Hemerdon Bank

pirouets

• RMweb Premium

I feel that it should be somewhere between the grey and the brown that you have used. The grey seems to dark yet the brown is overly light. Giving the brown several washes of grey could bring the colour towards the real one. Depending on the weather I will be going near to Hemerdon tomorrow and could take a little detour (This will also be dependent on how long and how successful the main part of my day tomorrow is).

I like the brown landscape.

• RMweb Gold

Simon. That site is fantastic so a big thank you. I'm going to email Rob Barnes to see if he would crop a couple of photos to give me a better picture of the track work.

The site is also a pain as it shows me some errors I have made in the landscape form. Not sure what I will do about that just yet.

I also need to think about the track work as by the mid 70's it was concrete sleepers between the bridges up from Plymouth, whilst at the other end of the sidings it was still wooden as shown in this link - http://taillampphotography.com/Graphics%20Used%20For%20Website/D1011_D1015/MKLRa52_013_05.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

So nothing has really happened over the summer apart from the mod roc work as I have been playing way to much golf, but as we bask in this final gift of summer heat, and having played my second to last serious competion for the year I find myself starting to think about getting cracking and a few warm nights tucked up in the shed modelling.

But where on earth do I restart is the question? I scribbled down a list of what its going to take to finish the layout and came up with around 70 main jobs to be done. Funny how a simple scenic layout is going to take me longer than any of my other layouts.

After a little while I came up with 3 things to start with over the next few weeks

- Ballasting as I did narrow this down over the summer.

- Cut the backscene down by around 6cm. That way I will have a better view in to the fiddle yard via the mirrors.

- Create mock ups for each of the buildings as this will help me then think about how they fit in the whole scene.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So work restarts. I'm starting with the road end of the layout and as can been seen in the pictures below I have put down some of the grass cover and laid the main track to the farm. This area is a test really as its the first time I have tried this much static grass. I'm using a Noch Puffer bottle to put the grass down. Depending how this area goes I may or may not by a GrassTech II at Warley.

The next step is to buy another couple of bags of grass to complete this area.

post-773-0-39249000-1319316518.jpg

post-773-0-81602200-1319316523.jpg

I also have done some more research into the trains that ran and have found that milk traffic was running at the end of the 60s. Not sure where those wagon will come from so in the mean time I have started on the learning curve of how to build clay wagons as i'm gonna need a stack of them. I joined the N Gauge society a while back and recently order 6 parkwood kits to have a crack at. They are fairly simple to put together. I've done my first and will adapt the instructions slightly which should make the second a bit easier.

post-773-0-91176000-1319316511.jpg

post-773-0-05950900-1319316504.jpg

For my next trick, I will have a crack at painting them. Now that could be interesting and very messy.

At least with the clay wagons you can make the decision not to letter them, they were always so caked in clay that you could never see the lettering anyway, especially for an N gauge model. I have a couple fo short rakes on my layout and have just weathered them down. Will take and add a piccie later today, Taunton show visit first.

I like the layout though, nice and simple, should be great to operate as well.

Best wishes

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've completed the first layer for the section between the lane and the farm house. Whilst I prefer the texture the grass gives i'm not sure the Noch puffer bottle will do for the rest. There are area's where the grass is a bit thin that I need to revisit, and secondly, its knackering to keep puffing the bottle again and again to get the area covered.

I'll do some searching at Warley next week.

post-773-0-00981100-1321184805.jpg

I have knocked up a couple more clay wagons and i think I now have the steps worked out. The main thing I had to work out is how to trim the chassis as it is just longer than the wagon base it self which means the ends of the wagon do not go on. Attaching the chassis frame to the base and then trimming seems to work the best.

I've got 3 more to build for now, and then I think it will time to play around with painting. I bought Model Rail this month and will see how well the free scalescenes clay hoods reduce to N, but they look good.

post-773-0-19887800-1321184806.jpg

I got bored at work the other day and created this sketch of where I see the layout developing to. The idea has been around since the layout was conceived but re-reading Buckingham Great Central and Bradfield on RMweb has really got me thinking about the picture I hope to create. I doubt anything will happen about this though for at least another 12 months and may be longer.

post-773-0-16187200-1321184822_thumb.jpg

I like that future plan a lot! Good luck! Can definitely see the Forster Square inspiration there without even reading the text! :)

Only thing I would be tempted to do is to make the 3-way intersection part of the scenery - maybe look at Leeds-Bradford-Ilkley for inspiration with that...?

