Great Tunsley Dale Revisited

trains12

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I have not done much with GTD in the last few weeks but this week I have completed the wiring of the fiddle yard control panel with the new rotary switches to enable each road in the fiddle yard to be isolated unless the rotary switch has been selected to that road. A view of the panel inside is attached. The new switches are the grey round ones of which two top ones can be seen.

A little work has also been done on the main layout around the small group of huts on the entrance to the main yard.

The main new this week is that the layout may be on TV in a few weeks. A group of artistes who are travelling Wales visiting various groups and societies are pay the club a visit at the unit on Friday morning the 6th August to see how the club runs and functions. So GTD and Porth Eithin will be running while three other members and I give demonstrations on the likes of track building, fitting lighting units into engines and coaches and scenic detailing it should be good fun.

Will keep you informed on how things go.

Peter

post-6915-128032623453.jpg

post-6915-128032624886.jpg

post-6915-128032625965.jpg

• Like 1

How is the new revised control panel coming on with the new twiddly selector knobs!? It will solve a lot of the problems in the fiddle yard now and make things easier to control hopefully.

Cheers Paul

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All

It is sometime since I posted anything on GTD but work has not stopped due to work on other layouts. A lot more small details have been added but one of the main areas that has to be tackeld is the signalling. I have asked before if there is any one out there who could help on the placeing of the signals but todate no one it appears can help Just have to keep trying and hope for the best.

One area that we do need help in is that at the Birkenhead show at the end of Oct. we are short of operators due mainly to Paul being at his show of Hazel Grove. If there is anyone out there who could help would be most gratflue. We have accomadation booked.

If any one can please drop me a PM Thank you.

Peter

I've just been catching up on this thread.

Hi all

Well now that the main part of the layout has been completed, There is still plenty to do on the detailing work and the up dating of the electrics, attention has turned to the rolling stock and engines. One of the items that Paul and I wanted to do was the building of one of the early diesels that ICI had built them selves. RS8 was a somewhat unusual loco in that it started life as a steam loco built by Avonside in 1923 being No.1913. At some time in the early 1960's the engine was scapped and the frames and wheels used to build RS8. Power was by a Rolls Royce 170Hp engine. Work was carried out by ICI at the South Works workshop. As can be seen to has a very high cab which allowed all round viibility when taking the old ICI hoppers through the loading hoppers.

The model was intended to be made from parts of old diesels in the scrap box together with plastikard etc. but new thinking is that we will make a etch brass body and mount it on an old Hornby Pug chassis that we have. I might even ask Pete Harvey if he can help with it. Any offers Peter?:rolleyes: Any way as the work progresses I will keep you informed, in the mean time some shots of the loco as it is today at the Stone Museum in Derbyshire.

Peter

post-6915-12580665424946_thumb.jpgpost-6915-12580665646286_thumb.jpgMG_1500.jpg GTD Eng.jpg]post-6915-12580665189764_thumb.jpg

If your going to get a set of etches made for this I wouldn't mind a set!

I went to have a look at this last year, shame its in such a run a run down condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Well after Model Rail Live with Porth Eithin it is now the turn of GTD. At the end of the month it is going to Merseyside Model Railway Show. Today it has been part assembled in the shop unit ready for some more detail work to be done and sort a few niddles out on it.

The most important item to do is the signalling. I have asked on the web if any can help me with a realistic positioning of the signals but to date no offers have come foreword some I am going it alone, so please don’t comeback to me after wards and say they are wrong.

Any way a few shots that Jamie has taken of the layout.

Peter

post-6915-080540000 1286281529_thumb.jpg

post-6915-014104800 1286281542_thumb.jpg

post-6915-093204600 1286281553_thumb.jpg

post-6915-046042200 1286281567_thumb.jpg

post-6915-063447400 1286281579_thumb.jpg

post-6915-090563800 1286281592_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all

The most important item to do is the signalling. I have asked on the web if any can help me with a realistic positioning of the signals but to date no offers have come foreword some I am going it alone, so please don’t comeback to me after wards and say they are wrong.

Peter

Hi Peter

I must have missed seeing your plea about the signaling. If you let me have a good clear track plan, I'll see what I can suggest for you.

Good to see you all at Barrow Hill.

Merfyn.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Peter - I drew one of the box plans for you but as you didn't comment I assumed you weren't interested in the rest :blink: (on 15 September 2009 on the old forum)

post-6662-015381500 1286289145_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all

Well after Model Rail Live with Porth Eithin it is now the turn of GTD. At the end of the month it is going to Merseyside Model Railway Show. Today it has been part assembled in the shop unit ready for some more detail work to be done and sort a few niddles out on it.

Any way a few shots that Jamie has taken of the layout.

Peter

Man...

Im impressed with those photos of mine Peter, they have come out good, love taking photos of distant shots especially when its has the length of GTD...!

So you are short of operators AGAIN...

