Class 26 cab door windows

Badger

This was pinned down fairly accurately in discussion a while ago but the best I can remember now is that most were done by about 1974, with the earliest I know of being July 1970

AFAIK it's not just a simple case of plating over, but a whole new door (the handle positions are different, for one thing). The most likely reason, as with anything done to Highland locos, will be draught reduction

This was pinned down fairly accurately in discussion a while ago but the best I can remember now is that most were done by about 1974, with the earliest I know of being July 1970

AFAIK it's not just a simple case of plating over, but a whole new door (the handle positions are different, for one thing). The most likely reason, as with anything done to Highland locos, will be draught reduction

I was about to ask a similar question. The change to solid doors is usually associated in time with wrapping the yellow colouring around the cab. However in my collection of downloaded goodies I have a 1975 photo of 26011 at Ferryhill (Aberdeen) with the yellow colouring carried round the cab side windows, but still sporting the original door with a window. However a later photo of the same loco at Inverness in 1978 shows the window plated over - or rather a new door with a handle level with the bottom of the yellow colour - the original door has the handle halfway between the window and the bottom.

Too good an opportunity to miss, I've now got a Class 26 with yellow wrap around and cab door windows... B)

I have a 1975 photo of 26011 at Ferryhill (Aberdeen) with the yellow colouring carried round the cab side windows, but still sporting the original door with a window.

That's good then Stuart, that becomes the latest sighting still with original doors.

There is a picture in "Diesels in the Highlands" of 5337 in blue with wrap around warning yellow passing through Clachnaharry. It has plated over door windows but the door has not been painted, it seems to be in primer.

Is this the Bradford Barton one Mark, or the more recent colour one?

There are also pics to be found (dont ask me where...) of locos with wrapround yellow plus flush doors in plain blue

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

Since we are talking 26s, can anyone tell me when 26s fitted with Tablet catchers,had their recesses plated over?. I ask as I am eagerly awaiting the new Heljan O gauge 26 and want a suitable loco circa 1979/80

Since we are talking 26s, can anyone tell me when 26s fitted with Tablet catchers,had their recesses plated over?.

Thought this might follow onwink.gif Slightly later than the cab door changes, I reckon the the majority being done during 1975/76 (so no pre-TOPS ones known to be plated). A fair few lasted into 1977 with the recesses, but no later photos are known (to me anyway). 27s also seem to follow the same sort of timescale

I'm not so sure on the timing, if you look at Brian Daniels' 1975 photo of 26024 above, the tablet catcher recess has been plated over but it still has the original cab door with window

I'm not so sure on the timing, if you look at Brian Daniels' 1975 photo of 26024 above, the tablet catcher recess has been plated over but it still has the original cab door with window

This is true, but I'd think it's a relative rarity. There might well have been some overlap in the two procedures but as a generalisation, I'd hope my comment would hold good.

FWIW the earliest plated tablet catcher recess I know of is 26022, pic dated 31.3.74, Bradford Barton's 'Diesels in the Highlands'. Not possible to check the door as it's ajarsad.gif Interestingly both '22 and '24 are ex-Inverness machines transferred to Haymarket in 1969, so the Edinburgh depot could have been the quicker off the mark with plating the recesses

There is a picture in "Diesels in the Highlands" of 5337 in blue with wrap around warning yellow passing through Clachnaharry. It has plated over door windows but the door has not been painted, it seems to be in primer.

April 1974.

Is this the Bradford Barton one Mark, or the more recent colour one?

There are also pics to be found (dont ask me where...) of locos with wrapround yellow plus flush doors in plain blue

Found it now, it's on the page after 26022smile.gif Hard to tell but I think it's actually blue rather than primer.

• 3 weeks later...

TOPs without wrapround yellow; now that is interestingcool.gif

I really wish I could post the pic, but it would betray a confidence of someone I've been trading with for years.

The best I can do, for a different shot to the one I have, but still showing the blue cabs but sadly not the doors, though I promise you, on the shot I have, the doors still have the drop-down windows, is point you here; http://www.rail-online.co.uk and input 26006 into the search.

This is the only 26/27 I know of, to carry this version into TOPS although two or three others kept the yellow at bay into 1974, I don't know if they made TOPS or not.

Cheers, Ron.

• 1 month later...

The reason for replacing the cab door window with metal was to prevent damage when tokens were exchanged, by hand, on the move. There were several cases where the pouch or the hoop had swung back with enough force to break the glass.

Aha, thank you. Now you mention it, I've heard that before alsosmile.gif

• RMweb Gold

I can't post the pic due to copyright restrictions (the owner of the shot would kill me for posting it!!), but I have a shot of 26006 at Haymarket on 28 Jul 1974, with original blue cab surrounds and non-plated doors.

Rgds, Ron.

Hi all,

I have a shot from a friend of 26006.

Millerhill, March 1976. plated doors, yellow window surround.

That narrows the end date for the non plated doors down a bit for it!

Thanks

The reason for replacing the cab door window with metal was to prevent damage when tokens were exchanged, by hand, on the move. There were several cases where the pouch or the hoop had swung back with enough force to break the glass.

Sounds plausible, but if so why weren't the Scottish Class 27s similarly modified?

Archived