Embankment Road T&RSMD

Steadfast

• 2 months later...

Attempt number two at typing all this up...

So, the layout is being prepped for it's next appearance which is 10th/11th September at The International N Gauge show at Leamington. The layout's starting to show its age now, so I think rolling stock additions will be fewer in future and it's not like I'm short of FGW stock for the layout. I've got a 143 to finish, which even if it never sees light of day on this layout, it'll appear on others. Also, I'm tempted to have a go at 08822 based on the Farish Intercity Exec 08 but it's a bigger job than it looks at first glance and being a Bristol loco and out of period for the other stock I may not, especially if the layout's on borrowed time.

post-6899-0-20886600-1472068297_thumb.jpg

But it is Intercity Swallow. 'Nuff sed!

Anyway, to the actual point of the post. Since the layout's first concept I've wanted to have a dual carriageway scenic break to hide the fiddle yard exit, much bashing of plasticard and things are getting there. The finish is the same mix of dusted on rattle can colours as per the concrete areas elsewhere on the layout. I'm currently working on the pavements, which are 10mm wide strips of plastic. The road surface is some kids art foam from Poundland. The bridge is based on a variety of prototypes, I think the ridged surface is from Salisbury, the wall at the near end from the Frome bypass and it'll gain railings along the span, similar to Plymouth and lots of other places.

post-6899-0-64418500-1472068660_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-72862400-1472068662_thumb.jpg

Once this is all finished, Embankment Road will have gained, well, Embankment Road.

Jo

• Like 7

Thanks for all the likes etc.

A little more progress. The road surface is glued down and the pavement and centre divider are all cut and have since been sprayed grey after the photo was taken. There'll be streetlamps, white lines, signs and fencing to add next at a minimum.

post-6899-0-20828400-1472334321_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-11881700-1472334322_thumb.jpg

I've also sprayed some cars up to remove their plastic finish. They're from a Kato pack of 90's Toyotas, some of the models were sold as Lexus over here. No doubt someone will point out the shades aren't accurate for the models depicted. The big green sedan will have a fitting beige interior

post-6899-0-47294600-1472334323_thumb.jpg

Jo

• Like 9

Thanks all for the continued likes and comments.

The bridge is just about done, needs a grassy bank adding around the base and a mounting block on the backscene for it to rest on, rather than the fetching TV remote.

The white lines are masked up then white enamel is stippled on. 2 or 3 coats gives decent colour with the texture of the foam road surface still showing through.

post-6899-0-94545500-1472675005_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-24186300-1472675007_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-73143700-1472675008_thumb.jpg

Vehicles of note so far are the National Express bus which has had added detail painting, passengers and the front track narrowed before a light weathering. The Tomytec Lexus has gained a taxi roof sign and a square rear number plate as seen on many taxis to give room for the taxi license. The white Scania is a respray of an Oxford model, added FKS Modellbau etched lights and home brew decals. The side skirts were done on the Silhouette cutter. It's also gained custom chrome big bore side exhaust on each side below the side skirts, but these are hard to see in this angle.

post-6899-0-92061100-1472675009_thumb.jpg

Jo

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of quick shots to show where things are at - the layout has now gained the embankment it is named after! The bridge is removable to allow for track cleaning, naughty derailing trains and the like.

post-6899-0-88355000-1473376026_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-99899200-1473376027_thumb.jpg

The bank was done with a grass mat, sprayed with car paints, then various Woodland Scenics bushery added to complete the look. Just need to buy a pack of N scale photographers to perch on the bridge to really set the scene!

I'm weirdly relaxed before the weekend's show, so far things seem to have gone to plan. Normally I'd still be working on a last minute addition well past midnight, but it's all ready to go. I would say this is down to being organised, but well, those who know me know better...

Please do drop by and say hello if you are attending the International N Gauge show at Leamington this weekend!

Jo

• Like 7

Well, back from TINGS and the layout's still in one piece.

All in all the weekend went well, a couple of odd niggles on the Saturday, mainly heat related before the air vents were opened I think, but pretty happy with the weekend.

There's a few considerations to be made now, with a potential booking in 2018, do I look at mounting it on a wooden base to reduce the warping? Reconstruct it completely, reusing buildings and scenic? Bin it?

