Great Tunsley Dale Revisited

trains12

Hi all

Sorry that I have not been on after the Merseyside show but have some problems with Wendys Mum's health down in Devon have just got back again.

Anyway the show was a success in one way but the layout ran bad going into and out of both ends of the fiddle yard due mainly to where the layout was positioned on the cobble stones and pavement in the centre. At one end there was about a 3in. difference in height from the front boards and the back. (see photograph) We could not get it level at all. So many items kept coming off at the board joints.

Never mind many people said how great the buildings looked and the scenery and it had captured the atmosphere of Tunstead where it is based upon.

Just waiting for some more bookings for it. In the mean time the tree making materials have arrived and so the trees will be made and added along the faces of the rocks.

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-063942300 1289467459_thumb.jpg

post-6915-085814900 1289467463_thumb.jpg

post-6915-020740400 1289467468_thumb.jpg

post-6915-025133500 1289467470_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Last night on Youtube I was watching some clips of pairs of 37s leaving Tunstead on the Oakleigh hoppers, boy did they sound good working hard up the incline. Quality!

This was around 1995 I believe and they were battered triple grey and inter-city livery, do you have any photos of tractors in action at Great Tunsley Dale?

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Those Photos look like mine...Haha! They look great...!

Just a shame nothing worked due to all the problems... Hope the next show you attend, it will all be sorted out, and level of course...!

Cheers

Jamie

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi All

On Easter Saturday I am having a bit of an open day down at the unit in Nantlle. Anyone in the area are welcome to call and see use, will have a couple of the layouts either part up or fully up and working. Great Tunsley Dale for one part up Will be open form 10.30am till about 3.30pmHave a cup of tea or coffee and talk about railways. All welcome. Contact me for further details via PM

Peter

Hi Peter,

All looking superb as usual i've missed seeing this glad your back now and sorry to hear about the floor problems thats not on atall well atleast you know for future reference if the exhibition hall floor is like a dirt path then take plenty of packers lol.

Any pics of the moulded ICI hoppers would be good and if you also have any real pics of buxton 37's pulling them or RMC's would also be greatly appreciated shame the ICI kit isn't coming in to fruitition now was really looking forward to owning a rake of those hoppers two!:unsure::blink:

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

All looking superb as usual i've missed seeing this glad your back now and sorry to hear about the floor problems thats not on atall well atleast you know for future reference if the exhibition hall floor is like a dirt path then take plenty of packers lol.

Any pics of the moulded ICI hoppers would be good and if you also have any real pics of buxton 37's pulling them or RMC's would also be greatly appreciated shame the ICI kit isn't coming in to fruitition now was really looking forward to owning a rake of those hoppers two!:unsure::blink:

Cheers.

Hi Richard

The ICI hopper kit is actually started in the casting of the bogie sides and sol bars and other parts etc. The etched sides is still in hand. but should be ready in a couple of months time. In the mean time disscusions are under way on a RTR model for some time this year. Hopefully!

Will keep you all informed.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard

The ICI hopper kit is actually started in the casting of the bogie sides and sol bars and other parts etc. The etched sides is still in hand. but should be ready in a couple of months time. In the mean time disscusions are under way on a RTR model for some time this year. Hopefully!

Will keep you all informed.

Peter

Hi Peter

Do you have any Photos of your WORKS... and the ICI Castings...

Cheers

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi All

In reply to Jamie's request for some shots of the castings for the ICI hoppers here is a shot of some of the castings to date. The main sole bars buffer beams abd the sides of the bogie framesand end plates have been done. At present I am making 70 sets of these for the layout. The main body together with the side gussets and the bogie main frames are awaiting to be sent of to the etchers. Still need to sort out some of the white metal parts ie buffers and vac cylinders, was trying to fit it all into one mould for my casting machine but it is a little to small.:help:

The main RTR model is in discussion with a firm that I used to inspect at when working who are tool and die makers cant say more at this stage.

Cheers Peter

post-6915-0-61192700-1304862809_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Peter,

All looking good on the ICI wagon, hopper but are you happy with the solebar been made in resin as it tends to warp and could buckle the wagon in due course!

Either way I am looking forward to your rtr version of this cracking wagon ;):rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter

Are there any advancement on this layout and what show it will be at next, as I don’t get to see you so much now days...?

Hope you are well...

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi All

Well it is sometime since I last posted on this thread.

First the ICI hoppers At present we are have esimates in from a well known manufacture for the cost of production mould costs. The good news is that the mould will contain both the ICI wagon and also the John Summer wagon so both will be available as RTR models in 4mm scale. In the mean time the kit version of the ICI is awaiting some proof etches. Will keep you informed.

