Great Tunsley Dale Revisited

trains12

Hi Marcus

Yes I have done a fair bit since you came the other week.Below are a few shots of the completed work on the main hopper building. Even have put the clock hands on now.The lime stone building has also been completed now after its damage and the next one is the steps on the lime klims to repair. .

Peter

post-6915-0-02385100-1438628004.jpg

post-6915-0-69832300-1438628009.jpg

post-6915-0-18771500-1438628016.jpg

post-6915-0-34508300-1438628022.jpg

post-6915-0-26669700-1438628028.jpg

post-6915-0-66220500-1438628033.jpg

post-6915-0-44077100-1438628040.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi All

In case you haven't seen it Hornby have brought out a bookazine this month of the best 25 layouts as appeared in their magazine and Great Tunsley Dale is in it with new photos as taken by Mike Wild. Available at WH Smiths but not seen it anywhere else yet.

Should have been at Great Central show in June but because of health problems have reluctantly had to give back word and drop out this year.

Peter

• Like 3

Morning Peter, Sorry to hear your not going to be at the Great Central this year, I do hope your health issues get sorted soon.

I'll try and find a copy of the Hornby Book in Morrisons or Sainsburys, but the nearest W H Smiths to us is Burton and I never go near the place if I can help it.

All the best to you and Wendy.

• 2 years later...

Hi all

For those of you who don't know I have started a new thread called The Final Dream where GTD together with 2 other layouts Bridge of Muir and Glen Gillie plus 2 other layouts which have not been on the RMW have been combined to form 1 new large layout in a new shed measuring 46' x 17'. This development is fully covered on this new thread. Below is just a photo of the shed. I still cannot link the threads together will have to see if Andy will do it for me.

Peter

post-6915-0-57211700-1540900134.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well Gt Tunsley Dale has arrived in North Yorkshire in pretty good shape after a long drive from Wales.  All in all it survived the journey really well just a couple of small bits to sort.  I would like to thank Wendy for such a welcoming visit and we have a few laughs throughout the morning.  Seeing it in the flesh for the first time I can say Peter's work is stunning and not sure pictures give it the credit due.

I plan to change the layout to DCC following winter storage and hope to get into onto the north layout circuit when complete a real treat for us.

I will continue to ad pictures as more happens but for now winter storage looms with bits of repairs to be completed

Nik 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

17 hours ago, Deltic Man said:

Well Gt Tunsley Dale has arrived in North Yorkshire in pretty good shape after a long drive from Wales.  All in all it survived the journey really well just a couple of small bits to sort.  I would like to thank Wendy for such a welcoming visit and we have a few laughs throughout the morning.  Seeing it in the flesh for the first time I can say Peter's work is stunning and not sure pictures give it the credit due.

I plan to change the layout to DCC following winter storage and hope to get into onto the north layout circuit when complete a real treat for us.

I will continue to ad pictures as more happens but for now winter storage looms with bits of repairs to be completed

Nik 

Looking forward to it going dcc its fab layout and was lucky to see this few years ago thanks to peter

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

2021 will see the layout set up and a plan of campaign drawn up to convert to DCC.  Also additional repairs to any changed bits that were happening in wales to change it back to the normal exhibition layout will be completed.

Watch this space as I will try to do regular updates

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

So after a long period of inactivity the layout has been dug out and the fiddle yard has had minor fixes done as some tracks were bent at the ends and I have started the conversion to DCC with connection wires placed over the plastic fish plates.  The next job is to work on the two ends to put more feeds in and to undo what Peter started as he was making it into a permanent layout and I want to show it at exhibitions all easily fixable but a long haul I think

Nik

196CD88A-015F-4B18-A8E8-5A6568C03889.jpeg

BC7C9530-6466-46D0-87BA-FF7E329FE988.jpeg

2FC759F2-DA0C-4B5A-A2D3-226D55BD1544.jpeg

• Like 7

Been lucky enough to see this layout in the flesh when it was at Llanberis slate museum one year. I must have been about 13, and was stood there for a good hour just admiring it and enjoying the trains running past. Seeing it here brings back some great memories, not just of GTD but Peter's other masterpieces such as Porth Eithin.

Looking forward too see further developments. 

• Like 1