Embankment Road T&RSMD

Steadfast

Thanks for all the likes etc guys, and Phil and Simon for the comments.

Simon, the straps are Tamiya masking tape cut into strips. I feel these are a bit wide to be honest, so I may redo them. I just stick the masking tape to a cutting mat and slice it up with a scalpel and steel ruler

There's more of the same on the rear of the steel trailer here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82521-jos-n-gauge-road-vehicles/?p=1701948

Should work equally for restraining rail vehicle loads, a dab of superglue under the ends of the strapping helps keep it attached to the model.

jo

• 5 months later...

A small update, the layout has had a partial rewire over the weekend in preparation for the 4th of July, when it is attending an all N scale show at Corsham. 

Anyone who's ever been round the back with probably have scratched their head at the logic of the order of the switches for the isolating sections.

In my head, when I was building the layout the order made sense as it sort of geographically mimicked the location of the points. Realistically, it was just a pain in the backside! As a result, the switches now run 1, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4, 5A and 5B, which should make operation a bit simpler!

I may add a small scenic touch or two before the show, depends how much motivation I have after work.

jo

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well I haven't had too much chance to do much new to the layout, playing with real trains sort of gets in the way of that!

I have manged to do a "must do" task of repainting the roofs of these Bachmann buildings. I dropped one of them and chipped the roof so the new paint was needed to hide the repair. The paint is a mixture of Halfords grey, black, yellow, white, brown etc wafted on from a distance giving a mottled colour and texture that is not a million miles from roofing felt

post-6899-0-04081800-1435667097_thumb.jpg

jo

• Like 3

Cheers for the comment Alex, I'm trying to keep my eyes open for new details to add all the time, so little bits appear every so often.

60 you say? Still a work in progress, but it's getting there http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68676-jos-n-gauge-loco-works/?p=1650990

It's a shame they aren't particularly common down Devon way, otherwise there'd be one nipping in more regularly! I've got a few EWS ones lined up to do, too, 60065 for sure.

jo

Work on the refit continues, I've clad the rear face of the back scene in foam board to add some support to the single layer of mounting card that it's made from. It's all nice and clean and white, I'll get a picture once I've added the new labelling for the switches and yard maps. It's been so hot today it's been nice to get a little bit of modelling done outside once it cooled off.

Anyway enough of that, I'd better be getting off to work

jo

• Like 1

Thanks Neil!

Here's a small addition that I created this week. Where the FGW mk3s have had the end doors removed, the depots have yellow metal weather guard panels to fit in place. Mine is simply some yellow card glued inside the corridor connector.

post-6899-0-11769300-1435910903_thumb.jpg

Quick, cheap and simple!

jo

• Like 5

Thanks for the comments guys, just a couple of pics off the phone from the show. Who'll be the first to pint out that the pairing of 57s couldn't have happened, livery wise...

post-6899-0-68236000-1436108775_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-09602300-1436108787_thumb.jpg

jo

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Hi Jo,

Apologies if this has been commented upon already, but I couldn't see it in the thread.

How did you do all the hard-standing areas around the tracks? Did you use card + scalescenes (or other) printed concrete texture, painted card, painted plasticard or plaster/filler? They look great, and nice and uniform and even.

I would imagine card would be easiest, but would be worried about subsequent lifting of the edges?

thanks

David

Hi David,

The concrete surface is mainly mounting card, as used in picture framing. I buy big A1 sheets from art shops, for a couple of quid each I think they were. This is glued down using contact adhesive and plenty of weight to hold it down. Between the tracks is simple thin art card, like kids use for arts and crafts.

Once all glued down, the whole concrete area is given a coating of Plastikote suede texture paint. This is oversprayed with various Halfords car colours, beiges, greys, black etc, to taste, to give the colour concrete you want. These are each misted on very lightly and are almost dry by the time they hit the surface. Once this is dry, the dividing lines were drawn on with pencil and ruler. Thinned black enamel was then used to build up washes of dirt and grime in those areas I wanted it, like under where locos stand by the fuel point, along with some airbrushing.

The only problems I've had with lifting is the sections between the rails and I think that's because the glue had partially dried when I stuck it down, causing lumps of hard glue to raise it up slightly. Also the flimsy nature of card so thin let it be slightly wavy. I'd suggest perhaps cereal packet or similar thickness may be better for between the rails. This slight lifting does mean the 08s are barred from one road as it is severe enough to lift them up and break electrical contact.

Hope this helps

jo

Hi Jo

A couple of pictures you may be interested in.

Firstly 57605 in the new GWR livery popped in after dragging a HST from Penzance.

post-6517-0-04171200-1440083685_thumb.jpg

And also 08410 has come up to Laira from Penzance for some attention to the engine seen here also in it's new green livery.

post-6517-0-23315200-1440083696_thumb.jpg

The VDA vans used for storage are gradually being replaced by garages and I will get some pictures of these if it ever stops raining.

E

• Like 7

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Nothing recent to report I'm afraid, work is focusing on the other layout http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72130-newport-maesglas-n-gauge-wagon-repair-depot-formerly-stuarts-lane/page-5&do=findComment&comment=2330158 before its debut show in July.

Baby Laira will be at the International N Gauge show in Leamington in September so once 16th July has passed we may have a wee development or two in preparation

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1