Ampton - Post-privitisation OO in the south.

Red Fox

• RMweb Gold

EDIT - 2020. Work on Ampton version 3 is underway, see from Page 3.

Ampton version 2

Concept

Four platform though station based on Southampton Central serving a large town. Somewhere in the South West Trains area but also with services from Southern, First Great Western/Wessex Trains and Virgin/CrossCountry. Plenty of through freight.

Ampton is on a fictional line with links to the West of England Mainline, Wessex Mainline and South Western Main Line (via WoE and Wessex Mainlines). I have a whole backstory in mind for the layout and its fictional line.

Because I've taken so long to build the layout its looking like I will be running the layout in two eras:-

2004 to 2006 with South West Trains, Virgin Cross Country, Wessex Trains, First Great Western, South Central/Southern, EWS, GBRf, and Freightliner.

Present day with South West Trains, CrossCountry, First Great Western, Southern, DB Schenker, GBRf and Freightliner.

Baseboards

Three roughly 4 foot by 2 foot boards of plywood construction. Four curved basboards connecting to three fiddle yard boards.

Track

Lines for platforms 2 and 3 and a siding are SMP code 75 bullhead track. Platforms 1 and 4 are Peco code 82 rail with Fastrack concrete sleepers.

Track in the fiddle yard and in hidden areas will be Peco code 100.

The pointwork in the scenic area is on boards 1 and 2. Peco code 75 electrofrogs with SEEP point motors are used.

Fiddle yard and hidden points will be Peco code 100 insulfrog points.

Control

Track - DCC. Was a Bachmann Dynamis until it gave up the ghost so back to my reliable Lenz Set 100.

Points and Signals - Conventional control panel.

Scenics

While the trackplan is based on Southampton Central the surrounding buildings are not and the intention is to give the impression of more modern surroundings in a regeneration area. The station building is a Busch Container Station with modified Faller footbridge and canopies. A low relief shopping centre/office complex will be scratch built due to lack of suitable models on the market. Platforms 2 and 3 use Peco concrete platform edging, 1 and 4 have modified plain Peco edging giving a more modern look.

Signals

Roger Murray four aspect signals on commissioned gantries based on the prototype. SPAD signals are a possibility but these are likely to be non working representations.

Progress up to about 2009 ???

post-462-0-60034400-1307817934_thumb.jpg

post-462-0-74129300-1307817986_thumb.jpg

post-462-0-58078800-1307818004_thumb.jpg

post-462-0-28090100-1307818016_thumb.jpg

post-462-0-36926600-1307818024_thumb.jpg

And since then not a great deal has happened due to that pesky thing called work getting in the way. In the mean time I've had many ideas running through my head which hopefully will see the light of day at some point. Big jobs I really want to get done is sorting out the shopping centre building on board 3 and producing a suitable backscene. A major stock cull is likely to occur at some point in the near future to bring more focus to the layouts fleet and I am also planning abit of a re-engineering project decoder wise on my DMU fleet as the 2 and 3 car units are permanently coupled with lighting wires running between the coaches.

Edited by Red Fox
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This is going to be a real nice layout, realy nice start to the scenics also i do admire the attention to detail on the signalling inc the TSS TPWS grids (in the 4") Fantastic cool.gif

Cheers

Anthony

I have always liked the idea of Southampton, plenty of stock choice. The layout itself looks really good, I especially like the station building... I think I will have to hunt down some more pictures of it, could be a contender for my layout too.. Or an adapted one...

cheers

Scott

Would you believe it, the station is discontinued, can't find one anywhere... smiley35.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Started work today on reworking my DMU's. Up to now the 158's, 159's and 170's have all ran with their coaches permanently coupled due to wires running between coaches to allow use of one decoder per unit. Since Lenz Golds came out I have been slowly replacing older Lenz decoders so I now have alot of spare LE1025's so I have started using these to operate the lights in the unpowered end of the units. On the 159's I've moved the motor to the first class coach. I had installed kadee couplers on two of the 159's but a third had yet to have them installed but already had the fake buckeye removed, the outer coaches of that unit became the centre coach for two 159's while a simarly prepared unpowered 158 chassis sorted the other one. The kadee fitted chassis were then shared out between the units so the four units dealt with today have a kadee at one end. Only a few problems encountered today. One was a burnt out Lenz Gold chip, not sure if it's completely dead or just needs resetting, which CV is it to reset Lenz Golds? CV8? I broke a few of the clips which hold the bogies on and I lost a screw to hold a bogie in place, until that's found or I get a spare from my doner unit one of the 159's is operating as a 2 car unit.