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the plan I feel that you want to add another crossover somewhere, otherwise you are going to find trains in sidings where you don't want them.

• RMweb Gold

Spent the day up at Warley and picked up an electric tea strainer. I chose this from a short piece in Model Rail this month

post-773-0-26702900-1321823325.jpg

It makes such a difference. The grass on the left in this picture is an autumn colour I put down some time ago with a noch puffer bottle. I chose not to use this shade as its to dark. On the right is the coverages I did tonight including covering the back with an earth shade and its so different.

post-773-0-86684500-1321823326.jpg

I can see many nights in the coming weeks on this.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

So I finally got going again recently and laid most of the basic turf. This has been a mix of the electric tea strainer and a puffer bottle. I'll leave the front part of the layout for a while as there is an awful lot of thinking to get that piece right such as the path and details round the signal box.

post-773-0-33488100-1328478284.jpg

post-773-0-62429600-1328478301.jpg

Over the coming weeks I will start on the bushes that need to be laid, starting with those alongside the lane.

I've also been doing some digging about the stock I need, and one of the key changes to be made is the fact I have a mix of Maroon + Cream & Chocolate, where as for late 60's I need maroon + blue/grey. I have some other stock to sell so will probably add about 1/2 of my chocolate and cream coaches to pay for the change as looking at the web, there should be some stock available in the next few weeks, plus i've saved up some spare cash.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been quiet for a while now, but a few things have been happening. I'm starting to work on the template for the signal box at the moment. I have a couple of images that I have found on the internet. The challenge has been to work out just how big the box is. I started out with it being scale 35ft but that was way to big. Attempt 2 took it down another 5ft and then the picture below shows attempt 2 & 3 side by side with the scale size now being 25ft.

One thing that helped is a review of an L&Y signal box kit in Railway Modeller that had a similar window layout, and that was 23ft. I need a few tweaks to the template but the next step will be to have a 2nd go and add the windows.

post-773-0-87173300-1336422201.jpg

I've done some more on the clay wagon kits and put the scale scenes cover on one of them and it seems to work OK. One thing I think these wagons will benefit from is some weight under the cover, so will add a big dolop of blue tack to each before the cover goes on.

post-773-0-22563900-1336422200.jpg

Finally a few bits have been done to the cutting down by ledgate lane. I'vge added some ground cover as a starter which seems to work. This is a mix of 3 types to break up a single shade of green. The other is short pieces of strip painted grey to represent the fence by the line. Given its n gauge i'm not going to try adding the wire (yet - I do have an idea for how to do this)

post-773-0-58617800-1336422198.jpg

post-773-0-02287400-1336422197.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Got my modelling shoes on again and have been playing around with the bushes that go along the road. I had some trees that had been bought previously along with a couple of trees that my kids had made for them at a show. As a starter for 10 I think the scene is coming together.

post-773-0-04332800-1339963391.jpg

Clay Wagons. These have been going for a while now and reading an article in Railway Modeller gave the inspiration to have a go, so I have been dry brushing some primer on to the wagons. I'm not sure any of these will become runners but I have certainly learnt a lot building these. Key error is lack of weight and the fact I think the base frame sides may just be too tight as the wheels only run smoothly on 3 of them.

post-773-0-86055800-1339963385.jpg

Long views. Key thing that was done today was to slice off 5cm from the top of the backscene. This means that I can see properly over the top to the mirror. Also inspired by Kenton painting his backscene a trip to B&Q saw me come home with a light sky coloured paint and it does make the scene look so much better. Just a few hundred trees to think about.

post-773-0-00494100-1339963384.jpg

post-773-0-18642300-1339963382.jpg

Tidy desk finally. Finally found the remote for my DVD player again.

post-773-0-99529200-1339963379.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As regards weights for the clay hoods, I use aquarium plant weights, they are thin strips of lead. You can glue them under the frames of some wagons or put in the base of others. I did this to a number of peco kit wagons and a couple of useless Poole era Farish ones and they were much better runners. The plant weights cost much less than liquid gravity and are easily cut with scissors or clippers.

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I did not realise it had been so long since an update. Looking back 9 months I now see I have done stuff, as recently I walk in the shed and wonder whether I want to continue. Maybe that's how to get some mojo back. So where are we?

