Great Tunsley Dale Revisited

trains12

Hi All

Truthfully I cannot get into this new format. This is the third go at trying to post this.:icon_frustrated: Anyway time will tell.

For those of you who used to follow GTD on the old thread you will remember that 2 weeks before the show we were still having major problems with the 2 three way points and the slip near the vertical silo end of the layout. Well - 5 days before the show in desperation and getting even more despondant thinking it wouldn't be completed in time I made the decision to rebuild the pointwork at that end of the layout. Two new single way points were built and installed and the 2 three way points altered to look as if at some time the trackwork had been altered down to single points leaving part of the 3 ways in. This cured the problem of the shorts:icon_clap: and also enabled the slip to work. The whole lot was tested on the Thursday and everything was working fine. Two years work completed and the layout ready for the show. Or so I thought.

At the show we soon discovered that there was a fault in the fiddle yard which had not been there before and restricted the use to the full extent of the yard. Another problem that occurred was that on a number of the points which are controlled by Seep PM4 point motors we had a problem on the switching of the polarity. This we think was caused by the transporting of the layout which in turn upset the popsitioning of the motors. This wil be cured by the fitting of a lever micro switch to all points.

Anyway overallthe weekendproved very successful and we came third in the visiting layouts. Not bad for its first outing. Below are some shots at the show. More to follow.

Peter

post-6915-12571008731986_thumb.jpgpost-6915-12571008977122_thumb.jpgpost-6915-12571008889265_thumb.jpgpost-6915-12571008797773_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If GTD only came 3rd, whatever came 1st and 2nd :rolleyes:

The layout that came first was St. Georges Quay as can be seen in Railway Modeller, a 7mm layout with a working coal staith.

Second was, I think, Timpdon Lake Railway, 16mm 32mm gauge layout, and can be seen in Model Rail.

Just having a week off to do the gardens before winter:rolleyes: but of course its chucking it down!!!

Then we are going to rewire the fiddle yard ready for its appearance at The South Caernarfonshire Show in early December (see details in exhibition forum). If all goes to plan the layout will be a frequent visitor to the north west over the next couple of years.

Glad you like it will post some more pics (from Paul & Jamie) over next few days. I only got to take 6 photos myself and 2 weren't good.

Peter

Hi Peter, Well done for the HAZEL GROVE SHOW which went down well, shame that all the Years and Hours & Sweat and Tears that Peter as put in to this Layout that if only got a 3rd Prize on the Best Layout Award. But well done Peter for presenting the biggest layout at the show. Pictures will follow soon that I had taken of the show....! Warm Regards 7APT7

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is a superb layout.

One question about stock:

I noticed that some of your orange RMC hoppers have "RMC Aggregates" in italicised lettering on the side. I have not seen this variant on the livery before. Do you know which period it covered?

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

This is a superb layout.

One question about stock:

I noticed that some of your orange RMC hoppers have "RMC Aggregates" in italicised lettering on the side. I have not seen this variant on the livery before. Do you know which period it covered?

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

I have not noticed the lettering on them will have to check if this so or is it the way they have been photographed. So to answer your question at this time - NO!! Will try and find out.

Peter

On a personal note:

Jamie - These photos are b... good. Many thanks for your posting of them.

Hope everybody appreciates them as much as I do.

Must thank both Jamie and Paul for their help they gave at Hazel Grove and putting up with me when nowt was going right!!

Peter