On the layout front I added most of the platform edging to platform 1, this is Peco plain edging with concrete block sheet stuck on, it is mean to give platform 1 and 4 a slightly more modern appearance but the jury's out on that one. There are some minor clearance issues to be addressed at one end of the platform.

My stock cull is under way with the DCC sound locos for the chop along with a few other locos, wagons and my Lenz set 100 and transformer.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A while has gone past with nothing really happening due to my pesky work getting in the way but there has been some progress:

post-462-000475700 1285442404_thumb.jpg

The footbridge is a modified Faller modern footbridge, I've cut it down in height somewhat as it was far too high for a UK structure. I've not yet added the lifts, I may wait and add them if and when I construct a 4th board. Platform edging is in place on three out of four platforms and lines 2 and 3 have been ballasted. With the footbridge now built I have a height reference for the low relief shopping centre which will be scratch built. I would like the station to have some canopy's and Faller make what I think would be a suitable design but they are abit too pricey..... (especially as I'm going to cut them up and modify them)

• Like 1

Morning,

Nice looking layout, i thought about doing Southampton Central as an Exhibition style layout, but decided it wouldn't be viable for now due to the lack of Southern/SWT/FGW stock.

However, i do wish you the best of luck, and will defo be subscribing to this.

Sam

Very nice layout Red Fox, some great scenic work. The tunnel area looks really good, is the brick building your Signal box? Looks excellent, a real modern feeling. Like the track too, have got some SMP Bullhead and Fastrack concrete sleeper myself and very pleased with it.

The Faller footbridge looks really good, keep up the good work.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the compliments guys :)

As for the station building It must of been the same designer as on my Hythe Parkway layout!

The Busch design house must have got a Network Rail contract???

Nice looking layout, i thought about doing Southampton Central as an Exhibition style layout, but decided it wouldn't be viable for now due to the lack of Southern/SWT/FGW stock.

The lack of EMU's is an annoyance but I have 158's and 159's for SWT, 171 and a 205 on order for Southern services and 150, 153 and 158's for FGW (none of which in FGW livery so by all accounts quite authentic then :lol: ). With the VEP and Desiro on the horizon, hopefully there will be more suitable stock to come. Quite well covered freight wise though.

is the brick building your Signal box?

It's a Network Rail office building, going to have a little work yard next to it. There is something else to go on the tunnel side of it which I hope to get started shortly.

I plan to start the 'budget hotel' building at some point within the next week or two, once that is done then I'll make a start on the roads.

Is this going to be an end-to-end, or a roundy-roundy?

I ask because I like what you've done, and it's only a bit more than the space I have available lengthwise (12-14ft) but I'd need 180 degree circles each end for storage at the rear (unless I make it a terminus of course) which then cuts down on the pointwork.

I like the "Walmington on Sea" layout but I don't want to make it a copy of that, if you know what I mean.

• RMweb Gold

Is this going to be an end-to-end, or a roundy-roundy?

Roundy-roundy eventually with fiddle yard to be added on the other side of the loft

I ask because I like what you've done, and it's only a bit more than the space I have available lengthwise (12-14ft) but I'd need 180 degree circles each end for storage at the rear (unless I make it a terminus of course) which then cuts down on the pointwork.

The layout could be done with less pointwork and the use of a double slip, infact Ampton v.1 used less for the same result but I didn't think it had the same visual impact or flexibility so I went with the prototype on v.2.

The layout is looking good.

I see that you built the phone antenna and have used the fence to good effect.

You need to tone down those power cars some what as they look rather bright.

Keep the pictures coming?

Pete

• RMweb Gold

I see that you built the phone antenna and have used the fence to good effect.

Indeed and I am very pleased with them, thank you.

You need to tone down those power cars some what as they look rather bright.

They are a tad bright aren't they. I shall have to consult my friend about weathering as it's not really my forte, it will go on the long list of stock to weather.

• RMweb Gold

Ooo, the 43 looks to be a nice model.

Not sure if it's true, but are both Power cars...Powered?

Keep up the good work.

The HST has one powered car and one un-powered but both ends have lights and require a decoder each. Not ran it with a full set of coaches yet as I don't yet have the space for it to go more than 2 feet but I'm sure the motor is up to the job, the old 3 pole ringfield motor in the first FGW release could pull a full set so this new version should be more than up to the task.

hi and may i say how nice it is to see yet another good modern image southern based layout on here and i am looking forward to seeing more updates of how this layout is coming along

jon

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Pesky work again getting in the way of me making any progress on my layout grrrr, however it has given me some time to think about the extension and getting the lines round to the fiddle yard on the other side of the loft. There is a plan in one of the C J Freezer plan books that has always intrigued me as it portrayed a whole line rather then just a single depot or station and this is something I've always been quite interested in constructing. I've given part of the plan a go before with mildly successful results but am now considering once more going forth and doing a proper job of it this time. This is the rough plan:-

12nrgc.jpg

Grey line indicates a scenic break, Green = proposed line initially on a gradient then at a higher level, Burgundy = low level and existing line.

