2FS - Smokey Bacon

SteveBedding

Must admit...I thought the idea in general was to align the cross pieces with the sleeper positions so they become less hidden than using ballast - I recall that Dave M (Kylestrome) did this by first making a template in clear perspex to get the best positions so as to coincide with the sleepers - from memory, he did a splendid job.

Interesting point Pete,

It has been in the back of my mind that the cross pieces being placed between the sleepers could lead to 'interesting' ballasting :O but I hadn't got around to asking the question... (I'm glad the cunning plan has provoked some good suggestions and so I think I'll give it a go :) )

...but having got home with good intentions on the layout front - I've seen the pile to get through and my conscience got the better of me. Oh well, next available 'modelling slot' will be Monday night :(

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could solve the ballasting issue with the addition of extra bits of etch that were very small and fitted just under the rail area. You could then attach these small bits to the main etch bits so gaining the extra depth. I can only imagine that this would be a right pain to do. Not something that I would be looking to try.

• RMweb Premium

post-7669-128178628494_thumb.jpg

Is there a chance that this image is actually reversed - I am struggling to work out where this gate was. I did my O levels in the Gym (taller of the pitched roof buildings), did TD in the lower pitched roof building, whilst the girls did HE (or was it still called cookery then?) in that long low flat building. Happy days. The houses on the right are the Police houses which ran alongside the road from the Methodist Church/White Hart Pub/Conservative Club junction in Calne towards Bromham.

All of this has now gone - under a housing estate.

You'll need lots of siphons - my Dad remembers the era you are modelling well.

In the later listed photo looking up at the station along Station Road, the car is sitting opposed the Haris printworks - a Motley collection of single storey buildings where labels, boxes and advetising posters were printed.

Watching this post with great interest - well done and thanks.

• Like 2

Is there a chance that this image is actually reversed - I am struggling to work out where this gate was. I did my O levels in the Gym (taller of the pitched roof buildings), did TD in the lower pitched roof building, whilst the girls did HE (or was it still called cookery then?) in that long low flat building. Happy days. The houses on the right are the Police houses which ran alongside the road from the Methodist Church/White Hart Pub/Conservative Club junction in Calne towards Bromham.

All of this has now gone - under a housing estate.

You'll need lots of siphons - my Dad remembers the era you are modelling well.

In the later listed photo looking up at the station along Station Road, the car is sitting opposed the Haris printworks - a Motley collection of single storey buildings where labels, boxes and advetising posters were printed.

Watching this post with great interest - well done and thanks.

MIB

Thanks for you comments, glad you're enjoying it :)

Now that you raised the question of Bartb's photo, I've gone back and had another really good look at it - and with doubt in my mind, I find that I cannot place it at all :( . I had hastily assumed that the buildings in the background were the John Bentley School but in hindsight this cannot be right... ...I had initially just looked at the construction of the gate, not it's location! Referencing the Police Station helps a bit...

OK now I'm stumped! (But it is still a nice gate... :) )

As to the housing estate, sad to say this is still growing - even the industrial units that were built on the old station site (still there according to Google), have been demolished for yet more housing, even though this may have stalled...

On the subject of the Siphons, I reckon I would need about 20+ C's (4 wheeled) and 4 F's' (40" bogie) if I was to do all of the permutations (Newcastle, Southampton, Reading, Crewe, Paddington...et al) but reality (space and cost) means that I'll probably have to cut it down to 6 + 2. Unless I get the hang of this etching business and do it myself... ...but that's a cunning plan for another day :) .

And lastly thanks for the gem about Harris' print works - I never knew about this feature. I'd love to incorporate such features but unfortunately it is just off the area being covered.

It's a good job I've not yet started the scenery, I wouldn't want to include too many glaring errors... ...but I'd better get my act together with getting the track work progressed before I can worry too much about that :P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

with doubt in my mind, I find that I cannot place it at all :( . I had hastily assumed that the buildings in the background were the John Bentley School but in hindsight this cannot be right...