Just you then Peter, I will try and make a appearance over that weekend but got to fit it in with Wendy's Shopping Weekend at Birkenhead, so I will probably see you Saturday late or Sunday even later, good luck with the operators Peter...

Jamie

• Like 1

Peter - I drew one of the box plans for you but as you didn't comment I assumed you weren't interested in the rest :blink: (on 15 September 2009 on the old forum)

Dude...

Nice to see you on GTD... BEASTY BOY, will you be making an appearance at Birkenhead... and will you be taking Your club Layout as when I last spoke to you in person, it would be nice seeing you again mate...!

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi Dave

Sorry I thought I had replied but in the transition to the new web I got lost for a while. Sorry about that. I think my comment was great pleases could you help on the rest? If you could now it would be a great help.

Will see you at Merseyside Show

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter

I must have missed seeing your plea about the signaling. If you let me have a good clear track plan, I'll see what I can suggest for you.

Good to see you all at Barrow Hill.

Merfyn.

My ideas for the signaling, probabbly very similar to Dave (beast) fot the right hand end box. I have shown dummys for the yard exits but they could be sub. signals or even running signals , as you already have on the layout, a lot would depend on the drivers view when exiting the yard. At the left hand yard entrance, I feel a trap would be needed.

Sorry my drawing skills leave a lot to be desired, but I know what I mean, hope it makes sense to you.

Merf.

post-1625-078157700 1286443742_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all

Just a quick update. Thanks to Merfyn for the advice am now starting on the signals. Work has been progressing on touching up areas of the scenery and adding some more detail to the layout. Still have got my stock to weather yet hope to be doing that this week as well as fitting some of Pete Harveys new couplings which I am about to order.

Here are a few shots of the layout yesterday when we had a green class 37 runing around testing the track.

Peter

post-6915-098803500 1286728069_thumb.jpg

post-6915-026591700 1286728076_thumb.jpg

post-6915-050932000 1286728082_thumb.jpg

post-6915-091624000 1286728089_thumb.jpg

post-6915-015034700 1286728096_thumb.jpg

post-6915-039243900 1286728103_thumb.jpg

post-6915-088180900 1286728110_thumb.jpg

post-6915-013465700 1286728118_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi,

This is a brillant layout!

The Buildings are very impressive!

Simon

Hi Simon

Thanks for your comments.

On these shots above not all the buildings or on the layout. If you have looked further back in the thread you will see the othe buildings that fit on the front of the layout and just along from the main loading hoppers.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Man... I have more or less the same photos as you do matey, yet I know you took these photos, they look great about time this Layout had a bit more Web support, because its a great layout... that should come when it goes out to the show at the end of this month, 3 weeks and counting...

Keep the photos coming dude...

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi all

As some of you may remember we had a problem of a short on the fiddle yard sidings when working some of the points, causing engines to move on the wrong line. To this end I put in the control panel four rotary switches to stop this. Well we have been testing it this week ready for the next show, and found that the short had gone but I needed four on off switches to ensure that there was no conflict with the main running lines. This has been done but when changing the points at one end there is still a problem in that one point also changes two other points further on. Well today I found it. I wish I could blame Paul or Jamie for it but I cannot it is me. I have cross some wires in one of the connecting plug and sockets. Hope to correct this over the weekend and then (touch wood i.e. my head) it should be OK.

Will let you know.

Peter

Hi Pete & Matto

Thank you for the comments.

At long last found the fault yesterday that has been bugging the operation of the points at one ond of the fiddle yard. I had not crossed two wires over in the plug as I first thought , it was in fact the clamp that holds the cables tight into the 'D' connector. One of the screws had chaffed through a number of cables when it had been tightened thus causing a short when operating either one of the three points in one direction only. Just a simple thing like that but it has taken so long to find it.

Work well under way at getting the layout ready for the show. Will post some more shots in the next few days of some of the weathering being done on the buildings.

Peter:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Here are some shots of the work that has been done to date on the adding of a sky back board and some of the detailing work on the weathering of the buildings. Also a shot of the signals that are being built for the layout. Sorry that a few of the shots are out of focus awaiting new glasses!:rolleyes::unsure:

post-6915-078373600 1288086362_thumb.jpg

post-6915-002447600 1288086370_thumb.jpg

post-6915-088987500 1288086378_thumb.jpg

post-6915-080240500 1288086386_thumb.jpg

post-6915-057395200 1288086394_thumb.jpg

post-6915-068176300 1288086401_thumb.jpg

post-6915-070560200 1288086408_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Got to say your weathering looks great on the building work in the photos above and all the signals, are they all to be put on GTD, didn't think there was that many on the layout, dispite the size of it...?

Look forward to being at Birkenhead 29th-31st Oct 2010...

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi all

Just a short note to say that we had a great time at the Merseyside Show. Thanks to all who helped. Will be back in a short time but a present the GPO or doing some work on the lines up to us. so we are on and off at present.

Peter