Embankment Road T&RSMD

Steadfast

Cantrail stripes now on my CAN DO list WAHAY!!!

Thank you, the Replica ones are a doddle to use and I am well on my way to having my Advanza Freight 47 and my Fragonset 73 done. Am working between the two giving one section or stripe time to set while working on the other before swapping back.

Best wishes

Simon

I'm glad to hear it Simon! It definitely is one of those things that once you "get it" you wonder why you struggled before!

One pack goes a long way too. I treated myself to a new pack at Bristol today. Along with a few plain white Transits and some paint and plates for 57604...question is, will it be done in time for the NGS AGM on June 7th? Hmmmmmm...

jo

• 2 weeks later...

So the hard work with the airbrush is done.

post-6899-0-69764300-1400009102_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-57108300-1400009113_thumb.jpg

There's a bit of touching up to do, particularly where the yellow panel meets the bottom of the windscreen. I am pleased with the curve around the bottom of the headlights though and the neat strip of green under the yellow panel.

I'm dead pleased with the colour, to me the green looks bang on. It's Railmatch post 1928 GWR green. In a day or two once it has hardened I'll do the touching up with a brush. Then it'll be out with the varnish and apply the transfers once they arrive from the N gauge society

jo

Edited by ewsjo
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Despite being busy lately, hence the lack of updates, progress has been continuous on 57604, it had a coat of satin varnish this morning. All being well it'll be reassembled tomorrow, ready for debut at the N gauge society AGM exhibition on Saturday morning.

I'm hopeful that I've fixed the ski-slope trackwork that plagued us at the Taunton member's day, so hopefully we should be able to run bogie locos on and off the layout!

jo

Indeed you will Mr Hale!

The layout is loaded, 57604 has just been reassembled and a few details painted in so off to sleep now to allow the paint to dry.

Hopefully see a few familiar faces tomorrow, do say hello if you're passing

jo

The layout behaves well today and it was good to have a guest loco in the shape of 08663 'Jack' from, err, Jack (Rods_of_revolution).

I didn't manage any photos, but I'll try to get some of 57604 at some point soon. I had meant to photograph the top and tail working with 08643 and 08663 sandwiching a power car and a pair of mk3s. Rumours it was a crank special are not to be believed...

jo

I've just caught up on this thread, and, as always, the quality of your modelling had bowled me over.

The thing that really caught my eye was actually the grounded Farish VBA\VCA vans outside of the shed. The weathering on the roofs looks amazing - I'd always been daunted by the prospect of weathering the large expanse of a air brake van roof. Did you use gouache?

Hi Justin, thanks for the comments! If I am totally honest, I can't remember how I did them. Got a feeling it was all enamels across a few days. I think they were sprayed dark grey. The I dry brushed browns and lighter greys, adding thin layers to give little variations to the tone each time. Patches of 'scabby' roof were done with a fine brush and light grey. Once all of these various colourings had dried for a few days, washes of black, brown and grey, as required, were put on, dabbing excess off by rolling across the curve of the roof on a pad of kitchen roll. The key to this stage is making it really wet (basically neat white spirit with a hint of colour) and allowing it to start to dry before rolling on kitchen roll. The pattern of the kitchen roll helps to give a mottled texture to the roof too. Dirt runs down the sides and ends were done with the same mix, built up in several layers, using neat white spirit to tidy up after and neaten the streaks up

Hope this helps a bit,

jo

Cheers Steve, likewise it was good to see how much can be done inside an APA box, certainly gave me a few ideas. No no, must stop thinking like that and get on with part finished projects... ;-)

jo

• 2 months later...

So here's an update covering the recent addition to the fleet.

The basic work was complete by the NGS AGM show in June, I didn't have chance to photograph it at the time as it was a bit of a rush job.

Since then, the roof details have been painted and lightly weathered, the buffer beams detailed and ploughs fitted.

The ploughs are BHE etches, which whilst not as refined as TPM ones, are far cheaper and more importantly, I had them in stock! The ploughs are bent to shape and soldered to some 0.5mm wire which is mounted in holes drilled in the buffer beam moulding. The stagger in the mounting bracket is needed to get them to clear the front of the bogies. I've found a photo since that shows the brackets more clearly as 57604 doesn't currently have the ploughs fitted. The appear to show the brackets mounted to the front face of the bufferbeam, so the positioning of mine seems about right.

post-6899-0-53798400-1407791267_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-55518600-1407791268_thumb.jpg

The white wall tyres and picked out air and electrical pipe runs on the bogies add a touch of class to the loco. In fact the white walls remind me of a 1930's cruiser. Just needs a few blokes in sharp suits and tommy guns to finish the Mafia look!

post-6899-0-73630400-1407791269_thumb.jpg

The ETH bits and air pipes are the bits provided by Farish. One change is that the cabling on the ETH parts has been removed and replaced with 0.5mm black elastic, allowing me to feed it into the buffer beam more convincingly than the solid plastic mouldings allow.

post-6899-0-88788700-1407791270_thumb.jpg

A few more of the new arrival around the depot

post-6899-0-18154000-1407791273_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-34973400-1407791275_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-48648800-1407791266_thumb.jpg

jo

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jo,

When I first scrolled to the side on view of the 57 next to the building I genuinely thought it was a photo of the prototype - only when I saw the name "Embankment Road" on the sign did I twig....

Very nice work!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for all the comments, likes etc guys, it's nice to have another project actually finished! It was quite a quick respray by my standards.

Hi Jo,

When I first scrolled to the side on view of the 57 next to the building I genuinely thought it was a photo of the prototype - only when I saw the name "Embankment Road" on the sign did I twig....

Very nice work!

cheers

Ben A.

Ben, that's proof enough to me that the photo based textures on the building in use as a backscene work well! I think the finish on the 57 helps too, it's Humbrol enamel varnish in a spray can (satin) and seems to give a nice "ex works" sheen without being over the top.

Great looking layout Jo.

I've looked through the thread and may have overlooked the post but how has the foam core baseboard held up and how do you attach/align the scenic section to the fiddle yard?

The foam board is standing up pretty well Paul. There is a bow across the board from front to centre, caused I think by the dropped floor inside the building not being sufficiently braced. However, the board hasn't warped since construction so it seems sturdy enough. My dad christened it the water runoff...

The fiddle yard attaches with a sprung clamp. The track connection is simply a piece of flexi-track with rail joiners, connecting at the toe end of the first point. There is a 3.5mm jack for the electrical connections. It's easier to see than to explain, so I'll try to do some pictures next time the layout's out

jo