On the layout side little has been done in the last few months due mainly to Glen Gillie but what I have done is sorted out some of the wagon stock, one item is the old Lima bogie ore wagons I have nine of these and to date they have had new bogies of Bachmann origins fitted. They are not strictly correct but are far better than those old Lima ones. Next step is to weather them and add some loads.

Cheers

Peter

post-6915-0-73415000-1318695547.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Peter

I have been a bit quiet myself lately and have'nt seen you since the Llanberris show. When is your next exhibition date for any of your layouts? Also did I see right --- ready to run John Summers hopper wagons! Oh yes indeed where do I order?

I worked 22 years at Shotton Works it was British Steel when I started but they still made 'proper steel' I remember these hoppers were lined up by the dozen both at Bidston docks and at the steel works sidings which a few sidings still remain near Dee marsh. Those were the days!

Anyway sending best wishes and hope to catch up with you soon and don't forget to put me first in the queue for those hoppers!

• Like 1

Hi Andy

The rock faces are all hand carved. I first build up the foundation of the land contours using builders insulation sheets (or packaging polystyrene) cut and carved to the required contours of the land using an old carving seratted knife.

I then use a roughing plaster or undercoat plaster with some burnt umber powder paint added and mix it to a nice thick consistancy ( like wipped cream where you can put the bowel over your head but please dont do that). Dont do a lot at a time , I find an old ice cream tub about half filled is about right. It is then put onto the poly using artists palette knives in different sizes. When the plaster is getting tacky it is then carved using fine palette knives and scribes tto obtain the desired effect. It is then painted with poster paints when dry. I find the acrylic paints dont seem to want to adhere and cover on the rough plaster due I think to the chemicals that are added to it. A final dusting, if needed. is done using weathering powders.

Have put a few shots of when I was doing the quarry entrance tunnel.

hope this has helped.

Cheers peter

post-6915-0-76146800-1318848617.jpg

post-6915-0-87934800-1318848624.jpg

post-6915-0-50954900-1318848628.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Peter Thanks letting me have a good look at Great Tunsley Dale and Glen Gillie on my visit unfortunately half of the photos I took are blurred but the ones that are o.k. are really good so thanks. All the best Andy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter Thanks letting me have a good look at Great Tunsley Dale and Glen Gillie on my visit unfortunately half of the photos I took are blurred but the ones that are o.k. are really good so thanks. All the best Andy.

Hi Andrew

Sorry not been back to you, but in the last eight weeks we have not had the internet on due to BIG problems on the internet line. At long last last week BT final sorted it out.

Anyway it was nice to see you down both. Put some of the photos on the web that you took.

On Jan 21st and 22nd 2012 i.e. in a couple of weeks time GTD will be up and running in Talsarn hall from 9.00am till 5.oopm each day. It is mainly so that photos can be taken ready for an article in one of the mags. All are welcome to come and have ago on operating the layout as well as if they want bring their own stock to room.( it is 16.5mm fine scale track SMP) We will have tea and coffee laid on and even a few biscuits.

Those of you in North Wales please do try and come. Just PM me for directions.

Hope to see you all.

And last a very happy New Year to everybody and Andy Ys team who keep this site running for us all.

Cheers

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just a shot of one of the new engines that is being tried out on GTD. Dont forget that the layout is being photographed this coming weekend at Talysarn hall for one of the modelling mags.all welcome to come and see it on both days

Peter

post-6915-0-71817300-1326558791.jpg

• Like 2

Good luck with the shoot mate, apart from the distance and cost I still have Bronchitis from about Boxing Day. I Do like the 70 and although they run past here I still have not seen a real one yet! Mind you I still haven't seen many running at shows either. All the the best to you, Wendy and Alfie. Andy.

• Like 1

Stil coming along great i see!! :no:

Hi Class 66

You are most wellcome to come and see it this weekend It is being shoot for the Mag this Saturday but on sunday morning having a real good PLAY with anybodies stock running on it . All wellcome. PM me for directions if you can come. It also applies to anyone else.

Peter

Hi All

Well last Saturday Andy York came over to shoot GTD and Glen Gillie for Model Rail. It was a great day and I must thank him and Harry for what they did.

On the Sunday the club members and I had a good "Play" as Wendy says as well as doing some minor repairs to the layout. I also managed to take a few shots. Some of these are below, but they are nowhere as good as the ones that Andy has taken.

Will post some more in the next few days.

Peter

post-6915-0-57700000-1327528833.jpg

post-6915-0-37143200-1327528844.jpg

post-6915-0-55974200-1327528850.jpg

post-6915-0-71597200-1327528857.jpg

post-6915-0-62642300-1327528864.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Peter, looking really good, wish I could have made it. Its good getting two shot in the same day, thats what Martyn did with mine but now it's getting the write up's done!! Always good to have a play as well it makes all the effort of setting up worth while. Looking forward to seeing more pic's. All the best to you all, Andy.

• Like 1