I have no doubt that the buildings are(were) John Bentley School as it was known in the Era you are modelling, and John Bentley School (North Wing) in the era I was there. The Cop Shop would have been there too during your period. South WIng of JBS was a 60s monstrosity that has now become JBS because as you say this site is now covered with little boxes.....

I am now 100% sure that the photo has been rotated in a mirror view. I will look at it again and try to place the gate.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That photo is without doubt reversed. The hut on the right is where the Air Cadet hut was (it went in about '85 IIRC). If you walked along Station Road (older photo with the car in it) towards the station, just as the road curved to the right (where the Fire Station now stands) there was a footpath uphill which lead to the school. It runs along the tree line on the right of the reversed photo. The path opened up at a School entrance between the TD room and the long low building where the girls all went to make scones when we went to draw odd wooden blocks. The footpath is marked on the upper of the maps you have posted.

The modern (ish) house isn't a Police House - it was a caretaker's house. The roof of one of the Police houses on the main road can be seen behind the caretaker's house.

That puts the location of the gate to be somewhere near ".745" on the upper map - way beyond the Station and somewhere in the cattle yard.

Doesn't help you with the model, but puts it all in perspective should you wish to "walk the course" and are short of references.

Not sure how the cattle were moved through Town - the abbatoir was the other side of the factory from the station - near Doctor's pond under what I guess must be Sainsbury's car park. The abbatoir was shut when i lived there - carcasses came in in 40 foot reefers by road.

The factory was huge - and looked not unlike 5 Metcalf warehouse kits joined together. If you go along North Street past the Jenny Wren pub, on the right is a stone mansion - looks a little out of place. It stood on the factory site and was moved stone by stone to free up space for pie making.

• Like 2

MIB

Many thanks for your further information - you're shedding new light that I wasn't aware of and leading to new directions of study (damn, sidetracked again... :) ).

I reckon you must be right that the photo from Bartb has been transposed - if this is the case, then it should look like this:

post-6085-003472200 1290778007_thumb.jpg

My hasty assumption that the school in the background was John Bentley appears to be correct in name only :( - I somehow lost track of the various school mergers, renaming, and even relocation of the school... In glaringly obvious 20-20 hindsight, there is no way that this could have been the 'current' school Doh!

After much scratching of the head, and with the great tips in your comments, I have come up with the plan below...

post-6085-070419600 1290778347_thumb.jpg

...on the 1936 Map, I suspect that the gate falls somewhere along the north side of the road that ran along the southern edge of the cattle market (now known as Wenhill lane), probably more likely towards the western end of this stretch?

In real terms it's precise position will have minimal effect on the layout, there is only a small part of Wenhill Lane being depicted on the frontage of the layout and I think it will not be unreasonable to use this design of gate for the one or two entrances to the cattle yard that will be modelled. That said, if you (or anyone else), has any more information of this area of the layout, I'd be delighted to hear about it .

As to your question of how the cattle got to the abattoir, I can't answer this specifically, but I have seen a photo from the early 1900's of pigs being herded directly from the station to the town centre along Station Road!

(PS I used to know the Jenny Wren well... :P )

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

MIB

Many thanks for your further information - you're shedding new light that I wasn't aware of and leading to new directions of study (damn, sidetracked again... :) ).

I reckon you must be right that the photo from Bartb has been transposed - if this is the case, then it should look like this:

post-6085-003472200 1290778007_thumb.jpg

My hasty assumption that the school in the background was John Bentley appears to be correct in name only :( - I somehow lost track of the various school mergers, renaming, and even relocation of the school... In glaringly obvious 20-20 hindsight, there is no way that this could have been the 'current' school Doh!

After much scratching of the head, and with the great tips in your comments, I have come up with the plan below...

post-6085-070419600 1290778347_thumb.jpg

...on the 1936 Map, I suspect that the gate falls somewhere along the north side of the road that ran along the southern edge of the cattle market (now known as Wenhill lane), probably more likely towards the western end of this stretch?

