Small 0-6-0 tender loco, late 19th century to BR era

post-6220-0-97580200-1345666576_thumb.jpg

The 01 class loco finally got repainted and runs O.K. but I am sure it will be out classed by the new Bachmann C class, more or less a model of the same prototype. ....

Er, not quite. Apparently similar outlines, yes, but two completely different classes / prototypes!

• Like 1

I thought they were more or less the same one an upgrade of an older engine and the other anew build version of the upgrade when some more were needed. They both share the same house style of design.

The C class were an uprated version of the London Chatham and Dover B2 class, and not based on a SER design. The O1 rebuilds look vaguely similar because they were rebuilt with standard SECR parts, which were based on LCDR practice.

The 'O1's were a Wainwright rebuild of an earlier SER Stirling engine, built originally with a low-pitched domeless boiler & rounded Stirling cab. The new boilers were identical to the SECR 'H' class, & a new Wainwright cab was fitted upon rebuilding. The same boilers were also used to rebuild the 'F' class 4-4-0's, 'R' class 0-6-0 tanks, & 'Q' class 0-4-4 tanks, hence the family resemblance. The 'C' class was a larger & heavier engine, although similar in style...

• Like 1

...and that is why the O1s lasted into early 1960/61, because their very low axle loading meant that they could go where most others could not.

Being such a small engine, they are bloody difficult to stuff a meaningful motor and geartrain into.

Edited by Horsetan

I hope to get one of the new Bachmann C class models when they come out. I'll be able to compare the two different models for size then. I don't know how much distortion the model O1 has so it can fit on the Hornby 0-6-0 Jinty chassis.

It runs well but with the resin body it is not very heavy so haulage is limited, I think for such small engines white metal would be a better material then the resin, because it would increase the weight. Golden Arrow have done a good job with the body although some of the detail is missing from the steps on one side. It looks right despite the wheels being under size. The best modification would be a motor in the chassis with a prop-shaft drive to the loco, freeing up room in the body for a ton of lead.

The art of Golden Arrow have done a good job with this one.

• Agree 1

• 8 years later...
On 30/08/2012 at 17:25, relaxinghobby said:

I hope to get one of the new Bachmann C class models when they come out. I'll be able to compare the two different models for size then. I don't know how much distortion the model O1 has so it can fit on the Hornby 0-6-0 Jinty chassis.

It runs well but with the resin body it is not very heavy so haulage is limited, I think for such small engines white metal would be a better material then the resin, because it would increase the weight. Golden Arrow have done a good job with the body although some of the detail is missing from the steps on one side. It looks right despite the wheels being under size. The best modification would be a motor in the chassis with a prop-shaft drive to the loco, freeing up room in the body for a ton of lead.

The art of Golden Arrow have done a good job with this one.

Yes, indeed.

This was the first retro-style model I created to celebrate Hornby's Centenary Year.

image.png.c19149ca02e3e48b0c7b32281a909325.png

This model is made in the style of Hornby Railways models from the early-to-mid 1990s. I was born in 1991 around the time of Hornby just when Bachmann began to Branchline out into the UK (if you pardon the pun) and this model was made with geniune Hornby parts for that authentic vintage feel. What do you think?

• Like 3

Good to see a completed kit. I guess it's the Golden Arrow resin body kit on a Hornby chassis.

Is it with the big old motor driving the front wheel or later type with a small motor driving the centre wheel.

With mine the main problem was bubbles in the resin which need to filled and sanded even.  I later replaced my centre wheels which had rubber traction tyres, with ones from another Hornby chassis with metal tyres and full depth flanges.

On 10/05/2021 at 15:43, relaxinghobby said:

Good to see a completed kit. I guess it's the Golden Arrow resin body kit on a Hornby chassis.

Is it with the big old motor driving the front wheel or later type with a small motor driving the centre wheel.

With mine the main problem was bubbles in the resin which need to filled and sanded even.  I later replaced my centre wheels which had rubber traction tyres, with ones from another Hornby chassis with metal tyres and full depth flanges.

You are correct. As for the motor, I can't recall but it definitely is the later one. The model runs well in both directions and is meant to be taken as a vintage-style model from the 1990s. What do you think? I know the screws on the side-rods are modern but I went for something reliable.

Surely you mean 1890s vintage ? A lovely example of one of the most typical types of engine on British Railways, big in it's day but tiny by the 1930s. By comparison with newer engines. Once a mainline engine later a small loco pottering around branch lines. I've never placed mine next to the new models of similar classes of these engines, the Hornby of Oxford Rail Dean Goods or Hornby J15.

For a size comparison I bet the O1 is the smallest.

I never noticed the screw in crank pins. They blend in OK I bet they are invisible at half a metre, don't worry.

Edited by relaxinghobby
improvement