Looking at the layout from either end you can see some tree's appearing. I think I have blogged on these in the mean time and the method settled on was picture wire. I've also completed the main coverage of scatter and this will need topping up to make the cover a bit deeper

post-773-0-69377400-1368101914.jpg

post-773-0-38596000-1368101913.jpg

My attempts at silver birch trees are OK I think. I do need to find a couple of other shades to add to the mix so its not a uniform colour. 

post-773-0-04790400-1368101912.jpg

As for the farm, you can see the shell of a farm house, but I think I have not allowed enough space. I've been slowly knocking up the scalescenes barn and its a lot bigger than I originally allowed for. 

post-773-0-74410200-1368101910.jpg

I have 2 options in my head. 

- Butt the barn up to the back scene so I can add in the other farm building on the site and do the same with the farm house

- cheat and just use the farm house and barn and change the scene from the reality of the site.

Will decide once I have both in place.

I also have another 12 clay wagon kits to get cracking with but first I need to tidy the shed up as its a mess with tools after a weekend of building a hughe planter for the garden. This made me realise how much junk I have allowed to collect in the shed in the last 3 years. THIS MUST STOP!!!!!!

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its been 10 months since the last post so what have I been up to. Well things have progressed but no where near as fast as they used to as my golf bug has been well and truely in the way for a while

Looking down the layout you can see that most of the trees are now in and the hedgerow is starting to grow. Some of the trees I think I will take another stab at later on as they are to dense but they will do for now

post-773-0-78614500-1395610417_thumb.jpg

The farm is progressing. The barn is finished and in pace. The farmhouse is the scalescenes model. This is wrong for the site but I could not figure out how to do the 1st floor windows and building this model has shown me. I will complete this for now and then think about having a crack at how it is in reality.

post-773-0-44569400-1395610166_thumb.jpg

A quick shot down the line shows the metcalfe signal box. Again whilst the right size the top part should be brick rather than wooden frame. Will think about this later in the year now I have this as a template

post-773-0-48364300-1395610168_thumb.jpg

Speaking of the tree's earlier this show hopefully shows why I think some trees are a bit do dense

post-773-0-51716000-1395610167.jpg

There has also been progress with some more clay wagons so just need to get painting with this lot.

post-773-0-82618000-1395610164.jpg

A new toy arrived last week. The Dapol 52 is a crackimg model and runner.

post-773-0-42546300-1395610163_thumb.jpg

Any way, must go as I think I have left the shed switch on.

post-773-0-93559200-1395610169_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Something else struck me today after reading and posting in the thread about how people found RMweb.

When I started this I thought it would be a fairly quick build as its a piece of scenery rather than station/townscape and yet at 3 1/2 years this is now the longest layout I will have had since I started modelling and if I really got my finger out I might just about be able to finish it by the end of the year.

Who knew that trying to make a bit of gardening could take so much time :-)

• RMweb Gold

Its been 10 months since the last post so what have I been up to. Well things have progressed but no where near as fast as they used to as my golf bug has been well and truely in the way for a while

Looking down the layout you can see that most of the trees are now in and the hedgerow is starting to grow. Some of the trees I think I will take another stab at later on as they are to dense but they will do for now

attachicon.gif230314_11_small.jpg

The farm is progressing. The barn is finished and in pace. The farmhouse is the scalescenes model. This is wrong for the site but I could not figure out how to do the 1st floor windows and building this model has shown me. I will complete this for now and then think about having a crack at how it is in reality.

attachicon.gif230314_6_small.jpg

A quick shot down the line shows the metcalfe signal box. Again whilst the right size the top part should be brick rather than wooden frame. Will think about this later in the year now I have this as a template

attachicon.gif230314_9_small.jpg

Speaking of the tree's earlier this show hopefully shows why I think some trees are a bit do dense

attachicon.gif230314_8_small.jpg

There has also been progress with some more clay wagons so just need to get painting with this lot.

attachicon.gif230314_4_small.jpg

A new toy arrived last week. The Dapol 52 is a crackimg model and runner.

attachicon.gif230314_1_small.jpg

Any way, must go as I think I have left the shed switch on.

You must be a serious golf addict to have played much in the weather we have had over the last few months.

golf, er, um ah, give me a moment...

That one of those sportie thingies where you have to play with small balls?

Anyway, I remember a quote about golf saying that it was too much walking for a good game and just enough game to spoil a good walk. Just looked, it was a guy called Harry Leon Wilson.

I am sure you enjoy it, and this from someone that likes watching cars go round in circles!!

Back to the layout, it is looking great and progressing well, congratulations!

Simon

Archived