In real terms it's precise position will have minimal effect on the layout, there is only a small part of Wenhill Lane being depicted on the frontage of the layout and I think it will not be unreasonable to use this design of gate for the one or two entrances to the cattle yard that will be modelled. That said, if you (or anyone else), has any more information of this area of the layout, I'd be delighted to hear about it .

As to your question of how the cattle got to the abattoir, I can't answer this specifically, but I have seen a photo from the early 1900's of pigs being herded directly from the station to the town centre along Station Road!

(PS I used to know the Jenny Wren well... :P )

AAAAAAArgh - flashback to French in the tall building, penultimate floor left hand window as we look at it!!!!!!!!!!! Get me my restraints..........

Wenhill Lane was called that in the 80s - I guess it has a sign now. Wenhill Farm at the end - yes. Wenhill Lane ran alongside the school not where that gate is. I left in about 83 and there was no road needing a kerb as seen in the foreground. Tha waste ground was outside the cadet hut on the site of the old cattle market.

You view arrow needs to point more to the SE. The U shaped school buildings on the map are single story - you see the roof and a chimney (above where I did chemistry......much happier times than French) of the Northern side (running EW) in the photo - above the "modern wavy roofed" building.

The gate is to the right of "140" on that map. Not a clue what the kerb is for. It was definitely all waste ground in 83.

The building with the chinmey and roof in view between the 2 tall trees (behind the caretaker's house) is the building at ".307"

I think the car is 20/30 meters further North up Station Road and your location for the Printers needs a shift to the Nth.

Sorry to those who are lost in this, but it makes it much easier for anyone needing to "walk the course". (if it isn't covered in little "boxes" now too.)

The footpath had 2 gradients - first was 1 in 20 ish, and halfway it got steeper. Too steep for a 5 gear pushbike in them days.............

I used to wait at the gate (small fir tree half obscured by cookery block) for Mandy XXXXXX on a wednesday in the hope that there was a freshly baked scone up for grabs:P . If not "Big Mark"'s Mum always came up with a bag of still warm pie crusts out of the back of the factory - damaged stock just out of the oven.

I'd just bought my Stannier 4P in LMS lake and my 2251 Collett 060 round about then. Collett has just been dusted off and the 4p went for a handsome price on Ebay in Jan - it was barely run in and mint boxed.

• Like 2

Close, but still not quite right.

The school in the photo is Fynamore Secondary Modern School which merged with Bentley Grammar School in 1974 to become the John Bentley School. The former Fynamore buildings became John Bentley School North Wing and the Bentley Grammar School buildings became John Bentley School South Wing. North Wing was eventually sold off for housing with the proceeds being used to construct new buildings on the South Wing site. That is where the school remains to this day.

The buildings in the photo were never part of Bentley Grammar School. They did, however, host the Calne Model Railway Show for several years. The exhibition moved to its current venue at the Calne Leisure Centre following demolition of the buildings on the former Fynamore site.

One of the buildings in the background is the school hall in which Chris Hewitt's EM gauge model of Calne was displayed in the 1990s. Chris is returning with the layout to the Calne Leisure Centre on 22 & 23 January next year.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Steve,

That's great to be able to have detailed hands on knowledge of the prototype you are building.

For one minute, when I started to read these posts I thought you were going to have to unstick those track plans and have a rethink...Phew to that one :blink:

• Like 1

I have spotted something else which is confusing matters. There are more school buildings in the photo than appear on your map. By the time the photo was taken Fynamore School had been extended and the buildings nearest the camera faced onto Wenhill Lane. I think the land in the foreground is the old cattle market site and the gate must be in Station Road, from where the picture was taken.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

the gate must be in Station Road, from where the picture was taken.

Geoff Endacott

The gate can't be in Station Road. Station Road is a long way behind the photographer and down the slope. There is a big drop in level between Wenhill Lane and Station Road.

• Like 2

I must be barking mad - sitting here in a caravan in Henley reading RMweb over a moibile broadband link - it's absolutely piggin' freezing !!!:blink: Only 1 more week before SWMBO finishes this job and comes home - then we can keep the camping for when it's warm B) !