After leaving the scenic break behind the foot at Ampton the lines briefly drop back to the two lines then two lines diverge and turn 90 degree's with 2 continuing to the fiddle yard in 180 degree turn. The two diverging lines begin the rise up turning 180 degree before arriving at station number 2 which I intend to be on a slight curve for visual interest (too many straight lines in my layout so far). For this station I'm looking at going for a far more traditional look compared to the ultra modern Ampton, I have a Wills Craftsman kit in mind as the station building. After the station the line drops down to one track with clear evidence of a second track being there at some point in the past, a la Uckfield line or Moreton to Dorcester section of the SWML, the line would make a 270 degree turn to be back on the other side of the loft and then onto a section above the fiddle yard which is TBC.

Here's a few pictures of my long gone previous attempt at the station part of this idea back in 2006/2007-

ym9o5q.jpg

ymd7et.jpg

ymnly6.jpg

ymd7ez.jpg

ymd7e6.jpg

ym5ta1.jpg

ymercu.jpg

ymd743.jpg

If I do go forward with this plan I aim to make this new version more portable then the last, have it weigh considerably less and be more detailed. I shall be doing some more detailed planning to see if this plan is feasible.

I am also considering a couple of 'branch line' ideas. Lymington Line in N? An Island Line-esque layout except with more mainland stock????

• Like 1

So with your new plan is the bit of Ampton you've already built going to work just end to end to the fiddle yard or are there also plans to loop the other end of the station to the fiddle yard too to make it a big roundy and just have the branch line through station2 as end to end operations?

Good work on it so far, great eye for detail. I lose a bit of interest normally when i hear 'privatisation' but i enjoy seeing this one.

• RMweb Gold

I had always planned for Ampton to be roundy roundy with the scenic side on side and the fiddle yards on the other side of the loft. This new bit if I go forward with it continues the tracks from the Ampton boards into this new section, I would drop the number of lines after the footbridge down to two then have two lines diverge from this into the new section with the 'main' lines carrying on into the fiddle yard. Unfortunately the way the loft is means there is a rather annoying barrier in the form of the water tank which blocks off easy access to one end of the loft which restricts layout development. I am also considering maybe another self contained layout on the other side of the water tank instead of the extension. So many ideas, so little time, so little money! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After many months of threatening it I have finally completed three fiddle yard boards and these are now in position and ready to receive track. When the layout goes full roundy-roundy it will be joined by a fourth with a duplicate of the pointwork found on the first board. All that needs to be done wood work wise until then is the join of the scenic section to the fiddle yard across my work bench, this joining board will include a siding which will function as a programming track for DCC decoders.

Good news on the buildings front, I've managed to order some of the Faller shelters I've been after and they should arrive within the next week or two. Once these arrive they will be butchered and painted to fit in with the other station buildings.

My stock cull continues, a few bits remain for sale on the classifieds section which will no doubt be joined by some more items in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've started constructing the canopy kits which arrived on Friday. First off is the set for the island platform, 2 and 3, which require the least modification. I've integrated the footbridge with the canopy and I think it works quite well, I love it when a plan comes together.

Since my last post the basic frames for the other buildings on boards 2 and 3 have been constructed ready for cladding in appropriate materials though I am not happy with the 'budget hotel' building and this maybe replaced with something smaller in the same position. No pictures of these as it too hot in the loft!!!

Some pictures of the progress on the canopy (the two units have not yet been connected up hence the dodgy join visible)

post-462-070335900 1285442145_thumb.jpg

post-462-000377600 1285442177_thumb.jpg

post-462-060112700 1285442202_thumb.jpg

The platform is not part of the finished product, the canopy will be installed on the platform seen in the other pics when ballasting on lines 1 and 4 in complete and the platform surface is installed. The canopy will gain appropriate signage. The station name boards and platform numbers are already done and are awaiting resizing and printing. The canopy for platforms 1 and 4 will require a little more work as they are only single facing platforms so various components need to be chopped in half or otherwise altered to fit in with the station builing on platform 4 and the base on the shopping centre on platform 1.

• Like 3