Belgian Vicinal Tramways

chrisd

Hi

Does anyone out there know if any kits/models are produced for the Belgian metre guage Tramways Vicinaux or Buurtspoorwegen that used to cover a large area of the country please?

I have just ordered the Light Railways in Belgium 1885-1991: The Vicinal Story by WJK Davies.

After 15 years living in the country I should really know more!

Thanks,

Chris.

SNCV

I presume you have visited and enjoyed the superb Vicinal museum at Thuin.

For others interested in this topic it is to be recommended.

http://www.asvi.be/index/index.htm

Starting in the UK the distance by road from Calais Eurotunnel terminus is about 150 miles (135 of it on motorways) taking the route to Lille, (into Belgium) Tournai, Mons, and then turning south outside Charleroi.

Christopher Payne UK

SNCV

Starting in the UK the distance by road from Calais Eurotunnel terminus is about 150 miles (135 of it on motorways) taking the route to Lille, (into Belgium) Tournai, Mons, and then turning south outside Charleroi.

Christopher Payne UK

Christopher,

I am ashamed to say that I haven't yet been there. But it is on my must do list. Despite having lived here 15 years, it is only recently that I have become aware of the Vicinal network (that was). Thanks for the info. When I do get there, I'll post some photos.

Chris

Had a look at the book you mentioned; but at £30 it's to dear for me.

Hope you're successfull in creating a layout of this system.

Mac.

Thanks Mac,

Yes. Not the cheapest publication. And anyway, Motorbooks are out of stock. So I might see if the shop recommended by Peter has it in stock.

Early days yet to think about a model, but it certainly does attract me. Especially having visited some of the locations. We'll see... :rolleyes:

Chris

• 1 month later...

For a working preserved tramway, visit the TTA at Erezee, between Marche-en-Famenne and Manhay. the shop at Erezee has a few rather expensive books in stock. Most peeps there speak English too.

www.tta.be is the website.

225 miles from eurotunnel via route above, N4 from Namur, off at Marche-en-Fammene, to Hotton, then Erezee. Trams are mostly diesel hauled 3 car set, the line runs through a wooded valley to Forge a la Plege. Track goes to Dochamps, but is unusable; the line continues to Lamormenil via a steep incline and a horseshoe curve. The track there is overgrown and impassable in places. I have a moblie home a few metres fro the end of the line at Lamormenil.

I walked the disused section last year.

• 7 years later...

SNCV

Christopher Payne UK

I'm planning to pop in here next Sunday, when there appears to be trams running - does anyone know how often they are likely to run, or how long to allow for a return trip?

Thanks,

Jon

• 1 month later...

I'm planning to pop in here next Sunday, when there appears to be trams running - does anyone know how often they are likely to run, or how long to allow for a return trip?

Thanks,

Jon

To answer my own question, there are 3 tram routes that each run about once an hour, although I'm not sure its possible to do all 3 in the hour - I certainly didn't.

I was on the SNCB trains from Brussels via Charleroi, and the branch through Thuin is only every other hour, and as that branch was one of only three passenger lines operated by SNCB I needed to either visit in two hours or four.

The SNCB station is the other side of the river, you cross a modern concrete bridge an can see the Tram stop down by the quay - alas there doesn't seem to be any thought of integrating the trams with train timetables, I saw the one I wanted go, and I wasn't dawdling. 

post-336-0-83499800-1525607400.jpg

This branch runs a few hundred meters along the high street toa reversal and then into the Museum area, it didn't take very long to walk, and these are a couple of photos I took later in the day.

post-336-0-72033100-1525607376.jpg

post-336-0-05359000-1525607392_thumb.jpg

The next branch was diesel powered tram, and if I've understood correctly was a standard gauge branch that was converted by the preservationists. There are some quite long stretches that have been laid using dual gauge sleepers. I goes as far as Biesmes-sous-Thuin,with a short stop about half way shown here.

post-336-0-52670700-1525607342.jpg

The final branch is longest and crosses the mainline and then heads cross country and uphill to reach a section of roadside running - it appears the roadside running isn't possible at the moment but I'm not quite clear why. As it turns out there is a field with a llama, miniature goat and various other farmyard animals, which seemed to keep the kids amused during the short stop.

post-336-0-83836300-1525607355.jpg

post-336-0-97224500-1525607365.jpg

Jon

• 7 months later...

The TTA at Erezee has been up and running to Lamormenil for about 3 years now. I was there with my partner for the opening ceremony by Prince Laurent.

There's only one trip a day to Lamormenil as the line still fails to attract a large number of visitors. It's a shame as a lot of money has been invested in the extension. www.tta.be for details of this year's timetable.post-1654-0-44507900-1546467972_thumb.jpgpost-1654-0-47003800-1546468019_thumb.jpg

post-1654-0-13592000-1546468078_thumb.jpg

post-1654-0-37327200-1546468313_thumb.jpg

Archived