Anyway, it appears the illustrious photo has developed a life of its own!!! As Pete noted, it's great that there are people out there who know the area in detail and are willing toi contribute to the debate - many thanks to MIB and Geoff :D

AAAAAAArgh - flashback to French in the tall building, penultimate floor left hand window as we look at it!!!!!!!!!!! Get me my restraints..........

.....I used to wait at the gate (small fir tree half obscured by cookery block) for Mandy XXXXXX on a wednesday in the hope that there was a freshly baked scone up for grabs:P . If not "Big Mark"'s Mum always came up with a bag of still warm pie crusts out of the back of the factory - damaged stock just out of the oven...

I loved your recollectioins of school days - in a similar vein I used to wait to meet a cetain 'miss madam' ( :O ) when her bus passed through the village where I was at school, just to see what the results of the days HE were, thankfully she ended up as the 'first ex-wife' :P

As to the position of the old car and the Harris Printworks, these were only approximations from your descriptions - I was trying to give a rough indication from your description, but as they both fall outside of the boundary of the layout I'll park the correction. If I had another foot all round for the layout I'd love to include such details but I'm afraid that falls under the compromise of space limitations :(

Close, but still not quite right.

The school in the photo is Fynamore Secondary Modern School which merged with Bentley Grammar School in 1974 to become the John Bentley School. The former Fynamore buildings became John Bentley School North Wing and the Bentley Grammar School buildings became John Bentley School South Wing. North Wing was eventually sold off for housing with the proceeds being used to construct new buildings on the South Wing site. That is where the school remains to this day.

The buildings in the photo were never part of Bentley Grammar School. They did, however, host the Calne Model Railway Show for several years. The exhibition moved to its current venue at the Calne Leisure Centre following demolition of the buildings on the former Fynamore site.

Thanks for the correction - my fault in not reading the wiki summary right :( . I left the area in '73 and didn't return until '01and didn't see the changes first hand. I have a more recent perspective on the 'names' of the schools - my 3 children all went to the new Fynamore (a primary school on the NW side of Calne), and my eldest did spend a few months at the 'new' John Bentley secondary school between moves. This recent 'knowledge' as much as anything probably skewed my perceptions when looking at the map and trying to place the photo.

I have spotted something else which is confusing matters. There are more school buildings in the photo than appear on your map. By the time the photo was taken Fynamore School had been extended and the buildings nearest the camera faced onto Wenhill Lane. I think the land in the foreground is the old cattle market site and the gate must be in Station Road, from where the picture was taken.

Geoff Endacott

The confusion probably comes from placing the photo (circa '86 I beleive) on the 1936 OS Map - there were probably quite a few new buildings in the interveneing 50 years ;)

The gate can't be in Station Road. Station Road is a long way behind the photographer and down the slope. There is a big drop in level between Wenhill Lane and Station Road.

I think MIB is right on this one... ...the distance from the gate to the school buldings is far to close for Station Road and the slope/height of the hill does not match. Either the road behind the gate is the route upto Wenhill farm (Wenhill Lane) and this shows the southern boundary of the cattle yard, or, the depth of field is desceptive and Wenhill Lane passes behid the slight rise in front of the buildings which would put this gate somewhere in the middle of the cattle yard. I suspect the former.

I drove round the estate this morning trying to reconcile the '86 photo and MIBs description (once I'd got my head around the siting of the old school buildings...) with the lay of land but I have to confess that I couldn't get a clear understanding because of all of the 'little boxes' that have contaminated the site...:P

• Like 1

Wenhill Lane is definitely behind the slight rise in the photo. When we held the exhibition at the school, the vehicular access was via Wenhill Lane. If you parked a car with its front against the wall of the buildings in the photo, its rear was adjacent to the road - Wenhill Lane. That puts the distance between the buildings and and Wenhill Lane at about five yards.

The photograph is taken looking uphill so if the gate isn't in Station Road, it must be somewhere in the old cattle market site.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Wenhill Lane runs along the side of the low school building ( HE classrooms) (Left to right behind the bank in the photo) The trees are on the Nth edge of Wenhill Lane.

