rod-coupled mechanisms is different so the rods induced very high wear in themselves and the gearbox. Apparently Fell Developments had warned them, but...

Thankfully not something I have to worry about. My Fell will be in as-built condition, so rod coupled. So that means making new rods as the ones on the etch don't have any joints :rolleyes: All part of challenge, along with making/modifying the wheels, sourcing all the castings and fittings, forming the body, etc, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Steph

Archived