I think that's a decision that can wait for 2017, see if I have any brainwaves in the mean time.

Anyway, a few pictures from the weekend of the layout. Besides the bridge, there's not much new to see. As usual the green 08 was the backbone of the fleet all weekend.

post-6899-0-36332600-1473699622_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-17571900-1473699625_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-60197300-1473699626_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-06101300-1473699628_thumb.jpg

Finally a lighter one, after crossing the bridge of doom between the layout and fiddle yard, beware sharp jolts to the traverser...

post-6899-0-42388400-1473699621_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone who stopped for a chat and the comments and discussions that ensued!

Thanks also to Jack for the assistance and entertainment  all weekend

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 12

Thanks for the comments guys, yes the buildings do stir up plenty of comment at exhiibitions, there's always at least one person who comments how creative I am to have come up with that design. Cue a photo of the real thing...

Besides tankers and customer liveries, I don't think I've seen many Scanias operated by your lot Rob? Oxford have an Actros and new style FH in the pipeline, it'd be nice to crack out the white and blue paint of a local operator

Jo

Thanks for the comments guys, yes the buildings do stir up plenty of comment at exhiibitions, there's always at least one person who comments how creative I am to have come up with that design. Cue a photo of the real thing...

Besides tankers and customer liveries, I don't think I've seen many Scanias operated by your lot Rob? Oxford have an Actros and new style FH in the pipeline, it'd be nice to crack out the white and blue paint of a local operator

Jo

Renaults and Mercs seem to be the flavour of the month for general haulage and containers Jo, I don't think we have any Scania's in fleet colours but there are some FH's on the brick and block work. If you do model one and need some help with artwork, let me know and I can get you copies of the logos etc.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for looking in. The layout has seen better days and is currently dumped non operational at my parents house.  There is a MK2 on the cards (well, there had to be with all the stock I've done) but that is currently timescale unknown. The thread will be back in due course... 

Jo

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 01:02, Steadfast said:

Thanks for looking in. The layout has seen better days and is currently dumped non operational at my parents house.  There is a MK2 on the cards (well, there had to be with all the stock I've done) but that is currently timescale unknown. The thread will be back in due course... 

Jo

Looking forward to more when you bring this back Jo...

• 1 year later...

Hi Jo,

Don't know how I've missed this, but what a brilliant layout, the standard of modeling is unbelievable and to have such realistic modeling in a small space shows the upsides of n gauge.

How did the baseboard hold up with time? It's such a good idea. The current layout I'm working on is living on a shelf above the bed and hauling it up and down each time I want to do work is more effort than I'd like and I wish I'd thought of something so clever before I started!

A lot of other interesting things like the couplings you've made, not to mention all of the amazing locos you've done (will be going through your loco and wagon threads over the coming weeks). 

Thanks for sharing it was an interesting to read about your progress from start to finish. 

All the best,

Dave

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kinds words! 

The foam board stood up ok, but I think would have been better with more bracing. There was a warp across the layout when viewed end on, I think where I'd removed material for the pit weakened the base. The whole layout was a gentle U shape! Additionally, as time wore on the left hand end, where the track meets the fiddle yard became warped too, to the point stuff would uncouple!

I think with a stronger construction, the foam board concept has merit, especially for home use. Due to the warping, the layout has been withdrawn and currently resides in my garage full of stuff, but I have plans for a Baby Laira MK2, but that is at least one or two layouts down the line. 

I see you've found the Maesglas thread from the "like" notifications, I hope you find it just as interesting!

Cheers

Jo

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just read the thread start to finish. Brilliant work Jo! Shame we never got to see it in 90s glory with some 50s and NSE colours - maybe on mk2!!.... N gauge had always intrigued me, but I love kit bashing and modifying, unfortunately, I don’t have the patience or skills for N. Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing your wagon works once exhibitions start again.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words! All the stock for Baby Laira is still safe, secure and won't be getting repainted for other layouts, so all being well it'll happen, eventually! 

I agree it's a shame I never managed to fully achieve the roll back, for now I'll have to make do with my Intercity and BR blue power cars when I do them, but you never know about the future!

Cheers!

Jo

• Like 1