That gate is definitely in the old cattle yard. I think it is where the "140" is. Where the words "cattle market" are was the ATC hut and to the Nth of it is a track that runs NE and seems to peter out. It continued as a well trodden path by cadets heading off from the hut towards the proper path to Station Road. ( I was one of them)

Where the gate stands was a hedge line and I don't rmember the gate - perhaps it was over grown in the early 80s and all looked like a hedge. The area was partially cleared in about 84/85 when the cadet hut was pulled down and rubble mounds on the site were levelled ready for "boxes".

• Like 1

I am sorry if I have caused problems with my photo, if only I had take more photo's. These are my memories of the time I took the photo.

I moved to Calne in June 1985, and I went to the site of the old station the first week. As you walked up station road, there was a building on the left, and as you went around the bend you could see a platform with a building on it. I did not return to the site until February 86, and by that time they had demolished the platform and building. That is when I took the photo. I can't remember where I was standing at the time, though I have checked maps. A post scrip to this story is that I acquired a few floor board from the building, and put them up in the loft. I also have a picture of the factory when they were pulling it down, I will see if I can find it. On that same day (Feb 86) I walked along the old track bed to Black dog halt, and took another photo of leaving Calne. I will attach it, but hope it does not cause any more problems.

John

post-7669-053123500 1290882062_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I am sorry if I have caused problems with my photo, if only I had take more photo's...

John

John,

Your photo's are not causing problems - please keep them coming! Anything else you find, especially anything that shows the factory buildings, would be of great benefit to me.

For my benefit, the 'Calne-gate' saga has had the advantage of giving me a nice prototype to include within the bounds of the cattle market/yard; that the precise location is 'under review' :P just shows how useful RMweb can be in tapping into first-hand local knowledge (thanks Geoff & MIB).

Could I ask anyone else out there who has any photo's of Calne Station, the Harris factory area, or the cattle yard & market, if you would kindly post them up on this thread - all details or overall perceptions will help to enhance the overall layout. Many thanks in anticipation :)

• Like 1

Hi Steve I have dug out 2 slides of the Harris factory in Calne that I took when they were demolishing it, I can't remember if it was 85 or 86. I have checked my slides and my photo's, and the only other ones are of Black dog halt , a road bridge over the old track bed , and where the railway crossed the A4. How I wish I took more photo's.

Where's Tardis when you want it! Good luck with the layout

John

I just had a thought how about putting an add in the local paper to see if anyone has any photo's of the station and goods yard area.

post-7669-053955700 1290969282_thumb.jpg

post-7669-058794600 1290969345_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks John

It's coming back to me - as a child, I used to live in Hilmarton from '71-'73 and these views of Calne are dimly familiar. We didn't go to Calne very often (because of the 'ambient aroma...') but I can recall the town from that time, and these photo's are bringing it all back :) . It certainly looks (and smells) a lot different now...

• Like 1

Steve if you want to use any of my photo's when you get around to exibiting your layout, please feel free.

John

I just remembered I have a cardboard box from Harris's up in my loft, I will get it down and take a photo of it for you. If we ever meet I will give you the box to exibit with your layout

John

• Like 2

Steve

I've been following this thread for some time with interest. Your request for more info about the Harris Factory leads me to suggest the 'Access To Archives' programme - (www.a2a.org.uk) which lists the documents, maps etc lodged with ALL the UK records offices. a Basic search on 'Harris Factory, Calne' revealed 13 hits - most at the 'Wilts & Swindon Record Office' in Chippenham. I've not listed them here (some were obviously not relevant) - you may want to do your own search. A more detailed search engine is available from the results page.

As a matter of interest, Wlits & Swindon Records Office is also the respositiory for a huge amount of Great Western archive material from the works...

Hope this helps

Ian

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

Having just recently discovered RMweb I only came across your thread today and have spent the last 2 hours absolutely absorbed by it. I too model the GWR in the post WWII, pre-Nationalisation era though in my case it is in standard N Gauge using Peco Code 55 track. I have also built my baseboards in a similar open grid system to yours though, as the layout will never leave home, I've used 12mm ply for the gridwork and 6mm ply for the trackbed. I plan to start a thread of my own shortly but my humble efforts are as nothing compared to yours.

The amount of research you have done is almost beyond belief and the baseboard joinery is some of the best I have ever seen. Add to that the fact that you're building the trackwork yourself to 2mm Finescale standard and you have my total respect and admiration. It all adds up to a layout that will be something really special and I look forward to following your thread as it developes.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

Steve if you want to use any of my photo's when you get around to exibiting your layout, please feel free.

John

I just remembered I have a cardboard box from Harris's up in my loft, I will get it down and take a photo of it for you. If we ever meet I will give you the box to exibit with your layout

John

John, thanks for the offer - I'd love to see a photo of the Harris box - I can feel another cunning plan for dedicated stock boxes coming on...

I'll be going to the Calne Model Rail Show in January next year to see Chris Hewitt's EM gauge model of Calne to see how much I can learn from that one, if you happen to get to that show it would be a pleasure to meet up.

Steve

I've been following this thread for some time with interest. Your request for more info about the Harris Factory leads me to suggest the 'Access To Archives' programme - (www.a2a.org.uk) which lists the documents, maps etc lodged with ALL the UK records offices. a Basic search on 'Harris Factory, Calne' revealed 13 hits - most at the 'Wilts & Swindon Record Office' in Chippenham. I've not listed them here (some were obviously not relevant) - you may want to do your own search. A more detailed search engine is available from the results page.

As a matter of interest, Wlits & Swindon Records Office is also the respositiory for a huge amount of Great Western archive material from the works...

Hope this helps

Ian

Ian

Thanks for the suggestion and pointers. I actually live about 10 miles from the 'Wilts & Swindon Record Office' in Chippenham and with an enforced period of 'working from home' :P over the next month (..evicted while the office relocates across the road...), I am actually intending to spend some of my diligently working time in that fine establishment ;) . (It's an added bonus that the cornish pasty shop is just round the corner... :D )

Hi Steve,

Having just recently discovered RMweb I only came across your thread today and have spent the last 2 hours absolutely absorbed by it. I too model the GWR in the post WWII, pre-Nationalisation era though in my case it is in standard N Gauge using Peco Code 55 track. I have also built my baseboards in a similar open grid system to yours though, as the layout will never leave home, I've used 12mm ply for the gridwork and 6mm ply for the trackbed. I plan to start a thread of my own shortly but my humble efforts are as nothing compared to yours.

The amount of research you have done is almost beyond belief and the baseboard joinery is some of the best I have ever seen. Add to that the fact that you're building the trackwork yourself to 2mm Finescale standard and you have my total respect and admiration. It all adds up to a layout that will be something really special and I look forward to following your thread as it developes.

Keep up the good work.

Trevor,

Thank you for your very kind words, its nice to know that my ramblings are of interest. I've just read your blog on 'Chipping & Much Binding' and I am mightily impressed with the model of the model; its going to be a cracker when it's done! Would I be right in guessing that the smaller terminus is missing "in-the-marsh" from its name...?

As to the research, it's more about procrastination really and the carpentry is about the only area that isn't new to me - the finescale modelling concept is still very daunting :blink:

• Like 1

Would I be right in guessing that the smaller terminus is missing "in-the-marsh" from its name...?

Hi Steve and thank you also for your kind words.

As regards Much Binding I must admit the old Flanders and Swan song did come to mind at the time but the real background to the naming of the branch line station was more to do with the expletives (BLINDING) used when building the baseboards. Chipping is nothing more than an obtuse reference to it being a DCC layout.

As for the Model of the Model, I really enjoyed building it though making up some of the Scalescenes kits at 1:730 scale did test the eyesight at times. The little overbridge has 27 parts to it and is only 1cm x 1cm x 7mm. Talk about micro engineering.

• Like 2